PDA

View Full Version : Booker is leading in the 2010 election already

jimmyr
12-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Newark Mayor Cory Booker is viewed favorably by 80 percent of likely voters in the next city election, while 72 percent don't know the only other declared mayoral candidate, former Essex County prosecutor Clifford Minor, according to an internal poll for Booker's campaign obtained by The Star- Ledger.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-21-2008, 10:49 AM
:rolleyes: Newark Mayor Cory Booker is viewed favorably by 80 percent of likely voters in the next city election, while 72 percent don't know the only other declared mayoral candidate, former Essex County prosecutor Clifford Minor, according to an internal poll for Booker's campaign obtained by The Star- Ledger.

Your kidding me right? Do you know how difficult it is to take an accurate poll in the City of Newark? To take such a poll this early is an obvious sign of vulnerability. I mean just read between the lines of this statement. 80% of those polled would vote for Booker while 72% don't know who Minor is. How could you know who you going to vote for until you hear from all candidates and know what they stand for and wish to accomplish?

I would like to know how many people were polled and a breakdown of where these people live in the city that were polled. If the people in Booker's Campaign felt it necessary to release this to the press, I'm sure they won't mind giving us all the rest of the information that I mention here..:rolleyes: :) :eek:

newarkcentral
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
:eek: Jesus Christ could not poll 80% in Newark:rolleyes:

Young Hal
12-21-2008, 11:56 AM
an 80% approval rating is unheard of. It is shocking that the Booker Camp believes such ridiculous numbers. It is egregious that the Star Ledger would present these Polling Numbers as fact.

I am not saying that Mayor Booker's approval rating cannot be high. It may very well be. I am just saying that an 80% approval rating is assuredly outside the realm of reason. The Mayor would be hard pressed to find an 80% approval rating in City Hall.

It is unfortunate that it appears that the Booker team is trying to sure up re-election on the back of weak polling data instead of on their record of tangible substantive improvement for the citizens of Newark.

I am really waiting to see the open and honest government that we were promised...:(

Mark J.
12-21-2008, 01:16 PM
And I want my job back, but that ain't gonna happen either.

5Reasons
12-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Indeed, Newark is very difficult to poll and this poll just doesn't pass the smell test. On its face, it appears invalid (face validity standard is not met). Look, the general economic mood of the country would hamper ANY elected official from getting to 80% and Booker is no exception. I mean, really now, if Bloomberg doesn't have 80%, then who would? My guess is that the real Booker approval rating may be (MAY BE) somewhere in the high 50s or low 60s (MAYBE).

Booker probably does get an 80% approval rating on the crime issue, which is still the straw that stirs the cup in this town. As long as he remains high on this one area, then he should still be favored to win, but not by the same numbers he did in 2006. But is there any other issue where Booker would get even a 60% approval rating? Would Booker even break 50% approval on the issue of contracts to insiders? What about taxes? Or wasteful spending? Or his legislative agenda? Or economic development? How about cleanliness? You see that's really the Booker promise and problem at this point. All of his success is built on one issue: CRIME. That's it. The only other thing he has going for him is the crooks and thieves slobbering to get back into office. Their antics make Booker look more reasonable.

I don't know what Booker paid for this poll, but he was robbed. As stated earlier, Booker wouldn't have to pay for any poll if he just got down to business of putting Newark on the right track.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Even Sharpe NEVER held an 80% approval rating IN HIS BEST DAYS!

5Reasons
12-21-2008, 02:57 PM

John, what's really telling about this poll is that it was conducted in the first place. What's also interesting is that after he got the results, he then pushed the story onto the Fox Ledger who, promptly, ran with it. Is this even news? Can the Fox Ledger at least present an unbiased, unpaid by Booker poll to report on his "approval." Sheesh, Booker probably doesn't even have an 80% approval rating with City Hall workers for crying out loud.

Booker knows enough about Newark to know that there is no such thing as a poll that can get to 3% margin of error. There is NONE! Anyone that bills you for that just took you to the cleaners.

Mark J.
12-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, you are only as good as last year's murder rate, so this poll is at least a year too early, and there aren't even any likely candidates in the mix yet, so it's a pointless exercise (which I'm sure we paid for) to make the feel good mayor feel even better. As I said before, the man only hears praise about himself, even if he has to manufacture it.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Indeed, Newark is very difficult to poll and this poll just doesn't pass the smell test. On its face, it appears invalid (facility validity standard is not met). Look, the general economic mood of the country would hamper ANY elected official from getting to 80% and Booker is no exception. I mean, really now, if Bloomberg doesn't have 80%, then who would? My guess is that the real Booker approval rating may be (MAY BE) somewhere in the high 50s or low 60s (MAYBE).

Booker probably does get an 80% approval rating on the crime issue, which is still the straw that stirs the cup in this town. As long as he remains high on this one area, then he should still be favored to win, but not by the same numbers he did in 2010. But is there any other issue where Booker would get even a 60% approval rating? Would Booker even break 50% approval on the issue of contracts to insiders? What about taxes? Or wasteful spending? Or his legislative agenda? Or economic development? How about cleanliness? You see that's really the Booker promise and problem at this point. All of his success is built on one issue: CRIME. That's it. The only other thing he has going for him is the crooks and thieves slobbering to get back into office. Their antics make Booker look more reasonable.

I don't know what Booker paid for this poll, but he was robbed. As stated earlier, Booker wouldn't have to pay for any poll if he just got down to business of putting Newark on the right track.

Please explain what improvments have been made on overall crime. Even with a lower homicide number (true number that is) overall crime is not down. Homicide numbers will fluctuate year to year. There are just too many firearms in the wrong hands that can make those homicide numbers jump at anytime. You have also had infighting between the Police Director and the Chief that has led to the largest city in the State of New Jersey without a Police Chief. A city the size of Newark without a Chief is nothing short of a disgrace.

