PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Mr. Rice

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Mr. Rice:

First I would like to Thank You for taking the time during this busy election to once again address Newark Speaks. As I have said before, you have been here from the beginning and is an honored member.

I personally would like to thank you for continuously educating and keeping Newark citizens informed here on Newark Speaks with your many posts.

Since we all know you here let's get started.

Thanks again,

Webmaster

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Here you go Ron, I think these questions are important enough to address, as posted by "OurBeloved.." in another thread. I have some of my own as well, and I'll post those too; if I get the time. I have always enjoyed your thoughtful responses, so I feel confident in saying that we all look forward to learning more.

You are the son of a current NJ State Senator and Deputy Mayor. Why can't you convince your father to inact your vision? If your ideas were so sound, why has your father ignored you? or if the city was so important, why wait until election season to offer a "new vision"? Also, since your last election, what have you offered to Newark and the West Ward? What accomplishments have you offered to improve the quality of life to Newark and her residents? No, hosting forums w/out actions does not count. Besides, your website is esoteric (gaudy in words, with no true meaning) and a duplication of present services offered in Newark.
1. ANC is one member in DC neighborhood; District Leaders are four members in NJ.
2. Campaign finance laws are state monitored, ELEC.
3. No elected official in the State work’s full-time as a legislature, Senate (you father), Council or Freeholder only Federal b/c of potential conflicts.
4. City cars and phones while conducting city business is reasonable. Would you advocate for DYFS and the Governor to not use Government vehicles? Your father has two government cars, is he a less-than qualified fighter for Newark?
5. Name a CDBG expense that went to a non deserving CBO? How much needed money was provided to organizations in comparison to municipal projects?
6. Your running mate used public space ie NCC, Clinton Hill church
7. State law allows ex-felons who complete their sentence and not on probation or parole to vote, why lobby Congress and Senate when we are ahead of most states?
8. Residency requirements are mandated by the court, a copy of the case challenging Newark residency requirements should be reviewed. If you fire those who are grandfathered in, you will break the law. Also, appointments like judges and directors are allowed to bring their talent to the city and help it grow. If elected, will you tell your running mate not to hire non-Newark residents or support legislation that mandates residents to live in Newark for at least a year?
9. You authored the administrative regs. of the Abbot v. Burke, what was your true contribution?
10. You support vouchers and Abbot mandates? You support taking money from NPS? Where is the money coming from to enough said initiatives?
11. BIDs exist, however neighborhood folks are not taking charge of their communities?

Can’t do it anymore b/c you misplace legal and academic jargon is not functional solutions in Newark. Please respond, thank you!

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:15 PM
There is quite a diverse community in the West Ward, some can vote others are seeking the opportunity to become Citizens and be able to vote. What will you do as Councilman to assist in this process?

What has your opponent done to help these City residents in this process?

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Ron,
Why not support your father for Mayor? If you use your father's name and reputation to run in the West, Why support another candidate and a team especially if they are trying to use the Rice name (like James & Crump in the South) to hurt your father??? You have enough time to support your father and it would be understood, even by your team when you join your father. However, personal ambition is secondary to family unity. Also, if your father wins, because I believe he has the most experience, will you come to the victory party and join his administration, if asked??? Just curious...

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:21 PM
What do you intend to do about the boatload of abandoned houses in our neighborhoods? These houses are a blight within the community.

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Other council endorsements and why?

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Mr. Rice,

1. What are you going to do to address the litter problem?

2. And, what can you do to improve the quality of streets? (Note: I've talked to some wheelchair-bound people who tell me they can't get around because the streets are so bad. My point is, there are real consequences when we don't have quality streets and sidewalks.

3. What are your thoughts on improving crime & safety? Can name something SPECIFIC that you would do?

Thank you for your time and for stopping by Newarkspeaks.

Footnote: Once agian, if elected, please find someone that will invest in a BIG BOX Borders Books & Music. That puppy would sell; more importantly, if located in the right area, I get the sense that STORES LIKE THAT can change the texture of a neighborhood. (People often overlook this stuff.)

rice2006
04-11-2006, 02:54 PM
As a regular contributor and participant, I am no stranger to the site, but I am glad to be here to answer questions for all that are here. The question(s) posed is/are rather lengthy, but I will try and answer each one with some level of specificity:

You are the son of a current NJ State Senator and Deputy Mayor. Why can't you convince your father to inact your vision?

