PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer Shot

Miss Tam-Tam
10-09-2004, 12:34 PM
I have always believed that it is a really bad idea for the police -- any police -- to pursue/chase car thieves or other perpetrators. It never seems to be worth the high risk to human life, be it police officers or innocent bystanders. Why not let the helicopters do the pursuit? Am I wrong? It seems that for many perps, the police chase is part of the thrill.

Police officer shot pursuing alleged car thieves

The Associated Press
10/9/2004, 11:09 a.m. ET

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Authorities searched for a man suspected of shooting a police officer early Saturday after allegedly riding in a stolen car.

Helicopters and bloodhounds were called in on the search after the shooting about 4 a.m., according to WCBS radio.

Officers had responded to reports of gunshots when they started chasing a stolen Jaguar, according to a statement released by police. Officers and at least one of the people in the Jaguar shot at each other after the car stopped, and the officer was struck in the face.

The suspects fled in another stolen vehicle, the statement said.

A cab driver was found dead nearby, but police would not say whether that was connected to the suspects, WCBS radio reported.

The officer, whose name was not released, was undergoing surgery at University Hospital. He was listed in serious condition, the radio station reported.

Newark police did not return repeated calls.

5Reasons
10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
I heard he was shot in the face - I can't confirm that. Still, when they find the crook, don't worry about due process; Finish him with a bit of street justice. Write the report any way you want. Let's close this file and desposit this loser in the earth.

LtNPD
10-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Police officer shot pursuing alleged car thieves
10/9/2004, 2:52 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) A police officer was struck in the face by a bullet after chasing a stolen car early Saturday and authorities were searching for his assailant.

Officer Eduardo Patinho was hit in the face by one shot and his shoulder was grazed by another in the 3:45 a.m. shooting. Patinho, a nine-year veteran, was listed as stable after surgery at University Hospital later in the day.

Patinho and his partner, Officer Kimberly Gasavage, had been checking on a report of gunshots when they came across a silver Jaguar that later was discovered stolen, according to authorities.

The Jaguar led the officers on a chase that ended when "the vehicle became disabled" and its four occupants fled, firing at least two shots at police, authorities said.

Patinho and Gasavage, a three-year veteran, fired back and might have hit one of the suspects, according to a police statement.

Two of the suspects were picked up by a stolen Suburu, which later was found abandoned.

Authorities were seeking at least five suspects and were using helicopters and bloodhounds in their search, according to WCBS radio.

Police later found a cab driver who had been fatally shot and were investigating whether the 34-year-old driver was a victim of the suspects in Patinho's shooting.

Authorities had not determined whether the shootings were linked, the statement said.

Miss Tam-Tam
10-10-2004, 02:04 AM
This has really been a tough year for the Newark Police and for all others impacted by this senseless gun violence -- basically everyone. As reported on the news tonight, five Newark Police officers have been shot since July. On Channel 11 an eyewitness, interviewed by a reporter, stated that he saw the five at-large perps book over a fence. He stated that they were all wearing red bandanas. The cars, a Jaguar and the Suburu, were stolen from the parking lot of the Woodbridge Sheraton. In a stunning show of brazenness, it was reported by Mayor James that the Suburu was actually tailing the police cruiser which was in pursuit of the Jag. The police have the neighborhood on lock down and are asking the suspects to turn themselves in. They are, of course, considered armed and dangerous. A resident said the gunfire sounded like the Fourth of July; as if they had emptied their guns. Meanwhile, the poor livery driver who was murdered is mourned. The police think the livery driver may have been shot by the perps in a failed attempt to jack his car. On another broadcast it was reported that the livery driver locked the doors of his car, and they shot him through the window. This story is still being pieced together.

ProSouth
10-10-2004, 09:43 AM
You know I am pro-justice but this shooting crap is getting out of hand. Eventhough I have great misgivings about illegal police actions, I have great respect for good honest police and real police work. To regain a sense of justice and safety I believe that making a good example of these fools would go along way.

MrTim1955
10-10-2004, 11:20 AM
You know I am pro-justice but this shooting crap is getting out of hand. Eventhough I have great misgivings about illegal police actions, I have great respect for good honest police and real police work. To regain a sense of justice and safety I believe that making a good example of these fools would go along way.

I agree that these fools need to have a good example made of them. However, not bringing them to justice through the legal system (as 5 suggests) is not the proper way to do it.