BTW: The NPD takes hundreds of firearms off the streets of Newark every year. They have been for decades. Nothing has changed in that area. I just wanted to put that out there before we get some numbers on that issue.

5Reasons
12-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Homicide numbers may fluctuate from year to year, but a decline in 30 is no "fluctuation" that's something that's real. I mean, if you're arguing that it's just lucky or some level of randomness that produced the decline, then you're still not acknowleding the one area where there have been distinct accomplishments.

I would argue that Booker would argue that he's done a lot of work to fight against gangs. Between the Feds, the AG and McCarthy, I think Booker can honestly look you in the eye and say that gangs are not as strong and organized as they were when he took office. He can also honestly say that the previous administration looked the other way when it came to the growing gang problem. Either way, the issue is most likely a winner for Booker. McCarthy has done a solid a job.

The administration has invested in technology upgrades for our police officers. Again, you don't want to go there. Did you already forget the fact that officers had to use stone tablets to fill out reports? Or the fact that they had a bathroom that you wouldn't let the someone on death row use? And let's not forget some of Sharpe's final "innovative" crime strategies like, ehem, GRANDMA ON PATROL.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Don't knock the Granny Patrol Program!:eek:

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Homicide numbers may fluctuate from year to year, but a decline in 30 is no "fluctuation" that's something that's real. I mean, if you're arguing that it's just lucky or some level of randomness that produced the decline, then you're still not acknowleding the one area where there have been distinct accomplishments.

I would argue that Booker would argue that he's done a lot of work to fight against gangs. Between the Feds, the AG and McCarthy, I think Booker can honestly look you in the eye and say that gangs are not as strong and organized as they were when he took office. He can also honestly say that the previous administration looked the other way when it came to the growing gang problem. Either way, the issue is most likely a winner for Booker. McCarthy has done a solid a job.

The administration has invested in technology upgrades for our police officers. Again, you don't want to go there. Did you already forget the fact that officers had to use stone tablets to fill out reports? Or the fact that they had a bathroom that you wouldn't let the someone on death row use? And let's not forget some of Sharpe's final "innovative" crime strategies like, ehem, GRANDMA ON PATROL.

1. Gangs are more organized than they have ever been.

2. I know for a fact that Director Rankin wanted to get the job done
with the gang issue and never got a chance to get it done. (No fault of his)
He requested personnel and resources and they never came his way. When
you look at it during the current administration, Did it make a difference?
No: (4) college students murdered by MS-13 with this current
administration denying gang involvement all the way up to the point they
couldn't deny it any further. BTW: NPD has worked with the FED’s for
decades.

3.TheNPD is still in the dark ages when it comes to technology. The
computer system that has been set up only works in the precincts and not
in the vehicles. Cameras in the streets were coming anyway. Also explain
how a town the size of East Orange had this technology two years before
the NPD. Most vehicles are not safe for the officers to drive.

4.Painting a bathroom in a condemned building does not constitute an
improvement. The structure is still dangerous to those that occupy it.
The ceilings still fall down on officers. The buildings are filled with asbestos.

5. The fundamentals of law enforcement have not been changed by one man.
The policies of the department have not changed. Officers are overworked.
The department is understaffed.

6. Grandma on Patrol to Clergy on Patrol...What is the difference?

Miss Tam-Tam
12-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Newarkers are not stupid people. That 80 percent approval rating is so over the top, it just undermines Booker's "internal" poll all the way around. It wasn't necessary because I believe that Booker will be re-elected. The folks who support Booker will come out and vote for him; the ones that don't will stay home. But as any elected official knows, assumptions of victory are a mistake. My guess is that this poll is a ploy to garner support for Booker and a sign, as some here have suggested, that Bookerites are concerned. I think this was born out of the fact that Booker can't seem to back a winner to save his life.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1229837159278750.xml&coll=1

Internal poll: 80% approve of Booker
Likely voters believe crime still a top issue
Sunday, December 21, 2008
BY JEFFERY C. MAYS
Star-Ledger Staff

Newark Mayor Cory Booker is viewed favorably by 80 percent of likely voters in the next city election, while 72 percent don't know the only other declared mayoral candidate, former Essex County prosecutor Clifford Minor, according to an internal poll for Booker's campaign obtained by The Star- Ledger.

The poll provides insight into the mood of the city as Booker gets ready to kick off his 2010 re-election campaign next spring. Crime and violence remain the two largest is sues facing the city, according to 35 percent of respondents. Fifty-eight percent of those surveyed say Newark is headed in the right direction while 30 percent say it is on the wrong track.

Booker should also avoid politics while focusing on governing, continue to distance himself from Newark's history of corruption and "demonstrate a connection with ordinary residents" by showing how progress on issues like crime, jobs and schools affect individuals. Voters feel there has been progress but are "still aware of the challenge of corruption."

The poll also showed that Booker has some weak spots. Many polled believe that Newark is still a work in progress. Sixty-three percent of respondents said Newark has made "some progress" while 21 percent said the city has made great progress.

The poll found that Booker is still vulnerable to the racial and class-based attacks that former Mayor Sharpe James successfully used to his advantage during the 2002 mayoral race that Booker lost. When presented with negatives such as those questioning his authenticity as a black man, his status as an outsider, his relationships with powerful people outside of the city and city hall job cuts and layoffs, Booker's approval rating slips 10 points to 70 percent.

In a predominantly black city, the mayor also has lower approval ratings among African-Americans when compared to whites and Latinos. For example, only 69 percent of blacks agreed with the statement that Booker is "bringing real progress on the issues that matter most," compared with 85 percent of whites and Latinos, a difference of almost 19 percent.

