PDA

View Full Version : Newark to borrow to fund its budget

jazzyken
11-11-2004, 04:56 PM
5, I agree... Booker will be a good mayor. I think he will enforce the quality of life issues that plague our city.

First thing he will need to do once in office is get rid of the employees that sit and get a paycheck for no work. Get rid of the fluff positions. Fire cousin Tommy and uncle Bill. Start with City Hall and NHA and work his way down. It is residents that are willing to work and looking for employment that truly wants to see the city grow but can not get a job downtown because they do not have a record :D

He will also need to get rid of the "junkies" that work in our city services departments. The employees should not portray what is wrong with the city. I am tired of seeing the "junkies" throwing the garbage on the trucks half-way nodding out. Or the parks people sitting on the curb trying to kick it to the young girls coming down the street. Or the drivers in city vehicles going to cop a bag. He will need to implement random drug testing.

I have been gone for a while so bear with me :rolleyes:

Just a little off the subject. I saw a school bus driver going to cop a bag on Somerset Street and Spruce Street. I called the number on the bus and they said they will investigate the driver. The company is "Laidlaw" (sp?). If you know any children on this route for this company be aware!!!

jazzyken
11-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Newark to borrow to fund its budget
City again relies on one-shot revenue boost from Port Authority
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
BY JEFFERY C. MAYS
Star-Ledger Staff
Newark is preparing to borrow $38 million in revenue anticipation notes to fund its $567 million 2004 municipal budget.

The money would cover funds Newark has not yet received from a legal settlement with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey regarding the lease of its air and sea ports, according to city Business Administrator Richard Monteilh.

"We have an agreement with the Port Authority, but it may not be timely enough," said Monteilh. "We would ask the (city) council to borrow for 60 to 90 days until the money comes in."

It's the second time in two years that Newark is depending on a one-shot revenue boost from the Port Authority to shore up the city's annual budget. Last year, Newark used a $37 million payment from the Port Authority to stabilize the budget.

It's also the second time that Newark's budget will be approved during the final month of the year, meaning the money is all but spent. Last year, the budget was approved with 29 days left in the year -- the latest approval in a decade.

The council appears poised to break last year's record.

The nine-member panel introduced this year's budget Monday. A hearing and possible approval is planned for Dec. 14. The city hand- delivered the 2004 spending plan to Trenton for approval by the state Division of Local Government Services yesterday, but questions from the agency could delay the budget adoption beyond Dec. 14.

Monteilh said the administration has made the decision to use funds from the Port Authority to stabilize the budget for the next two or three years, as opposed to raising property taxes.

"The whole notion behind this is that Newark has to grow its (tax) ratable base," said Monteilh.

With several large-scale development projects pending -- including a new arena, hotel and office space downtown, a Home Depot and high-end condominiums on Springfield Avenue and upscale housing in the old Hahne & Co. building -- there should be enough new property taxes in a few years to replace the Port Authority revenue.

But even with the Port Authority money, city property owners are seeing a rise in property taxes.

Last year, when the tax rate was $2.16 per $100 of assessed value, the average Newark homeowner saw a $1,009 increase over the average $2,609 tax bill in 2002, a 28 percent jump. This year's budget has a tax rate of $2.26 per $100 of assessed value. The average homeowner would pay $3,786 in taxes, an increase of $168, or nearly 5 percent, over last year's average tax bill.

While Monteilh predicts that the Port Authority money will be available in two to three months, the agency is not so definitive.

"We've been in discussions with them, but we have not agreed to any specific dollar amount or when that money will be delivered," said Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman.

An Oct. 7 letter from A. Paul Blanco, the Port Authority's chief financial officer, calls the $38 million revenue prediction "likely," but also cautioned that any payment had to be approved by the Port Authority board.

An extension of the leases on the Port Authority's two other airports, Kennedy International and LaGuardia, pays New York $500 million in a lump-sum and annual base payments of $93.5 million a year. Under a parity clause Newark worked out in its lease, the city could receive a $100 million to $300 million lump-sum payment.

Some city officials said they think the figure will be closer to $450 million, and Newark Mayor Sharpe James, in September, demanded more than a billion dollar lump-sum payment and $144 million in annual rent.

Coleman said negotiations between the authority and the city are ongoing.

Despite James' early introduction of the budget, city council members said the mayor's failure to provide back-up documentation for his revenue projections made the document worthless.

