PDA

View Full Version : WHY ARE PEOPLE SO FEARFUL TO COME TO NEWARK

Our_beloved_City
11-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Q: WHY ARE PEOPLE SO FEARFUL TO COME TO NEWARK? WHY IS THE CITY SO DIRTY? WHY IS THE ADMINISTRATION NOT FOCUSED?

A: THE PRIORITIES OF OUR SW COUNCILMAN AND DIRECTOR OF CON SVC...WHAT A JOKE

karimah
11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
How distasteful, especially the young lady with the black see thru stretch pants. Instead of wasting money on t shirts how about cleaning up the southward and making folks feel safe.

Our Beloved City, why you had to make me curse so early in the morning. Their priorities are definitely out of order. I bet below their feet you will see a bunch of trash and liter.

Our_beloved_City
11-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I GUESS THEY WERE WORKING "THE POLES":D

karimah
11-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I GUESS THEY WERE WORKING "THE POLES":D

That's a good one :D

counterattack
11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Please tell me this picture was taken in fun and even if it were it is not the image a candidate needs. Oscar needs to fire the fool who took this and allowed it to leak.

newarkismyhome
11-11-2008, 11:49 AM
i had to come out of lurker mode for this one!

the "goodies" are not that impressive, but the spirit of the photo is!

lmao!

Diamond
11-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Please tell me this picture was taken in fun and even if it were it is not the image a candidate needs. Oscar needs to fire the fool who took this and allowed it to leak.

Oscar is who he is and this sort of picture, campaign slogan is quite typical. Heck, he's probably the one who took the darn thing!:eek: :D I think the South Ward residents deserve better than this and I sure hope that they do not re-elect an alleged "weed" head!

Change is good! Yes we Can!

Ray Jay
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I heard that this guy is heavily into drugs. Oh well, another great choice Mayor Booker. LOL.:D

Our_beloved_City
11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
good information but start your own thread..

thisjustin
11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
These guys are so immature.. South ward and residents of Newark please do us all a favor and send them packing in 2010.

Our_beloved_City
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
GREAT POINT....

IT'S THE LEADERSHIP AND WHAT THEY CHOOSE TO SPEND THEIR TIME AND ATTENTION ON. ELECTED OFFICALS ARE ENTRUSTED TO PUT THE ELECTORATE 1ST NOT HOST A SIR MIX ALOT "PUT-IT-ON-THE-GLASS" VIDEO ON A BARACK OBAMA HEADQUARTER DURING ELECTION DAY. SELF INTEREST AND IMMATURE BEHAVIOR HIGHLIGHT'S THERE ACTIONS, INTENTIONS AND THE PICTS POSTED. THEY ARE SO CONSUMED WITH OTHER "STUFF" OUR CITY LOOKS UNFOCUSED AND SILLY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41APzy5kqBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41APzy5kqBU

LastCubanStanding
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Because except for some limited areas, it is a dirty and ugly City.

5Reasons
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Dear Historic Figure OJ II:

This is 5Reasons from the Department of Idiotic Statements and Unprofessional Behavior located on the 6th floor of City Hall. Please, I beg you, do not try to think independently. It is imperative that you clear any and all messages - this includes photo campaigns, etc - through me. I am here to stop you from putting your foot in your mouth, putting your head in your a$$, stepping in ****, you get the picture. My service to the city is that I can help you find appropriate ways to communicate a rationale for re-electing you. This picture, however, means that my staff will now have to work overtime cleaning up another mess. Thank you in advance for modifying your behavior.

Sincerely,

5Reasons, M.A.
Director - Department of Idiotic Statements & Unprofessional Behavior

Off topic: The first time Cory has to defend this clown in 2010, he will look like another politician. You can't seriously tell me you are interested in Newark progress by continuing to support and defend this guy.

bobobra
11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Get some good looking girls to model. BTW has anyone noticed that terance bankston is never at city hall. Getting paid big city dollars to hangout with his homeboy and drive around town in a big city truck....only in Newark!!!

DocMarv
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
OBC you just answered your own question with that pic. Black folks acting stupid. That's why they are fearful. You need to get rid of these ignorant hyenas(that includes you Oscar) and the fear would subside. Truth hurts.

zengeist
11-12-2008, 12:33 AM
It's not like we had some great choices in the south ward.

thisjustin
11-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Q: WHY ARE PEOPLE SO FEARFUL TO COME TO NEWARK? WHY IS THE CITY SO DIRTY? WHY IS THE ADMINISTRATION NOT FOCUSED?

A: THE PRIORITIES OF OUR SW COUNCILMAN AND DIRECTOR OF CON SVC...WHAT A JOKE

On a serious note this is bad. The councilman is young and this was most likely his attempt to insert his youth in politics. The problem here is not the shirt. Good intentions bad execution has been his problem from day one.The problem is the pose of these women. For the sake of argument I will say they wanted to show the back of the shirt. Not the thong of the woman in the black pants..:) Does anyone know what was on the front? And unfortunately this photo got in the wrong hands. Oscar Sr. must be disappointed. He has worked so hard and these two are throwing it away. I want to give Oscar a chance as councilman and was looking for a reason to vote for him in 2010 but this is making it hard. Get them mature guidance.

sjsweetheart
11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
On a serious note this is bad.

Oscar Sr. must be disappointed. He has worked so hard and these two are throwing it away.

Get them mature guidance.

:cool:

Poet
11-12-2008, 10:26 AM
It's disrespectful and disgraceful that this picture was taken and distributed. We can't put all of this on OJ. Bankston's name is on the shirt too. They have both sent notice to the women of Newark that they do not deserve to be treated with respect. And if this is the type of "campaign" he conducts, they will both certainly be a coon show if (re-)elected.

Doesn't matter. OJ Jr. is mud in the south and Bankston would get trounced if he ever decided to run at-large. So, all we'll be left with in 2010 is this really tasteless picture.

karimah
11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Hopefully by not electing these individuals into office in 2010 will send a message loud and clear. Change is in the air.

The last time I saw Terrance Bankston he was at the community meeting at Central High School. Again these folks want to be elected but they don't want to walk the blocks of the community or talk to the residents of the community to find out what changes are needed or better yet get to know their residents.

I myself have meet hundreds of people in the past two years just by attending meetings and being apart of what is happening in the community, if they did this more than likely people would not have to assume the worst about them.

Kisha, SJSweetheart, has the southward improved within the last 6 months. Kisha how is your block coming along ?

Have any of you folks sent letters or call to complain about these ineffective council people and if so what was the outcome and who did you complain to.

Miss Tam-Tam
11-12-2008, 11:31 AM
It's disrespectful and disgraceful that this picture was taken and distributed. We can't put all of this on OJ. Bankston's name is on the shirt too. They have both sent notice to the women of Newark that they do not deserve to be treated with respect. And if this is the type of "campaign" he conducts, they will both certainly be a coon show if (re-)elected.

Agreed. It demonstrates a very disparaging and sexist attitude towards women and a general assumption about our youth in Newark. The mindset of the architects of this garbage is revealed. What if President-elect Obama's campaign had "Obama Girls?" Bankston and James didn't get the memo: We are better than this.

5Reasons
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Here's how you know they're amatuers. Instead of letting a thread like this stick around for a few days and pick up steam, they could have easily sent one of their surrogates on this forum and made any number of statements to take the steam out of it. They could have said that they had no knowledge of this. :rolleyes: They could have said that someone zealous on my staff took the picture and that you disavow them. Heck, they could have even said it was an honest mistake and that they're sorry. ;) But no, they, like the Incompetent Council before them, lay low and hopes it all blows over. Hint hotshots: It NEVER blows over. These turkeys actually think putting on a Lil' Wayne video is going to get them elected and re-elected. Talk about being completely tone deaf?

We are in serious times, my friends and Newark needs serious leaders and leadership. There's no time for smiling or joking. We need actions and solutions. This picture reinforces every negative stereotype that everyone already has about them. Truly, truly sad.

This has all the makings of a Skrilla Video for 2010.

sjsweetheart
11-12-2008, 12:07 PM
SJSweetheart, has the southward improved within the last 6 months.

...are you seriously asking that question. With all the killings and crime that is in the south ward it has led me and mine to say we had enough.

yep, that's right, my husband and I have been looking in south jersey at property within the last 2 months.

We will continue to own our homes in the south ward however, we can't continue to let my mother and our son live in those conditions; my mother has to limit her walks in her own neighborhood because of the unexpected crime that has manifested over the years. She's kept like a prisoners in her golden years; I have a very active caring mother that likes to visit the sick and shut in; keeping her in is like taming a tiger. Her favorite saying is God will prevail. I too believe, but these hoodlum's are traitorous.

And none of the council people care anymore, all their concerns are "when and if James was in office" sceneries to all these situations that are happening and you know what, I had it with them.

I will continue to support where I can and through my church and my other organizations, but right now, my focus is on my mother's health and well being.

Still love Newark, but the political cesspool has to STOP!

PS Cory, you tried but that "Sharpe" era is still blooming even in his absence! Get out while you can.....:cool:

RACEMATTERS
11-12-2008, 04:12 PM
On a serious note this is bad. The councilman is young and this was most likely his attempt to insert his youth in politics. The problem here is not the shirt. Good intentions bad execution has been his problem from day one.The problem is the pose of these women. For the sake of argument I will say they wanted to show the back of the shirt. Not the thong of the woman in the black pants..:) Does anyone know what was on the front? And unfortunately this photo got in the wrong hands. Oscar Sr. must be disappointed. He has worked so hard and these two are throwing it away. I want to give Oscar a chance as councilman and was looking for a reason to vote for him in 2010 but this is making it hard. Get them mature guidance.

I actually had to laugh at this photo when i first saw it, I am sure they were fooling around but I do agree it was distasteful and OJ or bankston shouldve come on or a surrogate to denounce the photo saying it was not endorsed by their campaign.

