PDA

View Full Version : Draft in 2006

black4rob2
09-29-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm sure by now most if not all of you have received the emails about the proposed legislature for reinstating the military draft.

How do you guys think this (if passed through) will affect OUR city..

Personally, I have mixed feelings...

At the age of twenty-four, obviously I was never personally affected by the draft in previous decades, but would be affected in this proposal. From my understanding it was looked upon rather negatively by many people for many different reasons; mainly people who may have disagreed with the war or maybe even the views of the president.

I DON"T agree with this current war in IRAQ for many different reasons, but at the same time if we are stretching ar current soldiers to thin; where is our insurance policy...who will protect us the next time a crazy person with bomb-making capabilities decides that we are vulnerable and now is the perfect time to strike against us.

I don't know...I'm so stuck on this issue that I can't even articulate my views the way that I want...

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME WITH SOME VIEWPOINTS.... :confused:

Doofus1
09-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Not quite true. His family lives in the White House. There are few bigger targets.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
09-29-2004, 08:54 PM
:eek:

MrTim1955
09-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Not quite true. His family lives in the White House. There are few bigger targets.

And there are few targets better protected.

I was around for the last draft. I feel the draft is nothing more than a way to kill off the country's poor and middle class. The rich are able to buy deferments and keep themselves free of any danger (look at our president).

I think National Service is a better way to go. I think everyone should serve at least two years in the military, fire, or police service. I think there should be no deferments from this service. This way everyone gets to serve his country in one way or another and we could staff our fire and police departments at a much greater rate than we do now.

I think we should compensate them with a regular paycheck plus a year of state-level college for each year served in national service.

Currently military service only attracts the poor and lower middle class because they see it as an opportunity to advance themselves. It's the reason I joined way back when and I know people who are active today for the same reason. However, enlistment rates are dropping because people view the situation in Iraq as wrong and we should not be there.

5Reasons
09-30-2004, 09:27 AM
After all, the chickenhawks would NEVER sign their kids up for it. I always find it amazing that it is the Democrats' kids that are fighting these wars. I'll tell you this: if we had to rely on chickenhawk children to fight the war on terra, we'd might as well surrender.

The only pressing force that would bring the draft back would be the fact that President Pretzel's policies are unsustainable. He's overusing the national guard. He has stop-loss procedures to keep soldiers from leaving the regular force. And, he's bribing people with all kinds of crazy incentives to stay longer. If we have to fight ANYONE else, like Syria or N. Korea, then a draft would surely be on the way.

But let's be clear: the only reason most Americans support this fake war on terra based on Bush WMD, yellow cake et al lies is because THEY DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT IT. If their kids were really in harms way, then they would hold the great pretzel eater accountable. But as long as it's black, brown and working class stiffs kids, they don't care. That's the facts. Deal with it.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
09-30-2004, 08:01 PM
None of our congressional leaders have family at risk of deployment. And you are absolutely correct about the Stop Loss restriction which keeps troops from getting out even when their time is up! :mad: :( :mad: