PDA

View Full Version : has a thread been removed?

LastCubanStanding
01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Can someone please tell me if the thread started last night by Sporty was removed, and if so, why?

If it is an oversight on my part, I apologize in advance.

counterattack
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
The thread has been removed this censorship is getting out of hand.

LastCubanStanding
01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I know you had nothing to do with this because you and I fought the same problem at NJO. We always have opposing views but respect each others right to voice them.

Hey 5 - You really are a punk. Someone calls you on the carpet and you have them banned?

Stop your tirades about having people banned for racist or non-Newark topics. You had him banned because he disagreed with you and made YOU look stupid.

I made YOU look stupid and like a racist, so YOU threatened to ban me.

If you disagree with someone, say so on the forum. Banning them is so immature, dude. Makes you look like a real punk.

5Reasons
01-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I had nothing to do with that post being removed. In advance, I accept your apology for wrongly accusing me of censorship.

But even you admit, that Sporty had no new issues on Newark to talk about, instead, he only wants to talk about me. This is a forum about NEWARK.

Carry on.

LastCubanStanding
01-20-2005, 12:41 PM
For wrongly accusing him of having a post removed. I will send him 4 new hubcaps for his Kia as a gesture of reconciliation.

5 - still waiting to end the discussion on the redevelopment of downtown. Anxiously awaiting your plan.

5Reasons
01-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Again, I accept your apology - and let me tell you, being that I am a "punk" and a "racist" that was pretty hard to do.

I've been giving redevelopment some serious thought and I will try to present it over the weekend. I am still working out a few thoughts. But you can rest assure - it does not include higher taxes on burbarians or real residents of Newark.

LastCubanStanding
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
BTW, I don't mind paying taxes that go to Newark. I have my business here and I have to pay my fair share. Additionally, the entire state reaps the benefit of an improved Newark.

It annoys me when people in my neck of the woods (usually older people) vote down school referendums because it raises their taxes, even though in the long run it will lead to better schools (and increased property values).

5Reasons
01-20-2005, 01:35 PM
As I'm sure you know, higher taxes for schools does not always correlate to better schools. Heck, the average Newark teacher earns $70G and outcomes for Newark students are still distressing. More than revenue, schools need accountability measures in place to guide policy, resource allocation and progress.

If you've followed my post, you would know that I am a frequent critic of the NJEA. I continue to ask people to look beyond their call for "smaller classrooms." The idea is great in theory but is a nightmare in practice. Smaller classrooms means more teachers, stronger unions which eventually leads to much higher costs. The fixed costs associated with that kind of change is also expensive. More teachers means you need more classrooms, which means more space and that could equal building even more schools (which have a host of fixed costs associated with it.)

Again, just give me a couple of days to theorietically work out my proposal for empowering Newarkers in the redevelopment process.

NEWARK SPEAKS
01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
"Newark Speaks.com was created to give the citizens of Newark and those who care about the city a voice for open discussion and debate regarding all the issues that concern and affect us. The creators of NewarkSpeaks.com forums believe in the tenets of Free Speech and will uphold that right for all participants of this forum without overt and unnecessary censorship."

http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1 (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1)

This is the total purpose of this forum. Newark Speaks was not created for individuals whose sole purpose seems to be to go from forum to forum to disrupt and spam. Despite what some may feel, we must not allow the forum to turn into a free for all for those who seek to create disorder. If allowed, we look no better than the Newark forum over at NJ.com.

As the administrator of this forum it is my duty to maintain order without infringing on a person's right of free speech. But a line must be drawn when troublemakers from other forums come here to continue their troublemaking. Disagreements are fine. Heated disagreements are fine. Not liking someone because of their race, views and geographical location is also fine here on the forum. But in our disagreements we should wish to maintain an atmosphere of respectability.

There will never be a censorship of views on this forum, just an avoidance of the foolishness that takes place in other forums like the Newark forum of NJ.com.
Would you not like to go to a movie theater and see the movie without someone two rows away from you screaming their First Amendment Rights at the top of his lungs disrupting the peace and infringing on your right and the rights of others in the theater to enjoy the movie? I for one would be happy if the management of that theater maintained order for the betterment of everyone.

Censorship at NJ.com was of entire ideas, views, subjects and thus groups of forum participants. We do not and will not do that here as a practice, but neither will Newark Speaks be a free for all for spammers and disrupters to turn us into what NJ.com has become.

Any questions or comments regarding our actions can be posted here or emailed to me at: WebMaster@NewarkSpeaks.com (WebMaster@NewarkSpeaks.com)

Thanks,
Webmaster

LastCubanStanding
01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Except there seems to be selective enforcement of the rules. Several of the forum members continue to post disrespectful and/or racist posts. Sporty was responding to one of these sposts and I don't think his response was disrespectful at all.

I felt some of the responses to my earlier posts were disrespectful and racist in nature (in agreement with many other forum members), but I did not see the need to have these people banned. However, when I responded in a respectful manner, I was threatened with being banned.

please enforce the rules across the board....

counterattack
01-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I concur with lastcuban if you are going to enfoce rules then it should be across the board.

