PDA

View Full Version : Why are news annoucers so friggin afraid to discuss the race of a crime suspect?

5Reasons
10-12-2004, 03:17 PM
The friggin political correctness in this matter is more vexing than the original description. Here's what kills me: when the crime suspect is white, they say, "be on the look out for a white male....". But, when the suspect is black, they'll say something like "the man was wearing baggy jeans and a dark sweat shirt..." WTF? Jesus Christ already - if a black person did the crime and it is was important enough to put it on the newscast then please give the public ALL OF THE INFORMATION. By NOT mentioning blacks, everyone ASSUMES it anyway and it makes it worse.

black4rob2
10-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I've found it to be the other way. If its a white suspect;they will say a male about 5'10, 180lbs, w/black hair. But if it's a black suspect, they will describe it just as you said 5, but this time including his race as being black or hispanic male.

But the reason why they are afraid to discuss race, is because the minute they say something that even resembles racism, they are immediately labeled as being biased or racist. That is all thank to the mentally that the majority of society has as far as being offended about every little thing, and then taking them to court to get a quick pay day.

Sorry 5...But that's the American Way. Take them to Court!!!!

myhomenewark
10-12-2004, 04:27 PM
They used to do it all the time and many people thought it was wrong because of the paucity of other images of black people, especially black men.

After all, what is local tv news? Is it more newsworthy that some rich fat-cat embezzled the pension money (boring) or that you got great pictures of an urban street crime? There is more likely someone black doing the street crime rather than the pension money embezzlement.

News departments are basically profit centers which, although informative, are flawed because it's all about titillating their audiences with the best pictures. That's the main reason why our current president can get away with lying in your face. These organizations are lazy and cheap (and getting lazier and cheaper). They would rather show pictures of a hot-air balloon hitting a tower in New Mexico on all the local channels as well as national casts instead of lulling their audiences to sleep--or, worst yet, sending their audience over to their "it bleed it leads" competitor--reporting and analyzing the really important events of the day.

jmax
10-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Before law school I was a television reporter... and there was always pressure in the newsroom to be overly racially sensitive. There is a loud chorus of criticism at the national level that the only images and descriptions of crime on local tv is of black suspects doing the "perp walk." Micheal Moore did a great job of showing this in Bowling for Columbine.

Quick story on this-- while in Northern Indiana I found out a Menonite/Amish town hired a black basketball coach. Not only was he the only black person employed by the school-- he was the only black person living in the entire county. It took 2 weeks and the local paper to do the story first before i was allowed to do the story-- which was, by the way, that it wasn't even an issue to the people in town. The coach told me he felt more comfortable in LaGrange, Indiana than he did in South Bend-- which has racial diversity.

5Reasons
10-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Jay,

The political correctness has gotten so annoying, it's almost as bad as before. Now, only the WORST black criminal get described on television. When you watch most newscasts, especially the major stations (7,4 and even News 12), they all follow the same pattern. If the suspect is white (or Latino), they are QUICK to announce, "the suspect was a white male, medium build about 5-10." But, when they announce the suspect and don't give ANY physical description, I KNOW it's a black person. It's gotten so bad, I would prefer we go back to the old days.

I knew as soon as they didn't give a description of the Montclair 2 that those were black kids. Most black people haven't even caught on to the new code out there.

black4rob2
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
I've found it to be the other way. If its a white suspect;they will say a male about 5'10, 180lbs, w/black hair. But if it's a black suspect, they will describe it just as you said 5, but this time including his race as being black or hispanic male.

In today's paper they discuss yet another rape that happened in Montclair, but this time giving a detail description of the assailant.

That is the reason why with the Montclair Football players, I was not sure what race they were.

Here is the article:

MONTCLAIR: An assailant wearing military fatigues and dog tags is being sought in the sexual assault of a 32-year-old Montclair woman, who was followed by a man who grabbed her by the hair and attacked her near railroad tracks, police said yesterday.

The woman was walking along Pine Street, headed toward Claremont Avenue, about 9:45 p.m. Saturday when she was followed by the man who tried to talk to her and then pressed what appeared to be a gun to her back.

He then took her to an area of bushes along the railroad tracks, where she was beaten and sexually assaulted, Deputy Police Chief Roger Terry said.

The victim somehow made her way to nearby Mountainside Hospital, where she was treated for the assault and for facial lacerations, police said.

The assailant, pictured in a composite released yesterday, was described as a medium complexioned black male, 25 to 28 years old, 5-foot-8 to 6 feet tall and weighing 190 to 200 pounds. Police said the attacker had a mustache and long sideburns.
Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call the detective bureau at (973) 744-1234.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-15-2004, 01:09 PM
You need to trim those sideburns! :D

black4rob2
10-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Didn't I tell you stop putting my business out on the streets.

I'm sure it doesn-'t help me that my Alma Mater is Montclair State University....
:eek:

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
10-15-2004, 01:27 PM
:eek: :D :eek: