PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Anesis

JoefromPGH
04-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Does anyone remember or ever heard of Ramon Anesis? He was the first Latino Deputy Mayor in the late 60's. Senior Anesis passed away suddenly in 1970 or 1971 in his mid 40's. He lived on Montclair Ave about a half block from Broadway. I didn't know him personally but I was friend's with his son, Ramon, Jr. I am not sure but a part of my memory says he was involved in a scandel. Please Please correct me if I am wrong! Real nice family. I wonder if Ramon Jr ever got involved in politics somewhere.

ISolerJr
04-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Joe, Its funny you said that no he did not get involved in fact they (the Aneses) moved out of the house in April of 1986.

I know this because my parents bought the house (101 Montclair ave) and we lived there until 2003.

JoefromPGH
04-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Joe, Its funny you said that no he did not get involved in fact they (the Aneses) moved out of the house in April of 1986.

I know this because my parents bought the house (101 Montclair ave) and we lived there until 2003.

Wow! Talk about a small world! ISoler...thank you so much for responding and clearing my memory of Aneses, Sr. There was so much corruption going on at the time you didn't know who was in and who was out. Besides that i was a teenager and my thoughts were FAR away from politics and scandals.

Hey, did the house come with all the garages in the back? If I remember Mr Aneses owned all those garages too and they were always rented.

BTW: Welcome to NewarkSpeaks!

The Observer
04-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Joe- Ramon ran on Gibson's ticket as councilman and lost. He was later given the title of deputy mayor which was the first time created for Newark.
Since then Latinos had have that appointed job as a token position.
Sad-but true.

I hope he is not dead. Last I heard (in the '90's) he was living in Verona with his second wife and working for the Newark Housing Authority for many years.

ISolerJr
04-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I just checked with a buddy of mine and he said that the two sons: Jr. and the other one are firefighters in Newark.

Hope that helps.

JoefromPGH
04-13-2006, 09:06 AM
To ISolerJr and The Observer-

Thanks for the follow-up and info. One thing I want to say is my memory is NOT impeccable. I have made some mistakes in recalling things very long ago. I do remember Mr Aneses running for council on the Gibson ticket but my memory was obviously wrong in thinking that he passed away in the early 70's. To anyone reading this, and especially to the Aneses family, I extend my sincerest apologies for that memory flap!