PDA

View Full Version : Will This Work In Newark

ProSouth
01-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I think so.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=ec793228e7013329ffbb6 019e35c69e1

5Reasons
01-21-2005, 08:22 AM
As FDR said during the Great Depression, "Do something. Do anything." I would be willing to try it at this point; however, you are the law expert and I suspect that you would have to word the law very carefully for it to hold up.

ProSouth
01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I had mixed feelings about this for a minute. But just as we have seen the scourge of gangs slowly creep up and take over Newark to this enormous problem, I think we need to make this a law NOW. Make parents either responsible for their kids and their whereabouts or make the parents responsible for putting thier kids in the system. I'd hate having the system have to regulate people's families but hell if your kid is out committing crimes at 3 a.m. in the morning he/she ain't studying.

Think Sharpe would sponsor a law like this in the state senate?

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Aren't parents of minors already responsible for their kids' actions, or is that just in civil cases ($ damages).

I think this law is basically a good idea, but I worry about going after a single mother whose 15 year-old kid is out of control. What happens to the rest of her kids?

ProSouth
01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
My father use to tell me all the time, I find out you're selling drugs, not only am I going to kick your ass, but you are getting out of my house and if you get locked up don't call home. We ain't getting you out. And he meant that sh**. My mom was the type that would love you to death and love you so much if she found drugs in your room, she would call the police on you just to teach you a lesson.

What happens to the other kids??? Hopefully they learn from seeing their sibling go thorough the system. I understand though. That's why Newark needs to find the money to revive it's recreation program quick.

jazzyken
01-21-2005, 10:35 AM
“We’re taking the fight against gang violence to another level,” Jackson said. “Today is the sixth day of January and we’ve had six people killed this year by gang violence. This has to be stopped.”
And we thought Newark was bad.

As a parent I do think we need this in Newark. Instead of waiting for 5-10 years to follow suit from LA. We need to ban together just like the gangs today.
Now I know there might be parents that disagree with holding parents accountable but WE should know where our children are at all times. I know where my children are now and with all of the violence I will know in the future. Something needs to be done NOW!

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 10:37 AM
The look of disappointment on my father's face would have ALMOST been worse than the beat down I would have gotten.

However, we are lucky, we had BOTH parents. I think some of these kids are raising themselves.

jazzyken
01-21-2005, 10:37 AM
And if my child is caught at 3am breaking into a house or robbing someone at gunpoint be sure that we wil be in a cell together and I would beat his ass down to the ground. :D

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 11:01 AM
If I was going to rob someone at 3AM, I'd better do it the first time I broke curfew, becuase there wouldn't be a second time. My parents knew where I was at all times (for the most part :) ), and they actually cared.

My mother (a retired Newark teacher) has told me stories of third graders who woke, bathed, and fed themselves because mommy couldn't wake up that early. What can we expect from that child?

When it was report card time, the teachers would be availble from noon to 7PM, and 1/2 the parents wouldn't show. When she sent notes requesting their prescense, they wouldn't show either.

If the parents don't care, there is no future for the kids.

ProSouth
01-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Jazzy, you sound like my mother.
My southern parents did not play that. I was lucky to have both parents in the household and they were great parents until we did something stupid. I'll never forget when I was in the 10th grade and me and a few of my buddies from Science stayed out until 2 am in the morning after a party at Arts High. My sweet, lovable, kind hearted three day a week church going mother turned into Iron Mike Tyson. My mom started it off and then something that only fans of the WWF could appreciate, she passed off to my father who together like tag team wrestlers took turns physically reminding me that even at 15 they worked way to hard to raise us for me to forget the rules of the house. Bottom line is that they were worried sick about me and I had no regard at the time for calling them and letting them know if I was dead or alive. As a child I didn't understand, as an adult I appreciate it now.

BTW: Up and until about the 9th grade my curfew was when the street lights came on on the block.

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 12:15 PM
BTW: Up and until about the 9th grade my curfew was when the street lights came on on the block.

My wise a$$ would have busted out the lights, which would have led to yet another beating.

jazzyken
01-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Street lights were my curfew as well and if the street light was broke it was the sun going down. WHAT!!!
I remember staying out after a party with a girlfriend (she was 18) and common sense would have been to stay the nite at her house but I went home at 5am (kids are stupid). Anyway, I walked in the house I was 16-17 y/o and my mom was mopping the kitchen floor. She looked at me and I knew I was dead. She did not say a word. I went upstairs and thought it was over. After she finished mopping the floor she mopped the upstairs with my behind. I can look back and laugh now but I can still feel the pain. OUUUCCCCHHHHHH

jazzyken
01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Cuban, say it ain't so.... were you a delinquent :rolleyes:
I tried to be but my mom held her groung and she was on her own!

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 12:38 PM
But the force of two loving parents stopped me. That, and the threat of being tossed from the house.

jazzyken
01-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Me too!
Just the "look" got me everytime. As a child I was petrified of the "look" now I give it to my children. That is the cycle that should keep going and going. FEAR! :D

LastCubanStanding
01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
So my children will face alternate beatings and counseling :) .

Doofus1
01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Desparate times call for desperate measures, but:

Ricardo Garcia, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, voiced concern about the city’s plans.

It will probably end up costing too much money just upholding the law.

It may work for a very short time period, but you know that prosecutors are not going to be able to prove the necessary element of intent by parents in 99% of the cases. Negligent parenting, while bad, is never going to be a crime. Given the said state of the Essex County Prosecutors Office (which you described in another thread), that is likely to be 100%. It just ends up being a tool to harrass bad parents. After they figure out there is no real risk, there will be no change in their behavior.