The police need to make sure that they catch the appropriate suspect and insure that everything is done by the book so that he cannot get off on a technicality. However, it seems that quite often the police just do shoddy work as far as investigating.

I served on a jury earlier this year. If the case had rested on the testimony of the detective that was the prosecutor's star witness, the defendent would have walked. The detective kept refering to "notes" which were about things that weren't important enough to include in his official report. Of course these notes couldn't be found in order to be presented in court. He also kept winking and nodding to the jury as if we were all in cahoots with him.

The first thing we deliberated on was whether or not we could convict the detective of dereliction of duty. The good thing was is that the officers from the scene and the one doing the initial investigation provided enough evidence to convict the defendent on some of the counts.

Speaking of jury duty, this was the first time I had ever been picked to serve and it was one of the most interesting experiences of my life.

Miss Tam-Tam
10-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I served on a jury earlier this year. If the case had rested on the testimony of the detective that was the prosecutor's star witness, the defendent would have walked. Speaking of jury duty, this was the first time I had ever been picked to serve and it was one of the most interesting experiences of my life.

I, too, sat on a jury in Essex County. It involved a drug gang out of Irvington. We, the jurors, were shocked at the sloppiness of the prosecution's case. On the other hand, the defendants had top shelf criminal defense attorneys who knew what their clients had for breakfast two weeks earlier. It was as if the case was the only one the defense attorneys had; they were most impressive. After the judge charged the jury, we realized that there was no way the majority could vote for conviction. The way the prosecutor presented the case raised more questions than were answered and simply left too many gaps that were not filled. There was simply too much doubt to convict. If you really want simple justice in the Essex County community, a good place to start is the prosecutor's office. In recent months, gang bangers have been walking out of the courthouse free because the prosecution has been so weak or witnesses flip.

5Reasons
10-10-2004, 05:23 PM
1. Criminal in Newark feel as though they have an ENTITLEMENT to their crime. That's why they shoot anyone, including COPS, when they get in their way.

2. Criminals have dehumanized their existence and that's why they act without fear.

3. The administration and NPD have used too lax policies for too long and that's why these criminals are so hardened in their commitment. Some blocks have been controlled by drug dealers for MORE THAN A DECADE. That is inexcusable. Simply put, their criminal subculture is the DOMINANT force for shaping reality within that constricted area.

4. There are some truly useless parents out there. I don't understand how parents can continue to allow their children to go down a path that is so damn deviant.

Solution: Take back the streets WITH FORCE. I remember about a decade ago, Ron Rice Sr was just yapping out loud some ideas and he suggested that perhaps the National Guard should come into Newark. While that idea sounds extreme, the idea had some merit. Indeed, today we have a version of that idea with the State police in Irvington.

In the end, the only thing that will discourage these hardened criminals is FORCE; and I mean BRUTE force. If enough of them are KILLED, that should discourage their activity. In Atlanta, some urban residents paid a group to commit murders of local drug dealers. While some may look at this as bad, the residents were SATISFIED with this activity. Yes, it's extreme and we SHOULD NOT encourage this; however, my point is that this is where we are headed.

We all must be committed to DESTROYING this subculture using various means/tactics. But, we must also NEVER RELENT in accepting any portion of this criminal subculture. The criminals aren't Robin Hood; they're ROBBIN' YOU!

Most Newarkers don't commit crimes. Most Newarkers only want a safe place to live and to get a quiet night sleep. Newarkers have to overcome so much in this world, the LAST THING they should have to overcome is OTHER NEWARKERS. We must take these people out. Newark can't progress UNTIL we do.

ProSouth
10-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I agree at this point the streets must be taken back but I don't believe the NPD should do it. There is a reason that many have have no confidence in the NPD. Reports of dirty cops make it worst. Listen FEAR WORKS BEST. The real problem here is that these chumps don't fear the police. But they do fear somethings. I know many so called gang members. I speak to these youngins often. Most of them fear death and don't want to be locked up. The fear of God need to be put in them and I guarantee you that this crap would stop. Make being a gang member the last thing that they ever want to be. I have personally witnessed so-called hardened gang members cry like little girls. I have friends who work the jails and prisons who see them bit**-up as they say on the street all the time. They are only "gangstas" around their crew.