Did anyone notice the woman on the far left dozing off, i know the sw have addicts working the polls but geesh, u dont want them at your HQ taking pics.

For future laughs, get some better looking woman who are slimmer and not a Jenny Craig shot with thongs showing. I can see Ras using this in his negative lit now.

Doofus1
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Obviously, no one from OJ's office knows how to use the internet.

karimah
11-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Obviously, no one from OJ's office knows how to use the internet.

:D

Make Newark Clean
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
A-hem, the see-thru garment is definitely a mistake. Other than that, all I'm seeing are female Oscar James/Terrance Bankston supporters mugging for a camera on a festive, Obama election day. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the stretchpants-wearing young lady isn't mortified that her picture is being circulated for consideration on Newarkspeaks. Even if she's not, so what. Is she really revealing that much?

What in this picture qualifies this young black womanhood for "the pole"? IMHO, overly judgmental statements are a serious, but predictable issue in our community. No one here claims to know the young sisterhood in the picture. Suggesting that showing the back of their t-shirt belongs them to a strip club is over the top.

I understand that an ineffective councilperson is frustrating. But what has that got to do with these beautiful human beings? After all, Oscar James ain't the first ineffective leader to dole out trinkets in lieu of good governance. Anybody need an extra turkey?

Peace

^

karimah
11-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Before I respond and someone takes your last turkey, Can I have it.

Make, relax, it was a joke. No it's not right to call names but look what this young lady is showing. Never mind someone took a picture of her, she wore this in the streets all day long. I would not necessarily say she's a stripper, however it's very distasteful especially if she is a mother.

Make Newark Clean
11-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Make, relax

OK K; had my say! :cool:

brotherderek
11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
all been said....We just need a different administration and course for Newark..

Hots in the Ironbound
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Bad taste, yes. But what if the girls were hotter? Or, say, had a more elegant look? Or, remember those Robert Palmer videos? What if the women were in that league?

Our_beloved_City
11-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Inorder for our city to move forward, THEY have to go. Mature, focused leadership is missing....

(How did this guy become councilman? What has Terri (AKA MC SKRILLA) done to run for ANY ELECTED OFFICE?)

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
11-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Calm down!

Terrance "Get Skrilla" Bankston endorsed South Ward councilman Oscar James!

That and those T-Shirts ALONE should be enough to qualify him for a trouncing next election.

P.S. Terrance, riding around all day on city time in a city vehicle won't get you in either. I have "Get Skrilla" t-shirts all ready to go with pics from your website you deleted.

Doofus1
11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
That and those T-Shirts ALONE should be enough to qualify him for a trouncing next election.

So don't blow it this time, John.

Poet
11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Make, I'm surprised by your response. You think that photo is actually acceptable? All they needed was to be posing against a tricked out Hummer, and it would epitomize negro stereotyping.

C'mon. You talk all this stuff about the miseducation of and assault on black men. You should also see the problem with two black men using the sexual identities of these women to promote their own agenda (embarrassing at least one in the process).

Disappointing.

Make Newark Clean
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Make, I'm surprised by your response. You think that photo is actually acceptable? All they needed was to be posing against a tricked out Hummer, and it would epitomize negro stereotyping.

C'mon. You talk all this stuff about the miseducation of and assault on black men. You should also see the problem with two black men using the sexual identities of these women to promote their own agenda (embarrassing at least one in the process).

Disappointing.

All I see are young girls in political t-shirts clowing around on Obama Day. This is my honest assessment based on what I see. What qualifies them for the "pole," as someone said here? I've yet to appreciate that. The picture, at best, is mildly suggestive in a "teen-agey" way, including those unfortunate stretchpants.

If there's something more nefarious going on in their behavior, I'm missing it. Besides my opinion on what's portrayed, knowing politics in the City of Newark, who's handiwork is this anyway? Did someone choreograph these young ladies to impugn the councilman?

I think it's more important to stick to issues of ineffective governance rather than searching for insights that ain't necessarily so. If the man is that bad of a councilman, that should be enough. :)

Make Newark Clean
11-13-2008, 03:50 PM
The main pic is gone. The Administrator might explain why. Don't blame me; I didn't complain, although I support the move.

^

Miss Tam-Tam
11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
The main pic is gone. The Administrator might explain why. Don't blame me; I didn't complain, although I support the move.

My guess is that a lurker ("Skrilla?") requested that it be removed.

http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/concert.gif
Skrilla Still Rockin' NewarkSpeaks

chad1
11-13-2008, 06:16 PM
A-hem, the see-thru garment is definitely a mistake. Other than that, all I'm seeing are female Oscar James/Terrance Bankston supporters mugging for a camera on a festive, Obama election day. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the stretchpants-wearing young lady isn't mortified that her picture is being circulated for consideration on Newarkspeaks. Even if she's not, so what. Is she really revealing that much?

What in this picture qualifies this young black womanhood for "the pole"? IMHO, overly judgmental statements are a serious, but predictable issue in our community. No one here claims to know the young sisterhood in the picture. Suggesting that showing the back of their t-shirt belongs them to a strip club is over the top.

I understand that an ineffective councilperson is frustrating. But what has that got to do with these beautiful human beings? After all, Oscar James ain't the first ineffective leader to dole out trinkets in lieu of good governance. Anybody need an extra turkey?

Peace

^

Make--

I have to agree with you on this one.... People give me a damb break. Once again to suggest that these women need a pole is Sexist.

These young ladies obviously are portraying a so called "Young cute look" for the cameras. Their attire is not sleezy, nor was it provacative.

The question is who are they trying to appeal to? Obviously, its not our ol @ss. So get off of it. If the picture turned you on well than just deal with it but don't denigrate these ladies for your lack of>>>>>. I have long felt that sexual suppresion has been one of the greatest issues facing people in this society. As a result so much nonsense exists.

Here's some food for thought. Have you had some lately?

chad1
11-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Calm down!

Terrance "Get Skrilla" Bankston endorsed South Ward councilman Oscar James!

P.S. Terrance, riding around all day on city time in a city vehicle won't get you in either. I have "Get Skrilla" t-shirts all ready to go with pics from your website you deleted.

Tell me one thing. When Big Poppa was riding with his fufu hat and wife beater t-shirt on a bike through city hall, what the hell was that??

thisjustin
11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
1st ammendment

LastCubanStanding
11-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Tell me one thing. When Big Poppa was riding with his fufu hat and wife beater t-shirt on a bike through city hall, what the hell was that??

LOL...I just about fell out of my chair.

OneEyeOpen
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL...I just about fell out of my chair.

Did anyone else notice that it was a Newark Police Department Bike? Is that what those bikes are for, so that politicians can pull stunts that embarrass the entire city?

Our_beloved_City
11-13-2008, 10:23 PM
LET ME RECAP:

I posted a picture of TB & OJ the 2nd using women in a very suggestive and sexist way to promote there campaign almost 2 yrs from now. Newark Speaks removes the picture, THE INTENT IS TO CONFUSE THE READERS AS TO WHY THIS THREAD WAS CREATED. As a result, this site is a farse....! It controls the public convo and tries to confuse informed readers with collusion. Today, Newark Speak's creditiblity and objectivity died. Why...a very distasteful picture was posted on this blogging site that showed the poor decisions and priorities of two members of the Booker Team.

Restore your creditiblity and put the pict as it was originally posted.

I'm soooo disappointed...and your site was further compromised because a picture of our former Mayor was posted to further create confusion and not address the appropriate actions of our currect elected officials and staff.

This is sad..This reminds of an altered joke from Coming to America...EVERY TIME WE ARE CRITICAL OF THE BOOKER ADMINSTRATION AND CURRENT LEADERSHIP, THEY BRING UP SHARPE, THAT'S WHAT "THEY" DO!!!

In addition, a complete white out and alteration does not change the facts... A tasteless and sexist picture was used to promote 2 unqualified, immature ppl for elected office. Chad 1 and others can "shrill" but they expose themselve as hypocrits and inconsistent. Instead of solving real issues in Newark and Govt, the administration with the support of Newark Speaks and others (aka The Star Ledger and the MIA Joan Whitlow) prop up these phony, self-centered individuals.....

Bad day for Newark Speaks...bad day for 1st Amendment rights...bad day for ppl having the right to disagree with government....bad day for little ppl on a public blogging site having the right to say, OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS & STAFF ARE WRONG & UNFOCUSED....IT'S WRONG FOR GOVT OFFICIALS TO USE THEIR INFLUENCE TO CONTROL WHAT PPL SAY, READ AND THEREFORE THINK!

5Reasons
11-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Did I miss something? Did the administrator try to remove THAT picture? What's up with that? The picture is fair game to be debated by all. Dude, just have Skrilla or OJII come on this forum and speak up. If they say,"hey, one of the young ladies don't want to be put on blast (the thong one, I hope) and can you please stop it", I believe that the picture would stop being posted. This is an old forum and the most experienced and responsible posters have responded to this thread. Skrilla and OJ II can then just say, "Hey, if you want to critisize me for taking this picture, that's fine. Leave them out." All they have to do is this and the issue goes away and the THREAD DIES. Removing the picture only makes it seems as though you are responding to heat from these guys. Given this crap, I say they deserve a little.

Look, the debate here IS NOT about the ladies. The debate here is about a person that has lost ALL CONFIDENCE with constitutents in the South Ward. And to think that someone that couldn't survive a no confidence vote is campaigning in this fashion is simply INFLAMING others...mostly a knowledgable crowd.

I suggest that you let the picture ride and get the baffoons that brought this forward on this forum. By removing it without a rationale, you are losing credibility. Don't do it.

NEWARK SPEAKS
11-14-2008, 07:58 AM
LET ME RECAP:

I posted a picture of TB & OJ the 2nd using women in a very suggestive and sexist way to promote there campaign almost 2 yrs from now. Newark Speaks removes the picture, THE INTENT IS TO CONFUSE THE READERS AS TO WHY THIS THREAD WAS CREATED. As a result, this site is a farse....! It controls the public convo and tries to confuse informed readers with collusion. Today, Newark Speak's creditiblity and objectivity died. Why...a very distasteful picture was posted on this blogging site that showed the poor decisions and priorities of two members of the Booker Team.