Mainly because we do not agree on many of the specifics of my vision. As an example, I have always been against dual office holding and my father has been a dual office holder. The simple fact is that the generation of leadership currently in office do not agree with many ideas represented by myself and my teammates on the Booker Team whether it is about small business development or recreation or even job creation in the neighborhoods. That generation of leadership has had 30 years to enact reforms and have chosen other means to accomplish these goals, means that I do not think have been successful. we need a new leadership team with new ideas that have not ben tried before.

If your ideas were so sound, why has your father ignored you? or if the city was so important, why wait until election season to offer a "new vision"?

I have offered my specific program for change since 2000, and since 2004 on my website, not just as election time.

Also, since your last election, what have you offered to Newark and the West Ward?

I was a founding member and activist within the Newark Water Group that fought and stopped the Mayor and the city council from privitizing Newark's water supply. I was instrumental in turning out over 200 West ward residents that changed the incumbent West Ward representative's vote on the matter. I have conducted over 20 Civic Empowerment workshops with the my organization Reform Newark and the Center for Civic Responsibilty to over 300 Newark residents that teaches individuals how to access the power centers in their local governments. As the head of reform Newark, we have provided the only official community response to the Mayor's Annual State of the City Address. I have continued to work on behalf of education issues as a spokesman and policy analyst for the NJDOE and have provided information to various West ward PTAs and educational advocacy organizations regarding Abbott and educational issues. There are more things, but time limits my ability to respond.

What accomplishments have you offered to improve the quality of life to Newark and her residents? No, hosting forums w/out actions does not count. Besides, your website is esoteric (gaudy in words, with no true meaning) and a duplication of present services offered in Newark.

I think I answered this somewhat above. And if you think that we offer the initiatives I name on my website, you are sadly mistaken.

1. ANC is one member in DC neighborhood; District Leaders are four members in NJ.

Again, you are misinformed. I have met with the director of the ANCs in DC several times over the last three years. ANCs are advisory boards (not one member) composed of elected residents from neighborhoods. And I advocate a model that combines the DC version with NYC community boards. District Leaders (county committee persons) are elected to promote their respective political parties, they are NOT required to do any community service and the two are apples and oranges.
2. Campaign finance laws are state monitored, ELEC.

ELEC requires basic information reporting. It is a floor, not a ceiling. I advocate more stringent city requirements.

3. No elected official in the State work’s full-time as a legislature, Senate (you father), Council or Freeholder only Federal b/c of potential conflicts.

Our city council is the highest paid city council for a part-time position per capita in America. I am not running for the Legislature. City council salaries are out of whack with the national average. The West Ward councilwoman makes over $170,000 with her two salaries which I do not agree with. I will be a full time councilman and will take a $10,000 pay ut to do so.
4. City cars and phones while conducting city business is reasonable. Would you advocate for DYFS and the Governor to not use Government vehicles? Your father has two government cars, is he a less-than qualified fighter for Newark?

I am against perks and privileges when you are a member of the highest paid council in America and when over one third of the people you represent live below the federal poverty line. Instead of comparing apples and oranges, compare the city council's compensation with similarly situated cities like our neighbor Jersey City and et back to me
5. Name a CDBG expense that went to a non deserving CBO? How much needed money was provided to organizations in comparison to municipal projects?

I have only called for the establishment of standards and a real process for consideration that is transparent and is not arbitrary. We need more transparency in city government, not less as it guards against abuse. My team wants that transparency and we will lead by example on this issue.

6. Your running mate used public space ie NCC, Clinton Hill church

I do not know what this means. I am against fundraising on government/public property. Most local governments in America ban this, even Chicago. It is an antiquated practice that belongs in the Newark o the 1950's, not Newark in the 21st Century.

7. State law allows ex-felons who complete their sentence and not on probation or parole to vote, why lobby Congress and Senate when we are ahead of most states?

We are not ahead of most states. As a member of the CBC's Re-Entry Project, NJ is behind most. The key is to lobby Congress to make national the standards in more progressive states so that we are doing more in terms of expungement. Again, our current laws are floors not ceilings, we can be more proactive as local leaders in advocating for this change. The Booker Team will do so and I will be at the front of that fight. I hope you will join me.
9. You authored the administrative regs. of the Abbot v. Burke, what was your true contribution?

I wrote the regulations. I attended NJDOE community hearings throughout the state, received input on substance from all department Assistant Commissioners and their designees, attended Assembly and Senate hearings, conferred with the Attorney General's office, and shepherded the regulations thru State Board of Education approval. I was commended publically by former State NJDOE Commissioner David Hespe for this contribution.