African-American single mothers were also more closely split when asked if they were optimistic about the direction the city was headed in. Forty-four percent of black single mothers, who make up 8 percent of the city's electorate, said the city was headed in the wrong direction while 41 percent said it was headed in the right direction.

Booker declined to comment on the poll and Minor did not respond to calls for comment. Booker's former chief of staff and current campaign manager Pablo Fonseca called the results "phenomenal."

"The goal is not to be in an election in 2010," Fonseca said of the lead they are hoping to build. "The mayor's number one issue was public safety and the results speak for themselves."

As of Thursday there were 64 homicides in Newark compared with 96 this time last year, a 33.5 percent reduction.

The poll of 896 registered voters who voted in the 2006 election or have registered since then was conducted from Nov. 17 to Nov. 22 via telephone interviews and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.27 percent. The Benenson Strategy Group, who served as President-elect Barack Obama's pollsters, conducted the survey. Pollster Joel Benenson said the sampling shows how much Booker has achieved so far.

"His success comes from the actions he has taken. People support his agenda and he should focus on the agenda and not the politics," said Benenson. "You don't call elections this far out but there is no road map to suggest somebody in Cliff Minor's position has a path to victory."

Among the poll's other findings:

Fifty-five percent of those polled said Newark has serious problems but has begun to make progress, while 15 percent said the city is not addressing it's most serious problems and 26 percent said Newark has turned a corner.

Sixty-three percent of those polled said they would definitely vote to re-elect Booker while 25 percent said they may or may not or don't know and 13 percent said they definitely would not vote to re- elect him.

Not everyone finds the poll results credible. Rahaman Muhammad, president of SEIU Local 617, which represent hundreds of city workers, said Booker's candidates would not have lost several district leader races and his candidate would have won the special Central Ward election if his approval rating were 80 percent.

"It's far-fetched and hard to believe that Cory Booker has an 80 percent rating because I don't think his policies, aside from police director Garry McCarthy's efforts at reducing homicides, have benefited residents," said Muhammad.

The Rev. Jethro C. James Jr., pastor of Paradise Baptist Church and president of the Newark-North Jersey Committee of Black Churchmen, laughed out loud when told of the 80 percent favorability rating. That 72 percent of those polled said they were unfamiliar with Minor also makes him question the results.

"Who did he talk to? In Sharpe James' best days, 80 percent of Newarkers didn't like him," said Jethro James, who is not related to Sharpe James.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Newarkers are not stupid people. That 80 percent approval rating is so over the top, it just undermines Booker's "internal" poll all the way around. It wasn't necessary because I believe that Booker will be re-elected. The folks who support Booker will come out and vote for him; the ones that don't will stay home. But as any elected official knows, assumptions of victory are a mistake. My guess is that this poll is a ploy to garner support for Booker and a sign, as some here have suggested, that Bookerites are concerned. I think this was born out of the fact that Booker can't seem to back a winner to save his life.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1229837159278750.xml&coll=1

Internal poll: 80% approve of Booker
Likely voters believe crime still a top issue
Sunday, December 21, 2008
BY JEFFERY C. MAYS
Star-Ledger Staff

The poll provides insight into the mood of the city as Booker gets ready to kick off his 2010 re-election campaign next spring. Crime and violence remain the two largest is sues facing the city, according to 35 percent of respondents. Fifty-eight percent of those surveyed say Newark is headed in the right direction while 30 percent say it is on the wrong track.

Booker should also avoid politics while focusing on governing, continue to distance himself from Newark's history of corruption and "demonstrate a connection with ordinary residents" by showing how progress on issues like crime, jobs and schools affect individuals. Voters feel there has been progress but are "still aware of the challenge of corruption."

The poll also showed that Booker has some weak spots. Many polled believe that Newark is still a work in progress. Sixty-three percent of respondents said Newark has made "some progress" while 21 percent said the city has made great progress.

The poll found that Booker is still vulnerable to the racial and class-based attacks that former Mayor Sharpe James successfully used to his advantage during the 2002 mayoral race that Booker lost. When presented with negatives such as those questioning his authenticity as a black man, his status as an outsider, his relationships with powerful people outside of the city and city hall job cuts and layoffs, Booker's approval rating slips 10 points to 70 percent.

In a predominantly black city, the mayor also has lower approval ratings among African-Americans when compared to whites and Latinos. For example, only 69 percent of blacks agreed with the statement that Booker is "bringing real progress on the issues that matter most," compared with 85 percent of whites and Latinos, a difference of almost 19 percent.

African-American single mothers were also more closely split when asked if they were optimistic about the direction the city was headed in. Forty-four percent of black single mothers, who make up 8 percent of the city's electorate, said the city was headed in the wrong direction while 41 percent said it was headed in the right direction.

Booker declined to comment on the poll and Minor did not respond to calls for comment. Booker's former chief of staff and current campaign manager Pablo Fonseca called the results "phenomenal."
"The goal is not to be in an election in 2010," Fonseca said of the lead they are hoping to build. "The mayor's number one issue was public safety and the results speak for themselves."

As of Thursday there were 64 homicides in Newark compared with 96 this time last year, a 33.5 percent reduction.

The poll of 896 registered voters who voted in the 2006 election or have registered since then was conducted from Nov. 17 to Nov. 22 via telephone interviews and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.27 percent. The Benenson Strategy Group, who served as President-elect Barack Obama's pollsters, conducted the survey. Pollster Joel Benenson said the sampling shows how much Booker has achieved so far.

"His success comes from the actions he has taken. People support his agenda and he should focus on the agenda and not the politics," said Benenson. "You don't call elections this far out but there is no road map to suggest somebody in Cliff Minor's position has a path to victory."