Restore your creditiblity and put the pict as it was originally posted.

I'm soooo disappointed...and your site was further compromised because a picture of our former Mayor was posted to further create confusion and not address the appropriate actions of our currect elected officials and staff.

This is sad..This reminds of an altered joke from Coming to America...EVERY TIME WE ARE CRITICAL OF THE BOOKER ADMINSTRATION AND CURRENT LEADERSHIP, THEY BRING UP SHARPE, THAT'S WHAT "THEY" DO!!!

In addition, a complete white out and alteration does not change the facts... A tasteless and sexist picture was used to promote 2 unqualified, immature ppl for elected office. Chad 1 and others can "shrill" but they expose themselve as hypocrits and inconsistent. Instead of solving real issues in Newark and Govt, the administration with the support of Newark Speaks and others (aka The Star Ledger and the MIA Joan Whitlow) prop up these phony, self-centered individuals.....

Bad day for Newark Speaks...bad day for 1st Amendment rights...bad day for ppl having the right to disagree with government....bad day for little ppl on a public blogging site having the right to say, OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS & STAFF ARE WRONG & UNFOCUSED....IT'S WRONG FOR GOVT OFFICIALS TO USE THEIR INFLUENCE TO CONTROL WHAT PPL SAY, READ AND THEREFORE THINK!Its unfortunate that instead of asking why the picture was removed you chose to assume why the picture was removed. Decisions made in one direction or another seem to create fictional stories surrounding the decision and conspiracy theories to support them.

Newark Speaks is not now nor will it ever be a conspirator with or tool of any political administration or politician. If you have any concrete, truthful evidence to the contrary I beg you please post it here for the world to see. If you cannot and if you have an ounce of integrity, I'll expect your apology to be as vehement as your condemnation.

Newark Speaks operates by policy, not the whims and 1st Amendment interpretations of "Our beloved city". Newark Speaks was contacted via email from two separate individuals in the photograph stating that the photo was posted without their consent. One even claimed to own the photo/image. Without getting into specific details we agreed to remove the photo for 24 hours pending further verification and investigation of the origin of the photo. Nothing political involved.

If the individuals who sent the emails were asked or coerced to do so by anyone else they never mentioned that in their respective emails.

So Newark Speak's "intent" was not to "controls the public convo" by trying "to confuse informed readers with collusion". Our intent was to honor a request by the possible owner of the image not to use it on Newark Speaks. That request was temporarily granted until we received further information. Again, nothing political involved.

I would appreciate it if before you start shouting political favoritism that you simply ask why something was done. A simple email or PM would have sufficed. We still may not agree but at least you would know the truth instead of making up fiction that (according to your reaction) caters to your own obvious personal, political agenda.

Thanks,

Administrator

NEWARK SPEAKS
11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Did I miss something? Did the administrator try to remove THAT picture? What's up with that? The picture is fair game to be debated by all. Dude, just have Skrilla or OJII come on this forum and speak up. If they say,"hey, one of the young ladies don't want to be put on blast (the thong one, I hope) and can you please stop it", I believe that the picture would stop being posted. This is an old forum and the most experienced and responsible posters have responded to this thread. Skrilla and OJ II can then just say, "Hey, if you want to critisize me for taking this picture, that's fine. Leave them out." All they have to do is this and the issue goes away and the THREAD DIES. Removing the picture only makes it seems as though you are responding to heat from these guys. Given this crap, I say they deserve a little.

Look, the debate here IS NOT about the ladies. The debate here is about a person that has lost ALL CONFIDENCE with constitutents in the South Ward. And to think that someone that couldn't survive a no confidence vote is campaigning in this fashion is simply INFLAMING others...mostly a knowledgable crowd.

I suggest that you let the picture ride and get the baffoons that brought this forward on this forum. By removing it without a rationale, you are losing credibility. Don't do it.Good Post. I can't agree with you more. There should be debate regarding the picture for whatever reason the picture was posted. This is the purpose of Newark Speaks.

In addition, I would encourage and welcome people to post more controversial photos and videos of this kind on the forum.

Doofus1
11-14-2008, 10:34 AM
In addition, I would encourage and welcome people to post more controversial photos and videos of this kind on the forum.

NOOOOO!!!!!! No more John James in one-piece, baby-blue, leather biker outfits. :D

Our_beloved_City
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Dear Adminstrator,

I appreciate the response but I disagree with your actions and obvious approach to shift the argument.

You took an action that creates the perception of collusion. I, along with several others on this site, said it was wrong and drew conclusions as to why. I respect the decisions you often make but don't have to agree. You monitor the site as well as make decisions to protect your brand by encouraging debate. However, when you make an authoritarian decision to remove a controversial picture from the public domain without sharing WHY...WE are left to "assume" you have a personal and professional agenda to control the conversation and debate. On any blogging site, when information is withheld, we don't call that "transperancy" its called collusion...aka conspiracy! In addition, bloggers often time post opinions based on facts provided and use the forum to share their sincere thoughts. So my integrity is not based on some "corner" you are trying to place me in...it's based YOUR ADMINSTRATIVE ACTIONS WITHOUT REASON.

GOING FORWARD, please be consistent! Are you asking all bloggers to provide you with written notification to have pictures posted? Also, are you, THE ADMINSTRATOR, actively seeking clearence from every individual to seek authorization? If not, why?

A: Conventiently, inconsistent!

Historically, OUR people have witnessed years of government and private business working together to deny rights inorder to control debate and actions taken, ie the JIM CROW, BLACK CODES, PROP 209, etc. To censure this picture suggests...."I don't want my site to be used and blamed for making TB & OJII look bad and unelectable!" If it doesn't, what conclusions would you draw?

To suggest I'm bias is to suggest YOU are objective and fair. As an original member, YOUR site ran advertisements for KARIM ARNOLD for SW Council. Is that objectivity?

Admistrator, allow the public to debate what they see....not what's denied to them. I ask you to be more consistent and allow the public the right to know why particular decisions are made...once they are made, not when challenged!

karimah
11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Good Morning Adminstrator,

Why couldn't you just post to us the reasons why the picture was being removed before someone posted their frustration or assumptions of why they think the picture was removed.

I honestly can't see someone stealing the same camera that took that pictures to illegally post it on Newark speaks. Whoever took the picture thought it was funny or cute and passed the pictures around to others , just as some on here suggested. The picture didnt get in the wrong persons hand, what got this picture removed was the comments that some of us posted about the individuals in the pictures and the folks who was behind the picture taking idea in the first place.

Since they are reading this. Ladies, next time you decide to take a picture make sure it's in good taste and for a good cause. What's that song " put your clothes back on" to the other young lady who thought it was attractive to wear see thru pants on a regular picture day(not).

Folks of the South Ward, I really hope your eyes are opened and that in 2010 these will not be the same people you want to represent you. Terrence I never really looked at you as being immature, I just thought that perhaps you needed a little more exposure, but this type of exposure was not what I was thinking about. Oscar I use to defend and take up for you because I use to attend the same meetings you attended and I loved the way you spoke and i appreciated how you cared about your community.

Best believe my family members that live in the South Ward will know who not to vote for in 2010.

chad1
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Why are people so afraid to come to Newark?

Let me tell you why....... This idiotic post is a perfect example of why they won't step foot in Newark....... Yes, there are many leaders both old and new in this town who take up nothing but space and amount to nothing as it pertains to public service.

But at the end of the day, the onus is on you the Citizen, to get out and enact change. Post on what is or isn't happening and call on for support to make the needed changes. Post on Promises made to the people that have been taken back. Post on the waste in government and call for change....

Depicting this picture as some evidence of some scandalous act within government is weak and silly at best.

I know you can't get it because your frustrated mind won't let you but your frustratio is misguided.......

Keep in mind these young women are not elected officials nor are they standing next to an elected official.

If you gonna try to blow my mind more than McGreevy and Co. you gotta come at me with something better.

Our_beloved_City
11-14-2008, 11:07 AM
If the elected were doing their job, then the post would have a been overlooked and considered silly. For instance, a Council got drunk and pist on ppl in DC...he got love from his constituents who defended him. However, when you have a councilman and Director more concered with being re-elected, the electorate feel betrayed and marginalized because our representatives are unfocused and misguided. Chad, sweety, the young ladies represents more of who they are and their lack of progressive actions to improve our city. They like to party, rap and objectify BLACK WOMEN and there behinds...That's not sound leadership, that's young men acting like they don't represent the city or the direction we SHOULD be headed in. The South is filthier and more unstable because of their lack of focus to enact strong policy and provide governance to improve out beloved city. You don't have to shrill for them...they understand, criticism and expectations comes with the job.....

chad1
11-14-2008, 11:26 AM
OBC--

My friend, you gotta keep yourself together. You can't fall apart now, because the worse isn't here yet. You can't come here and fool this ole man, you see I was already here when you were just semen swimming in your daddy's big n>>s. Don't come here and talk about misogyny, hypocrisy, thievery, filth in Newark that you and your beloved lovers of this great city have sat back and perpetuated for years.

You got to be kidding me right?

Our_beloved_City
11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
You wasted a post....If I sat back, WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING FILTH? Please, use this opportunity to make better decisions for our beloved city...Please, improve the convo...your colorful commentary didn't add anything new...

karimah
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Good Morning All,

I just had a nice chat with Terrance Bankston and please don't hold your breathe because Terrance has stated he will not be responding to this post, It's real work to be done. He did want to state that He and Oscar has nothing to do with this picture being posted(Thanks for clearing my head with thoughts) that it was the work of someone who received the picture. A few of the young ladies got wind of it and responded to the Adminstrator and action had to be taken.

