PDA

View Full Version : Booker: The Former Reformer

Miss Tam-Tam
01-19-2005, 10:36 PM
On the popular political website, PoliticsNJ.com, Booker gets tossed in the "Loser" column. Not to worry, people. We'll still have the great Newark Warrior Charlie Kushner to carry the torch. Meanwhile, I'm still doing research trying to find out exactly what it was that Booker reformed. Maybe I dozed off over a bag of White Castles and missed the flash in the pan:

http://www.politicsnj.com/WL_January14_2005.htm

:D :D :D

5Reasons
01-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Tam,

I've been asking the same question and have never gotten a credible answer. How can you be a "reform" candidate if you are going to run with up to 7 incumbents or former elected officials?

Look, I understand the concept of cooptation but he's going overboard. And let's be clear - it is this incompetent council that doesn't have active subcommittees; that don't have a coherent vision for this city; that can't seem to pass a budget on time and so on.

I think I understand what Cory is trying to do. He figures that if Sharpe could bully this council that if he's elected that he can bully this council. But then what have we accomplished? We've replaced a street-smart gym teacher for a Ivy League lawyer but still what have we done to advance democracy?

I think Cory, in the end, will implement positive change. After all, he will be the first Mayor in 70 years that won't be concerned with GETTING RICH while on the job - and that's probably a good thing. I also think Newark CAN USE Cory's face as part of its new marketing campaign as the city continues to reposition itself and finally fulfills its potential.

But again, Newark has to grow BEYOND this cult of personality driven democracy. True change occurs AT THE BLOCK LEVEL. We have to create a government that inspires, assists and allows local residents to be empowered. We have to understand that democracy is about the INDIVIDUAL. From a historical context, it is a radical theory that argues that the INDIVIDUAL has dominion. So while we state that we are a democracy, we often behave as though we are followers of a royal family or a dictator. What's worse is that we've come to behave in a passive manner that our republican framework all too often encourages.

"Do we Americans really want good goverment? Do we know it when we see it? Are we capable of that SUSTAINED GOOD CITIZENSHIP which alone can make democracy a success?" -- Lincoln Steffens, 1903

counterattack
01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
How in the hell can politicsnj.com put Tara Dowdell in the losing column for this month. She managed to get on a television show and have a shot at being Trumps apprentice does this not make you a winner. In addition she is a hottie so as far as I am concerned she is a winner.

POLITICSNJ.com you are the losers

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-20-2005, 12:12 PM
The controversy was whether or not she got a college degree because the show put her on the "Street Smarts" Team which only consists of high school graduates.

counterattack
01-20-2005, 03:31 PM
That still does not make her a loser, so are you saying because she was on the street smart team and not on the team with the degrees that makes her a losers. She is a winner as far as I am concerned just on the mere fact that she was able too be a contestant on the show. I wonder if this would have been a white person who acheived this would they have considered her or him a loser. I will answer it for you NO!!!!!! they would have made a big deal out of it and that person would have been considered a hero from Jersey.

Heck just look at all the overated young white folks that they have on their power list that I and you know have done nothing to be there and we wouldn't follow them out of a burning building. I am tired of Black folks accomplishments being played down in this State the same State that was the last to abolish Racism in the constitution.

Maximus
01-20-2005, 05:15 PM
As a person of color you have to work twice as hard to get half as much as your white counterpart. But aren't we taking this show a bit too seriously?

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-20-2005, 06:34 PM
That still does not make her a loser, so are you saying because she was on the street smart team and not on the team with the degrees that makes her a losers. She is a winner as far as I am concerned just on the mere fact that she was able too be a contestant on the show. I wonder if this would have been a white person who acheived this would they have considered her or him a loser. I will answer it for you NO!!!!!! they would have made a big deal out of it and that person would have been considered a hero from Jersey.

Heck just look at all the overated young white folks that they have on their power list that I and you know have done nothing to be there and we wouldn't follow them out of a burning building. I am tired of Black folks accomplishments being played down in this State the same State that was the last to abolish Racism in the constitution.

I just explained why Politicsnj.com put her in the loser column.

counterattack
01-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I am tired of hearing that tired excuse for racism, fact is we are just as equal as our white counterparts and sometimes even better and no I am not taking the show too serious I am just giving Kudos when it is deserved.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Take a peep at the NJ.com forum. The burbians have overun the place! :eek: Every post is a cheap shot at rice, sharpe, or police director.