Among the poll's other findings:

Fifty-five percent of those polled said Newark has serious problems but has begun to make progress, while 15 percent said the city is not addressing it's most serious problems and 26 percent said Newark has turned a corner.

Sixty-three percent of those polled said they would definitely vote to re-elect Booker while 25 percent said they may or may not or don't know and 13 percent said they definitely would not vote to re- elect him.

Not everyone finds the poll results credible. Rahaman Muhammad, president of SEIU Local 617, which represent hundreds of city workers, said Booker's candidates would not have lost several district leader races and his candidate would have won the special Central Ward election if his approval rating were 80 percent.

"It's far-fetched and hard to believe that Cory Booker has an 80 percent rating because I don't think his policies, aside from police director Garry McCarthy's efforts at reducing homicides, have benefited residents," said Muhammad.

The Rev. Jethro C. James Jr., pastor of Paradise Baptist Church and president of the Newark-North Jersey Committee of Black Churchmen, laughed out loud when told of the 80 percent favorability rating. That 72 percent of those polled said they were unfamiliar with Minor also makes him question the results.

"Who did he talk to? In Sharpe James' best days, 80 percent of Newarkers didn't like him," said Jethro James, who is not related to Sharpe James.

I could not find the full article. The highlighted sections of this answered all of my questions.

chad1
12-21-2008, 07:05 PM

These pollsters are meant to blind everyone's eyes while they go around hiding the truth. You can steal the fruits but not the roots.

I don't want here about this 80% approval rating, when my phone nor the other 100 odd registered people I know in this town were ever polled. Listen, if you polled folks in Manhattan and L.A. well then Booker got his 80% for sure.

brotherderek
12-21-2008, 07:45 PM
to see if he could run for county executive..Fonesca, has been on ferry street,talking it up ,between free drinks..Try hair plugs and tape on the mouth.

concerned2
12-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Majority of booker votes will come from the north/east wards. His main concern is central/south wards so my guess is this poll is bogus!:)

Maximus Returns
12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
This alleged poll reminds me of the pumped-up beach boy. Big muscles, looks strong but would crumble in a real fight with someone who knows how to fight and isn't scared to throw down.

This Christmas present from the S-L is part of a larger strategy of intimidating would-be candidates from running in 2010. My advice to contenders: ignore the polls and come out swinging. What's to lose? Worked for Buster Douglas.

After all, the last time the mayor was in a knockdown/dragout was in '02. We know how that ended.

John360
12-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Ok 896 - that's a decent number. But I'm always suspect of phone-only polls. I mean most intelligent hardworking people I know either don't have the time or would hang up immediately thinking it was a telemarketer. Really who were they polling?

JoefromPGH
12-22-2008, 04:52 AM
So-called internal polls are usually self-serving. I remember Senator McCain's "internal polls" had him winning the election. Now if Gallup gave Booker 80%, I'd say it was creditable.

Make Newark Clean
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Newark Mayor Cory Booker is viewed favorably by 80 percent of likely voters in the next city election.... Fifty-eight percent of those surveyed say Newark is headed in the right direction....

The above quote is the paradox that the Counterattacks, John Jameses and Brother Dereks of this board need to really pay attention to. I think the poll is correct.

Booker should ... [focus] on governing, continue to distance himself from Newark's history of corruption and "demonstrate a connection with ordinary residents" by showing how progress on issues like crime, jobs and schools affect individuals. Voters feel there has been progress but are "still aware of the challenge of corruption."

Likely due to years of corruption dating back to Prohibition (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,941776,00.html), to Addonizio (http://www.paperlessarchives.com/boiardo.html) to Gibson (indicted/acquitted (http://www.lasentinel.net/Kenneth-Ken-Gibson.html)) to Sharpe (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/newark_ex_mayor_sharpe_james_convicted.html), the bar is set so low that people who think Newark is on the wrong path support Cory Booker. The opposition needs to take heed and calibrate its dissent. The Booker Phenomenon is real. Any attempt to paint Booker as corrupt portrays him as no better than they are at best. Booker's likable celebrity combined with considerable resources to fine-tune his media image provides cover for his comparatively smallscale unseemly politics. It's all perception. Booker could be said to take part in politics as usual only because that's what's needed to get things done in a predatory system that predates him.

The poll found that Booker is still vulnerable to the racial and class-based attacks .... When presented with negatives such as those questioning his authenticity as a black man, his status as an outsider, his relationships with powerful people outside of the city and city hall job cuts and layoffs, Booker's approval rating slips 10 points to 70 percent.

Although 70 percent is a high approval rating in and of itself, what does it say about the pathetic nature of the opposition when a few negatives are mentioned about Booker and he loses 12 1/2 percent of the love!? The real lesson here is Booker has qualities that transcend the issues. Ad hominem attacks on Booker will fail against his formidable campaign warchest. Of couse, six-figure salaries and 6Sixty are legitimate issues, but if the same people who draw attention to those issues are also part of a hateful smear campaign, those issues lose impact. Think of it this way, diehard Mets fans hating on the Yankees doesn't erase the Yankees' winning World Series history. So what if the Yankees success is because it's the best team money can buy. Only the most ardent, hateful Met follower would support, say, Los Angeles over the Yankees for the World Series. The rest -- most of us -- just like a winner. For some when reminded of the many seven-figure salaries on the Yanks, the perennial winners lose their mystique, but they still win. In the same way, whipping up xenophobia against Cory to deliver his votes to the Old Guard backfires.

Regardless of the shrill voices of dissent, 69 percent African American support is pretty substantial! Eighty-five percent approval among whites and Latinos is not terribly surprising considering Cory's all around high numbers and his outsider background, which many of them find reason to identify. Whites and Latinos may be more apt to feel like outsiders in Newark government themselves.