Monteilh said the city council's failure to approve rate increases for the water and sewer utility to cover a $9 million shortfall, helped "wreak havoc" on the budget process.

"We will get through this, but this is not the way a budget should be adopted," said Monteilh

Jeffery C. Mays covers Newark City Hall. He can be reached at jmays@starledger.com or (973) 392-4149.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-17-2004, 11:33 AM
:D

jazzyken
11-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Good morning sweetie... How r u today?? I hope in good spirits :)

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-17-2004, 02:15 PM
It gets my day going :D

What are we having for lunch? :D

MrTim1955
11-17-2004, 02:21 PM
to get some representation for the people in our city government. I am so tired of getting screwed with a tax increase at the end of the year because our elected representatives just don't give a sh*t.

I say dump the incumbents. Anyone currently in a city government position will not get my vote. I hereby offer as much of my property as can hold signs to advertise for the opposition.

jazzyken
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Well the hubbie made spaghetti w/ italian turkey sausage :)

MrTim1955
I say dump the incumbents. Anyone currently in a city government position will not get my vote. I hereby offer as much of my property as can hold signs to advertise for the opposition.

That is where it hurst for them.

Can anyone enlighten me on why the settlement for the PA contract did not have a schedule date of payment(s) :confused:

5Reasons
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Please remember that Cory is about to run with upwards to 7 INCUMBENTS on his "reform" team. From cheating on their sick husband preachers to drunk driving assailants, Cory just can't SAY NO to the incumbents on this council.

This gang is one of the most incompetent councils in AMERICA - especially for a major city. The council has no organizational structure. Their subcommittees don't meet regularly. They don't have organizational goals. AND THEY DO VIRTUALLY NO OVERSIGHT of the James administration - which, of course, is the reason why Sharpe is so darn powerful as it is.

However, in order to close this budget, I offer my past solutions. Cut the spending and FIRE THE BURBARIANS, first, last AND ALWAYS. We should start with the one day on AND THREE DAYS OFF firefighters that make $90,000+ to work what amounts to less than 2.5 months out of the year.

jazzyken
11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
5 I have one question... why would he even run with the incumbents anyway??? What is your take on this?

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
to get some representation for the people in our city government. I am so tired of getting screwed with a tax increase at the end of the year because our elected representatives just don't give a sh*t.

Make sure I get your address later so I can give you one of my signs!

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-17-2004, 03:56 PM
5 I have one question... why would he even run with the incumbents anyway??? What is your take on this?

Cory knows he's a joke by himself.

Now the same council he blasted before and during his election as councilman is "Necessary" for him to get elected Mayor.

Cory will use ANYBODY to get elected. :cool:

jazzyken
11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Realistically with the poor job of the council at this time, does he really NEED them to get elected?
I think the people that voted for these incumbents for the last elections are starting to realize "what" is in office as opposed to what can be there. I personally will not vote for Bell (Central Ward) because he has not done things necessary to make the ward a better place. We need new representation and leadership.

You know as I typed my response I had to think back to our presidential election :mad:

Any thoughts???

counterattack
11-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Cory has not made any differrence in the city, why should we vote for him because he say he is change. I say we not vote for none of the above and look for talent from within that understands who and what Newarkers are about Cory is not that person and unfortunatley Sharpe and crew has forgotten.

ProSouth
11-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Both of them get's nothing done.

counterattack
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
John don't even think about putting your name on a ballot, with the exception of being the Mayors son you have contributed nothing to the growth of this city and even worse than that you have not pushed for fresh blood in these positions at least ron jr can say he acomplished that. keep your womanizing behind in the northward that is your best contrbution.

MrTim1955
11-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Make sure I get your address later so I can give you one of my signs!

Ask your dad. He'll tell you.

MrTim1955
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Cory has not made any differrence in the city, why should we vote for him because he say he is change. I say we not vote for none of the above and look for talent from within that understands who and what Newarkers are about Cory is not that person and unfortunatley Sharpe and crew has forgotten.

Cory didn't impress me other than he wasn't the incumbant.

Sometimes we need to make a change just for changes sake whether the candidate is good or not. Sometimes that is all it takes as the catalyst for someone decent to step for the next election.

