PDA

View Full Version : Newark and the Port Authority

myhomenewark
12-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Is Newark getting a raw deal from the Port Authority? When I look at a map, the Port Authority control large areas of Newark. What kind of money should that generate? Should Newark have the low-tax status that, say, Linden enjoyed in the 70s? (In the mid 70s, Linden, NJ had so much taxes from its industrial zone that the residents did not have to pay the municipal portion of property taxes.) I'm going to continue to research this, but I'm wondering if the payments to Newark in lieu of taxes or whatever are way too low. And, if so, who signed the city's name to the giveaway agreements and why wasn't the city's best interest looked after? Should Newark be on Easy Street?

John360
12-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Is Newark getting a raw deal from the Port Authority? When I look at a map, the Port Authority control large areas of Newark. What kind of money should that generate?

I think you're overestimating how much the land is worth. The area may be large but a lot of it is swamp land. I suppose you could build something there but it would be expensive and might run into protected wetlands. Even if you could build something there, it'd be an enormous problem getting there. (Recently I went to Fed Ex south of the airport to collect a wayward package. That area ia a nightmare of tangled roads and traffic!)

myhomenewark
12-17-2004, 11:39 AM
The type of land is something to consider. The airport/seaport do cover large areas of Newark. The Meadowlands being a swamp doesn't keep it from being developed. Newark needs the revenue. It's a small city with too many tax-exempt properties. Is Newark's deal with the P.A. above, below or way below market? Should Newarkers be sharing in a bonanza considering the amount of land that is owned by the P.A. and the P.A.'s ability to profit therefrom? The P.A. could just pass its costs on. This is an expensive area. The Verazanno Bridge itself is $8 (or more) for one crossing!