In an incessant backdrop of guns and violence, mothers worry about their children. They want to believe beyond what their eyes and senses see, but they know deep down inside that Cory can only hope to hold back the tide.

This is where the metal meets the railroad. Throw in some new refurbished parks, too, for the kiddies to play in and Cory will reach these voters on election day. Remember, the bar is low.

The Obama polltakers.... hmmm. Cory does attract attention.

Again, I think 80% approval in November 2008 is not impossible given a 63% "definite" vote for Booker the poll also indicates. As we know all too well on these boards, detractors make a lot more noise than their numbers may indicate.

Gotta go back to work. :)

ironman
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Make Newark Clean is ablolutely on point!

counterattack
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
[COLOR="White"]

The above quote is the paradox that the Counterattacks, John Jameses and Brother Dereks of this board need to really pay attention to. I think the poll is correct.

Likely due to years of corruption dating back to Prohibition (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,941776,00.html), to Addonizio (http://www.paperlessarchives.com/boiardo.html) to Gibson (indicted/acquitted (http://www.lasentinel.net/Kenneth-Ken-Gibson.html)) to Sharpe (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/newark_ex_mayor_sharpe_james_convicted.html), the bar is set so low that people who think Newark is on the wrong path support Cory Booker. The opposition needs to take heed and calibrate its dissent. The Booker Phenomenon is real. Any attempt to paint Booker as corrupt portrays him as no better than they are at best. Booker's likable celebrity combined with considerable resources to fine-tune his media image provides cover for unseemly politics. It's all perception. Booker could be said to take part in politics as usual only because that's what's needed to get things done in a predatory system that predates him.

Although 70 percent is a high approval rating in and of itself, what does it say about the pathetic nature of the opposition when a few negatives are mentioned about Booker's and he loses 12 1/2 percent of the love!? The real lesson here is Booker has qualities that transcend the issues. Ad hominem attacks on Booker will fail against his formidable campaign warchest. Of couse, six-figure salaries and 6Sixty are legitimate issues, but if the same people who draw attention to those issues are also part of a hateful smear campaign, those issues lose impact. Think of it this way, diehard Mets fans hating on the Yankees doesn't erase the Yankees' winning World Series history. So what if the Yankees success is because it's the best team money can buy. Only the most ardent, hateful Met follower would support, say, Los Angeles over the Yankees for the World Series. The rest -- most of us -- just like a winner. For some when reminded of the many seven-figure salaries on the Yanks, the perennial winners lose their mystique, but they still win. In the same way, whipping up xenophobia against Cory to deliver his votes to the Old Guard backfires.

Regardless of the shrill voices of dissent, 69 percent African American support is pretty substantial! Eighty-five percent approval among whites and Latinos is not terribly surprising considering Cory's all around high numbers and his outsider background, with whom many of them find reason to identify. Whites and Latinos may be more apt to feel like outsiders in Newark government themselves.

In an incessant backdrop of guns and violence, mothers worry about their children. They want to believe beyond what their eyes and senses see, but they know deep down inside that Cory can only hope to hold back the tide.

This is where the metal meets the railroad. Throw in some new refurbished parks, too, for the kiddies to play in and Cory will reach these voters on election day. Remember, the bar is low.

The Obama polltakers.... hmmm. Cory does attract attention.

Again, I think 80% approval in November 2008 is not impossible given a 63% "definite" vote for Booker the poll also indicates. As we know all too well on these boards, detractors make a lot more noise than their numbers may indicate.

Gotta go back to work. :)

MNC I will be posting my opinion about Booker's internal poll in my next column post. I will concede however that Booker positives are greater than his negatives but 80% is not an accurate approval rating. In addition I see you called myself , dereck and John out as if we are the only ones who don't believe the numbers when the fact is other than your recent post no one on this board has agreed with these numbers. I hope you will get back to the MNC that use to be objective and read my next post before you assume what Im thinking. The Ledger only printed a small reflection of what I actually stated.

Make Newark Clean
12-22-2008, 03:13 PM
MNC I will be posting my opinion about Booker's internal poll in my next column post. I will concede however that Booker positives are greater than his negatives but 80% is not an accurate approval rating. In addition I see you called myself , dereck and John out as if we are the only ones who don't believe the numbers when the fact is other than your recent post no one on this board has agreed with these numbers. I hope you will get back to the MNC that use to be objective and read my next post before you assume what Im thinking. The Ledger only printed a small reflection of what I actually stated.

My only point here, Counter, is that the 80% "favorablility" rating is not an 80% "approval" rating. First things first.

I saw your comments in the Ledger so I used your name to illustrate that difference, nothing more.

counterattack
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
My only point here, Counter, is that the 80% "favorablility" rating is not an 80% "approval" rating. First things first.

I saw your comments in the Ledger so I used your name to illustrate that difference, nothing more.

Actually MNC not only did you point out my comments you pointed out Johns and derrick comments to as if they are the only ones not agreeing with the numbers, 5,tam, and a host of others also didn't agree.

Make Newark Clean
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually MNC not only did you point out my comments you pointed out Johns and derrick comments to as if they are the only ones not agreeing with the numbers, 5,tam, and a host of others also didn't agree.

Keep in mind that this was a scientific poll, not just some political declaration. If you have an issue with their methodolgy, please post it.

Okay, you covered the other names who disagree with Cory's favorability. (I also thought the poll's favorability rating was too large until I contemplated the findings.) My point has always been what the poll actually says: it clearly indicates the differences between "favorable" and "approve." I named you with JohnJames and Brotherderek only because you supported Bell against Booker's Osborne in the last election. You also have commented on Booker's lack of coattails and how that makes him vulnerable in 2010. The poll doesn't contradict what happens when Booker backs a candidate. Booker's approval underwhelms his favorability. In other words, there are a whole lot of people who admire and/or "favor" (perhaps even take pride in) our black Rhodes scholar but think his leadership still leaves much to be desired. If its any consolation, I'm part of that nuance.