I am a firm believer in term limits. If you stay more than 2 terms, you have turned the position from representing the people into a job. I don't want my representative to just sit around collecting a paycheck. I want him to look after my interests.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-17-2004, 08:58 PM
John don't even think about putting your name on a ballot, with the exception of being the Mayors son you have contributed nothing to the growth of this city and even worse than that you have not pushed for fresh blood in these positions at least ron jr can say he acomplished that. keep your womanizing behind in the northward that is your best contrbution.

I've stayed out of politics and focused on my career. I don't think there is any fault with that. The fact that I have a college degree, juris doctorate degree, am from Newark, and have a 19 year military career says a lot. I could have easily left the city, ignored where I grew up, and run around acting stuck up, but if you know me, I am one of the most down to earth folks around and have NEVER thrown my father's position in anyone's face.

Its funny how folks like you want fresh blood with ZERO experience. I actually give Ron Jr. more respect than Cory and he was ESSENTIAL to introducing Cory to Newarkers the first time out. I would vote for Ron Jr. for Mayor over Booker any day of the week, but politics doesn't work like that. For top positions you need money to compete, hell, I didn't think either Kerry or Bush were the BEST candidates for President, but those were our choices. I have learned a lot from my father and am sure I could enhance the council.

I'm not running against Ron Jr. so relax, you can still vote for both of us :D

p.s. There will be no McGreev scandal here!

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-17-2004, 09:08 PM

Life isn't always what you want. Right now there 3 possibly more for Mayor; Sharpe, Rice, and Booker (unless you are throwing your hat in the ring), and I think these will be the only choices.

So if the elections were held tomorrow, who would you vote for? Three choices THATS IT. You could want Colin Powell to run, but you only have these 3. Who do you pick?

Seriously, I think true change can only come on an individual level. You could have a different Mayor every year, but if an individual fails to educate themself, gets hooked on drugs, repeatedly breaks the law, refuses serious attempts at maintaining or seeking a job, or has 2-3 baby daddies there is only so far the majority of these folks will go in life.

5Reasons
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Again, the problem with your "the Mayor doesn't control individual behavior theory" is a denial of the power and influence that the Mayor and his/her cadre has. While we talk a good game about "democracy," most elements of our society are still predicated on a class-based hierarchy. Simply put, people take their social cues from society's elites. If the Mayor and the council fill their day with helping friends get jobs and finding a million ways to get side contracts and kickbacks for various projects, then that quasi-lawlessness filters down.

The problem with Newark and all of the problems with poverty is, in part, a problem of the structure of Newark. Newark has taken on TOO MANY social service projects and frankly, we have TOO MUCH LOW INCOME HOUSING. Warehousing the poor only serves to increasingly socially and economically isolate the poor andd that fosters to perpetuate its own subculture (i.e. "The Culture of Poverty.").

Newark has to have the courage to stop doing the work for the whole friggin state. To make this simple, Newark has to OFFLOAD the poor. I've run the numbers. Our current poverty rate is 28%, which is about 75,600 people (based on 270,000). Now divide that by 3 and that's 25,200 poor families. I don't think any economy can sustain itself with a poverty rate above 20% and frankly, if you want to move the city forward, you should set a firm goal of 15% poverty rate. Now don't lose perspective, at 15% the poverty rate in Newark would still be more than twice the state average; however, you would be able to better manage the subculture. In order to get down to the 15% poverty rate, we are going to have to offload about 35,000 poor people (or about 10,000 low-income housing units). This is why my obsession is with tearing down Elizabeth Ave. If we gentrify that block alone and truly work to get these people OUT OF THE CITY (and preferablly out of the state), we can make some real improvements. And remember, by ripping Elizabeth Ave that would take us halfway to our goal of ripping down 10,000 low-income units.

Newark has to take a deep breath and step back. The facts are IN PRINT: there are NO JOBS for the cronically poor and low-skilled workers in Newark. Our downtown economy functions, mostly, for an educated class. There are fewer Newarkers that work in Newark today than they did 20 YEARS ago. The kinds of jobs that could absorb these people are out in burbalandia. By continuing to house these people WE ARE MAKING MATTERS WORSE. We have to stop taking the segregation fees and help Newark produce a more balanced economy.

