PDA

View Full Version : The Baxter Terrace Posse

Miss Tam-Tam
12-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Today I am totally flabbergasted and flummoxed. In today's Star-Ledger, there is a news report regarding the fatal shooting, which took place early Christmas morning, at the Baxter Terrace housing complex in Newark. For those of you not familiar with its location, there is no such street as Baxter Terrace. The complex is located between Orange and James Streets in the vicinity of NJIT and Saint Michael's Hospital near the Route 280 service roads. What's got my goat this morning is that law enforcement officials *knew* that Baxter Terrace was a source of violent gang activity for some time. Why, oh why, wasn't the complex put on some kind of police lock-down? Here is what the Ledger disclosed about it, with the link to the story below:

1. A report issued by the State Commission of Investigation this year identified the "Baxter Terrace Posse" as one of the city's largest street gangs and said the gang was joining forces with the Bloods, an even larger gang that has played a major role in the illegal drug trade.

2. Two weeks ago, Baxter Terrace resident Sutton Davis, 22, was shot and kiled outside his grandmother's house on South 15th Street, as part of Newark's day of gang terror. (I mentioned this connection in another thread.)

3. In October, police responding to reports of gunshots in the housing project confronted four men in a stolen Jaguar and engaged in a shoot out that wounded an officer and a suspect. A livery cab driver, Santos Solano, was later found dead in his car near the scene form a gunshot wound, and police said it was "possible" the bullet came form the gun of one of the fleeing suspects.

4. In April, Baxter Terrace resident Cheryl Green was killed by a 19-year-old man who was trying to shoot another man in a dispute over drugs and money. The intended target was running away, and the assailant killed Green and wounded two other men instead.

It is not the obligation of the press or of Newark residents to figure these things out. That is the responsibility of the Newark Police and for them to take appropriate action. Considering that one of their own was gunned down at this area, I cannot understand why police strategy was lacking. I refer you to the recent news reports regarding certain Newark police shaking money and product out of these drug gangs. It could be behind the reasons why the police have failed to clean-up Baxter Terrace. But, hey, they're not shooting at us so why should we worry? Right? Just ask the families of Cheryl Green and Santos Solano. One tip, though. If you decide to take the Baxter Terrace tour, wear your Kevlar vest. :mad:

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1104041581139020.xml

Miss Tam-Tam
12-27-2004, 12:57 AM
December 26, 2004, Sunday
Shooting in Downtown Newark Leaves One Dead and Four Hurt
By DAMIEN CAVE, The New York Times

One man died and four people were injured yesterday in an early morning shooting at a Newark housing project near downtown, the police said.

The violence started about 3:30 a.m. Lloyd Westry, 24, of Newark was standing with several friends in a concrete courtyard within the Baxter Terrace housing complex at 226 Orange Street when several gunshots sounded, according to Carolyn Wright, director of the homicide division for the Essex County prosecutor's office. She said that one or more people had approached on foot and opened fire.

Mr. Westry died at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. Two of the four other people who were injured by gunfire were in critical condition at the same hospital last night; the others had been released by the evening. All are from Newark, but Ms. Wright would not give their names because she said they needed to be protected from potential retaliation.

She said that the police were still investigating whether the killing was gang-related. Less than two weeks ago, another Baxter Terrace resident - Sutton Davis, 22 - was shot to death on South 15th Street. Yesterday's killing was the ninth recorded in Newark since Thanksgiving, and the 86th this year. There were 83 homicides in 2003, and 68 in 2002. Newark's population is 270,000.

Residents of the complex, a set of three-story brick structures where the ground is littered with crack vials and garbage, said yesterday that the killing was connected to an argument that took place that night at a nearby bar, Layers.

Bernard McDaniels, 49, Mr. Westry's uncle, said that his nephew was single, and was studying carpentry at a local trade school.

"I saw him last night," he said. "I was kidding with him: I was looking for a Christmas present for him, he was looking for a Christmas present for me."

By early afternoon, a shrine to Mr. Westry had been set up in the courtyard. Three candles and a bottle of Cognac sat on the ground where blood could still be seen. On a nearby wall, there was a message in black magic marker that included the line, "R.I.P., I love you brother Lloyd."

