PDA

View Full Version : Question?!?!

jazzyken
11-30-2004, 10:18 AM
As of today what is Newark's death toll for the year???
I had a contact at NPD but he is on vacation.

Doofus1
11-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Last I read, it was 82, which is a lot higher than the 68 for all of last year.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Newark's murder rate is 77 the exact same as it was last year. Please read the ENTIRE article Doofus.

Newark police call 4 killings an execution
Probe of motive continues
Sunday, November 28, 2004
BY KASI ADDISON AND SULEMAN DIN
Star-Ledger Staff
Four people whose bodies were found in a vacant lot next to a Newark church Friday morning were targeted for execution and not the victims of a random crime, police said yesterday.

Authorities were otherwise tight-lipped about possible motives for the fatal shootings of the woman and three men found dead next to St. Thomas Aquinas Church on Ludlow Street in the city's South Ward.

"We have made progress on the case and are following leads that look promising," Lt. Derek Glenn, a Newark police spokesman, said yesterday. "But we are not releasing details on a lot of information for fear it will compromise the ongoing investigation."

Glenn said the victims, all Newark residents, were targeted, but he would not disclose whether it was believed they were killed in the lot or beforehand.

The bodies of Kyhron Ward, 26; his brother, Jermeil Ward, 24; Camilo Reyes, 32; and 34-year-old Carmen Estronza were found about 7:30 a.m. Friday in the rear of the vacant lot, which is on Ludlow just south of Evergreen Avenue.

Police said each had been shot in the head and the bodies lined up next to one another. They were fully dressed and wearing dark jackets, one with a ski mask over his head.

Large pools of blood were visible in the lot Friday.

The bodies had been discovered by a church caretaker after a neighbor told him that it appeared garbage had been dumped in the back of the lot.

Neighbors later recalled hearing shots about 3 a.m. but said the sound of gunfire is common in the neighborhood, and none called police.

Patrons and an employee of La Villa Utuadeņa, a nightclub at the corner of Ludlow and Evergreen, said Estronza and Reyes were regulars and were in the club the morning they were killed. They said the two left about 2:30 a.m. in the company of one or two men, but there was no sign of a dispute.

"They only came here to play pool," said Ines Rodriguez, a bartender. "They weren't troublemakers or anything like that. They were very good people. It's so shocking when stuff like this happens."

Rodriguez said her boss, who was at the bar that night, told her that the men who left with the couple were the other two victims. But a male patron, who asked not to be named, said he was there when they left and that they were not accompanied by the other two victims. He said police had showed him a picture of the victims.

Another patron, Vivian Scheuer, said Estronza had been a witness to a murder of one of her relatives, Edwin Reyes-Cruz, near her apartment on Frelinghuysen Avenue in September. Investigators said they have looked into a possible connection but by yesterday morning were exploring other possible motives.

Rodriguez said Estronza had an adult daughter -- who had children of her own -- and two younger sons, not yet teenagers.

Scheuer said the neighborhood had been plagued by violence in recent months.

"I have been to the funeral home so many times this year, it is really starting to scare the hell out of me," she said.

State records show that both Ward brothers had criminal records, Kyhron for narcotics distribution. Reyes had two convictions, one for weapon possession.

A woman who described herself as Kyhron Ward's former girlfriend said she had seen the news on the television about the murders but learned only yesterday morning from a cousin that Ward was among the dead.

The woman, who gave her name only as Latisha, said she and Ward lived together for a year in her East Orange apartment and remained friendly after breaking up.

Ward and his brother Jermeil had a close relationship and had been at their aunt's house for Thanksgiving, she said, adding that she spoke with Kyhron Ward Wednesday and had seen him a week earlier.

"He was a quiet person, not like a rowdy person; he kept to himself," Latisha said. "He didn't go looking for trouble. Who looks for trouble? Trouble has a way of finding you."