The only point I ever intended to state is that the Old Guard will not win in 2010 painting Booker as corrupt, especially if its based on the flimsiness of a cruddy, and yes, overly expensive website or for his six-figure-income hires. I'm far from a wholehearted Booker supporter, but I do favor the new direction he proclaims versus going backward. I know it's early, but if Minor expects to win, he must stand for something other than just Booker hate. (Mayor Minor sounds too funny.) Booker has already got murder stats on his side so Minor may not get major traction there. But there must be other positions where he could stake out a positive contrast versus Booker. Ultimately, that's more meaningful than the green-eyed outsider stuff. Heck, if Cory bought a house in the city and got married (especially the former) the outsider appellation would fade really fast.

I apologize for distracting you by given you the impression I'm singling you out. It wasn't about whether you believed the scientific polls' "favorability" numbers or not, but about what the poll really states.

brotherderek
12-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Until Booker Is gone...When he goes to jail it will send a clear message..Good Government For people not money..Glad ,he is never in Newark ,It is a blessing.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Keep in mind that this was a scientific poll, not just some political declaration. If you have an issue with their methodolgy, please post it.

Okay, you covered the other names who disagree with Cory's favorability. (I also thought the poll's favorability rating was too large until I contemplated the findings.) My point has always been what the poll actually says: it clearly indicates the differences between "favorable" and "approve." I named you with JohnJames and Brotherderek only because you supported Bell against Booker's Osborne in the last election. You also have commented on Booker's lack of coattails and how that makes him vulnerable in 2010. The poll doesn't contradict what happens when Booker backs a candidate. Booker's approval underwhelms his favorability. In other words, there are a whole lot of people who admire and/or "favor" (perhaps even take pride in) our black Rhodes scholar but think his leadership still leaves much to be desired. If its any consolation, I'm part of that nuance.

The only point I ever intended to state is that the Old Guard will not win in 2010 painting Booker as corrupt, especially if its based on the flimsiness of a cruddy, and yes, overly expensive website or for his six-figure-income hires. I'm far from a wholehearted Booker supporter, but I do favor the new direction he proclaims versus going backward. I know it's early, but if Minor expects to win, he must stand for something other than just Booker hate. (Mayor Minor sounds too funny.) Booker has already got murder stats on his side so Minor may not get major traction there. But there must be other positions where he could stake out a positive contrast versus Booker. Ultimately, that's more meaningful than the green-eyed outsider stuff. Heck, if Cory bought a house in the city and got married (especially the former) the outsider appellation would fade really fast.

I apologize for distracting you by given you the impression I'm singling you out. It wasn't about whether you believed the scientific polls' "favorability" numbers or not, but about what the poll really states.

Could you please expand on the scientific methodoligy that was used in obtaining the results of this poll?

5Reasons
12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Derick, I have to ask the question. Is Cory more crooked than Sharpe? If so, how do you know? In addition, if you're so certain Booker is doing crime, then how come you haven't contacted the feds? You don't have to hope against hope for 2010 when you trudge out some fossil, you can get it done today.

You see, it's nitwits like Derick is the reason I'll probably vote for Booker again. I'll do anything to keep you crying for another 100 years. Your thin agenda, which has nothing at all to do with IMPROVING Newark, is easy to see. I just want you to know, brotha, where I stand. Hope you haven't bet your rent check on a 3rd rate prosecutor making it to Broad. :eek:

brotherderek
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
reason Newark is what it is...you get paid for what you post....I must say way to much...Get a job and a good reason to to share your nonsense.

ironman
12-23-2008, 10:23 AM
My sources in City Hall tell me that the poll results were high for Amador in the East and Ramos in the North. Booker will get in the mid-seventies in those Wards if he runs with them. In the West and South he gets in the mid and low 60's, respectively.

chad1
12-23-2008, 11:18 AM

MNC

You hit the nail on a few things, mainly that An old Sharpette running agaisnt Booker will not be viable. Absolutely not. What the City of Newark needs in order to beat Cory Booker is to spport and push some of the Shining Stars that already exist in Newark.

I am sick and tired of people having us think that Cory Booker is the only Solution: there is no such thing. I agree Clifford is not that solution but a young. highly respected, level headed, Smart, Brave, Team Player, Non-Inferior, Newark Born and Raised Young Man or Woman is the Leader Newark Needs in 2010 and will hopefully get.

Newark is filled with individuals suited for this tough job but possibly put off by the sharks in the ocean. I'm talking about individuals that are not on the radar but who work tirelessly to make Newark a better place on a daily basis.

These aren't individuals, who have the backing of Mildred, Sharp or Cory but individuals who have the love and support of the people in the community. Individuals who aren't lackys but real warriors in the quest to save our community.

Talk is brewing in the air of certain propects and as elders in the community, now is the time for us to come out to support them and allow them to work in repairing this City.

All these polls, the stash of cash, cheese and steak dinners don't mean a thing when the right individuals join the race.

Barack has definatley demonstrated that all things are possible. Indeed he had a whole treasure chest to aid in his victory but the turning point and the leap to his victory all occured with the recent economic downturn in the US's economy. If that had not occirred and McCain had not Blundered, Barack may not have won.

So today we are at 80% for Cory Booker, Congratulations because 18 months from now, we could be at 8%. Let's keep hope alive!

karimah
12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
MNC

You hit the nail on a few things, mainly that An old Sharpette running agaisnt Booker will not be viable. Absolutely not. What the City of Newark needs in order to beat Cory Booker is to spport and push some of the Shining Stars that already exist in Newark.