Ms. Wright said that no arrests had been made. Before Mr. Westry's death, 45 of this year's killings were unsolved, and with his death, the homicide rate in Newark - the number of killings per 100,000 people each year - is 31.9, more than twice the rate in the country's 10 largest cities and nearly five times the homicide rate of New York City, according to federal crime statistics.

Three days ago, Mayor Sharpe James convened an antiviolence summit meeting and announced plans to add 80 officers and open seven new neighborhood precincts in 2005. Since Nov. 26, when four people were found fatally shot in a lot near a church on the city's south side, he has downplayed the violence, declaring that crime is down over the past decade.

Ms. Wright said that the violence seemed to fit with what has become a violent pattern. "One would always hope that one would spend the holiday with family and loved ones and not be involved in violence, but we live in a very violent society," she said. "It doesn't seem to change with the season or holiday."

Janon Fisher contributed reporting for this article.

ProSouth
12-27-2004, 04:42 AM
December 26, 2004, Sunday
Shooting in Downtown Newark Leaves One Dead and Four Hurt
By DAMIEN CAVE, The New York Times

Downtown Newark???? Now they are targeting the fears of white folks.

5Reasons
12-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Good observation.

jmax
12-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Needs to be imploded. I'm sorry-- but not only is it a breeding ground for gang activity-- but the buildings were built during the depression and are falling apart.

I believe it escaped the NHA Wrecking Ball's Wrath because you can't really see the buildings from 280 or 78-- however, the place is a disgrace.

Finally-- it is hoilding back real development around the Universities in that neighborhood. Believe me.

5Reasons
12-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Jay,

All of the old complexes need to be imploded. You know what's worse, Jay? Baxter isn't nearly as bad as that complex that runs along Dayton Street and the Elizabeth border. I mean, every time I drive past that puppy, it is junkies and dealers with gang symbols for blocks all the way to the Elizabeth line. I keep wondering, who the hell lives in that sh!t. And what's worse - how can anyone properly raise a child in that hell hole?

Lavishing Lucas should be putting forth a program to get rid of all of these developments.

Now you all know my position. Newark has to get rid of these people all together. All of the complexes from Baxter to Bradley Court should get the ole "wrath of God" treatment in the next decade.

But of course, with Cory boy being Mayor I won't expect much. He can't even stand up and implode Brick Towers.

LastCubanStanding
12-27-2004, 08:10 PM
To follow up on 5's "implode them" comment - I agree, except I wouldn't warn the residents. Just do it.

I promise I'll try to be nice next year.

jazzyken
12-27-2004, 10:30 PM
hey cuban, we are thinking the same thing. The RAID solution! Bomb the heck out of the city and start all over again. Just give me a heads up Iwill roll to Bergen County and front like I have money:)

jazzyken
12-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey I just realized I moved up on the forum!!! Senior Member!! Go me!

I would think I would have been a superior member by now but I guess I have to wait a while.

Portugalian
12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
What does imploding do? You knock the buildings down...so what. That doesn't mean the problem is going to disappear. Those people will just be relocate and the same things will happen where they move too. Just look at what happened to East Orange, Orange and Irvington..A LOT of those people are nothing but people that used to live in Newark. All those beautiful old buildings along Munn became low income/Section 8 housing..it ruined the neighborhood. I love Newark and I would love to see it cleaned up but pushing our problem into other towns is not the answer.

Miss Tam-Tam
12-28-2004, 02:57 AM
All of the old complexes need to be imploded. You know what's worse, Jay? Baxter isn't nearly as bad as that complex that runs along Dayton Street and the Elizabeth border. I mean, every time I drive past that puppy, it is junkies and dealers with gang symbols for blocks all the way to the Elizabeth line. I keep wondering, who the hell lives in that sh!t. And what's worse - how can anyone properly raise a child in that hell hole?

In the late summer, early fall, the cops had a shoot-out with the drug gangs who have taken over the Dayton Street projects. There are decent people living in this complex who are prisoners inside of their own homes.

If it wasn't so real, it could be something out of a movie . . .

http://www.clubic.com/photo/00FA00C800038308.jpg

jazzyken
12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Portugalian What does imploding do? You knock the buildings down...so what. That doesn't mean the problem is going to disappear. Those people will just be relocate and the same things will happen where they move too. Just look at what happened to East Orange, Orange and Irvington..A LOT of those people are nothing but people that used to live in Newark. All those beautiful old buildings along Munn became low income/Section 8 housing..it ruined the neighborhood. I love Newark and I would love to see it cleaned up but pushing our problem into other towns is not the answer.

