PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Federal Cuts

Miss Tam-Tam
12-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Did you read the headline article in today's Ledger concerning the slashes in the homeland security funding to Jersey City and Newark from the Feds? Absolutely unconscionable when you consider that Newark is a major Eastern seaboard port/international airport city. I hate to sound negative, but it doesn't bode well for what's in store for us from Washington. But we knew that already didn't we? :(

Here's the link:

http://nj.com/newsflash/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1102115041132720.xml&storylist=jersey

ProSouth
12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Like I said when they announced that terrorists were targeting spots in Newark namely Prudential, it's all BS. The Prudential Building is such a great target but they are going to cut funding to our area??? Makes a whole lot of sense :confused:

5Reasons
12-04-2004, 04:33 PM
You know, Congress just passed 318 BILLION in highway construction funds, I wonder if any of Newark's officials will be fighting for their fair share of it. God knows NJ has some of the worst roads in the nation and lord knows that Newark needs its fair share - although Newark's main arteries have been improved. Either way, I sure hope that Rt 22 gets expanded and someone does something about the Parkway and we also need to widen several blocks, including S.O. Ave & Springfield Ave.

Miss Tam-Tam
12-04-2004, 06:30 PM
You know, Congress just passed 318 BILLION in highway construction funds, I wonder if any of Newark's officials will be fighting for their fair share of it. God knows NJ has some of the worst roads in the nation and lord knows that Newark needs its fair share - although Newark's main arteries have been improved. Either way, I sure hope that Rt 22 gets expanded and someone does something about the Parkway and we also need to widen several blocks, including S.O. Ave & Springfield Ave.

You said a mouthful. Many is the time I've sat on Route 22 (West) for half an hour just to go two-tenths of a mile. There are shortcuts, but ultimately you wind up in the bottleneck again. I avoid the Parkway as much as I can. And there are some intersections that are a mess. One that immediately comes to mind is Bergen/First and West Market Streets. It needs a delayed green.

Doofus1
12-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Well, maybe our senior Senator shouldn't be planning on leaving the office for the governor's chair, so we could keep some people in Washington and get some seniority.

As for 22, forget building as a solution to that problem. There is a parallel 10 lane highway a half a mile north, and it is just as crowded. It's a proven fact that if you add lanes, they just fill up in a few years, and you still have the same problem. We should be spending 38 million on mass transit, not highways.

myhomenewark
12-06-2004, 01:32 PM
How can they justify this when Port Newark/Elizabeth is the country's biggest and busiest containerport? It is the port for THE ENTIRE REGION. As it stands now only 1% of those containers are inspected. NJ and NY need to unite on this.

A nuclear bomb detonated in a container in Newark Bay needs how much lag time before the plutonium cloud is hanging over Manhattan??