I am sick and tired of people having us think that Cory Booker is the only Solution: there is no such thing. I agree Clifford is not that solution but a young. highly respected, level headed, Smart, Brave, Team Player, Non-Inferior, Newark Born and Raised Young Man or Woman is the Leader Newark Needs in 2010 and will hopefully get.
Newark is filled with individuals suited for this tough job but possibly put off by the sharks in the ocean. I'm talking about individuals that are not on the radar but who work tirelessly to make Newark a better place on a daily basis.

These aren't individuals, who have the backing of Mildred, Sharp or Cory but individuals who have the love and support of the people in the community. Individuals who aren't lackys but real warriors in the quest to save our community.

Talk is brewing in the air of certain propects and as elders in the community, now is the time for us to come out to support them and allow them to work in repairing this City.

All these polls, the stash of cash, cheese and steak dinners don't mean a thing when the right individuals join the race.

Barack has definatley demonstrated that all things are possible.

From the sound of this thread, it seems like your looking for a Woman to be Mayor of Newark :D

Make Newark Clean
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Could you please expand on the scientific methodoligy that was used in obtaining the results of this poll?

Huh?

Make Newark Clean
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
MNC

Barack has definatley demonstrated that all things are possible. Indeed he had a whole treasure chest to aid in his victory but the turning point and the leap to his victory all occured with the recent economic downturn in the US's economy. If that had not occirred and McCain had not Blundered, Barack may not have won.

So today we are at 80% for Cory Booker, Congratulations because 18 months from now, we could be at 8%. Let's keep hope alive!

From where I stand today, I'd vote for Ronald Rice The Younger in a minute. I cannot understand why he chooses to remain under Cory's shadow. It could be perfect. Rice runs for Mayor, Cory for Senator or Lt Governor, or even a high level Barack appointee. The more qualified folks out there looking after places like Newark, the better.

^

chad1
12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
From the sound of this thread, it seems like your looking for a Woman to be Mayor of Newark :D

I have always believed anything is possible. Many historical thnigs are happening, this would definatley be a Historic event to have a Woman elected as Mayor of Newark.

We have many Michelle Obama's that live in Newark, we just need to support them.

chad1
12-23-2008, 11:41 AM
From where I stand today, I'd vote for Ronald Rice The Younger in a minute. I cannot understand why he chooses to remain under Cory's shadow. It could be perfect. Rice runs for Mayor, Cory for Senator or Lt Governor, or even a high level Barack appointee. The more qualified folks out there looking after places like Newark, the better.

^

MNC--

Before you make that plege please research his voting record. I had very high hopes for Ron, but unfortunaltey, Ron has demonstrated that he isn't a leader but indeed a follower. Ron goes along to get along and that has been very disappointing.

I still will hold out hope that he will change and lead for the people and not based on how he can remain on Cory's ticket. That is not a true warrior.

Make Newark Clean
12-23-2008, 12:03 PM
MNC--

Before you make that plege please research his voting record. I had very high hopes for Ron, but unfortunaltey, Ron has demonstrated that he isn't a leader but indeed a follower. Ron goes along to get along and that has been very disappointing.

I still will hold out hope that he will change and lead for the people and not based on how he can remain on Cory's ticket. That is not a true warrior.

Wow, disappointing. :( I'll do more research. Let the truth lay were it may.

^

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Huh?

I will ask again. Could you please explain the scientific methodoligy that was used to obtain the results of this poll?

896 people, a fractional percentage of registered voters in Newark were polled to get these results. I am curious as to the exact scientific methodoligy or formula that you mentioned was.

It is an honest question. You may know something that I am missing in all of this.

Make Newark Clean
12-23-2008, 02:03 PM
You may know something that I am missing in all of this.

Come on. You must know it makes absolutely no sense to ask me that question so what's your real issue here? Is this a reading comprehension probem? Or the need to stir things up unnecessarily? Think. Is there some larger, ulterior point you have in mind? Again I ask: huh?

Here we go again. This board is not for this.

^

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Come on. You must know it makes absolutely no sense to ask me that question so what's your real issue here? Is this a reading comprehension probem? Or the need to stir things up unnecessarily? Think. Is there some larger, ulterior point you have in mind? Again I ask: huh?

Here we go again. This board is not for this.

^

It is not here we go again. You ask me a question and I answer it. To me it makes perfect sense to ask the question.

Does anyone else here think that I have not asked a perfectly valid question of MNC?

I wanted to know what type of formula (Scientific Methodoligy) was used to justify an 80% approval rating of a politician when only 896 of the thousands of registered voters in Newark were polled. Newark is very unique when it comes to elections. There is no oppositional party to contend with therefore I believe to get an accurate picture of what people are thinking going into an election you would have to poll a much larger portion of the city's population.

Questions that I was hoping MNC could answer.

1. How many people from each ward were polled?
2. What were the percentages in each ward?
3. Was this an independent poll or was the The Benenson Strategy Group hired by Booker?
4. Difference in age group and gender of the 896 polled?
5. What time of the day or night that these people were contacted?

BTW: All message boards (forums) are for informational purposes as well as a place for people to express and share their opinions. I don't understand your hostility MNC. Based on your posted statement I thought you had some information that would answer some of the above questions.

Make Newark Clean
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
There is no oppositional party to contend with therefore I believe to get an accurate picture of what people are thinking going into an election you would have to poll a much larger portion of the city's population.

What you "believe" is irrelevant. The poll is said to have been administered to scientific standards. All I tried to show is that ITS RESULTS can STILL ACCOMMODATE A LARGE SEGMENT OF NEWARKER'S NOT APPROVING of Booker's performance in City Hall. Go back and reread EVERYTHING I wrote about it.