Interesting conversation with a Newark Crip just yesterday about the Newark cop being shot. This kid just got out of jail and he said that when he was locked down (and segregated with his other gang members) he heard that the "Gangs were running the streets and taking them from the cops". After I gave him my "The Cops Are Just Going To Adapt and Start Killing You Dumb-Ass Gang Members Speech" he started laughing out loud....No Fear. The laughter stopped when I told him that cops should start locking up gang members mothers, brothers, sisters, girlfriends, baby mommas and convict them for even knowing your dumb-ass. " They can't do that, it's against the law" he responded. Now you got respect for the law?? I asked him how would he feel if everytime a gang member shot a cop or a civilian the police shot and killed someone in your family? He got upset. Wheich proves to me that most gang members love life and most fear death.

The streets muist be taken back. The problem is innocent, law abiding citizens getting caught in the mix. There has to be some sort of different policy that comes down hard on gang members and puts fear in them of eve wanting to be associated with gangs but that protects the innocent young brother or sister who is not a gang member.
I have plenty of serious ways to irradicate the problem of gangs but many are too illegal to name on this forum.

Doofus1
10-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Forget the Guard. They are not equipped to do the job. Besides, much of NJ's guard is on its way to Iraq.

If Newark PD is not trustworthy, I don't know how you cannot expect anyone to trust State Troopers.

The bottom line is NPD is going to have to hande this one--maybe with an assist from the Troopers--but it still has to be an NPD operation. And it needs to move with overwhelming force. Make sure that drug dealers and gang members don't feel safe on any corner. But Newark needs to be prepared. The initial impact is going to be more cops being shot and more innocents in the crosshairs, as well. But, if you put the scum on the run, lose their bravado and go back to hiding.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-11-2004, 11:13 AM
:)

5Reasons
10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Doofus,

Do you believe the NPD has the capacity to handle this situation? Newark has some tight budgets coming up, and with rising health costs, I don't think Nwk will have the $$$ to signficantly expand the troops. Unless the Feds come up with another grant program (like COPS), then it looks like the NPD is going to be dealing with scarce resources for quite some time.

myhomenewark
10-11-2004, 12:37 PM
I wonder how many of these young men would take the "opportunity" to go to Iraq or Afghanistan if "offered" instead of jail time? It's sad, but other than outright killing and incarcerating large swathes of poor black men--and make no mistake, there is a sizable group of them who are killers or support the killers in these gangs--maybe real bootcamp could do for these gangbangers what make-believe bootcamp can't.

It wouldn't be all bad; it would give these youngins a chance to understand what living by the gun really means. And maybe some will actually be redeemed. Hell, America isn't dealing with the problems our historically racist and dispossessive system creates anyway, yielding inner city hoodlums without a vision for tomorrow (where a certain percentage of that ilk will "rise up" to kill our peace officers). And Iraq does need additional troops.

This is the most serious issue facing the black community, and we need to develop some sort of equally stark and forceful method to handle it akin to the baseness of street justice without blurring the line between the civilizing "parent" and the "child's" barbarism. We need a whole lot of gangbangers to realize that if you put your hand on a hot stove you get burnt--no safety net; life promises nothing to any of us but breath.

You can't coddle thugs, but it's important to realize that many of these kids through all the hardness they exhibit for one rationale or another are, well, kids. Let's see how tough their urban combat skills are in the quickening that is Iraq. They may yet learn to value life.

black4rob2
10-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Thugs on the streets will never have respect for cops as long as these corrupt cops keep on doing their thing.

Why should I have respect for you, if I know or think that al you are going to do is rob me of my product and my money? Like so many other things in life, we learn and understand by example, and the NPD is doing a poor job demonstrating that.

I’m not sitting here and criticizing all cops as being “Corrupted”, but that is the very image that most thugs and law-abiding citizens receive every time they read the paper, turn the TV on, or sit in their local barbershops and hear the stories. These thugs receive this illustration every time an officer of the law is in a dark alley robbing, beating, and threatening them for their lives and freedom.

Its like telling a kid “yeah son, smoking is bad for you because it gives you lung cancer, blah blah blah,” then you turn around and just puff the smoke in his face. How is he supposed to take you seriously?

Newark has to do several things to get this city back to its citizens and rid the streets of all its filth. Once again, that takes the effort of and energy of every one. This is everyone’s problem and not just the victim’s on that day, not just the cops involved, or the family of the victim and cop… This is our entire problem.

