PDA

View Full Version : Why is the South Ward so Underdeveloped?

trulve
05-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Ok. I am going to say this upfront that I am NOT a native Newarker. I am originally from the much hated New York. Yes I am an outsider that moved to the South Ward in such of a nice apartment for an affordable price. I have lived here for five years and I don't understand why the South Ward is so underdeveloped. I mean there is no energy here at all. I go to the Ironbound area and there are lots of things to do. Active commercial areas, lots of entertainment choices and supermarkets with fresh produce. I come home to the South Ward and I expect to see tumbleweed roll down my street. Where is everyone??? Things have gotten worse since the financial crisis with just about 50% of the houses in foreclosure. (I am exaggerating but I am sure it's pretty high).

I agree with you some of the posts I have read in other forums about the lack of real leadership in the South Ward but I don't think our new councilman is going to make any progress either. At this point I am seriously considering moving to Ironbound or even the North Ward.

Can someone fill me in? What's wrong with the South Ward???

Trulve

Battle
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
The South Ward has been the Nulecus for the Black Politians for the last Forty Years----------Ex-Mayor S. James,- strongest support. During the Reign of the Black Politicians-they set out to do no Planning for the Future of the COMMUNITIES that supported them-nor did they Plan for their Children and their Generation to be a part of the most Vital Instruments in any COMMUNITY-which is OWNERSHIP--of BUSINESSES. Un-like the North Ward and East Ward-they have more of a Common Sense of ownership and SELF-Reliance. Where as the OTHER WARDS-(S.W, C.W.,and the W.W.) Were being over-whelmed with the NEW fond-SENSE of OWNERSHIP! This EXPERIENCE in the politics of Black Folk and their COMMUNITY can move US forward to ESTABLISHING a CONCRETE BLUE PRINT that will enable US to have SELF RELYING COMMUNITIES as you described the Ironbound and North Wards as being.

However---that sight you see when walking the streets of the South Ward-of PEOPLE who are Lost and Turned Down-Is the direct and indirect RESULTS of a People who did'nt Know the DIFFERENCE.

zengeist
05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
History is very important here. Ask an older person what the south ward was like in the early 60's. Bergen St, Chancellor Ave, Lyons Av were filled with shops, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. To make a long story short, there were places to go and things to do on the main streets. Those things are gone. Even places like Valley Fair (which is in Irvington) were important because it was like a mall, before malls were established. I remember when Valley fair had a grocery store in it.

Now that people have other places to go, the main streets haven't filled a new role. Besides liquor stores, store front churches, bodegas and beauty salons. A lot of commercial space has been torn down, left with empty lots.

A thing to remember about the south ward is, it's mostly residential with very little attractive commerce. When you compare it to the Ironbound, there's little in the way of anything to make it attractive. There's no convienience to living in the south ward.

I guess it's because there's no interest in developing the southward. The Valley Fair site would make an excellent big box store, but again, there aren't many other sites that would be attractive.

Look at the Home Depot they plopped down on Springfield Av. Nobody goes there, even though theoretically it's a good idea. So the question is when we get something, why don't people go there? Why would people rather go to Bloomfield or Union when the same store is right in their backyard?

trulve
05-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't call myself an eternal optimist but I can't help but feel that there are opportunities out here. Has anyone ever tried to redevelop the South Ward? Are there any plans?

I have heard some of the older residents talk about what used to be here and that the Ward has not recovered from the influx of drugs in the community. And I do agree with the statement about the lack of cohesiveness in the Ward. Has anyone attempted to create a redevelopment plan and present it to the powers that be?

Right now, the community has to get organize, create a plan and push the issue. I am willing to work on it but I don't know anyone. I do have some skills that I can bring to the table.

trulve
05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Look at the Home Depot they plopped down on Springfield Av. Nobody goes there, even though theoretically it's a good idea. So the question is when we get something, why don't people go there? Why would people rather go to Bloomfield or Union when the same store is right in their backyard?[/QUOTE]

I have shopped at the Home Depot, Walgreens and even ate Applebees. From a non-drivers standpoint, the location of this plaza is not any good. The best way for me to get there is go downtown and transfer to another bus. Coming home with bulky items from Home Depot can be frustrating. Another problem is Home Depot and Walgreens are for shoppers with specific needs. The area needs another draw to bring consumers out there.