10. You support vouchers and Abbot mandates? You support taking money from NPS? Where is the money coming from to enough said initiatives?

I support higher quality education and putting as much power and choices in the hands of parents and advocates of educational opportunity. I believe in a variety of answers and strategies and will fight for them just as I have fought to make sure Abbott is adminsitered wholly

11. BIDs exist, however neighborhood folks are not taking charge of their communities?

BIDS exist in two places downtown Newark and Ferry Street and only Ferry St. is a model for the neighborhoods. I am on record as the only council candidate in 2002 that even talked about BIDs. Now they are the rage. I will act where there has only been talk and create BIDs on So. Orange, Roseville, Central, 18th Avenues and Orange Street within my firt four years in office. I will do so through the West ward Development Corporation, my pending non-profit, along with CBO's like UVSO.

rice2006
04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I am proud to live in a ward that is so diverse and to have the support of so many. I will not take 6 years to open up a Little City hall in my ward and will not wait 8 years to open one in the Vailsburg section of the ward.

My current campaign office on 18th Avenue will be my Little City Hall after may 9. We picked this ocation to start pushing back against the crime and drugs that run rampant here. Our presence has been welcomed by the small businesses here and they fully support our vision for a BID here and the Booker Team's commitment to real community policing. My office will also be a clearinghouse for information, both governmentally and community wise. We will have a strong relationship with our Congressman Payne's office and a constituency service program with a council aide committed to working from 12:00 to 9:00 PM to provide after hors access to my office.

rice2006
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I have already answered this question, but I will do so again. I love my father, admire my father, and my father ignited my interest and passion for public service. I have also supported my father for over 30 years, since being his first volunteer at the age of 8. I quit a job in 1998 to be my father's West Ward coordinator when he challenged Sharpe James. My support of my father has even detrimentally affected job opportunities, etc. I have nothing to prove in terms of my support of my father because I have done so when most that say they support him now were literally working day and night against him

I wish him well in his run and I would continue to fight for the things I stand for no matter who is Mayor. we just fundamentally disagree on the direction that the city needs to go in. It is time for a new generation of leadership that is not so wedded to the ways of the past 30 years. We need a rebirth in our city that only a new Mayor and city council committed to fundamental change can give us. Period.

Also, I have been running for West Ward councilman for over a year and as a member of the Booker Team. Withdrawing from a team that I agree with some 40 days before election day would make me a liar and a man that is not true to his word, both to my team and to the citizens of the West Ward that I hope to represent.

Lastly, West ward voters want a leader that will be independent enough to support leaders not based on familial relations, but based on what I think is best for the city of Newark. I support Cory Booker because the time has come to turn the page on Newark politics and to usher in new priorities and new leadership.

After the election and long after the rallies, he is still my father whom I love very much.

rice2006
04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
My time is up, but please feel free to ask the questions I was unable to answer via my website at info@ron-rice.com .

It is my fondest hope that you will support the next generation of leadership and support a 3rd generation Newarker, a son of the West Ward, that is committed to making real, specific change in a ward that desperately needs a leader that will stand up for all of us.

Vote C-25 on May 9th.

Ron Rice, Jr. for West Ward Councilman
900-B 18th Avenue
Newark, NJ 07106
www.ron-rice.com

NEWARK SPEAKS
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
My time is up, but please feel free to ask the questions I was unable to answer via my website at info@ron-rice.com .

It is my fondest hope that you will support the next generation of leadership and support a 3rd generation Newarker, a son of the West Ward, that is committed to making real, specific change in a ward that desperately needs a leader that will stand up for all of us.

Vote C-25 on May 9th.

Ron Rice, Jr. for West Ward Councilman
900-B 18th Avenue
Newark, NJ 07106
www.ron-rice.com (http://www.ron-rice.com)

I am sure we all appreciate you answering our questions. Most candidates for office seem to be afraid of addressing us directly here online. You on the other hand have done nothing but embrace this medium.

Good Luck in May and I know you will continue to be an important part of Newark Speaks for years to come.

Thanks again,

Webmaster

CaseClosed
04-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I have already answered this question, but I will do so again. I love my father, admire my father, and my father ignited my interest and passion for public service. I have also supported my father for over 30 years, since being his first volunteer at the age of 8. I quit a job in 1998 to be my father's West Ward coordinator when he challenged Sharpe James. My support of my father has even detrimentally affected job opportunities, etc. I have nothing to prove in terms of my support of my father because I have done so when most that say they support him now were literally working day and night against him

I wish him well in his run and I would continue to fight for the things I stand for no matter who is Mayor. we just fundamentally disagree on the direction that the city needs to go in. It is time for a new generation of leadership that is not so wedded to the ways of the past 30 years. We need a rebirth in our city that only a new Mayor and city council committed to fundamental change can give us. Period.