How often do you hear people talking about someone else’s misfortune and then you hear another person talking about “oh well, I’ve got enough problems on my own to deal with”. THAT’S EXACTLY IT PEOPLE! We all have enough problems to deal with because we all think about self and say that it’s not my problem.

Had you not been selfish from the beginning and made it your problem, then your brother, the cab driver, would not be dead right now. He would not be dead right now; because when he was out there crying for help in his own way…you said it wasn’t your problem. Guess what…he made it your problem. We have to be there for one another if we plan to make it through these hard times. We have to make our hands, our bodies, and our minds readily available to our brothers and sisters. You can’t help someone only when it benefits you.

I wish the cop well, and RIP to the fallen cabbie. There were so many good things said about him…God Rest His Soul.

Doofus1
10-11-2004, 01:54 PM
5, I know it isn't easy, but Newark has to NOT cut the police budget. Suck it up and cut elsewhere. And get rid of the useless traffic cops. Put them back on patrol. NO cop should be getting paid in this town to direct traffic right now (besides the fact that they stink at it anyway).

The mayor has to use his senator position to get funds from the state. They refuse to pony up for the Arena, so hold their feet to the fire on the next budget. The budget is going to be a killer, so every democratic vote is going to count.

If I were Sharpe, I would make an appeal to the Governor for assistance of the troopers. I would at first do it under the guise of Homeland Security. Right now, 5 or 6 NPD officers are walking around in front of Pru 24 hours a day. Let the staties take that job and get those officers back on patrol. Get rid of the officers that waste time around Penn Station. Penn Station is owned by NJ Transit. Again, NPD should not be doing Homeland Security details right now for a place that has its own police force. Get them in the neighborhoods.

5Reasons
10-11-2004, 03:02 PM
This is what has always bothered me when I hear politicians talking about "change." Something like 78% of every budget is MANDATED by either the State, fed or some other law making or granting body. There are few opportunities to restructure any budget within any fiscal year to produce the kinds of change neccessary for fast-changing on the ground situations.

The problem with the city is that it pays all of the health benefits and with premiums going through the roof, it has become extremely expensive to hire new employees. When contracts expire, the city is going to have to take a long look at how it handles health coverage for city employees. In order to expand the police force and to free up money, the city is going to have to shift the health care costs over to the employees (moreso than before).

Newark DESPERATELY needs Kerry to win. First, Kerry will revive the COPS program, which will provide grants for Nwk to hire police. Second, Kerry's health plan should AT LEAST stabilize premiums. Under Bush, these companies have taken the profit load that Bush gave them and been able to gouge on premium hikes. Hopefully, he'll be able to get drug importation and other cost-controls into the health care system. However, if Bush wins, it is going to be some tough times ahead for us.

Note: Newark would also benefit through No Child Left Behind - assuming that it is full funded. (I suspect that the deficit will be too high and NCLB WON'T be fully funded.) So, don't count on it.

Good suggestion on making the state protect Prudential and freeing up those cops to do something meaningful - like protecting Dunkin Donuts.

JoefromPGH
10-11-2004, 04:48 PM
5, I know it isn't easy, but Newark has to NOT cut the police budget. Suck it up and cut elsewhere. And get rid of the useless traffic cops. Put them back on patrol. NO cop should be getting paid in this town to direct traffic right now (besides the fact that they stink at it anyway).

The mayor has to use his senator position to get funds from the state. They refuse to pony up for the Arena, so hold their feet to the fire on the next budget. The budget is going to be a killer, so every democratic vote is going to count.

If I were Sharpe, I would make an appeal to the Governor for assistance of the troopers. I would at first do it under the guise of Homeland Security. Right now, 5 or 6 NPD officers are walking around in front of Pru 24 hours a day. Let the staties take that job and get those officers back on patrol. Get rid of the officers that waste time around Penn Station. Penn Station is owned by NJ Transit. Again, NPD should not be doing Homeland Security details right now for a place that has its own police force. Get them in the neighborhoods.

All of the points and suggestions in this thread are valid and full of thought. Fighting crime and taking the streets back is the number one problem facing not just Newark but all of urban America.