LastCubanStanding
01-20-2005, 08:11 PM
There's a lot of the same cheap shots being thrown here toward the same people you mention. And they are not from burbians. What do you say to them? What is your answer to Newark residents who aren't to happy with the mayor & the police director?

BTW...as long I lived in Newark (30 years) everybody always hated their elected officials...until re-election time.

ProSouth
01-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Anybody read the actual letter Booker wrote to the Judge on Kushner's behalf:
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/stories/CoryBooker.pdf

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Kushner the Newark WARRIOR? :mad:

ProSouth
01-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Warrior??? Of What?? Fighting the good fight for hookers? LMAO. It seems that he wrote the letter with the thought that it would be looked at politically. I'm just wondering who the hell gave him the advise to write it at all. Funny, but I say bad move.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Did you see how Cory always has to include the fact that he lives in Newark.

And only spent two TINY sentences referring to what Kushner was convicted of!!!!

I wonder what all the Booker backers are saying now.....Can they name ANY letter of support he wrote for ANY African Americans or Newarkers who were under fire these past years? NONE

He didn't even write a letter of support for Bolden...He only supposedly gave a few comments when asked by the press.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-24-2005, 11:02 AM
There's a lot of the same cheap shots being thrown here toward the same people you mention. And they are not from burbians. What do you say to them? What is your answer to Newark residents who aren't to happy with the mayor & the police director?

BTW...as long I lived in Newark (30 years) everybody always hated their elected officials...until re-election time.

I Think you need to respect the people of Newark for voting the officials in....No one in Newark is dumb....If you don't know Sharpe James and his record by now then shame on you.

BTW - Do you know who Booker would make police Director?.....NOPE so don't merely "Hate" on someone you don't like versus someone you don't even know is qualified and could be much worse.

Maximus
01-24-2005, 11:29 AM
The coming home party for Gary Harris after he was released from jail? Who was responsible for that party/fund raiser?

LastCubanStanding
01-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Please reread my post. The only point I was trying to get across was that many NEWARK residents were also complaining about Sharpe, Ambrose, etc...not just burbians.

I was not injecting any of my personal opinion into my post. Please reread it.

ProSouth
01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
You were thinking the exact same thing I was thinking. This is one of the things that always got to me about Cory. His seemingly overwhelming affection of white folks. One major beef with him was his stance against Len Jeffries. Someone better tell him that Black folks don't like brothers who "look" more sympathetic to whites than Blacks. He's a Black Jewish Christian. That's an identity thing that will hurt him in '06. Unfortunately Black folks may not be up on the important issues but they damn sure up on the negative gossip.

5Reasons
01-24-2005, 12:11 PM
He called himself a resident of Brick Towers and a "Prisoner of Hope." Is that what they're calling Brick Tower residents these days? Prisoners of hope???

I'm going to remember that "prisoner of hope" bit. That's almost as bad as Bush's "catastrophic success" comments or Sharpe saying, "they're not shooting at me." Or how 'bout Bolden's comments, "Newarkers can't pass the test" statement. My goodness, where do these people come from? And more importantly, why do they keep coming to Newark??? :rolleyes:

Well, at least Booker got the encaged part correct. Let's hope he leads the way to those puppies implosion.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Please reread my post. The only point I was trying to get across was that many NEWARK residents were also complaining about Sharpe, Ambrose, etc...not just burbians.

I was not injecting any of my personal opinion into my post. Please reread it.

In a FREE country people have a right to complain about their leadership.

Since Superman does not exist we will have crime.

Every election the voters of Newark have an option of ousting the current leadership especially in 2002. In terms of safety folks said Sharpe was doing enough of a job to deserve 4 more years as opposed to picking Booker/Hooker who has ZERO criminal or law enforcement experience, Is not a criminal attorney, did not say who he would put in as Police director, and had NO system to introduce better than our current COMSTAT (which has been mimmicked all over the world) to include HBO's "The Wire".

Before McGreevy's scandal broke he had a less than 50% approval rating for OVER a year....He was still respected as the governor, and no one suggested he resign. A term in office is defined by 4 years of overall governance, not one snapshot, not 1 month, and not without observing what OUTSIDE influences have on a municipality.

Since the county prosecutor's office admits they cut deals to avoid trials then there are more criminals on the street, Since there have been RECENT heavy paroles there are more criminals out on the street, Since there is a CURRENT national jobless economy there will be less economic opportunities and more crimes committed. These events ALL affect newark heavily and have an impact NO MATTER WHO THE MAYOR IS, and many people know that.

