PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE ON HOUSING LAYOFFS

counterattack
10-08-2004, 06:45 AM
More housing layoffs will occur on the 15th this time all the tradesmen have been let go, I hear the union president who has been speaking out and filed an injunction to bring some of the workers back (that was successful by the way,the press didn't print that) his step-father who is an electrician by trade was hit this time.

I wonder how he feels about saving some of his members jobs and is helpless in saving his father?

I would assume it is a tough situation to be in.

bqribs
10-08-2004, 08:19 AM
More housing layoffs will occur on the 15th this time all the tradesmen have been let go, I hear the union president who has been speaking out and filed an injunction to bring some of the workers back (that was successful by the way,the press didn't print that) his step-father who is an electrician by trade was hit this time.

I wonder how he feels about saving some of his members jobs and is helpless in saving his father?

I would assume it is a tough situation to be in.

Counterattack, FYI since the father or father-in-law is an union electrician hired out of the union hall. He is considered a temporary employee and should have been laid off before the list of 99 was even made up. Actually the NHA has an agreement that union labor hired out of the hall must be laid off after 6 months employment.

5Reasons
10-08-2004, 09:43 AM
I heard they hired back a few that could "do the most damage". Is that true?

counterattack
10-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Rather he is from a hall or not the fact that he saved other people jobs and is helpless in saving his own stepfather is worry some to me.

counterattack
10-08-2004, 09:48 AM
No that is not true most of the employees that came back are low level employess either maintenance or clerical since they are the only ones the seiu represents. I hear though the rest of the unions are following what SEIU did and now are filing injunctions to try to get some of their employees back.

bqribs
10-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Rather he is from a hall or not the fact that he saved other people jobs and is helpless in saving his own stepfather is worry some to me.

No, I did not miss the question. I believe you missed the response. Temporary employees should have been the first to go regardless of who they are.

My question to you is how did the father/father-in-law/stepfather manage to stay beyond his six months term of employment?

bqribs
10-08-2004, 12:09 PM
More housing layoffs will occur on the 15th this time all the tradesmen have been let go,

Counterattack, What trademen will be let go? Will it be the ones hired out of a Union Hall or will it also include the NHA tradesmen e.g. the renovation crew?

counterattack
10-08-2004, 12:58 PM
there is no longer an agreement on tradesman being there only six months , that agreement ended over 4 years ago.

I am not suggesting that they are retaliating against the union guy, but it does seem a lil odd that now his stepfather gets a layoff letter after he challenges and takes housing to court.

bqribs
10-08-2004, 08:24 PM
there is no longer an agreement on tradesman being there only six months , that agreement ended over 4 years ago.

I am not suggesting that they are retaliating against the union guy, but it does seem a lil odd that now his stepfather gets a layoff letter after he challenges and takes housing to court.

I didn't know the 6 month agreement ended 4 years ago, but at the same time the father/father-in-law/stepfather was or still is a temporary employee. Shouldn't he have been let go first. Counterattack you have used the term father/father-in-law/stepfather so I am not sure exactly what his relationship is.