Do you guys really want troopers or the guard here? Maybe, it would work as
an interim measure but the last thing this city needs is more brutality of its good and caring citizens. Otherwise,I have a couple of suggestions:

1. For those teens involved in serious crimes, make the parents more responsible. A bad parent who KNOWS that their child has a gun/in a gang and is out murdering has a responsibility, NO MATTER HOW HARD IT IS, to turn his/her child in. Otherwise, the parent becomes a conspirator. This is tricky though....there are many many single parents who just cannot keep up with everything their children do. Most of the time these parents truly DO care about their children. How can you send these people to jail? I think the litmus test is KNOWLEDGE...a parent that knows his or her child has committed a serious crime cannot legally ignore it.
2. Does Newark still have an auxillary police force? Yes or know, an auxillary force can fortifiy the regular force. The auxillary force can do the traffic and other crap, allowing the real force more time to patrol and WALK the most crime-riden areas.
3. If Newark allows their police officers to live outside Newark, that should end (although those already on the force should be grandfathered). Steadilly building a force of residents should only help to reduce corruption. Most of the corrupt officers likeky leave the city after work and couldn't care less about the city...it is just a job to them.

Again, bringing in troopers or the guard might help but that should only be thought of as a bandaid. The last thing Newark needs to be is a police state but maybe in the short run it may provide relief. God knows, the people need to be able to live without fear all the time.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
:D

ProSouth
10-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Joe I agree with you, parents must be help responsible. I say make parents report children who they cannot control. If a child under 16 is not in the house by 10 pm the parent must report it to the police. If they don't and the child is caught on the street the parent is charged with a crime which carries a mandatory sentence of 30 days for the first offense and keep adding 30 days to the sentence up to 180 days. After 180 days make it a mandatory 3 year sentence as an habitual offender.

The same goes for children who miss a day of school without reason. This time make the school report the absence to the police.

Also create a 2 strike policy for gang members. 2 gang related crime convictions and the get a mandatory 10 year sentence with a mandatory 100% of the time served. No parole.

Make the parent and the thug responsible.

JoefromPGH
10-11-2004, 09:15 PM
There are lots of good ideas here but the larger question now looms - Does the city have the right people in city hall? Does the mayor, city council and police department listen and act? I'm sure they know how bad the crime is. What are THEY doing to solve the problems (or has the arena been their only priority these days)?

Is Booker the man to lead the city or is there someone else, not yet identified, who will back step a couple of feet and take care of the most significant issues in the city BEFORE trying to turn the city into a model city. There won't ever be a model city unless people can walk the streets and the children can get a good education. I love this city and every day that I hear of murders and other major crime, it just eats at me because it doesn't have to be that way.

It just seems to me that the best ideas are coming from the people and not from the government. I know money talks but there is a lot that can be done with existing resources.

5Reasons
10-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Yesterday a police cruiser was rammed by a stolen car. It appears the criminal are out to INTIMIDATE the police. We have got to get control of this situation in a hurry.

The council, the administration, the State and the feds have GOT to get their act together. Brothers in the hood don't have to worry about getting bumped off by Al Qaedal; we have to worry about the creeps in our own neighborhood. Something has got to give.

I'm being VERY serious. If Newark doesn't get its act together, it is going to lose the remaining middle class families.

jmax
10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
I hope Doofus will back me up on this-- the lawyers at the Essex County Prosecutor's Office are grossly underpaid. What they make per month after taxes is about what I have to pay in loans. It becomes very diffiucult to keep people that way.

As for getting these people off the streets-- one way would be to add people to the warrants squad. Some communities are doiing this to great success. People who steal cars also have warrants out for things like child support, unpaid parking tickets, etc. Getting them on other stuff will prevent them from committing even greater crime.

But most of all-- this country has to get away from only attacking the supply-side of the drug problem. It hasn't worked for 30 years-- and it is not going to work. How many of these shootings at least tangentially involved drugs? I would be all of them.

Doofus1
10-12-2004, 11:29 AM
I hope Doofus will back me up on this-- the lawyers at the Essex County Prosecutor's Office are grossly underpaid. What they make per month after taxes is about what I have to pay in loans. It becomes very diffiucult to keep people that way.

No kidding. They went at least 5 or 6 years without a raise. I believe they are or are close to being the lowest paid prosecutors in the state. There is a raise this year I believe.

Too late, in some regards. A lot of the experienced talent went private, to other prosecutor offices or the AG's office. It is going to take years of real raises to attract enough talent to rebuild that office.