Inkwell
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
How difficult it is to get a major retailer to open a store in Newark? If it were that simple, Sharpe James would have had several. Even Mr. Hollywood, with mega monied friends and business associates has yet to accomplish it. It's obvious the power elite decided, NEVER to invest in Newark -- after the rebellion -- unless or until it was run by someone that looked like them! Plain and simple. That was the dumbest decision -- economically speaking -- ever, because Newarkers are spending their money elsewhere and these retailers are losing money! Walmart would have been a hit on Springfield Avenue and the West Ward -- former Pabst site -- but no, the power brokers wanted Newark to suffer, and it has for nearly 40 years!:eek:

trulve
05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
How difficult it is to get a major retailer to open a store in Newark? If it were that simple, Sharpe James would have had several. Even Mr. Hollywood, with mega monied friends and business associates has yet to accomplish it. It's obvious the power elite decided, NEVER to invest in Newark -- after the rebellion -- unless or until it was run by someone that looked like them! Plain and simple. That was the dumbest decision -- economically speaking -- ever, because Newarkers are spending their money elsewhere and these retailers are losing money! Walmart would have been a hit on Springfield Avenue and the West Ward -- former Pabst site -- but no, the power brokers wanted Newark to suffer, and it has for nearly 40 years!:eek:

It seems ridiculous to me but there evidence is clear and right in our faces. It just seems since I've been living here that no one has even mentioned developing this section of the city. Even my landlord, who has lived here for over 10 years, drives to Hillside to pick up dinner just about every night. Leaving Newark for your basic needs has become a way of life here.

NewarkKnight
12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Sounds like the typical problems with a lot of suburban communities. If people can reasonably drive somewhere else, they will leave their own community. And you wouldn't believe how far some people will drive! I know people that drive half a hour in their OWN CITY for entertainment, food, etc. That's crazy. People need to develop their own areas. Drugs, politicians, and all that are not as important as the drive of local people.

NewarkKnight
12-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure I believe the "power elite" want to stop Newark from making money, by the way. Business is sometimes about race or class wars, but more often it is simply about trends and money. Sometimes people aren't buying because people aren't buy. Sad but true.

DocMarv
01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Maybe, but the "crime factor" plays a factor since it's in the middle of a neighborhood. It would be better placed near the airport east of Frelinghuysen north of Weequahic Park. Or even 21 along the Passaic near the Comfort Hotel.

And as long as the demographics remain the same in the south, as long as outdated councilmen like Baraka and the like run the show, you will get more of the same unfortunately.

webdubois52
02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Ok. I am going to say this upfront that I am NOT a native Newarker. I am originally from the much hated New York. Yes I am an outsider that moved to the South Ward in such of a nice apartment for an affordable price. I have lived here for five years and I don't understand why the South Ward is so underdeveloped. I mean there is no energy here at all. I go to the Ironbound area and there are lots of things to do. Active commercial areas, lots of entertainment choices and supermarkets with fresh produce. I come home to the South Ward and I expect to see tumbleweed roll down my street. Where is everyone??? Things have gotten worse since the financial crisis with just about 50% of the houses in foreclosure. (I am exaggerating but I am sure it's pretty high).

I agree with you some of the posts I have read in other forums about the lack of real leadership in the South Ward but I don't think our new councilman is going to make any progress either. At this point I am seriously considering moving to Ironbound or even the North Ward.

Can someone fill me in? What's wrong with the South Ward???

Trulve

And 4 years later, nothing has change with Councilman Baraka. I take that back. He's angrier. The angrier he gets the more excuses he makes.

GottfriedK
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
And 4 years later, nothing has change with Councilman Baraka. I take that back. He's angrier. The angrier he gets the more excuses he makes.

Anger is an energy, but it brings heat, not light, to a situation.