I do want to apologize to you Terrance because yes I was suppose to contact you if I had a problem with anything that I felt was inappropriate and I did not, however, as I stated to you , I felt like you should have posted that you had nothing to do with this. As you made it clear to me, your not going to always defend rumors or filth that hits Newark Speaks so on that one we decided that it's ok to disagree on that issue. As I stated we look for our leaders to be perfect and away from things that will tarnish your image and that's without saying that people do things spitefully or without knowledge that this could harm you. Although you personally know these young ladies and you know their intent was nothing sexual or sleezy or degrading, you have to be mindful that a picture is worth a thousands words.

Again I hope I will have a chance to work with you or your staff in the near future on Issues regarding NEWARK as it's RISES.

Our_beloved_City
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I get it, the South is filthy, people feel afraid and the question remains... WHAT WORK HAVE THEY DONE? Karimah, your outreach was appreciated, but a typical answer by a typical politcian...Let me remind you, the shirts were designed by them, the ladies work for city hall, the South Ward Little City Hall which also serves as deul purposes (political campaign hq's) rent, utilites, phones, and material is a tax-payer's facility...paid for by Newark residents.

With all that activity and accountability, the surrounding areas remain underdeveloped, filthy and unsafe....you're right, those boys are doing a great job! :eek:

sjsweetheart
11-14-2008, 10:30 PM
WHAT WORK HAVE THEY DONE?

Karimah, your outreach was appreciated, but a typical answer by a typical politcian...Let me remind you, the shirts were designed by them, the ladies work for city hall, the South Ward Little City Hall which also serves as deul purposes (political campaign hq's) rent, utilites, phones, and material is a tax-payer's facility...paid for by Newark residents.

With all that activity and accountability, the surrounding areas remain underdeveloped, filthy and unsafe....you're right, those boys are doing a great job! :eek:

....they haven't done JACK!

This is soooo contradicting to what is conveyed to the young women that we mentor!:mad:

Nice job, council-men...a perfect exemplar :rolleyes:

thisjustin
11-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Why are people so afraid to come to Newark?

Let me tell you why....... This idiotic post is a perfect example of why they won't step foot in Newark....... Yes, there are many leaders both old and new in this town who take up nothing but space and amount to nothing as it pertains to public service.

But at the end of the day, the onus is on you the Citizen, to get out and enact change. Post on what is or isn't happening and call on for support to make the needed changes. Post on Promises made to the people that have been taken back. Post on the waste in government and call for change....

Depicting this picture as some evidence of some scandalous act within government is weak and silly at best.

I know you can't get it because your frustrated mind won't let you but your frustratio is misguided.......

Keep in mind these young women are not elected officials nor are they standing next to an elected official.

If you gonna try to blow my mind more than McGreevy and Co. you gotta come at me with something better.:mad:

Chad I think you are reading too much into this. The original poster said they were unfocused and misguided. No major scandal attached to a picture of Newark's finest.

The onus is on the citizens partially but it is also on the elected officials who they selected to represent them and entrusted to move this city forward. Lets not make excuses for them. Expose them for what they are. Two very talented immature young men who were thrown in the spotlight by default because Newarkers 'thought' that the change Mayor Booker would bring would leak out into the wards and benefit the people of Newark. Instead the change he brought was a whole bus load of out of towners to run a city that they have no clue about. Have you seen any of these people in your neighborhoods at a community meeting? at the local pathmark? at the local games? That is not the change I wanted. I want this administration to realize that their are a lot of talented people born and bred in the City of Newark.

Back to the picture its funny as hell man get over it. Not because of Newark's finest but because it says re-elect OSJII and elect t bankston the front probably says dog catcher:D

Mark J.
11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
What will happen to these two guys when they have to go out and get real jobs?

PrincetonGRAD
11-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I get it, the South is filthy, people feel afraid and the question remains... WHAT WORK HAVE THEY DONE? Karimah, your outreach was appreciated, but a typical answer by a typical politcian...Let me remind you, the shirts were designed by them, the ladies work for city hall, the South Ward Little City Hall which also serves as deul purposes (political campaign hq's) rent, utilites, phones, and material is a tax-payer's facility...paid for by Newark residents.

Amazing ...the extinct that some of us would go to just to tear down another person---it’s unbelievable. It is one thing to post the photo; it is another to pile on hater-based lies and attacks camouflaged as truths.

That rent for that location IS NOT paid for buy tax-payer dollars. Regardless of what you or anyone else may think about these individuals work ethic or the conditions of your community; none of that has any relevancy to the t-shirts. Furthermore the t-shirts have no significant connection to city hall. Most importantly, to deny progression, which is credited to not just the leadership but the residents is unfair to our city. How dare we chastise outsiders for downplaying us, then turn around and constantly do it to ourselves. Whatever the conditions maybe, the burden of the road from which we got to this point does not belong to these gentlemen. We all allowed for years our community to become what we all criticize today and while it may sound cliché, the truth is, the reasonability of restoring and persevering begins with those who reside in these respective communities. That does not mean simply pointing a finger, my grandbaby can even do that, it means getting up, becoming engage in a process, and making a valuable contribution to progression; I am sorry but promoting lies on blogs is not that.

The t-shirts are not inappropriate neither were they worn during city time; so what is the real issue here. It seems there is more of issue of what is written on the back then anything else-yet people on here are screaming freedom of speech.

The ladies allowed their photo to be leaked-then so be it, but it is a little pathetic to make up things in a lame attempt to make this single photo such a catastrophic matter. It does however speak to the “immature and contradictory” nature of some of the posters on here. Then you expect two individuals who you label as unqualified, immature, amateurs, etc… to take guidance from you; you have to be kidding me.

The continued improvement of our communities is not the sole responsibility of any particular councilperson or city employee. While it is extremely elementary to make ambiguous comments for the sake of online entertainment, having dialogue around the true roles and responsibilities of a councilperson or mayor's aide for that matter, would be more purposeful; as we can not truly hold people accountable when we are incompetent in this regard. It overly irresponsible to proclaim what someone has or has not done, when we speak out of ignorance to what, specifically, has been promised or accomplished. I have relatives in the south; they did not support Councilman James, but has since decided to. Recognizing that council people are legislators, they have however stated that every time they have contacted the office, they were successful in getting matters addressed. As a west ward resident I can personally speak to the constituency services office-every single employee in there is overly committed to ensuring that quality of life issues filtered through that office is addressed by the administration. Every meeting I go to, every bus ride, every city event I attend this is the consensus. I met very few who do not agree. For those who did not, were not clear on the roles or responsibilities of the office to begin with. You do not have to be a member of someone’s fan club, you can childishly dislike them for the sake of, but truth will always be the truth. I have stated before I know Bankston’s family well and his roots are not that of laziness, self –centeredness, or incompetence. Like his grandfather, godfather, and aunt, who were and continue to be proud and humble servants of this city, he is as well.

This may be too much of a substantive charge or posting for a half-baked scandalless thread-but after days of this nonsense, respectfully I add my insight and opinion with no strings attached.

God Bless you all and our city.

PrincetonGRAD
11-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Amazing ...the extent that some of us would go to just to tear down another person---it’s unbelievable. It is one thing to post the photo; it is another to pile on hater-based lies and attacks camouflaged as truths.

That rent for that location IS NOT paid for buy tax-payer dollars. Regardless of what you or anyone else may think about these individuals work ethic or the conditions of your community; none of that has any relevancy to the t-shirts. Furthermore the t-shirts have no significant connection to city hall. Most importantly, to deny progression, which is credited to not just the leadership but the residents is unfair to our city. How dare we chastise outsiders for downplaying us, then turn around and constantly do it to ourselves. Whatever the conditions maybe, the burden of the road from which we got to this point does not belong to these gentlemen. We all allowed for years our community to become what we all criticize today and while it may sound cliché, the truth is, the responsibility of restoring and persevering begins with those who reside in these respective communities. That does not mean simply pointing a finger, my grandbaby can even do that, it means getting up, becoming engage in a process, and making a valuable contribution to progression; I am sorry but promoting lies on blogs is not that.

The t-shirts are not inappropriate neither were they worn during city time; so what is the real issue here. It seems there is more of issue of what is written on the back then anything else-yet people on here are screaming freedom of speech.

The ladies allowed their photo to be leaked-then so be it, but it is a little pathetic to make up things in a lame attempt to make this single photo such a catastrophic matter. It does however speak to the “immature and contradictory” nature of some of the posters on here. Then you expect two individuals who you label as unqualified, immature, amateurs, etc… to take guidance from you; you have to be kidding me.

The continued improvement of our communities is not the sole responsibility of any particular councilperson or city employee. While it is extremely elementary to make ambiguous comments for the sake of online entertainment, having dialogue around the true roles and responsibilities of a councilperson or mayor's aide for that matter, would be more purposeful; as we can not truly hold people accountable when we are incompetent in this regard. It overly irresponsible to proclaim what someone has or has not done, when we speak out of ignorance to what, specifically, has been promised or accomplished. I have relatives in the south; they did not support Councilman James, but has since decided to. Recognizing that council people are legislators, they have however stated that every time they have contacted the office, they were successful in getting matters addressed. As a west ward resident I can personally speak to the constituency services office-every single employee in there is overly committed to ensuring that quality of life issues filtered through that office is addressed by the administration. Every meeting I go to, every bus ride, every city event I attend this is the consensus. I met very few who do not agree. For those who did not, were not clear on the roles or responsibilities of the office to begin with. You do not have to be a member of someone’s fan club, you can childishly dislike them for the sake of, but truth will always be the truth. I have stated before I know Bankston’s family well and his roots are not that of laziness, self –centeredness, or incompetence. Like his grandfather, godfather, and aunt, who were and continue to be proud and humble servants of this city, he is as well.

This may be too much of a substantive charge or posting for a half-baked scandalless thread-but after days of this nonsense, respectfully I add my insight and opinion with no strings attached.

concerned2
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't agree with the exploitation of these young ladies,but its nothing new.
It will happen again. It seems that most people is judging by the photo and not the question by BELOVED. People fear nwk because of the uncertainty the gang activity, the violence! The city is mostly dirty in areas where there's a lot of street activity. This administration if they had there way all of us would be out nwk just my opinion.

