PDA

View Full Version : I hear

jazzyken
10-05-2004, 12:14 PM
a lot of dispute as to what the Mayor, council persons and administration are accountable for. Can anyone just explain to me what they are accountable for and what not? Not trying to start mess but just trying to get enlightened. Thanks.

jazzyken
10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
by no responses to this question... If anyone does not know exactly can someone just take a guess.

ProSouth
10-05-2004, 08:17 PM
I think our elected officials are (amongst other things) responsible for anything and everthing they take credit for during election time. They are also responsible to service the will of the people. Problem is that most citizens don't hold elected officials responsible.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Email me at cptjames1@hotmail.com and i'll give you the rundown on who is supposed to do what.

MrTim1955
10-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Email me at cptjames1@hotmail.com and i'll give you the rundown on who is supposed to do what.

so that we all have a clue to what they are supposed to be doing other than sucking our wallets dry.

Tim

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
:D I hear about millions in corrupt white collar crime from areas OUTSIDE of Newark DAILY, so any "Sucking" from Newark can't compete with what you and your neighbors steal from the community at large! :D

These folks aren't from Newark...and there are a whole lot more of them......

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/index.ssf?/base/news-6/109704305554290.xml

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-4/109704342954290.xml?starledger?nun

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1096436060137050.xml?starledger?nmx

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1096003980320890.xml?starledger?nun

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1096004007320890.xml?starledger?nwr

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-7/109704307854290.xml?starledger?nnj

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business-0/109617446637980.xml?starledger?bpha

Now what exact crime has Sharpe committed to suck money out of your wallet Tim? :confused:

And please don't let me go into all of the Savings and loan scandals, NO bid $17 Billion Halliburton Contract, and the $2.2 billion dollar Xanadudu project (which should invest money into schools instead of a high-tech MALL)

MrTim1955
10-06-2004, 10:08 AM
:D I hear about millions in corrupt white collar crime from areas OUTSIDE of Newark DAILY, so any "Sucking" from Newark can't compete with what you and your neighbors steal from the community at large! :D

You said you would provide the responsibilies of the Newark Politicians. Instead you want to obsess on the white collar crime.

Newark taxes to a steep jump last year. I would now like to see some things improved as a result of that jump.

For instance: South Street would be a lot smoother as a dirt road. When will it be fixed? I see this as a responsibility of the city. Instead they increase the pay of the deputies while we get to drive on poor streets.

What do me and my neighbors steal from the community at large?

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
it would be one thing if the City said "We want to increase taxes to better the city by implementing the following programs......"

That wasn't the case. So just because the COURT ordered Newark to revaluate, which it hadn't done in 43 years, didn't mean all of a sudden services were supposed to increase.

Explain to me that while during the 43 years there was no reval landlords consistantly increased rents annually? The city's taxes weren't increasing so why were the rents? :confused:

And for those landlords who had already paid off their mortgages and collected these exorbitant rents, did they ever say "Hey, city hall, I made so much here's a little back or here is a donation to enhance city services" NO!

In some towns the council/mayor says "We want to increase taxes to add on to the school" and the townsfolk vote yea or nae. A court ordered reval is not the same animal! There was no quid pro quo!

MrTim1955
10-06-2004, 11:05 AM
It is the city's responsibility to perform services for the residents.

The reval was nothing more than to make sure that the people are taxed according to what the property value truly reflects. I have no problem with that since it should be done at a maximum of every 5 years to make sure people are paying their fair share and only their fare share. Anyone who fights reval should not be re-elected to any office.

I noticed that the city council and mayor didn't hesitate to raise their own and their staff's salaries when the new money came in. Was yours one of those salaries? Is that why you protect the status quo so much?

The city has a responsibility to the residents. They are not there just to collect a salary. You said you could provide the repsonsibilities of the various offices to JazzyKen. All I asked is that you provide them to everyone. Can you do that? I doubt it? You're too worried about making sure everyone in city hall keeps sucking the residents' wallets dry.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
One thing EVERYONE agrees on is that Newark is improving. Folks running for office only propose to take Newark to the "Next Level" or whatever that means.

It is a joke that you say City employees aren't working. Can they work more efficiently in some areas? YES. Are there any No show jobs? NO. Is there ANY municipality which gets more scrutiny regarding taxpayer dollars than Newark, NO. So, if according to you folks in Newark aren't working then get your LAZY a$$ up, walk over to the FBI HQ and report such misdeeds (in case you didn't know its walking distance from city hall).

You forget that the current elected officials are up for re-election every 4 years and if they didn't represent the people's interest or perform city services then they wouldn't have been elected. (Ask your buddy Booker...winning office isn't automatic)

P.S. maybe you should run for office? :confused: You could run a "Fix South Street Campaign" :D

MrTim1955
10-06-2004, 12:17 PM
No one was talking about city employees. The thread was about the responsibilities of elected officials. I would suggest a reading course but it would probably come out of the taxpayer's pocket.

I assure you I do vote. You can check with my polling place and they will tell you I am usually one of the first ones there. None of the current elected officials got my vote the last time they came up for election (for any office) and they won't get it the next time either.

I have no desire to run for political office. I hold myself to higher standards than any I have seen from Newark officials.

As far as running an fix South St campaign, I do my part about letting my elected representatives know how I feel about things. Not that it matters here in Newark. Ask your father about the video of Ruggeiro's during his last campaign when I brought it to Pennington Court rally? This was after years of begging him to do something about it. The embarassment helped to get things accomplished though.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Come on.... Seriously! Run for council...we need higher standards! :D

Just kidding. Glad you were able to get the Ruggero issue resolved. And thank you for being concerned about Newark. We need more folk like you.

P.S. relax...I won't pick on you anymore (I don't want that pacemaker to short out :eek: )