Latisha wiped away tears as she clutched photos of a smiling Ward playing with her children. "He was good with children. He was good to me," she said.

Ward had two sons and a daughter of his own whom he helped support by working at his grandfather's masonry business, she said.

Latisha said she did not recognize the names of Reyes or Estronza.

The Rev. Raul Comesanas, pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas, said he did not find out about the killings until a parishioner called him Friday morning.

He said the killings were yet another setback for a community that has been struggling with drug addiction, prostitution and gang-related violence. Yesterday Comesanas presided over the funeral of a parishioner's grandson, 16-year-old Edwin Figueroa, who was gunned down last week after leaving a Dunkin' Donuts near his North Ward home.

"We are on the verge of giving into the culture of death," the pastor said. "We have a war going on between the culture of life and culture of death."

Comesanas said he is concerned by the rising number of funerals he finds himself conducting for African-American and Hispanic youths.

The Ludlow Street killings, and the slaying of a 23-year-old man whose body was dumped from a moving SUV on Raymond Boulevard Wednesday, brought the city's murder tally to 77, the same as it was at this time a year ago.

Staff writers William Kleinknecht, Mark Mueller and Guy Sterling contributed to this report.

black4rob2
11-30-2004, 02:22 PM
All this shows is that we are still in the same place we were last year...No progress has been made for this dear old city. No programs, no education reform....no nothing....just bodies all over the damn place...

Doofus1
11-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Mea culpa, Mr. James.

black4rob2
11-30-2004, 05:03 PM
quoted him as being highly upset over this events....As much respect I have for James....I think the violence in this city has been on the back burner for awhile within his administration.

Let's hope he really mean it about taking action.....

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-01-2004, 12:18 AM
who has claimed to actually STOP a murder in any city. Everyone attempts to fight crime, but murder is a whole different animal and 99% of Newark's Murders are drug related or domestic violence.

5Reasons
12-01-2004, 09:44 AM
John,

When you get a chance, can you get me some information. How many active officers does NPD have on the force? And, how many functioning roving minivan precincts does NPD own?

I believe, and don't quote me, but I really do recall reading that arrests were up last year.

jazzyken
12-01-2004, 10:34 AM
John, I do not believe that 99% of murders are b/c of drugs and domestic violence. I would bet they are from gangs and drugs (in that order). The gang activity in this city has risen over the last 5 years with the NPD beginning its Gang Task Force.
What is trend of task force activity in relation to gang activity? I am sure someone in NPD tracks and trends this activity.

5Reasons
12-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Jazz,

I have the spread sheet for all murders in Essex County from 2000 to 2003 and I've tried to do an analysis of the times, victims and locations. I also have the race/gender of the victim and of the suspected perp (if that data is available.).

Much of the data suggests that homocide is driven by the drug trade. An inordinate amount of murders occur between 10pm and 6am and on blocks that are known to have signficant open-air drug activity. For the most part, you are overwhlemingly likely to be killed by someone like you. If you're a black male, you will be killed by a black male; likewise for Latinos.

The thing that jumps out at me when I'm looking at the spreadsheet is the number of multiple murders has gone up in the last 3 years. Now without knowing the facts of the case, that suggests gang disputes.

The second cause of murder is domestic violence. From 2000 to 2003, over 60 women have been killed. Of these cases, less than 10% were killed by another woman. Nearly 60% were killed by a man (I assume their spouse or whatever they call it these days) and nearly 1/3rd have NO FRIGGIN SUSPECT.

Again, I'm not sure what we can do to stop domestic homocide; however, the homocides that keep coming up on the grid happen in very, VERY predictable areas. We have to do something about these red zones.

ProSouth
12-01-2004, 11:49 AM
In the mid 80's in Newark, crack controlled the streets. This is when our murder rate began to increase. It has fluctuated over the last 20 years but we have been "hoodwinked" into believing the "public" definitions of crimes to either pacify us or mislead us. For instance, What is the difference between the groups of organized drug dealers who sold crack and powdered cocaine and murdered and had public shoot-outs on the streets of Newark in the 80's and these kids and young adults who sell cocaine and heroin and murder and have public shoot-outs and just so happen to be labeled Crips and Bloods today?????? The only different is what they call themselves and what the police call them.
Also, the FBI since the early 80's have known that the murderous, drug dealing Crips and Bloods of the West Coast was traveling to many parts of the East Coast selling drugs and setting up franchises here. We talked about it and did nothing at all.
Then during the latter part of the 90's into 2000 urban politicians and police departments all accross America (including Sharpe and Santiago) were BRAGGING about the decrease in crime and using it as a huge slap on the back during their campaigns. Look at where we are now. We saw this coming with our eyes open.
The gang movement here in Newark is a direct creation of the crack drug epidemic in Newark in the 80's. 99.9% of these so-called Crips and Bloods doing these murders today are heavily involved in the drug trade. Remove the drugs and you will successfully defeat the gangs and most of the murders.

Who do we blame??? First ourselves for raising our children into these murderers. Secondly, our reactive elected officials for being warned that this problem was coming 20 years ago and literally lending lip-service and weak answers to the problem (i.e.: Building up Santiago to being some crime fighting Police Genius instead of focusing on the real problem). Thirdly, ourselves again for not being tough enough to change our situation. If we demanded change from ourselves and our elected officials without fear we would drop the murder rate considerably.

black4rob2
12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
To add to your statements of drugs and murderd being directly related... these guys kill for territory and they kill for product...All of which leads to bigger profits for themselves or organizations...

What is ashame is that I believe the problem is only going to get worse before it gets better.

We've all heard the reports about the overcrowdness in the jails and how many are soon to be release through the parole program. of the many that will be release, more than half of that group will begin to conduct their businesses again...Therefore looking for territory that has been or is being occupied by someone else. The scarcity of these prime locations due to police cleanup and more gang involvement only leads to more violence as they try to take it over....

If you guys ever get the chance to watch The Wire on HBO, you will see a huge correlation to this city all the way from the drug trade to the politicians...(Yesterday I mentioned The Sopranos...I guess I'm an HBO publicist.)

The more corners or hot spots the cops put a stop to the more violence we will see as these thugs try to fight for position in their specific market.

Pro...not to sound racist or anything like that but back in the 70's and 80's those were not gangs so to speak, but mobsters...
It wasn't that bad because they had most of the public officials on payroll as it was...

Bloods and Crips are different though...I mean sure they have some of these guys on payroll, but irregardless, they have a different skin tone so they are forced to do most of their business on their on...

jazzyken
12-01-2004, 12:47 PM
5ReasonsI have the spread sheet for all murders in Essex County from 2000 to 2003 and I've tried to do an analysis of the times, victims and locations. I also have the race/gender of the victim and of the suspected perp (if that data is available.).

Outside of Newark (Roseland, Maplewood etc) I am sure they have a high domestic violence. I was referring to Newark in particular.

ProSouthIn the mid 80's in Newark, crack controlled the streets.

I do not remember the big crack days... I was too young then but I remember when marijuana was the thing :)

Over the last ten years or so, the drug activity in certain areas has increased tremendously and I can say NPD did not address it at the time, so now we have major distibution centers all across Newark. Central Ward is horrible. Look at Spuce St and Somerset (Prudential). I remember when I used to walk pass those houses to go to Prince St to visit relatives/friends (where the drugs were rampid). Now that area is impossible to get by without being approached by dealers. Dayton St same problem.

Where was the NPD presence over the last ten years? :mad:

Now that I have vented.... what can we do NOW? Newark is not the worst place in the world but if you live here it seems like it.