counterattack
11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
John don't brag about your so-called qualifications you know Kerry had the same degree and miltary experience and if it didn't mean squat in good ole patriotic america what makes you think it will play in newark. bottom line you have done nothing to deserve to have your name on a ballot and people need to tell you the truth i will not vote or support you just because you are the mayor's son. we have other young qualified brothers and sisters in this city who has actually done something or tried to make a difference in our city. like Ras Baraks, Patrick Council, Anton Wheeler, Angela Garretson , Ron jr. Anibal Ramos, etc all who have done something that they can point too and say I tried to make a difference what have you done? I can answer it for you cause I DO KNOW YOU ........Nothing but make excuses on why we have to wait our turn well the wait is over and guess what buddy in our books your the last on the list.

psst. by the way anyone who cares and really want to make a difference their is a meeting tonight at six at a church on clinton ave up the street from Johns place (sorry I dont have the name) with young people comming together to discuss our future I think Ras and Rock from SEIU called this meeting all are invited.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
John don't brag about your so-called qualifications you know Kerry had the same degree and miltary experience and if it didn't mean squat in good ole patriotic america what makes you think it will play in newark. bottom line you have done nothing to deserve to have your name on a ballot and people need to tell you the truth i will not vote or support you just because you are the mayor's son. we have other young qualified brothers and sisters in this city who has actually done something or tried to make a difference in our city. like Ras Baraks, Patrick Council, Anton Wheeler, Angela Garretson , Ron jr. Anibal Ramos, etc all who have done something that they can point too and say I tried to make a difference what have you done? I can answer it for you cause I DO KNOW YOU ........Nothing but make excuses on why we have to wait our turn well the wait is over and guess what buddy in our books your the last on the list.

psst. by the way anyone who cares and really want to make a difference their is a meeting tonight at six at a church on clinton ave up the street from Johns place (sorry I dont have the name) with young people comming together to discuss our future I think Ras and Rock from SEIU called this meeting all are invited.

And you can't give me one example where I bad mouthed ANY of them.

If you read my post clearly...I only mentioned choices FOR MAYOR, and none of the people you mentioned can raise the 1-3 million necessary to run.

Can't make meeting. I'll be in Atlantic City with Governor, Sharpe and Rice Sr. (Doing nothing according to you, I guess)

P.s. Kerry WON in New Jersey, New York, and Newark

An even better question is.....What did BUSH do other than be named Bush to become President? and did you vote for Bush?

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Again, the problem with your "the Mayor doesn't control individual behavior theory" is a denial of the power and influence that the Mayor and his/her cadre has. While we talk a good game about "democracy," most elements of our society are still predicated on a class-based hierarchy. Simply put, people take their social cues from society's elites. If the Mayor and the council fill their day with helping friends get jobs and finding a million ways to get side contracts and kickbacks for various projects, then that quasi-lawlessness filters down.

The problem with Newark and all of the problems with poverty is, in part, a problem of the structure of Newark. Newark has taken on TOO MANY social service projects and frankly, we have TOO MUCH LOW INCOME HOUSING. Warehousing the poor only serves to increasingly socially and economically isolate the poor andd that fosters to perpetuate its own subculture (i.e. "The Culture of Poverty.").

Newark has to have the courage to stop doing the work for the whole friggin state. To make this simple, Newark has to OFFLOAD the poor. I've run the numbers. Our current poverty rate is 28%, which is about 75,600 people (based on 270,000). Now divide that by 3 and that's 25,200 poor families. I don't think any economy can sustain itself with a poverty rate above 20% and frankly, if you want to move the city forward, you should set a firm goal of 15% poverty rate. Now don't lose perspective, at 15% the poverty rate in Newark would still be more than twice the state average; however, you would be able to better manage the subculture. In order to get down to the 15% poverty rate, we are going to have to offload about 35,000 poor people (or about 10,000 low-income housing units). This is why my obsession is with tearing down Elizabeth Ave. If we gentrify that block alone and truly work to get these people OUT OF THE CITY (and preferablly out of the state), we can make some real improvements. And remember, by ripping Elizabeth Ave that would take us halfway to our goal of ripping down 10,000 low-income units.

Newark has to take a deep breath and step back. The facts are IN PRINT: there are NO JOBS for the cronically poor and low-skilled workers in Newark. Our downtown economy functions, mostly, for an educated class. There are fewer Newarkers that work in Newark today than they did 20 YEARS ago. The kinds of jobs that could absorb these people are out in burbalandia. By continuing to house these people WE ARE MAKING MATTERS WORSE. We have to stop taking the segregation fees and help Newark produce a more balanced economy.

The problem is getting the state to pick up their fair share.