You may not believe Sharpe is doing the best job but NO ONE has shown themselves to do better or come even close. Maybe Sharpe and I should take trips to Peru like Booker and then we'd have the answers for everything you wish for.

P.S. I have never heard of any law enforcement/Anti-Drug/Job Creation seminars in Peru!

If Booker truly wants to run newark he's got to do better than state "I'm not Sharpe"

LastCubanStanding
01-24-2005, 03:42 PM
The point that I was trying to get across is that EVERYBODY (no matter where you are) complains about their elected leadership, but then they re-elect them.

I remember past elections (when I resided in Newark), everybody was always on a "Sharpe sucks" kick. Then he was relected over and over.

Maximus
01-24-2005, 04:06 PM
This is the incompentcy defense titled, "Well, I'm we're not perfect so any half-ass service you get will have to do." Perfection isn't the issue here. Honesty, integrity and competance is.

BTW, I wonder who is responsible for that "Hooker Booker" stuff. Maybe it was Superman.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
01-24-2005, 04:22 PM
What competency does Booker have to run the city of Newark? Being elected to a council seat after ambushing an incumbant by having a large campaign fund doesn't qualify. Being an attorney for 6 years doesn't qualify.

What integrity does Booker have when he has presently hired convicted felons and attempts to BUY current council incumbents? (the same ones he's called incompetent repeatedly)

What honesty does he have when his campaign collected/and used money for his TEAM of candidates many of whom did not even appear on the ballot? OR When his campaign admitted they were behind a series of flyers created by a ficticious non-profit Newark community group? Remember the glossy "renaissance for the rest of us" flyers?

Maximus
01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
let's not re-fight the '02 election where Sharpe (and Big Al and Jesse Jackson) won.

How was a wily veteran (punch-drunk nucklehead) "ambushed"? It was just his time, like it will be Charlie's time, soon.

Hmmmm, let's see...lawyer vs. gym teacher...who would I choose..ah, never mind.

What "convicted felon" are you referring to? I hope it isn't anyone who worked for the mayor. That would be hypocritical of the mayor to attack Booker, right?

counterattack
01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Funny how when people point out Booker's lack of experience there is always an excuse.

Let me give you some news Dana will never beat Charlie you already lost that battle my advice too the Bookerites is Don't touch it.

Booker will never be Mayor of this city as long as he has uninformed supporters like yourself who don't understand that being a gym teacher or lawer does not matter in Newark, what matters to us is that you have to relate too us and your team sadly to say still does not accomplish that.

I am not a Booker supporter but I will tell you the mere fact that this is considered to still be a race your team did not do it's Job.

Booker had this city handed to him on a silver platter and he blew it and continues too blow it because he has advisors like you around him.

Maximus
01-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Two against one? Hardly seems fair. John probably had to run home anyway.

No excuses for Booker, he did blow it. But the mayor ain't what he was in '02.

Charlie is in trouble. You know it. I know it. CHARLIE knows it.

counterattack
01-24-2005, 06:44 PM
This is what I am talking about other than the fact that you have someone on your team (Dana Rone who by the way has her own trouble and god knows I can't wait until those details come out will read like a halloquin love novel with the same sex that is........ seniors going to love that story)Who wants too replace Charlie tell me where he is in trouble.
I say he is not in trouble as a matter of fact he is a good Councilman for the central ward everyone knows him he relates too the voters of the ward, he is grounded, has legitimate community activities unlike those phony ones Booker set up as photo opps when he was the councilman and the biggest of them all the seniors love him now tell me where he is in trouble?????

jazzyken
01-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Counter, just a question... how is Charlie good for the Central Ward??? I live in this ward and I would love to know his "accomplishments".

ProSouth
01-24-2005, 08:22 PM
You are going a bit overboard with this "Charlie Bell has no spooks in the closet" stuff. We are talking about Charlie Bell. The former Board of Education Mafia Boss. Get real. I too would like to know about good ole Fried Chicken Charlie's accomplishments in the Central Ward.
As far as Dana Rone is concerned, o.k. she's gay. No secret. My belief though is that the Newark voters are much more understanding of a lesbian being elected to office than a gay man. I think as long as she does not publicly declare her membership in the "Rainbow Coalition" she will most likely get a pass.