Hots in the Ironbound
11-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Perhaps it is time to do away with the wards and wardens, councilman.

The ward system, by itself, is a corrupt one. At best, it only serves itself not the city at large. The ward system is outdated. Years ago it geminated from the need to serve specific people--the Jews, the Italians, etc...to give these people a voice, and to also enrich those running the wards.

That system now is old and does not work in Newark. It does not serve the city as a whole, or do what is best for an "entire" city to move forward.

Born In Newark
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
It’s amazing that all of this came from one photo. It was a picture taking in fun. Just because one lady decide to wear clothing that was inappropriate should not be a reflection of the others. She probably didn't even know that you could see through her clothes. But now that everyone has brought attention to the clothing I am sure she will be more careful next time.

I believe the thread was why people were so fearful of coming to Newark. Seeing this picture does not make me fearful, it makes me think that people are actually out there working for a cause to make things better. It shows me that young people are getting involved in making changes in their community. Remember these are young people, and maybe they don't have the adults around like most of us who are older to tell us what was appropriate and what was not. No one says anything to the young when they are wearing clothes that show there thongs are bellies are hanging over the jeans. It’s just talked about. Gone are the days when an older woman would let a young lady know about her clothing. Gone are the days when a young man is told about his clothing or when he enters a room to take off hat. I am sure if somebody spoke to that lady before hand she would have not been in that picture.

I am sure that there are a million reasons why people fear Newark and I know this photo is not one of the reasons.

Poet
11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Seeing this picture does not make me fearful, it makes me think that people are actually out there working for a cause to make things better. It shows me that young people are getting involved in making changes in their community.

Man, please. First, these ladies are GROWN, contrary to their behavior.

Second, what cause are they working exactly? What is "changing"? I see the same old same, personally. I see 5 beautiful black women with their booties tooted up for the camera. If they were worried about the "cause", shouldn't I be able to see the T-shirt as well as their behinds on more than just two of the five shirts? C'mon...

I am sure that there are a million reasons why people fear Newark and I know this photo is not one of the reasons.

You're right. This is not a fear thing. This is a respect/shame thing. I find this photo tasteless and disrespectful because it makes life harder for our sisters who work hard to be seen to contribute more to the political discussion than just their behinds. Put Michelle Obama on the cover of Jet with an Obama shirt on in the same position. Still don't see a problem?

The ladies can do what they want. That's on them, I suppose. I put the onus on the candidates because, like 5Reasons said, they've let this go on too long. This seems to be clear as day: a picture is posted with candidates names involved; the public is offended; the candidate responds. Not rocket science.

Herc
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I've tried to sit aside and not voice my opinion to the matter as a whole. But it has gotten ridiculous! Bitter people, too much time, and/or lack of insight has led to incorrect information.

Someone please enlighten me:
-What has OJII done?
-What has he NOT done?
-Has anything changed, for better/worse, in the ward since 06'?

-What has Bankston done?
-What has he NOT done?
-Has anything changed since that division was formulated, citywide?

What is the correlation between t-shirts and their duties? Their abilities? And their commitment? While i have looked, I truly cannot find one.

thisjustin
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
All of these women work for the City of Newark. I wonder if they were coerced to put these shirts on and campaign for OSJ and TB. Its no different from the last administration making workers buy tickets and volunteer on campaigns out of fear that they might lose their job.

Another thing Karimah you said Terence didn't feel he should respond to this post how about OJ and even the women. The administrator said they complained why didn't they come here to explain why they took this picture in the first place. Particularly that one with the thong.:cool:

Born In Newark
11-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Man, please. First, these ladies are GROWN, contrary to their behavior.

Second, what cause are they working exactly? What is "changing"? I see the same old same, personally. I see 5 beautiful black women with their booties tooted up for the camera. If they were worried about the "cause", shouldn't I be able to see the T-shirt as well as their behinds on more than just two of the five shirts? C'mon...

You're right. This is not a fear thing. This is a respect/shame thing. I find this photo tasteless and disrespectful because it makes life harder for our sisters who work hard to be seen to contribute more to the political discussion than just their behinds. Put Michelle Obama on the cover of Jet with an Obama shirt on in the same position. Still don't see a problem?

The ladies can do what they want. That's on them, I suppose. I put the onus on the candidates because, like 5Reasons said, they've let this go on too long. This seems to be clear as day: a picture is posted with candidates names involved; the public is offended; the candidate responds. Not rocket science.

1. I am a grown woman with 3 grown daughters
2. The person who took this picture should have shown both sides of the t-shirt. But when you are trying to display the negative, you will not show the positive side.
3. Your canidates are young people themselves who are trying to appeal to the young adults who will one day grow up and be your councilman, mayor etc.
If the public is offended, then why not teach these people how it should be done.
It seemed like the old way worked (yeah right)!

Born In Newark
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I've tried to sit aside and not voice my opinion to the matter as a whole. But it has gotten ridiculous! Bitter people, too much time, and/or lack of insight has led to incorrect information.

Someone please enlighten me:
-What has OJII done?
-What has he NOT done?
-Has anything changed, for better/worse, in the ward since 06'?

-What has Bankston done?
-What has he NOT done?
-Has anything changed since that division was formulated, citywide?

What is the correlation between t-shirts and their duties? Their abilities? And their commitment? While i have looked, I truly cannot find one.

I second this!!!

brotherderek
11-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Those lovely ladies have a good future behind them.....That is a lot more then Oscar has in front of him..

LastCubanStanding
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Those lovely ladies have a good future behind them.....That is a lot more then Oscar has in front of him..

LOL...I hope their future includes a treadmill. :D

BrickCitiesBest
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Lighten up people! It is obvious the picture was harmlessly taken and some fool to start controversy placed it on this site. Looking at the picture I wish for a few things:

1. All the women start working out at the "Y"
2. The woman wearing the stretch pants, wears no underwear next time.
3. One of them is dating T. Bankston, and brings him back to the right side of the tracks, because he is....
4. None of them are Oscar SR. women....eeek!!!!
5. Mildred Crump is not in the next pic.

Our_beloved_City
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Amazing ...the extent that some of us would go to just to tear down another person---it’s unbelievable. It is one thing to post the photo; it is another to pile on hater-based lies and attacks camouflaged as truths.

That rent for that location IS NOT paid for buy tax-payer dollars. Regardless of what you or anyone else may think about these individuals work ethic or the conditions of your community; none of that has any relevancy to the t-shirts. Furthermore the t-shirts have no significant connection to city hall. Most importantly, to deny progression, which is credited to not just the leadership but the residents is unfair to our city. How dare we chastise outsiders for downplaying us, then turn around and constantly do it to ourselves. Whatever the conditions maybe, the burden of the road from which we got to this point does not belong to these gentlemen. We all allowed for years our community to become what we all criticize today and while it may sound cliché, the truth is, the responsibility of restoring and persevering begins with those who reside in these respective communities. That does not mean simply pointing a finger, my grandbaby can even do that, it means getting up, becoming engage in a process, and making a valuable contribution to progression; I am sorry but promoting lies on blogs is not that.

Not a substantive response, sounds like evasiveness. If I can call u PG, the councilman took on the role and assumed the responsibilty for the ward. PG, please read his job description. In addition, WHO PAYS FOR THE CLINTON AVENUE HQ's and material? Also, who rents the apartments on Hawthorne Avenue that house Cory's security? Why was the neighborhood police offices on Bergen & Clinton closed? Why is police visibility only high when it comes to traffic offenses and bootleg CD's, low on violent crimes and shootings?

Cory is right, hold him and his council member accountable...when our taxes increase and the fear level is at its highest, Newark residents are fired, unopened NHA housing litter the landscape...I ask myself these questions.

Where is the advocay from the council? What are the solutions offered?

Salacious pictures, states to me their is a lack of focus of the elected, PG. I can not convince visitors and prospective investors, a filthy city is a city on the comeback! PG, our city is littered with leadership...we have 1 Mayor, 4 Councilmembers, 2 Assembly people and several other elected officials and employee rent and own in the South...the South should not be the most criminal and least progressive. Even Mildred would agree with that!!!

*BTW: I wonder, does Jermaine James have a contract with the City of Newark??? You don't leave a $100K and free car services to work on Cory's re-election bid 2 yrs away w/out an endownment or some other in-lieu of payments??? 5Reasons, please investigate!!!

HAVESEENENOUGH
11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
LOL...I hope their future includes a treadmill. :D

Treadmills, Trainers, Fashion Consultants and after that, some may need to visit a plastic surgeon.:D

HAVESEENENOUGH
11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Woman is abducted and forced to withdraw cash in Newark
by George Berkin/The Star-Ledger
Friday November 21, 2008, 5:30 AM

A thief remained at large late Thursday night after he briefly kidnapped a woman at knifepoint in Newark, commandeered her car and forced her to withdraw money from an automatic teller machine, police said.

The victim was not injured.

The incident began about 8:30 p.m., as the woman left a Pathmark on Ferry Street in the city's Ironbound section, said Detective Todd McClendon, a police spokesman.

As the woman walked toward her car, the man approached her with a knife and ordered her into the vehicle, the detective said. He then drove her to Chestnut Street, where he forced her to withdraw $200 from a cash machine.

The suspect then drove to Broad Street, where he left her vehicle and ran away in an unknown direction.

thisjustin
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
1. I am a grown woman with 3 grown daughters
2. The person who took this picture should have shown both sides of the t-shirt. But when you are trying to display the negative, you will not show the positive side.
3. Your canidates are young people themselves who are trying to appeal to the young adults who will one day grow up and be your councilman, mayor etc.
If the public is offended, then why not teach these people how it should be done.
It seemed like the old way worked (yeah right)!

Are you one of the women in this photo?