I think it is more of a divide and conquer concept. where I moved from it was a lot of hostility and we have lived with the same people all of my life. When I moved last month my life has gotten a lot easier and less stressful. I concentrate more on my family than the people surrounding me.
If two families are always fueding with each other and causes conflicts, if you separate them then maybe the tension will subside.
Baxter Terr and other NHA complexes need the RAID effect. Go through every tenants folder and see if they have ever had any problems with the law. Any person on the lease. Check backgrounds. Block off all entrances and exits and let NPD and NHA go to town. This will eliminate the people getting subsidized rents and rental assistance and making a killing on the streets. Then target new residents. Get these jokers out of public housing. Help the residents of Newark become homeowners. Studies have proven that when Blacks own their homes it is less crime in the area. They value their property. They value their homes. They value their lives.

Houseguest
12-28-2004, 02:04 PM
I think it is more of a divide and conquer concept. where I moved from it was a lot of hostility and we have lived with the same people all of my life. When I moved last month my life has gotten a lot easier and less stressful. I concentrate more on my family than the people surrounding me.
If two families are always fueding with each other and causes conflicts, if you separate them then maybe the tension will subside.
Baxter Terr and other NHA complexes need the RAID effect. Go through every tenants folder and see if they have ever had any problems with the law. Any person on the lease. Check backgrounds. Block off all entrances and exits and let NPD and NHA go to town. This will eliminate the people getting subsidized rents and rental assistance and making a killing on the streets. Then target new residents. Get these jokers out of public housing. Help the residents of Newark become homeowners. Studies have proven that when Blacks own their homes it is less crime in the area. They value their property. They value their homes. They value their lives.

AMEN TO THAT!!

counterattack
12-28-2004, 02:34 PM
anyone know what happened to Save Our Selves (SOS)that's the gang group from Baxter Terrace that signed the truce

Miss Tam-Tam
12-29-2004, 12:24 AM

Sounds like a bold, effective plan of action, Jazzy. But, you know down at the Housing Authority, it's a heck of a lot easier to adjust the color on the spanking new plasma t.v. set, then it is to de-thug the housing complexes with new initiatives.

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/211900/211900/Products/5779543.jpg

jazzyken
12-29-2004, 10:14 AM
That is what hubby wanted for XMas. that is nice!!!!

enron1117
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I don't know because I've been living in Philly for quite some time now going to school. But what about doing what was done to Maple Gardens to Places like Baxter Terrace and the other projects? You know buy the place, kick everyone out, fix it up, and re-rent. I know that would be sweeping the dirt under the rug since the displaced people would either then move to other parts of the city or to neighboring towns such as EO or Irvington. But sweeping reform, which is needed, is definately another topic in the book of "economic suppression stemmed from racism".
Growing up in the Garden Spires I have had many a run in with the boys from BT. Probably would have had more if I had gone to Barringer.
But the fact of the matter is if this city is to make strides in the positive direction it must lose the portrait of being a lawless city. I say that because I recently read an article in the Star-Ledger over the internet which basically said that Newark Police were busting people for not having liquor licenses. I said to myself " who cares", I know liquor licenses are a valuable asset to a city in terms of the revenue it brings. But there are other issues to worry about, such as, if I were to visit my relatives in Bradley Ct, why wouldnt I even think about wearing something as simple as my frat colors? Another example is my father moved back to Newark this past yr. Within one week of being back home his car was stolen and wrecked.
This " portrait of lawlessness" as I call it must go, it must be torn down from the walls and burned. The initiatives of removing it must come from CITY HALL. We need strong leadership! Leaders that aren't "puppets" or leaders that have been in office so long that they're elected dictators. I would whole heartedly support Rice Jr. on just about anything he ran for. Why? Because he's put in his work, and didnt run away from the city like so many others. ha I sound like an ad. :o
And umm MR. 5 Reasons I haven't been here for a while, what happened to the winds of change? I kind of liked those little insights on the inner workings.

OH and by the way if anybody doesn't know Philly has more abandoned buildings than I would care to describe and I haven't seen allegations of more corruption since Boss Tweed. I know every city has its problems but it takes actually living there to see what it "really" is.