NEWARK SPEAKS
01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
As the administrator of this forum it is my duty to maintain order without infringing on a person's right of free speech. But a line must be drawn when troublemakers from other forums come here to continue their troublemaking. Disagreements are fine. Heated disagreements are fine. Not liking someone because of their race, views and geographical location is also fine here on the forum. But in our disagreements we should wish to maintain an atmosphere of respectability.

There will never be a censorship of views on this forum, just an avoidance of the foolishness that takes place in other forums like the Newark forum of NJ.com.

LastCubanStanding & counterattack:
Your post and comments seem to suggest that somewhere in my post I made reference to someone being banned for being "disrespectful and racist". Your assumption is incorrect. What my post does say is:

"Newark Speaks was not created for individuals whose sole purpose seems to be to go from forum to forum to disrupt and spam. Despite what some may feel, we must not allow the forum to turn into a free for all for those who seek to create disorder."

"Censorship at NJ.com was of entire ideas, views, subjects and thus groups of forum participants. We do not and will not do that here as a practice, but neither will Newark Speaks be a free for all for spammers and disrupters to turn us into what NJ.com has become."

Your post also seem to suggest that because one forum member may have thought that another forum member's posts were racist and complained about it, that this was the reason they were banned. Your assumption again is incorrect. If what you suggest was a policy, complaints against your posts in particular would have ended with your banishment as well. Your continued presence here as a members is proof that what you suggest is incorrect.

Additionally, your request that I "please enforce the rules across the board" sounds as though you are suggesting I do otherwise. No "rules" have been enforced against you or anyone else who is now a member of this forum. If you are speaking on behalf of those who may now be banned, then you would have to be privy to the reason why that poster was banned, to which I do not think you are.

counterattack
01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
There should not be any reason for someone to have been complaining about me I have a right too disagree just like everyone else on this forum and will continue too do soo rather you ban me or not. I do beleive that if you banned sporty and I assume you did then you were wrong for doing it because he was not the one who initiated the racist comments he disagreed with a subject matter that was being discussed. If it is your policy that someone should be banned because of disagreements or if you feel that because a complaint is lodged against a member for no reason other than that member disagreeing then once again you are wrong.

I am a member of this forum because I am a Newark resident and you say it is for us to give our opinions I will not have anyone tell me what those opinions should consist of so I don't take kindly to the suggestion I would have been banned if you would have thought the complaints against me where justified I WLL NOT CHANGE MY OPINIONS FOR YOU OR NOBODY ELSE ON THIS FORUM!!!!

NEWARK SPEAKS
01-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Please take note of the following:

There should not be any reason for someone to have been complaining about me I have a right too disagree just like everyone else on this forum and will continue too do soo rather you ban me or not. I am in full agreement with you counterattack.

I do beleive that if you banned sporty and I assume you did then you were wrong for doing it because he was not the one who initiated the racist comments he disagreed with a subject matter that was being discussed. If it is your policy that someone should be banned because of disagreements or if you feel that because a complaint is lodged against a member for no reason other than that member disagreeing then once again you are wrong.counterattack, I think my post was very explicit in this regard. Again, disagreeing with another member IS NOT a reason, nor will it EVER BE a reason for being banned from this forum. I thought my last 2 posts made that relatively clear.

I am a member of this forum because I am a Newark resident and you say it is for us to give our opinions I will not have anyone tell me what those opinions should consist of so I don't take kindly to the suggestion I would have been banned if you would have thought the complaints against me where justified counterattack, please re-read my posting. You totally and completely misunderstood exactly what I said. To reiterate, my remark was: "Your post also seem to suggest that because one forum member may have thought that another forum member's posts were racist and complained about it, that this was the reason they were banned. Your assumption again is incorrect. If what you suggest was a policy, complaints against your posts in particular would have ended with your banishment as well. Your continued presence here as a members is proof that what you suggest is incorrect."

Much about my post seems to confuse you. If there is anyway to make my comments more plain and understandable to you, I would be more than willing to do so.

I am sure you would agree that Newark Speaks is a forum worth protecting from those who would seek to turn it into a forum full of nonsensical foolishness. Banning someone should never be an easy decision and never will be. Your assumptions regarding why a banning took place is just that.

sandiablo
01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
I have to make a reply regarding the comment made by the webmaster and others that seem to get a "kick out" of other perhaps non-Newark residents and commentators. "This website was created to give the residents of Newark and those who care about the city a voice for OPEN discussion regarding all the issues that concern and AFFECT us". I really suggest that we put our minds and resources together and tackle some of the problems at hand. There are individuals who would like to address issues and concerns that affect Newark and unlike me who does not live in Newark, I have a bunch of friends and connections that come from the city and yes the comments and retaliative actions taken against others creates concern and issues. I also know that Newark, despite what has been said about it (good and/or bad), it's a great fun city and in my opinion, a restaurant Mecca of probably the entire northeast region. For that, I am proud of Newark and you should be too. 5, Lastcuban, Pro, get along and not only absorb ideas from each other but use them to resolve ISSUES and concerns, don't use then against others who are involved in this forum.

ProSouth
01-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Good Post Sandiablo

jazzyken
01-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Agreed Sandiablo. Welcome and keep posting!

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Agreed