So now what has Charlie Bell done in the Central Ward other than eat?

counterattack
01-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Jazz I am too in the central ward and for what I see charlie is liked a great deal I would say his biggest accomplishment as far as I am concerned is he has the faith of the residents unlike Booker he is not a photo op councilman.

Tell me what has the young lady who wants too replace him done in the central ward or tried too do? heck we don't like her on the Board of Ed.

ProSouth
01-25-2005, 12:58 AM
He ain't done nothing. He's got the faith of the people??? So does Booker, so did George Branch. The question is what are Charlie Bell's accomplishments in the Central Ward? Your inability to list any speaks very loud. Look, Bell is a Sharpe flunky. Ever watch him in a council meeting? The only time he seems to even look coherent is when there's food in the room. By the way, looking at Bell, what do you think his I.Q. is? Now Dana (as gay as she wanna be) is a sharp chick (no pun intended). She would do well in the Central Ward. Her mother Mary (a sweet woman...Don't say nothin' bad about Mama Rone) is a serious tenant advocate.
Counter, we need fresh blood all over the city. It's time for the young cats to take over. Let's put Bell and Tucker and Bradley and Rice, Sr. and all those other sleeping dogs on retirement. Do we fear change that much??

5Reasons
01-25-2005, 08:55 AM
The power of incumbency is no longer good enough to maintain your position in Newark. And let's be clear: if these guys think 06 is going to be 02, they are lost.

Now if I'm Charlie, I would tout the continued redevelopment that's going on. Heck, they just carved out two more blocks east bound off Springfield Ave, so the development is going pretty good. (Speaking of which, I have to find out how it is to live in that new complex next to the new Dunky Dees). So, again, Charlie can run on a slogan of revitalization in the Central Ward, plus he's getting a new Science High in his ward (I think that is the Central Ward)

Either way, in general, I'm probably going to be in a surly mood next year and that means incumbents must go. So, they can clutch themselves to Booker all they want, Newark can do better. These guys can't pass a budget. They can't promulgate a Master Plan. They can't provide a vision (short-term or long-term) for Newark. Heck, I don't even know if their subcommittees meet on a regular basis to go over policy.

This crew has gotten rich enough, long enough - it's time for Newark to go in a different direction. And we need to truly understand the stakes in this election. Newark is at the crossroads. It may not get to this junction again for who knows how long. It has to make a decision. Will we continue to be stepchild city that never lived up to its potential (an over 200 year label) or will we finally find that market and complete the revolution.

counterattack
01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I am not in the business of just replacing people just because they are old if they are doing the job than they deserve too stay and as far as I am concerned Charlie is doing a fairly good Job. Pro since Dana is so sharp in your eyes name me one accomplishment that she has done in her current elected position other than critic the institution that she is suppose to represent because she is getting paid by the voucher folks she is promoting, now Pro is this ethical behavior as far as I am concerned what makes this any different than what Rice did with Tony Ghomes

jazzyken
01-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Counter I think the problem is the incumbents are not doing their jobs they are doing what they need to get by. Budgets, policies go untounched until they have to have things done. 2004 budget passed two weeks before 2005! come on. As residents we should have been in an uproar in February. but everybody is comfortable. It is a level of comfortability that keeps them elected term after term. As far as Dana, I know her personally along with her mom, and Dana is very well respected by her community. She can look at Central Ward without the rose colored glasses. Which will incorporate changes.
I am still awaiting to here what Bell has done in his term! I know him and he is a "yes, sir" kind of man. Not a leader. Not looking for change. I think he is comfortable with the Central Ward the way it is. Unfortunatley, the residents are tired.

ProSouth
01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Who wants too replace Charlie tell me where he is in trouble.
I say he is not in trouble as a matter of fact he is a good Councilman for the central ward everyone knows him he relates too the voters of the ward, he is grounded, has legitimate community activities and the biggest of them all the seniors love him. I am not in the business of just replacing people just because they are old if they are doing the job than they deserve too stay and as far as I am concerned Charlie is doing a fairly good Job.

First of all how did we get from Charlie Bell being a "good Councilman for the central ward" to "Charlie is doing a fairly good job" ? Counter I believe you Brother ;) . If you say it I'll believe it, just tell me what ole Charlie has done? I got a better question for you counter since you seem to be a Brother who is a good judge of character, When Charlie Bell was at the BOE prior to state takeover what were his accomplishments?.................