JoefromPGH
11-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I didn't realize it was THIS BAD...and this excludes the impact to individaul homeowners from redistribution created by reassessment

"Last year, when the tax rate was $2.16 per $100 of assessed value, the average Newark homeowner saw a $1,009 increase over the average $2,609 tax bill in 2002, a 28 percent jump. This year's budget has a tax rate of $2.26 per $100 of assessed value. The average homeowner would pay $3,786 in taxes, an increase of $168, or nearly 5 percent, over last year's average tax bill. "

I see my old home on Hinsdale Place...my folks paid $400 per year into the mid-70's. The taxes on the same property are now a whopping $4,400 per year (just before reassessment they were around $1,200). This information is publicly available on the internet, by the way.

This is a total outrage. Even those homeowners that may have benefitted from reassessment are getting hit harder and those that were hurt from reassessment...WELL HOW THE H*** CAN THEY AFFORD THESE TAXES?

Folks...its time for new leadership in City Hall!

5Reasons
11-18-2004, 11:12 AM
John,

The State WON'T pick up the costs. Ergo, Newark has to get out of the "poverty game." Trust me - we can set up a fund for as little as 5 million per year and we can specialize in OFFLOADING low-income families to other OUT OF COUNTY munis and out of state. It wouldn't take much work and these people are easy to move.

Joe,

Please keep some perspective on the property taxing issue. From 1994 to 2001, the real dollar tax rate went down over 20%. Sharpe and the council kept property taxes level for most of the 90s and it was only the fallout from the recession of 2001 that you started to see the stress from the Feds get thrown down to the local level.

Again, Newark needs to CUT SPENDING in order to keep its tax bill level. That means, simply, renegotiating certain contract with certain unions and FORCING THEM to pick up some of the healthcare costs.

It also means, sadly, cutting the workforce. AND BY THAT, I mean EVERYONE. I mean POLICE, FIRE and social services.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Tax increases within a municipality are State LAW and must happen every 1-3 years. Newark went 43 YEARS without an increase and was ORDERED by the STATE to reval. What don't you understand? It wasn't done by choice.

The property values went UP! That means the house you describe, which was probaly bought for peanuts is worth 3-4 times more.

On top of that, Newark STILL has the lowest taxes in the county!

counterattack
11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
you won't be doing nothing but hanging on daddy's coatail and even if you were here you would not attend the meeting cause he wouldn't approve of it who are you kidding you have no independence do yourself a favor don't even think about running you will loose.

MrTim1955
11-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Tax increases within a municipality are State LAW and must happen every 1-3 years. Newark went 43 YEARS without an increase and was ORDERED by the STATE to reval. What don't you understand? It wasn't done by choice.

There doesn't have to be an associated tax increase to go with it. Revaluation does nothing more than to insure that the property is taxed at the proper valuation.

Tax increases are to used to fund the city at higher levels. Spending must be curtailed and brought under control rather than just funding more and more out of the taxpayers pocket.

You mentioned that the tax increase was due to fewer federal dollars. Then the programs that those dollars funded should be curtailed and not paid for out the pockets of local people. If we can't live without those services for some reason, cuts should be made to the fat in other parts of the budget before increasing taxes.

The elected representatives get a salary that is pretty close to mine. The main difference is that they get a lot of extra perks (like a car for instance). These things should be looked at before increasing the taxes.

Times are tough for everyone. Let the elected representatives feel the pinch like the rest of us rather than living off the backs of the taxpayers.

counterattack
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
There doesn't have to be an associated tax increase to go with it. Revaluation does nothing more than to insure that the property is taxed at the proper valuation.

Tax increases are to used to fund the city at higher levels. Spending must be curtailed and brought under control rather than just funding more and more out of the taxpayers pocket.

You mentioned that the tax increase was due to fewer federal dollars. Then the programs that those dollars funded should be curtailed and not paid for out the pockets of local people. If we can't live without those services for some reason, cuts should be made to the fat in other parts of the budget before increasing taxes.

The elected representatives get a salary that is pretty close to mine. The main difference is that they get a lot of extra perks (like a car for instance). These things should be looked at before increasing the taxes.

Times are tough for everyone. Let the elected representatives feel the pinch like the rest of us rather than living off the backs of the taxpayers.

those perks are nothing and would save this city very little it amazes me how this is always used as an issue. The bottom line is there should have been a reval those residents in the east and north wards were paying less taxes than the other wards for years now they complain about having to pay their fair share well they get no sympathy from me I have been paying my fair share for years.