Hots in the Ironbound
11-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Woman is abducted and forced to withdraw cash in Newark
Friday November 21, 2008, 5:30 AM

A thief remained at large late Thursday night after he briefly kidnapped a woman at knifepoint in Newark, commandeered her car and forced her to withdraw money from an automatic teller machine, police said.

The victim was not injured.

The incident began about 8:30 p.m., as the woman left a Pathmark on Ferry Street in the city's Ironbound section, said Detective Todd McClendon, a police spokesman.

As the woman walked toward her car, the man approached her with a knife and ordered her into the vehicle, the detective said. He then drove her to Chestnut Street, where he forced her to withdraw $200 from a cash machine.

The suspect then drove to Broad Street, where he left her vehicle and ran away in an unknown direction.

....these are the sort of crimes that occur when the economy is on the downside, and when people are desperate for food and for drugs. It is important to be aware of your surroundings, always, folks. But is this one reason why people are afraid to come to Newark?

HAVESEENENOUGH
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
....these are the sort of crimes that occur when the economy is on the downside, and when people are desperate for food and for drugs. It is important to be aware of your surroundings, always, folks. But is this one reason why people are afraid to come to Newark?

I have been a police officer for over two decades in Newark. This has been happening since I started. It was going on before there were ATM machines down there. You are making excuses for it like your running for political office. I'm sure this victim works for her money and nobody has the right to take it from her for any reason, especially by physical force with a weapon.

Due you plan on running for office in 2010?;)

Born In Newark
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Camden ranks No. 2 in national crime-ridden-cities list

by The Associated Press Monday November 24, 2008, 10:54 AM

Camden ranked second in the nation behind New Orleans in an annual rankings of most crime-ridden cities from CQ Press.

Camden topped the list for two years before slipping to fifth two years ago and then fourth last year.

Trenton and Newark were also among the 30 most dangerous cities out of the 385 ranked.

But the news wasn't all bad for New Jersey. Five of its largest suburbs -- Brick, Toms River, Edison, Hamilton and Woodbridge -- were among the safest cities.

The ratings are based on numbers from 2007.

There may be one way for Camden to get off the list. If its population dips below 75,000, it won't be included.

See more in Camden County, Crime/Courts

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/camden_ranks_no_2_in_national.html

concerned2
11-25-2008, 12:52 AM
In my previous post I said that nwk is only dirty where there is A lot of traffic.
When I took A tour just to see ,there's trash/junk all over the place just drive down route 21 and take a look!:o

HAVESEENENOUGH
11-29-2008, 10:40 AM
MOST DANGEROUS 25 CITIES IN US:2008
1 St. Louis, MO
2 Detroit, MI
3 Flint, MI
4 Compton, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 Cleveland, OH
8 Oakland, CA
9 Youngstown, OH
10 Gary, IN
11 Richmond, CA
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Memphis, TN
14 Trenton, NJ
15 Richmond, VA
16 Kansas City, MO
17 Atlanta, GA
18 Cincinnati, OH
19 Washington, DC
20 North Charleston, SC
21 Reading, PA
22 Newark, NJ
23 Little Rock, AR
24 San Bernardino, CA
25 Orlando, FL

Hots in the Ironbound
11-29-2008, 11:54 AM
MOST DANGEROUS 25 CITIES IN US:2008
1 St. Louis, MO
2 Detroit, MI
3 Flint, MI
4 Compton, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 Cleveland, OH
8 Oakland, CA
9 Youngstown, OH
10 Gary, IN
11 Richmond, CA
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Memphis, TN
14 Trenton, NJ
15 Richmond, VA
16 Kansas City, MO
17 Atlanta, GA
18 Cincinnati, OH
19 Washington, DC
20 North Charleston, SC
21 Reading, PA
22 Newark, NJ
23 Little Rock, AR
24 San Bernardino, CA
25 Orlando, FL

....should be installed across the city of Newark to advertise tihs great feat of ours...:cool:

HAVESEENENOUGH
11-29-2008, 04:14 PM
....should be installed across the city of Newark to advertise tihs great feat of ours...:cool:

According to newspaper reports and public interviews...Crime is down.:rolleyes:

Hots in the Ironbound
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
According to newspaper reports and public interviews...Crime is down.:rolleyes:

...and there are less guns on the streets, too. Perhaps Plaxico Burress can attest to that. :D

sjsweetheart
11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
...and there are less guns on the streets, too. Perhaps Plaxico Burress can attest to that. :D

...dont you know that Burress and T.O. are both from the same skol....they rode the short yellow bus!:D

Big Blue in the House! 11-1 (once we beat the Redskins) sounds like another super-ball ring in the makings;)

RACEMATTERS
12-01-2008, 01:17 AM
I know Philly had the highest murder rate by far last year? Also Miami was up there as well-

There was a time when Philly was averaging a murder a day.

Poet
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
This is probably the mid-sized cities list (500K or so). I'm sure there is a different list with Philly and New Orleans on it.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
This is probably the mid-sized cities list (500K or so). I'm sure there is a different list with Philly and New Orleans on it.

This list I posted represents overall reported violent crime. Here is what you are referring to which is per-capita.

CITIES OF 500,000 OR MORE POPULATION: (32cities)

Most Dangerous 10:

1.Detroit, MI

2.Baltimore, MD

3.Memphis, TN

4.Washington, DC

5.Philadelphia, PA

6.Dallas, TX

7.Nashville, TN

8.Charlotte, NC

9.Columbus, OH

10.Houston, TX

CITIES OF 100,000 TO 499,999 POPULATION: (213 cities)

Most Dangerous 10:

1.St. Louis, MO

2.Flint, MI

3.Birmingham, AL

4.Cleveland, OH

5.Oakland, CA

6.Gary, IN

7.Richmond, CA

8.Richmond, VA

9. Kansas City, MO

10.Atlanta, GA

Poet
12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
You can't tell me that Newark and Hot-Lanta are more violent than Nawlins... NO WAY. If that's the case, I'm with RACE on this one. Something in the methodology isn't adding up for me.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
You can't tell me that Newark and Hot-Lanta are more violent than Nawlins... NO WAY. If that's the case, I'm with RACE on this one. Something in the methodology isn't adding up for me.

These reports are released by the FBI annually. What you don't seem to understand is the formula that is used to come up with these rankings. I went through this last year and I certainly am not going down that path again. You are focusing on the murder rate and not including any other crimes in your opinion on this. That may be because you have all been led to do so by press releases on murder statistics and no other crimes that are taking place each and everyday in your neighborhood. At this point, I suggest that you take the time to do the research on the web and read it for yourself. Remember, the FBI only releases statistics based on what the municipalities submit to them. They do not research the information for accuracy. The State Police due check for accuracy to some extent in New Jersey.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Girl in back seat of carjacked vehicle released unharmed
Monday December 08, 2008, 7:26 PM

A 9-year-old girl was unharmed tonight after her mother's Pontiac was carjacked in Newark with the child still in the back seat, police said.

The vehicle was taken shortly before 6:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Nye Avenue, when three men in a Jeep forced the girl's mother from her car, said Detective Todd McClendon, a spokesman for Newark police. Moments later, the girl was dropped off around the corner unharmed, McClendon said.

The Pontiac G6 was located minutes later at Hawthorne Avenue and Schley Street. The suspects remained at large, the detective added.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Man stable after shot in shoulder in Newark

by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
Tuesday December 09, 2008, 10:41 PM

An unidentified man was in stable condition after he was shot in the shoulder in Newark tonight, according to police.

The victim was discovered about 8:45 p.m. at an address on Shephard Avenue, said Detective Todd McClendon, a city police spokesman.

Details of the shooting remained sketchy because the victim was not cooperating with police, McClendon said.

The victim's condition was described as stable. No suspects were immediately in custody

karimah
12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Another vehicle was stolen in Newark with two Twin babies inside. A mother got out her car to close the gate and someone jump in the car. I guess the person realize the kids where in the car an abandon the vehicle. The kids are safe and sound.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
There have been multiple shootings since Friday also. A couple today alone.

Make Newark Clean
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
There have been multiple shootings since Friday also. A couple today alone.

Expect shootings to continue in Newark and each and every other American city unless something radical is done to deal with the underpinnings of crime in impoverished neighborhoods. The lock 'em all up mentality obviously yields limited benefits. Random state intrusions, helicopters, police cordons and watchtowers have their limits as well. How do you expect the mayor and police director to solve these issues totally?

I am, however, curious, and I ask only because you're preoccupied with showcasing a raft of Newark's "fearful" crimes: Do you live here in Newark? Don't get me wrong. Crime is no less deplorable if you live somewhere else. Yet for those of us who live here, the crafting of remedies that remain respectful to law-abiders while minimizing crime matters. What more can be done without wholesale change?

If you do not live here, are you fearful for you, or your family, to venture into Newark? Considering the nature of most crimes in this city, why?

No need to respond if it's none of my business.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Expect shootings to continue in Newark and each and every other American city unless something radical is done to deal with the underpinnings of crime in impoverished neighborhoods. The lock 'em all up mentality obviously yields limited benefits. Random state intrusions, helicopters, police cordons and watchtowers have their limits as well. How do you expect the mayor and police director to solve these issues totally?
I am, however, curious, and I ask only because you're preoccupied with showcasing a raft of Newark's "fearful" crimes: Do you live here in Newark? Don't get me wrong. Crime is no less deplorable if you live somewhere else. Yet for those of us who live here what is to be done about it and, most important, how respectful remedies are to our humanity and personal integrity, matters. If you do not live here, are you fearful for you, or your family, to venture into the city? Considering the nature of most crimes that happen in this city, why?

No need to respond if it's none of my business.

