PDA

View Full Version : The Spirit of the Holidays

Miss Tam-Tam
11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
As long as there are people lining up in the middle of the night to buy whatever, we are no where near what was suffered in the Great Depression. As long as consumers trample and stomp to death other human beings in order to buy "things," this spirit of the holidays as we know it is a mockery. What has happened to us?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/walmart_worker_is_trampled_to.html

Wal-Mart worker is trampled to death when Long Island store opens
by The Associated Press
Friday November 28, 2008, 11:23 AM

A Wal-Mart worker in Long Island, New York died after a throng of unruly shoppers broke down the doors and trampled him moments after the store opened early today for day-after-Thanksgiving bargain hunting, police said.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., in Bentonville, Ark., would not confirm the reports of a stampede at the Valley Stream outlet but said a "medical emergency" had caused them to close the store.

"Local authorities are looking into the situation," said Wal-Mart representative Dan Fogleman. "Until such time that they've completed their assessment it would be inappropriate for me to share any additional information."

The 34-year-old Wal-Mart worker was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., Nassau County police said. The exact cause of death had not been determined, and the man's name was not released.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman and three other shoppers suffered minor injuries and also were taken to hospitals for observation, said Nassau County police Lt. Michael Fleming of the Fifth Squad.

Police said the shoppers knocked the man to the ground at 5:03 a.m., three minutes after the store opened. It wasn't immediately clear how large the crowd was.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores Friday in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it's historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

Many stores open early and stay open late. The Valley Stream Wal-Mart usually opens at 9 a.m.

Nassau County police were at the scene investigating.

Miss Tam-Tam
11-28-2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.newsroomamerica.com/usa/story.php?id=439053

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

JoefromPGH
11-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Miss Tam,

I read this just before coming on here.

What are we (humans) becoming?

LastCubanStanding
11-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Miss Tam,

Savages.

Outside
11-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Savages.

that was a quote from a customer who was there.

Hots in the Ironbound
11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Miss Tam,

You see, people have become programmed to feel that these sales are events of a lifetime. Or simply events similiar to a Giants game or Yankees game to attend. Did you attend New Year's in Times Square? Did you go to the Giants game? Did you wait all night long in line for Walmart to open at 5 am? Sadly, these people are convinced that today was the best day to get a bargain.

sjsweetheart
11-28-2008, 08:34 PM
....tsk tsk tsk; I read that today too! :(

John360
11-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I read that the woman fortunately did not miscarry. But Jesus really, unbelievable! :mad: :eek:

Make Newark Clean
11-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Deep-discounts before dawn, the latest megacorporate cry for America's underpaid classes to embrace the debt up to the sharecropping sweet spot dubbed "Black Friday."

Doorbusters, as some retailers call their merchandise markdowns, is a term that didn't just happen. The wonder is that such tramplings aren't much more widespread.

If sports shopping is here to stay, this Long Island Walmart, being the outlier, should be examined for what not to do. Crowds -- mobs -- have always been known to take on a life of their own if mishandled.

^

brotherderek
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
is a product of satan..No pity on earth can I have for anyone who courts Hell on earth.it is only for our mayor and his family and friends..The legal KKK

LastCubanStanding
11-29-2008, 10:08 PM
is a product of satan..No pity on earth can I have for anyone who courts Hell on earth.it is only for our mayor and his family and friends..The legal KKK

What a moronic post. :cool:

Mark J.
11-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Really, at least try to make some sense.