MrTim1955
11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
those perks are nothing and would save this city very little it amazes me how this is always used as an issue.

There is a lot of fat in the budget. Just take a look at it. I was using a quick "for instance."

The whole point is to trim the fat before raising taxes. If there is a penny that doesn't provide something for the entire city then it should be cut before taxes are raised.

I understand about the value of my property going up. I planned for it and wasn't taken by surprise. I understand the value of revaluation. However, that doesn't give the council and mayor the right to keep adding services that are unnecessary and raising the tax rate.

5Reasons
11-18-2004, 12:45 PM
The real problem is that THERE IS NOT A LOT OF FAT in the budget, unless, of course, you count the fatties in the fire department making $90,000+ for one day on AND THREE DAYS OFF.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. WHENEVER anyone starts in on the perks, it is a REDHERRING. All of that stuff together doesn't add up to 4% of the budget. Now from a symbolic standpoint you should cut that kind of stuff out. Also, we've discussed this before - the City should get OUT OF THE BUSINESS of funding ethnic parades, Gospel concerts, etc.

But again, the thing that's driving up your costs are the HUMAN RESOURCE costs. And you can cut into a lot of this spending if you shifted the costs of health care from the City to the employees.

I'm telling you, if everyone is serious about maintaining costs under control, the City is going to have to negotiate hard on this issue.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-18-2004, 01:17 PM
you won't be doing nothing but hanging on daddy's coatail and even if you were here you would not attend the meeting cause he wouldn't approve of it who are you kidding you have no independence do yourself a favor don't even think about running you will loose.

I don't have any dislike of anyone, including yourself, and plan to run. Whether you do not like Sharpe or myself it is a free country and I will do as I see fit.

I think the Mayor has done a good job and maybe we all need to learn how he was able to stay in office for so long, while assisting Newark's progress. You on the other hand would prefer to attack folks like me instead of saying, "Hey, maybe they learned something positive from their fathers/mother" (ie myself, Ron jr.,and Crump)

p.s. you obviously don't know me very if you think I only support who my father says support. You didn't list one african american male on your potential candidate list which hasn't worked in or around the Mayor, so give me some potential for LIVING with the guy for umpteen years.

counterattack
11-18-2004, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=John James]I don't have any dislike of anyone, including yourself, and plan to run. Whether you do not like Sharpe or myself it is a free country and I will do as I see fit.

It is you trying to put yourself off as a politician that I should support, heck I even support your father and admire some of the work he has done as far as bringing this city to another level. promoting fresh leadership is my only complaint about him and I am tired of supporting these dreams of wanting to die in office that he and others have. The truth is we have problems that have to be addressed with fresh leadership and if his only answer is you then he is on the wrong page.

]

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-18-2004, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=John James]I don't have any dislike of anyone, including yourself, and plan to run. Whether you do not like Sharpe or myself it is a free country and I will do as I see fit.

It is you trying to put yourself off as a politician that I should support, heck I even support your father and admire some of the work he has done as far as bringing this city to another level. promoting fresh leadership is my only complaint about him and I am tired of supporting these dreams of wanting to die in office that he and others have. The truth is we have problems that have to be addressed with fresh leadership and if his only answer is you then he is on the wrong page.

]

I have NEVER put myself out there as a potential candidate until recently, so how can you say I've been trying? The bottom line is that I HAVE learned from Sharpe. I do have an education. I have not run around like odb making baby mommas. I have NOT sat in Newark all my life and merely blamed elected officials, and most importantly I realize that a lot of Newark's problems are BIGGER than city government.

For example, Newark has a drug abuse problem. Do you blame it on the local police which have a small counterdrug budget OR the Federal government and DEA who have ADMITTED they have not stemmed the tide of drugs being smuggled into the U.S. even though they have a multi-billion dollar budget? Our jails are overcrowded so folks HAVE been getting locked up.

counterattack
11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
I have NEVER put myself out there as a potential candidate until recently, so how can you say I've been trying? The bottom line is that I HAVE learned from Sharpe. I do have an education. I have not run around like odb making baby mommas. I have NOT sat in Newark all my life and merely blamed elected officials, and most importantly I realize that a lot of Newark's problems are BIGGER than city government.