This board is filled with great minds and we have debated many things, but truly and realistically what can we do??? What can be done???

black4rob2
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Quickest and maybe the most efficient thing we can do is probably just gather up all the assets of this city and place it in Jersey City somewhere temporarily while we just bomb the hell out of this city and start from scratch. I'm thinking of it like a roach problem... Whenever you thought you had them all they would come back....Your mother would buy the raid stuff and for a few weeks at night you would turn the lights on and there would be nothing running around, but give it time and they came right back around.....

I'm not saying that there is no hope because obviously we can't just bomb this city, but we can start from scratch and dtry to get it right this time around...

I love you Sharpe, but we need a new and fresh administration who is going to go out and give it their all. We need leaders that are going to provide for our soldiers in this war...(Did the NPD get those new bulletproof vests they were suppose to be getting.) How can we fight a war effectively if the enemy have bigger and better guns then our soldiers.
We need an administration that's going to put more concentration on the younger generations to go out there and be positive.
We need an administration that's going to create more programs for kids who are not fortunate enough to have loved ones at home.
We need an administration that's going to invest in our city schools so that we can provide our kids with the necessary information they need to compete with their counterparts.

As for us...We need to show more love and selflessness towards our own brothers and sisters...
We all have problems, but with the help of your neighbor you can overcome those problems with ease...
We need to be parents
We need to send these kids to school, and then make sure they do their work at home. Education is not Eight hours a day..but 24/7.
How can you tell a kid to not smoke because it is bad for you, but yet you puffing on a newport...Teach by example
Jazzy and all other members with kids on this forum...I'm sure you guys can vouch that your kids pick up on the smallest thing you do...And when they go out in public by themselves....GUESS WHO THEY REPRESENT AND TRY TO MIMIC?
We need to stop being cowards...I think Prosouth said it, but we need to demand respect from these politicians who show no love to our city and to the thugs who also show no love to this city because they are destroying it. We can't sit around and wait for the Black Knight to come over and save us...that's something that we have to do for ourselves....

Look at what happen with the four executions...Not one person called the cops because it is normal to hear gunshots around...IT IS NOT NORMAL and we shouldn't have to think that it is normal...Imagine if everybody who heard the shots called the cops...They would have been overwhelmed with calls and might have had someone nearby who could have apprehended the murderers...

We as a society have the tendecies to be complacent with things, but yet we complain a lot...Rather we should say the hell with out elected leaders in this city...Let's lead ourselves and then maybe they can follow on board and give us a hand in our mission...It shouldn't be us giving them a hand with their mission, because as we can see with most of these guys their mission is their pockets.

None of these are that difficult to accomplish, especially if we do it together. Look at the Jews, Italians, Portuguese people in the Ironbound...They all came to this country with nothing....Hell they even came to this city with nothing...But they provided for each other and made something of themselves...Whether it was illegal or not...they did it for a cause and stop...They didn't sit arond and kill their own everyday....
That's what we need to do for ourselves....BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

ProSouth
12-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Excellent Post

jazzyken
12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Rob.. well put :)

I would not give up on the raid idea though :rolleyes:

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-01-2004, 02:59 PM
And to think I didn't see any misspellings?....must have taken you TWO WHOLE DAYS to type that! :eek:

black4rob2
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
You always come out of left field with a wise-crack....

i got something cooking for you.... :D

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-02-2004, 01:41 AM
For the house party! :eek:

army1lt
12-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Hey John (excuse me) CPT James hold off on the party until I get home from Cuba. :D

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-02-2004, 06:27 AM
I'll have another party for E Co. when you get back :D

black4rob2
12-02-2004, 10:51 AM
I've been hearing all this stuff about a party.....

When and where.....There better be beers and not Ripple...
Knowing John James...that's probably what he will have...

jazzyken
12-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Well I am not a drinker so have my Grapeade Snapple on hand and hot wings...

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
I'll save ALL the O' douls for YOU! :D

black4rob2
12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
:D :D I think you drink ripple.....for real....
make that call to Elizabeth...tell her you coming for her.... :D

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-03-2004, 07:58 AM
:D