Pro since Dana is so sharp in your eyes name me one accomplishment that she has done in her current elected position other than critic the institution that she is suppose to represent because she is getting paid by the voucher folks she is promoting, now Pro is this ethical behavior as far as I am concerned what makes this any different than what Rice did with Tony Ghomes

1. Come on now counter, I asked you first :D . Give me some of Charlie's accomplishments in his 20+ years in Newark politics other than being a Sharpe flunky and then we'll talk about what Dana has done in her very short stint at the BOE. As long as Charlie has had feces on his nose you have to have a long list for me Brother.

2. Counter you slippin Brother. Does not the NTU do exactly the opposite of what you clain the "voucher folks" do and have done for years. Does not the NTU and their membership financially support those who are against vouchers? And why is the NTU against vouchers? They are against them for their own personal reasons that have nothing to do with Newark students (That's another disscussion). So my question for you is, Is It Ethical Behavior from all those who take money and support from the NTU??

3. I know plenty of Central Ward church going seniors who don't like Charlie because he came in on some "I'm going to do more than Booker sh**" and ain't did nothing yet. Again, Charlie either thinks people in the Central Ward are just too stupid to recognize his none action or he is on acid or something.
Even you one of his supporters can't even name his accomplishments in the ward says alot about you... Him actually not having any accomplishments in the Central ward says alot about him and gives more support to the only reason he should be replaced.

4. Another thing that tells alot about you and your mentality is this statement "I am not in the business of just replacing people just because they are old if they are doing the job than they deserve too stay and as far as I am concerned Charlie is doing a fairly good Job." Charlie being old is not the issue. Having fresh, new blood and ideas is. You yourself said he is onlt doing a "fairly good job". Don't we as Newarkers deserve more than fair good? And how is the vibrant talent of Newark to achieve in Newark when politicians who make careers out of as you put it "doing the job" rather than excelling and agressively making new strides and accomplishments at the job. And just so you know, I make no distinction as to whether they are young Sharpe supporters or young non-Sharpe supporters, let's get new life into Newark.

counterattack
01-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I am a Central Ward resident and I say he is doing a fair Job that's more than I can say for most of them.You are the one who wants Charlie replaced not me you tell me what he has not done and where are all of these complaints??? I don't hear them and I live in the ward you don't, also answer my question what has Dana done in the position she currently hold and if there are so many problems in the Central Ward what solutions have she put forward to change them .....Don't answer that I will tell you none just like she is doing on the Board nothing but complaining. I would assume Dana thinks being a Councilwoman is somwhat of a promotion where I come from to get promoted you have to first do well in the position you are in, what merits her getting a promotion???

jazzyken
01-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Counter not to jump form one person to another. I was just wondering what are bell's accomplishments while in office as councilman. Not to start a debate of Dana v. Charlie. As you are a supporter of charlie, can you tell me his accomplishements? And I am a resident of the central ward. Thanks.

Maximus
01-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Do you think that Bell doing a "fair" job merits his return to the council at his current salary? Why is "fair" good enough for the central ward?

ProSouth
01-26-2005, 08:52 PM
I am a Central Ward resident and I say he is doing a fair Job that's more than I can say for most of them.
You keep saying that but you obviously refuse to enlighten us exactly what he is doing. What we asked you 5 times? Don't tell me the great agitator is at a loss for words. I might agree with you, just tell us what he is doing that is so great.
You are the one who wants Charlie replaced not me you tell me what he has not done and where are all of these complaints???
Correction, I want productivity. I want freshness. I want Newark to live and not just survive. Seeing that you can't tell me about any of Bell's productivity and freshness (other than his productive mad dash to the food buffets), he qualifies as someone who needs to be replaced.

I would assume Dana thinks being a Councilwoman is somwhat of a promotion where I come from to get promoted you have to first do well in the position you are in, what merits her getting a promotion???
What merits Charlie Bell getting a promotion? He did well where????? Oh, I'm sorry, that's the question we keep asking and you keep evading.

Counterattack, pick your game up Brother. You are an expert at the non-answer. I thought you were going to educate me on something about Charlie I didn't already know. Newark should come first. If there is someone out there that is better than Dana they deserve the job over her. I'm keeping it real. The only train I'm tying my caboose to is the Newark train. Stop bigging up folks who you clearly are giving knee jerk support to over Newark's greatness. Up your game Brother...Newark deserves it.