For example, Newark has a drug abuse problem. Do you blame it on the local police which have a small counterdrug budget OR the Federal government and DEA who have ADMITTED they have not stemmed the tide of drugs being smuggled into the U.S. even though they have a multi-billion dollar budget? Our jails are overcrowded so folks HAVE been getting locked up.

I have no problem with you, but if you really want to find out what politics I know then call me at 973-390-4183. I have nothing to hide!

I know you more than you think trust me and I know your politics cause we have talked about them on many occasions and guess what I disagree with them but this does not mean I have a problem with you I just would not elect you to represent me. My reasons for this is simple other than you stating you learned from your father you have not put any of those teachings into action unlike Ron jr. who has at least tried to make changes and on many occasions have been accused of betraying his father. you say that you know of all these problems that exists yet what have you done as an individual to address these problems, are you to tell me that what qualifies a canidate to be an elected official is someone who may have learned something from his father who happens to be an elected official yet the son has done nothing while the father was an elected official that proves he is qualified.

I DISAGREE

JoefromPGH
11-19-2004, 01:38 PM

The property values went UP! That means the house you describe, which was probaly bought for peanuts is worth 3-4 times more.

On top of that, Newark STILL has the lowest taxes in the county!

John,

I totally understand the revaluation process and the impact it had. Heck, we tried to block the state for so many years that the piper had to be paid at some point...

But, what does last year's 39% increase in the average homeowner's tax have to do with revaluation? With that, even many of those homeowners who benefitted from lower relative assessments are now paying higher taxes than before. And yes, Newark's taxes are the lowest in the county. But so is per capita income.

I admit, I am being a little rough on the administration. There is just so much anyone can do. Taxes are skyrocketing everywhere. When bushee says we all have more money to spend because of HIS tax cuts, he ought to really see where the money is being spent - to pay higher state and local taxes!

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-20-2004, 12:42 AM
I know you more than you think trust me and I know your politics cause we have talked about them on many occasions and guess what I disagree with them but this does not mean I have a problem with you I just would not elect you to represent me. My reasons for this is simple other than you stating you learned from your father you have not put any of those teachings into action unlike Ron jr. who has at least tried to make changes and on many occasions have been accused of betraying his father. you say that you know of all these problems that exists yet what have you done as an individual to address these problems, are you to tell me that what qualifies a canidate to be an elected official is someone who may have learned something from his father who happens to be an elected official yet the son has done nothing while the father was an elected official that proves he is qualified.

I DISAGREE

Enjoy the Holidays :D

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-20-2004, 12:44 AM
John,

I totally understand the revaluation process and the impact it had. Heck, we tried to block the state for so many years that the piper had to be paid at some point...

But, what does last year's 39% increase in the average homeowner's tax have to do with revaluation? With that, even many of those homeowners who benefitted from lower relative assessments are now paying higher taxes than before. And yes, Newark's taxes are the lowest in the county. But so is per capita income.

I admit, I am being a little rough on the administration. There is just so much anyone can do. Taxes are skyrocketing everywhere. When bushee says we all have more money to spend because of HIS tax cuts, he ought to really see where the money is being spent - to pay higher state and local taxes!

Thanks for comments.

The entire NJ tax system is screwed up and everyone now knows it. How does it get fixed is the best question?

rice2006
11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I have been reading the back and forths on the issue of change and new blood. Just a few observations and comments:

-for those that want change, don't just vote for anyone promising change WITHOUT a specific plan of action and what kind of change they advocate; change for the sake of change can be a big mistake and bad change does not benefit anyone either;

-if you support change and those that advocate it, then you have to help our campaigns financially. I appreciate everyone's stated support here and will need more of it if I and others of us are to win, but WE NEED MONEY!!!! I do not have pay for play money that the incumbents get and I am not getting any donations from Oprah or national press coverage that sets me up as the new face of national Democratic politics. Change costs and real change agents (which I hope I represent) need the dollars to compete;

-even when we win, the choices and decisions we will have to make to clean up this city financially are gonna cost the city in the early years. This city council has been so derelict in making the tough decisions to put us a real sound economic footing, it will take at least four years of tough budgeting and institutional reorganization to begin to see the light of day.

Change is hard, but good for the soul.

PS: If you would like to help, please feel free to make contributions payable to "The Friends of Ron Rice, Jr. 2006" and mail to 35-37 Colleen Street, Newark, NJ 07106-0700

PSS: Check out my specific vision for the city at www.ron-rice.com