citing a policy instituted "for the good of the country and its citizenry."
That country was the People's Republic of China, and the policy was
communism.

-- Greg Liu, Union

Mulberry Street Coalition
09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Harming the economy
Friday, September 16, 2005
On behalf of the many small- business owners in New Jersey operating in the industrial sector, I thank you for highlighting the problems we face with the misuse of eminent domain ("Eminent economics," Aug. 28).
As you note, Fairview is attempting to wipe out more than 1,000 good-paying industrial, blue- collar jobs and replace them with service-sector jobs. Officials who sanction such redevelopment are apparently oblivious to the economic consequences of wiping out jobs that pay $60,000 a year with benefits and replacing them with those paying $7 an hour with no benefits.
Eminent domain is a weapon that penalizes people like me who have invested millions of dollars in businesses that pay a good share of property taxes. The only beneficiaries of eminent domain abuse are politically connected developers who replicate the same self- serving projects over and over again: mixed-use housing, hotel and office space developments. Not only do these developments provide few, if any, good-paying jobs, but they require government services that drive up taxes.
The next governor must declare a moratorium on eminent domain until a study can be done on its economic impacts.
-- Ron Stagnari, Fairview