5Reasons
10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
My goodness, now I'm supposed to feel sorry for lawyers? Give me a break. If the lawyers were any good, they would have gotten eaten up by the private sector. The reason they work at the EC office is because they graduated in the bottom half of their class.

It's so difficult to survive on only $70,000 per year. Give me a friggin break.

Doofus1
10-12-2004, 12:45 PM
5, the real trial lawyers in the EP office don't make anything close to $70k. The political buddies may make that much, but not the average schlub. And, believe it or not, there are guys that love criminal law, being a prosecutor, trying cases in front of juries and don't mind the fact that they make less than their private counterparts. What they don't like is being way underpaid despite a post-graduate degree, and I can't say I blame them. Most of the good ones went to other prosecutors' offices, get to keep on doing what they loved and now have a decent salary and those prosecutors' offices are doing much better than Essex.

black4rob2
10-12-2004, 12:49 PM
But most of all-- this country has to get away from only attacking the supply-side of the drug problem. It hasn't worked for 30 years-- and it is not going to work. How many of these shootings at least tangentially involved drugs? I would be all of them.

I believe this country should continue to attack the supply side of the drug problem, but just redirect their focus to the bigger issue. On so many different fronts it seems as though the word drugs is synonymous with Black People or the ghetto, but what they fail to realize or better what they fail to mention in their news reports or their department meetings is that these ghetto's, inner cities get their supply of drugs, guns, from places that are way bigger than the ghetto.
These officials need to target the real suppliers of these drugs. If anything the local drug dealer around the way is part of the demand side of things. They are only looking to buy a limited amount to flip right away, and they all do so looking for the best price that will maximize their profit.

As far as the other spectrum is concern with respect to the demand side of things; we really have to focus on EDUCATION. Education is definitely one of the best preventitive measures that can be taken. If education does not work before hand...then reeducate or educate in a diffrent way that's going to be effective.

I love Prosouth;s idea of holding parents repsonsible for their children. We, as a society, have to take a more active role in these kids lives. Being there for your children is not only about making a lot of money and making sure they are fed, but giving them the love and attention that they need from you as their provider, as their example, and as their counselor. We have to be their to guide these young minds and show them the right way and the wrong of doing things. Let them know that it is okay to make mistakes, but just as long as you learn and grow from it and try not to make those same mistakes again....

I truly believe that before a kid decides to join a gang or decides to sell drugs; that kid went through a period when he was crying for help but no was there to listen and provide that help.
We can't only be there to discipline, we have to listen to them as well...They have problems just like we do...

jmax
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm not asking you to feel sorry for lawyers-- what I'm asking you to feel sorry for is the quality of justice in Essex County.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the dedicated lawyers who have stuck it out there-- some who did graduate high in their class. However-- they're underpaid in comparrison to other prosecutor's offices and certainly compared to the private sector.

Why should a prosecutor in Morris County get paid more than one in Essex? It makes no sense to me.

By the way-- the starting salary for prosecutors in Essex is between $35,000 and $40,000. With a law degree-- that stinks.

ProSouth
10-12-2004, 12:57 PM
The APs just got a raise. But honestly that ain't gonna help. They've been crying about a raise since Herb Tate was Prosecutor and saying that the lack of good lawyers is the reason they have been losing cases. That's buuuullllllllsssshhhhhh******.

The entire system at the ECPO is in total disarray and has been for a very long time. It's not just the APs. It's also the investigators as well. Johnny Cochran could'nt win the most simple cases without good investigators collecting and preparing the evidence. Most of these 1/2 rate butt kissers trying to keep their non-civil service, "At Will" jobs are too busy brown nosing the next Prosecutor or Chief to do good investigating. Most of them got their job because they knew somebody, not because they were experienced or good. Many investigators are connected politically to someone like Hank Martinez's brother, and many, many former Newark cops, ect.

Paying the APs more money is a start but getting qualified, results oriented investigators is better.

ProSouth
10-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Like I always say....No kid comes out of the womb a criminal. He's bred that way.

myhomenewark
10-12-2004, 04:39 PM
That's ridiculously low! Man, it's a wonder they fill those positions at all!

jmax
10-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Well put-- I agree that we still need to attack the supply side as well. But you're right-- education is the key-- with a big side helping of parental responsibility.