PDA

View Full Version : Sharpe James on Like It Is

ProSouth
09-27-2004, 07:07 PM
I saw Sharpe on Like It Is yesterday. He looked sharp (no pun intended) and informative. He also surprised me with his talk about Black Business development in Newark (my biggest criticism of Sharpe) and he cracked me up when he spoke truthfully about jealous, envious folks. Eventhough I have some issues with the administration, Sharpe is a serious O.G. who deserves and has earned respect.

Anyone else see the Like It Is piece???

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
09-27-2004, 07:21 PM
You mean OL' Crusty looked Sharp?

Miss Tam-Tam
09-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Eventhough I have some issues with the administration, Sharpe is a serious O.G. who deserves and has earned respect.
Anyone else see the Like It Is piece???

I did not catch Mayor James on "Like It Is," but I do know that the man's got charisma and a very positive, upbeat attitude about Newark. Even if you disagree with him vehemently on an issue, his magnetic personality is disarming. There is no denying his sincere love of Newark and of its people. That's hard to beat and can't be faked.

rice2006
09-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Listen, Sharpe James loves Newark, probably more than most in elected office. I do not think anyone doubts that, or at least they shouldn't. His has always been charismatic, which may have been the deciding reason most were ready to push Gibson over in 1986 for him (Gibson was our first, but had the charisma of a stuffed cat).

But I found his answers about Black business to be telling and to be a very clear example of why the city's renaissance, no matter if Sharpe or Booker is leading it, is and will be incomplete. Because when African-American leadership was in charge, history will hold them accountable for not developing small business, assisting them with real access to capital and growing capacity.

After 30 years, at least one Black owned hardware store should have been able to move up to the next step and provide the super sized services and products that a Home Depot will provide. And why, with all of the boasting of the famous Newark IHOP, did the city not give the owner the land underneath the business?

Black political power is meaningless unless it nurtures, unleashes and creates Black economic power.

ProSouth
09-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Black political power is meaningless unless it nurtures, unleashes and creates Black economic power.

Economic Power is the only true power America respects.

Houseguest
09-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Economic Power is the only true power America respects.

I also agree 100%!! I was able to catch both shows, last Sunday as well as this past Sunday. It was very refreshing to hear Sharpe James continuing to hammer and focus on economic development issues...particularly as they pertain to small Black owned businesses and access to capital. His love for Newark cannot be questioned.

One thing that he did say that was very telling was the fact that the city drafted a letter to a group of downtown businesses/corporations (I cannot remember the exact date) asking for them to provide up to 500 jobs for Newarkers and their reply was...yup, you guessed it....a resounding NO!!

ProSouth
09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
There needs to be repecussions for such things. Some in politicians in Newark have a reputation for being vendictive for minor BS. They need to be vendictive against corporations that won't contribute to our community. 500 jobs ain't sh**.

Portugalian
09-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Listen, Sharpe James loves Newark, probably more than most in elected office. I do not think anyone doubts that, or at least they shouldn't. His has always been charismatic, which may have been the deciding reason most were ready to push Gibson over in 1986 for him (Gibson was our first, but had the charisma of a stuffed cat).

But I found his answers about Black business to be telling and to be a very clear example of why the city's renaissance, no matter if Sharpe or Booker is leading it, is and will be incomplete. Because when African-American leadership was in charge, history will hold them accountable for not developing small business, assisting them with real access to capital and growing capacity.

After 30 years, at least one Black owned hardware store should have been able to move up to the next step and provide the super sized services and products that a Home Depot will provide. And why, with all of the boasting of the famous Newark IHOP, did the city not give the owner the land underneath the business?

I beleive he loves Newark too and that's why I voted for him. There are things I hear about him that I don't like but the only reason I chose him over Booker was because I didn't beleive Booker loves Newark.