Also, I have been running for West Ward councilman for over a year and as a member of the Booker Team. Withdrawing from a team that I agree with some 40 days before election day would make me a liar and a man that is not true to his word, both to my team and to the citizens of the West Ward that I hope to represent.

Lastly, West ward voters want a leader that will be independent enough to support leaders not based on familial relations, but based on what I think is best for the city of Newark. I support Cory Booker because the time has come to turn the page on Newark politics and to usher in new priorities and new leadership.

After the election and long after the rallies, he is still my father whom I love very much.

This dialogue was reposted I see that Rice Jr. has a vision and a commitment to the city of Newark.

He has our 8 votes.

Newarker60
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
This dialogue was reposted I see that Rice Jr. has a vision and a commitment to the city of Newark.

;) Bravo for your support of your Dad. We in the East will always love your Dad and we told him so. But we were upset that he could not see through what he always thought was his friend Mayor James. For all the good the mayor has done for this city, he was unable to bring people together and that is and always will be either our rise or demise. Your father was able to do this and we all wish he was with the Bookerteam. But we are all praying for a victory for you---you already make your father proud, he told me so himself! God Bless You!

Baki
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Where you get it???

webdubois52
10-01-2006, 12:00 PM
The ethically challenged Police Directory designee McCarthy must be rejected. To do any less is to send a signal that little Sally Sue and Johnnie Joe should get a pass too.

That Mr. Booker supported you should have no bearing on this vote. Just because he took you to the prom doesn't mean you have to go to the hotel with him.

rice2006
10-01-2006, 03:25 PM
To not do due dilliegence and conduct my own research, interviews and consideration in Washington Heights and Brooklyn with community activists, politicians, and police that worked with McCarthy, which I have been doing and will continue to do on tomorrow and and Tuesday, would be the mistake.

Ultimately, I will make my decision not based on the Administration's arguments, nor those of you that take a dissenting stance. THAT, my friend, is leadership and what my position requires of me as a member of this city's legislature.

The prom analogy is inappropriate and does not apply to me, especially in lieu of the fact that I will be sponsoring 5 ordinances that will revolutionize ethics in the city of Newark on this Wednesday, not even 100 days after being sworn in.

I know I have earned the benefit of the doubt already and will defend what I have been able to do in 90+ days with any other councilperson that has ever served in this city over the same period of time.

webdubois52
10-01-2006, 05:56 PM
To not do due dilliegence and conduct my own research, interviews and consideration in Washington Heights and Brooklyn with community activists, politicians, and police that worked with McCarthy, which I have been doing and will continue to do on tomorrow and and Tuesday, would be the mistake.

Ultimately, I will make my decision not based on the Administration's arguments, nor those of you that take a dissenting stance. THAT, my friend, is leadership and what my position requires of me as a member of this city's legislature.

The prom analogy is inappropriate and does not apply to me, especially in lieu of the fact that I will be sponsoring 5 ordinances that will revolutionize ethics in the city of Newark on this Wednesday, not even 100 days after being sworn in.

I know I have earned the benefit of the doubt already and will defend what I have been able to do in 90+ days with any other councilperson that has ever served in this city over the same period of time.

In appreciating your response sir, I also detect a bit of the classic political spin of I'll study the case and then make my decision. However, I do understand that to do less would in and of itself be a derelection of duty and responsibility.

I too applaud your desire and aggressiveness in seeking and sponsoring ethical reforms that will be the highest standards of conduct among City of Newark elected officials and staff. During the campaign, you did state that your would encourage and demand the highest ethical standards of those individuals. Thusly, I would think that a rejection of McCarthy would be quite in line with the standards you espoused.

Leadership is also about taking a stance that flys in the face of convenience and relationships. Whether you have done more than any other during the short time you've been there is admirable, but not relevant. It's also a subjective statement.

Finally, being the fine person I consider you to be, I bow to your convictions and your methodology, but I also know that sending a message of independence (checks and balances) is also relevant in a political setting. Don't think that your colleagues aren't assessing the vote in a similar manner.

rice2006
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
And respect your comments. I appreciate (moreso) your taking the time to provide them to me.

We need more input from citizens in our city, whether I personally agree with position of that input or not. More democracy is always better than less.