JoefromPGH
01-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Jay,

Lavishing Lucas should be putting forth a program to get rid of all of these developments.

Now you all know my position. Newark has to get rid of these people all together. All of the complexes from Baxter to Bradley Court should get the ole "wrath of God" treatment in the next decade.

But of course, with Cory boy being Mayor I won't expect much. He can't even stand up and implode Brick Towers.

The only reason why Baxter Terrace is still around is because it is relatively "low rise." Baxter Terrace was bad in 1965 and it is even worse today. Its bad enough the poor have to live in high density complexes; its a crime that the criminal element "owns" these compleses.

5..I think the projects you are referring to by Elizabeth are the "Kretchmer Homes." I could be wrong about that but that's what I remember. BTW: I respectfully disagree that the city has to displace the poor all together. Newark is big enough and could become weathy enough to have both the middle class and the poor call it home. We just need to get the criminals the **** out.

5Reasons
01-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Wake up, Joe. Newark's economy CANNOT ABSORB these people into the workforce. The jobs that can afford them are anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes away for these people. I know of entry-level jobs in retail and other industries in burbarlanida in places like Rockaway, Randolph, Mount Olive, Hackettstown to Mansfield to Peapack/Gladstone to Chester (Yes, Mr. 5 Reasons travels quite a bit) that pay $9, $10 and sometimes $11 per hour just to fill the positions.

Here are the facts: there are fewer jobs in Newark today than when Sharpe James took over as Mayor. Those jobs aren't coming back. Newark is the most perfectly UNFIT town for its workforce and its residents. The workforce are mostly low-skilled, manual workers and the downtown economy is built on highly educated workers.

Again, Newark has got to get rid of about 30,000 nonworking low-income people in order to have a MANAGABLE low-income population that can be properly served. Do I want to do my fair share? Yes. Do I want to do MORE than my fair share? Yes. Do I want Newark to keep doing everyones friggin share? HE!! No!!! It's time for Newark to get out of the poverty game. We've been doing too much for this ungreatful state for too long.

JoefromPGH
01-03-2005, 01:26 PM
I just don't know how you can do that. I understand that you are being as objective as possible and yeah, on paper it makes sense. But these are human beings who really are at the rock-bottom. They ain't goin out to Peapack-Gladstone or Chester. If the city displaces 30,000 people, 30,000 people will find whatever they can in other impoverished area's of Newark, EO, IRV, JC, Camden (man that is the worst place in the world), etc:

Hey, I realize the lower-skilled jobs are gone BUT THEY CAN COME BACK. What Newark needs to do is to attract middle class people back first....and this includes, Blacks, Whites and Latino's. In order to do that, the crime rate has to fall and the schools have got to improve....or at least the charter schools. Newark has ALWAYS had a predominance of poor people and its future should NOT exclude these people. Poor people will never improve their lot if they are constantly displaced.

But I do understand your thoughts on this: based on where Newark is TODAY, I agree there are TOO many poor people and not enough jobs to support them. Again, make Newark more attractive; industry will follow and per capita income will rise. And lastly, you gotta understand the type of middle class people who want to or will want to relocate to Newark....these are generally people who welcome and flourish in a diverse environment. Socially, Newark could become a model but I, for instance, would not want to come back if I knew my addition meant another having to leave. There is room - Newark in its heyday had 450,000 people; I'm sure it could easily handle 325,000, without building those awful projects.

black4rob2
01-03-2005, 05:54 PM
What does imploding do? You knock the buildings down...so what. That doesn't mean the problem is going to disappear. Those people will just be relocate and the same things will happen where they move too. Just look at what happened to East Orange, Orange and Irvington..A LOT of those people are nothing but people that used to live in Newark. All those beautiful old buildings along Munn became low income/Section 8 housing..it ruined the neighborhood. I love Newark and I would love to see it cleaned up but pushing our problem into other towns is not the answer.

A lot of those same people that are committing murders in Newark now are those same people that moved out of Irvington, EO, and Orange.

I know it would be expensive and a lot of work, but these cities need to work together in order to combat the problem. Currently all we are doing to these thugs is making them temporarily relocate.

We all have to admit that the violence in Irvington has dramatically decrease; especially compared to Newark.

The key is working together with these other municipalities to draw up an initiative thats going to target the whole problem...not just one cities problem....

Feel ME.....I know you do!