I have been a police officer in Newark for almost 25 years it is my job to aware of all crimes that are taking place in this city. I am certainly not afraid to venture into the city. Everyday of the last two decades as been an adventure as a matter of fact. I was born and raised in Newark and your answer is yes. The crime rate postings are to make an obvious point. I have covered the reasons for these postings on other threads prior to this one that you have also posted on. Therefore, I'm curious as to why you would be asking me about that. In answer to what can be done about the crime problem, I have addressed that issue also on other threads that you have also posted on. When people make a concious decision to break the law they must be prepared to suffer the consequences should they get caught. It is common sense. The mayor and the police director seem to have set the bar on reducing crime on their own. I have never stated that I expected anything from them.

Now a question for you: I would hope you are not attempting to get into a hostile debate with me because I don't share your opinions on legalizing narcotics and your linking narcotics use to race and who gets arrested and who doesn't. That just wouldn't be nice.:)

Make Newark Clean
12-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I have been a police officer in Newark for almost 25 years it is my job to aware of all crimes that are taking place in this city. I am certainly not afraid to venture into the city.

I thought you were a retired cop.

Everyday of the last two decades as been an adventure as a matter of fact. I was born and raised in Newark and your answer is yes.

So you do live here. I did not know that.

The crime rate postings are to make an obvious point. I have covered the reasons for these postings on other threads prior to this one that you have also posted on.

Really?

Therefore, I'm curious as to why you would be asking me about that.

It was an honest question.

In answer to what can be done about the crime problem, I have addressed that issue also on other threads that you have also posted on.

Maybe it's not as clear to me as it is to you. Never mind.

When people make a concious decision to break the law they must be prepared to suffer the consequences should they get caught. It is common sense.

It all depends on where you look, doesn't it?

The mayor and the police director seem to have set the bar on reducing crime on their own. I have never stated that I expected anything from them.

So you post Newark crime stories because...?

Now a question for you: I would hope you are not attempting to get into a hostile debate with me because I don't share your opinions on legalizing narcotics

Hostile debates are for small-minded people who mistake bluster for making a point. I have no intention on tolerating ad hominem, personal attacks. That type of discourse has never been my style. Frankly, I wasn't quite sure what you felt about revamping drug policies after you posted a video you, obviously, never watched. Why is it so important to lob brickbats at my comments without taking the time to even know what you're representing? Did I make you that angry? Look, I don't expect anyone to follow me, or do his own thinking, for that matter -- although the latter would be nice. Anyway, I know what I'm saying is currently out of the mainstream, but not as much as it once was. Pay careful attention, the world, US included, is shifting closer to my critical analysis of this topic. Interesting word choice: "hostile."

and your linking narcotics use to race and who gets arrested and who doesn't. That just wouldn't be nice.:)

Narcotics arrests are inextricably linked to race. Are you saying that's not a fact? Why be confrontational if you don't know the facts?

Your beliefs about the cause of outsized incarceration rates are more rooted in wishful thinking rather than fact. And that's not because you disagree with my remedies. Others don't agree with me as well. Doofus, for example, doesn't agree with me. He annoys me sometimes; perhaps I do him (although I can't believe I could possibly :D ) Sometimes we learn from each other; sometimes it's a bid acidic; but I respect his views even if I don't agree with them. I am secure enough not to be unduly obstinate in my world views, especially since they're subject to change.

Thanks for your time. This post makes a lot of things obvious. I'll keep my interactions with you to a minimum. I never meant to offend anyone.

^

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I thought you were a retired cop.

So you do live here. I did not know that.

Really?

It was an honest question.

Maybe it's not as clear to me as it is to you. Never mind.

It all depends on where you look, doesn't it?

So you post Newark crime stories because...?

Hostile debates are for small-minded people who mistake bluster for making a point. I have no intention on tolerating ad hominem, personal attacks. That type of discourse has never been my style. Frankly, I wasn't quite sure what you felt about revamping drug policies after you posted a video you, obviously, never watched. Why is it so important to lob brickbats at my comments without taking the time to even know what you're representing? Did I make you that angry? Look, I don't expect anyone to follow me, or do his own thinking, for that matter -- although the latter would be nice. Anyway, I know what I'm saying is currently out of the mainstream, but not as much as it once was. Pay careful attention, the world, US included, is shifting closer to my critical analysis of this topic. Interesting word choice: "hostile."

Narcotics arrests are inextricably linked to race. Are you saying that's not a fact? Why be confrontational if you don't know the facts?

Your beliefs about the cause of outsized incarceration rates are more rooted in wishful thinking rather than fact. And that's not because you disagree with my remedies. Others don't agree with me as well. Doofus, for example, doesn't agree with me. He annoys me sometimes; perhaps I do him (although I can't believe I could possibly :D ) Sometimes we learn from each other; sometimes it's a bid acidic; but I respect his views even if I don't agree with them. I am secure enough not to be unduly obstinate in my world views, especially since they're subject to change.

Thanks for your time. This post makes a lot of things obvious. I'll keep my interactions with you to a minimum. I never meant to offend anyone.

^

I wasn't offended at all. You seem to be. Again, this all seems to stem from another thread. Why not leave that topic on that thread instead of bringing it over here. But since your still talking about it here, I did watch the video that is why I posted it. Why would I post something I didn't research myself? You are right about the obvious however. You have no idea of my race, but your implications are obvious as are your views. Things are not always what they seem.

Felice Navidad

Make Newark Clean
12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I wasn't offended at all. You seem to be. Again, this all seems to stem from another thread. Why not leave that topic on that thread instead of bringing it over here. But since your still talking about it here, I did watch the video that is why I posted it. Why would I post something I didn't research myself? You are right about the obvious however. You have no idea of my race, but your implications are obvious as are your views. Things are not always what they seem.

Felice Navidad

Now a question for you: I would hope you are not attempting to get into a hostile debate with me because I don't share your opinions on legalizing narcotics

Who said anything about your "Race"?

What? This is a response to what you posted. I see where this is going...

Peace, out.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Who said anything about your "Race"?

What? This is a response to what you posted. I see where this is going...

Peace, out.

You did, you just may not realize it.

Make Newark Clean
12-11-2008, 11:12 PM
You did, you just may not realize it.

Yeah, of course. You're obviously white, but I may just not realize it, Hawk. You're so much more clever. Administrator?

^

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Yeah, of course. You're obviously white, but I may just not realize it, Hawk. You're so much more clever. Administrator?

^

You will soon find out that you not a very good detective. Administrator....please inform this person that he or she is absolutely not correct.

No fuerce por favor sus opiniones racistas sobre mí. No quisiera que usted envenenara mi alma.

Gracias

Game Over

To all others I apoligize that this thread was taken off topic.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Man kills ex-girlfriend, self in Newark

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

NEWARK:A Hillside man shot his former girlfriend to death at her Newark home early yesterday, then turned the gun on himself, authorities said.

The murder-suicide took place at around 12:30 a.m. in the Seymour Avenue home of the man's ex-girlfriend, 30-year-old Nadiyah Johnson, Essex County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Paul Loriquet said. Police responding to reports of gunfire found the couple in the woman's bedroom, both with gunshot wounds to the head.

Detectives determined the woman's former boyfriend, Sidhartha Jenkins, 34, of Hillside, shot her multiple times and then shot himself in the mouth, Lori quet said.

What precipitated the shooting remains under investigation, authorities said. A law enforcement official said the couple had no history of domestic violence complaints or any other kinds of violent crimes. 9-year-old unharmed

in Newark carjacking NEWARK:A 9-year-old girl was unharmed last night after her mother's Pontiac was carjacked in Newark with the child still in the back seat, police said.

The vehicle was taken shortly before 6:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Nye Avenue, when three men in a Jeep forced the girl's mother from her car, said Detective Todd McClendon, a spokesman for Newark police.

Moments later, the girl was dropped off around the corner unharmed, McClendon said.

The Pontiac G6 was located minutes later at Hawthorne Avenue and Schley Street. The sus pects remained at large last night, the detective added. Inmate who set fire

in cell is identified NEWARK:Authorities have identified the inmate who died in a prison cell fire at Northern State Prison as Brandon E. Harvey.

Harvey, 27, died at University Hospital on Sunday after he set his mattress on fire in his jail cell, said authorities. Officials at the state Department of Corrections are still investigating how he started the fire on Saturday afternoon. Harvey was rushed to University Hospital where he was declared dead from smoke inhalation.

The Mercer County resident was serving a sentence for aggravated assault. He was sentenced to prison on April 10, 2006, and was scheduled to be released in 2010.

It was unclear whether the in mate deliberately tried to kill himself.

Five corrections officers were treated for smoke inhalation and a sixth was injured while responding to the fire.

karimah
12-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Armed bandits hit Newark gas station
by Sharon Adarlo/The Star-Ledger Thursday December 11, 2008, 11:09 PM
Two armed men robbed a gas station in Newark tonight and fled with $250, police said.

The robbery occurred at 7:35 p.m. at the Mellinum service station on Bloomfield Avenue, said Newark police spokesman Detective Todd McClendon.

It was unclear whether anyone was injured in the robbery, in which a handgun was used.

McClendon said the suspects remained at large tonight. No other details were available.

How many more robberies will occurr before all the CHIEFS in newark decide to do something about the uprise in crime. ATTENTION for all that don't know their is a rise in crime. Assault, Robbery,Shootings and Murder

Newark Advocate
12-12-2008, 04:42 PM
How many more robberies will occurr before all the CHIEFS in newark decide to do something about the uprise in crime. ATTENTION for all that don't know their is a rise in crime. Assault, Robbery,Shootings and MurderBooker is too busy insulting the intelligence of Newark residents with the "Murder is down 40%" farce.

karimah
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Booker is too busy insulting the intelligence of Newark residents with the "Murder is down 40%" farce.

Murder on his block maybe down but not for the rest of Newark. Murders maybe down but shootings are up. You can't have it both ways CHIEFS. Newark Advocate, they aint fooling all of us. You even have a few cops that contest to these claims that murder is not down.

Newark Advocate
12-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Murder on his block maybe down but not for the rest of Newark. Murders maybe down but shootings are up. You can't have it both ways CHIEFS. Newark Advocate, they aint fooling all of us. You even have a few cops that contest to these claims that murder is not down.I'll bet crime is up on Hawthorne Avenue too.

JoefromPGH
12-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Numbers are just numbers. When residents are afraid of being picked-off by random violence or being burglurized/robbed, statistics are meaningless. The gangs are still ruling the streets. And if its not gangs, its a bunch of young folks with nothing to do that can flair up at any time. I still remember Make's post a few months ago about how the streets of the SW just woke up after 11:00 PM with dozens of youth hanging around the street corners.

All the police work in the world will not change this. Maybe the partial erradication of the gangs can be done with police work but the gangs will continue to draw members no matter how many of their present members are put away.

Any real change has to come from within and I think we all know that. And that is the hardest part of all.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Numbers are just numbers. When residents are afraid of being picked-off by random violence or being burglurized/robbed, statistics are meaningless. The gangs are still ruling the streets. And if its not gangs, its a bunch of young folks with nothing to do that can flair up at any time. I still remember Make's post a few months ago about how the streets of the SW just woke up after 11:00 PM with dozens of youth hanging around the street corners.

All the police work in the world will not change this. Maybe the partial erradication of the gangs can be done with police work but the gangs will continue to draw members no matter how many of their present members are put away.

Any real change has to come from within and I think we all know that. And that is the hardest part of all.

You are absolutley correct. However, your police force does not have the proper resources or staffing at this time to accomplish what needs to be done from a law enforcement perspective. While the city is attempting to put another class of recruits in for January the police department has been understaffed for so long you would need a class in the hundreds to catch up. Even if they did, as you stated it would not be enough.Officers are taking retirement and leaving to other departments as new hires come in. Gangs are a big problem but junkies are doing the large amount of burglaries. Auto theft in Newark still ranks high on the list, and for some reason idiots think they can rape someone with no consequences these days. Shootings and robberies are committed by both gangs and drug abusers.

How do you make a change within? I understand what you want to achieve but I have to say this again, It is not society's responsibilty to raise someone else's children. It is that of the parent of that child. If those parents have failed the child and that child is now an adult commiting these crimes, how are you going to bring them out of it? The individuals that are in gangs feel that the gang is their family and have the mindset to die for that gang. Very few are pulled away from that. They don't even realize that they are getting themselves killed for nothing. Even when they are arrested and sentenced to prison, the gang life continues inside the prison system. The prison system can only keep their problems with gangs regulated by segregating them within their gang. That just allows them to get stronger in my opinion, but it keeps the homicide rate within the prisons down.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Newark police investigate two weekend shootings

Monday December 22, 2008, 4:07 PM

Two separate shootings in Newark over the weekend left two men hospitalized, according to city police spokesman Det. Todd McClendon.

A 60-year-old Newark man was critically injured in first incident, which occurred just before midnight Saturday. The man was shot once in the head while waiting for food inside Crown Fried Chicken Restaurant on Bergen Street, McClendon said.

Witnesses said the suspect walked into the restaurant and shot the victim before fleeing on foot. Police have neither identified the motive nor the suspect, according to McClendon.

Police also did not immediately identify the hospital treating the victim.

In the second incident, which took place around 2:30 a.m. Sunday, a 25-year-old Brooklyn man was shot in the leg and arm while smoking a cigarette outside Alice's Bar on Frelinghuysen Avenue, McClendon said.

The victim told police he was shot by the occupants of a white SUV that pulled up to a traffic light near the bar. The victim was treated for non-life-threatening injuries at University Hospital in Newark, McClendon said.

Police have not yet identified any suspects or a motive.

McClendon noted shooting incidents in the city are down by 13 percent, with nearly 60 fewer people shot, compared to this time last year.

Anyone with information about this or any other crimes is urged to call the Department's 24 hour "Crime Stoppers" anonymous tip line at 877 NWK-TIPS (877 695-8477) or NWK-GUNS (877 695-4867). Tips leading to arrests and indictments could result in cash rewards of up to $2,000 to the person who provides the information or $1,000 per gun for calls into the Gun hotline.

Hots in the Ironbound
12-22-2008, 10:51 PM
"Dont't be fooled by the stats that I got,
I'm still, I'm still
Murder on the block."

thisjustin
12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm still, I'm still
Murder on the block."

I like that one. I am singing it in my head. They are tricksters I don't believe anything that comes from that group

Caballero De Newark
12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm still, I'm still
Murder on the block."

...a little morbid but this was darkly amusing.;)

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Newark police investigate two robbers impersonating officers

Wednesday December 24, 2008, 12:55 PM

Two men posing as police officers and driving an unmarked vehicle resembling a police car, robbed another man in Newark of about $1,200, authorities said.

The suspects, wearing vests that read "Police," stepped out of a black four-door Ford Crown Victoria with emergency lights, at around 10 p.m. Tuesday, said Newark Detective Todd McClendon.

The incident happened on the corner of Crittenden and Rowland streets, near McCarter Highway.

The suspects demanded money, then stole about $1,200 from the victim. They scrambled back into the car, with New Jersey license plate number MG45285, police said.

The suspects didn't have on Newark police uniforms, and the car, though resembling a police vehicle, was not a marked patrol car.

ProSouth
12-25-2008, 02:50 AM
Newark police investigate two robbers impersonating officers

Wednesday December 24, 2008, 12:55 PM

Two men posing as police officers and driving an unmarked vehicle resembling a police car, robbed another man in Newark of about $1,200, authorities said.

The suspects, wearing vests that read "Police," stepped out of a black four-door Ford Crown Victoria with emergency lights, at around 10 p.m. Tuesday, said Newark Detective Todd McClendon.

The incident happened on the corner of Crittenden and Rowland streets, near McCarter Highway.

The suspects demanded money, then stole about $1,200 from the victim. They scrambled back into the car, with New Jersey license plate number MG45285, police said.

The suspects didn't have on Newark police uniforms, and the car, though resembling a police vehicle, was not a marked patrol car.This sounds real suspect to me. Wonder where they got the municipal plates and wonder why they did not say in the article who or where the tags come back to.

One more thing.....If they are investigating the incident how do they automatically know that they are cop impersonators and not real cops?

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
This sounds real suspect to me. Wonder where they got the municipal plates and wonder why they did not say in the article who or where the tags come back to.

One more thing.....If they are investigating the incident how do they automatically know that they are cop impersonators and not real cops?

The plate could have been given to these individuals from someone down in the Motors Division or be one of the employees that works down there to begin with. Have you ever seen who they have working down there? It's not the Boy Scouts brother.

Caballero De Newark
12-25-2008, 05:16 PM
The guys from my old neighborhood (Goodwin Avenue-between Nye & Renner) that robbed people, did it just like that. In fact, when I read this artcle, the first thing I thought about was "Is Blankity-Blank out of jail?" It's been going on like that since I was in my teens.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Off-duty Newark police officer stops attempted carjacking of his vehicle
by Guy Sterling/The Star-Ledger
Friday December 26, 2008, 4:10 PM

Police are investigating an attempted carjacking of a Newark police officer this morning as he was driving home in his own car after completing his shift.

Authorities said the unidentified officer was followed at around 9:30 a.m. by two vehicles on South Orange Avenue in Newark, one an Acura and the other a Toyota 4-Runner that was reported stolen out of Elizabeth this morning.

At one point in the pursuit, the Acura struck the officer's car in the rear while the 4-Runner approached from the side and tried to run the officer's vehicle off the road, said Paul Loriquet, spokesman for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

The officer opened fire on the 4-Runner, shooting twice and causing the SUV to crash in the front yard at 20 Grand Ave. in East Orange, Loriquet said. No one was hit and East Orange police apprehended one of the two occupants in the Toyota in a backyard several blocks from the crash site, while the other fled on foot, Loriquet added.

Derrick Singleton, 19, of Newark, has been charged by East Orange police with carjacking, aggravated assault, receiving stolen property, and weapons offenses.

"We believe he may have been the driver." Loriquet said. The other person in the Toyota ran away, he said. The Acura, with four occupants, sped off.

Loriquet said the officer was shaken up and taken to University Hospital in Newark for observation.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Police investigate attack near Vailsburg Park in Newark

Monday December 29, 2008, 10:51 AM

Authorities are investigating an assault that took place near Vailsburg Park in Newark, which left a man beaten about the face, but without a gunshot wound, as he had claimed, Essex County Sheriff Armando Fontoura said.

Newark police and the Sheriff's Office responded to the incident, which happened Sunday before 8:30 p.m., near the park, which is on South Orange Avenue and Oraton Parkway, Newark police Detective Todd McClendon said.

The 43-year-old victim was walking home from Irvington when he was attacked, authorities said. The call to police was made from the victim's North Munn Avenue home.

He was taken to University Hospital, where doctors found no evidence the victim was shot in the face, Fontoura said. "There was no indication of any bullet fragments," he said. There was evidence the victim was struck in the head with a blunt object, either a pipe or a bat, which he also told police, the sheriff said.

Newark police is handling the investigation, Fontoura said.

This guy knows who beat him yet he is not telling the truth to the police and impeading an investigation that he started. If he was not going to tell the truth he shouldn't have bothered to call the police.

thisjustin
03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Haven't heard anything about the South Ward or my honorable councilman in a while. Anybody know anything thats going on in the South.

karimah
03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Nothing, isn't that the problem to begin with. ?????????????:eek:

thisjustin
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
That's what I was thinking but I thought the Newark Speaks family may have a little more insight than I would as a resident of the South.:) Haven't heard anything about the South Ward or my honorable councilman in a while. Anybody know anything thats going on in the South.

JoefromPGH
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
That's what I was thinking but I thought the Newark Speaks family may have a little more insight than I would as a resident of the South.:)

Those young ladies are getting a lot of fan(ny) fare. Is that going to be OJ's huge poster on Elizabeth Ave?

I can see it now:

"Re-elect Oscar James---he will fanny in progress and change!"