Based on your posted statement I thought you had some information that would answer some of the above questions.

That's just it. Why would you think that I claim some insider information for lack of evidence of same? Why is it necessary? What "statement" led you to believe this? Think!

I did not commission the poll, but I won't say its incorrect because I have an INKLING or because IT JUST DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT. It MAY VERY WELL BE a flawed study. But it claims otherwise; therefore 896 people should be enough of a sampling. If you know any reason why it shouldn't be -- other than your intuition -- I'm open for correction. I posed this question in initial form to Counterattack, not you.

You missed the point completely. There's a difference between "approval" and "favorable." There is no reason for you to conclude, snort, chortle or otherwise believe that I had any extra knowledge on the execution of the poll. I never claimed it And it's NOT REQUIRED --yay IRRELEVANT -- to the point. Good day to you, sir. This is the just as inane as you accusing me of calling you white when I was talking about drug arrests being inextricably linked to race. You see what you want to see; therefore to engage you is, frankly, a waste of time. Ask me no more questions, please.

^

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-23-2008, 03:39 PM
What you "believe" is irrelevant. The poll is said to have been administered to scientific standards. All I tried to show is that ITS RESULTS can STILL ACCOMMODATE A LARGE SEGMENT OF NEWARKER'S NOT APPROVING of Booker's performance in City Hall. Go back and reread EVERYTHING I wrote about it.

That's just it. Why would you think that I claim some insider information for lack of evidence of same? Why is it necessary? What "statement" led you to believe this? Think!

I did not commission the poll, but I won't say its incorrect because I have an INKLING or because IT JUST DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT. It MAY VERY WELL BE a flawed study. But it claims otherwise; therefore 896 people should be enough of a sampling. If you know any reason why it shouldn't be -- other than your intuition -- I'm open for correction. I posed this question in initial form to Counterattack, not you.

You missed the point completely. There's a difference between "approval" and "favorable." There is no reason for you to conclude, snort, chortle or otherwise believe that I had any extra knowledge on the execution of the poll. I never claimed it And it's NOT REQUIRED --yay IRRELEVANT -- to the point. Good day to you, sir. This is the just as inane as you accusing me of calling you white when I was talking about drug arrests being inextricably linked to race. You see what you want to see; therefore to engage you is, frankly, a waste of time. Ask me no more questions, please.

^

The above is nothing short of a rant. I did not think you had an inside track on the poll itself. I simply asked you a question in reference to the term that you used to describe how this poll was done. You still haven't answered it. I won't ask you anymore questions.

"Good Day" to you also.

Mark J.
12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Polling is in no way an exact science. In fact, depending on the circumstances, it can be quite a form of art, particularly if you know what you want the results to be. It's a legitimate question.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Polling is in no way an exact science. In fact, depending on the circumstances, it can be quite a form of art, particularly if you know what you want the results to be. It's a legitimate question.

Thank you, Mark

Make Newark Clean
12-23-2008, 10:20 PM
It's a legitimate question.

To whom? Me? I don't think so. The poll may be wrong, so what? I feel like my point is completely missed and now I'm helping somebody work out gross misinterpretations or some other issue that I have absolutely no control over (like this poll). If there's a satisfactory reason to question the polls findings, then fine. What is it to me? Life in reality is fine. Moving on.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Alguna gente tiene gusto de utilizar palabras grandes para hacer que aparecen ser más elegante que ella está realmente.

Feliz Navidad a todos y a todo el buenas noches

Translation,

Some people like to use large words to make them appear to be smarter than they really are.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night

ACLU-NJ
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
1. How many people from each ward were polled?
2. What were the percentages in each ward?
3. Was this an independent poll or was the The Benenson Strategy Group hired by Booker?
4. Difference in age group and gender of the 896 polled?
5. What time of the day or night that these people were contacted?

The questions regarding methodology are good ones, and I wish that the Star Ledger had requested and reported on that info. I believe that when public interest research is released by groups like Quinnipiac, they make that kind of information available.

If I remember right from the article, the campaign did pay for the poll. However, it appears to me that Benenson is a reputable operation, having worked for President Elect Obama, who clearly knows how to read people.

Maybe what happened is that they polled for internal purposes (in which case they would have no motive to seek skewed information) and were so pleased with the results, made them public. (Or maybe I'm being naive).

Deborah

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-24-2008, 10:52 AM
The questions regarding methodology are good ones, and I wish that the Star Ledger had requested and reported on that info. I believe that when public interest research is released by groups like Quinnipiac, they make that kind of information available.

If I remember right from the article, the campaign did pay for the poll. However, it appears to me that Benenson is a reputable operation, having worked for President Elect Obama, who clearly knows how to read people.

Maybe what happened is that they polled for internal purposes (in which case they would have no motive to seek skewed information) and were so pleased with the results, made them public. (Or maybe I'm being naive).

Deborah

I thank you also ACLU. I read the article twice and the Booker people seem to dance around the issue if they paid for the poll. There mere mention of Pablo Fonseca and his remarks leads you to believe that they did. That, and the fact that Booker himself, had no comment. That is why I asked these questions.

Again, Thank you

Happy Hoilidays to you and yours.

ACLU-NJ
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
From the firm website...

The Benenson Strategy Group is a nationally recognized strategic research and consulting firm with a reputation for being energetic, fast-paced, and analytically aggressive, priding ourselves on developing strategies and tactics for clients and campaigns that achieve one objective: winning.

Founded in 2001, The Benenson Strategy Group’s clients include Premiers, Presidential candidate Barack Obama, Governors, U.S. Senators, Congressmen, international labor unions, Fortune 100 companies and major non-profits. We bring to all of our work a unique combination of cutting-edge analysis and unmatched expertise in communications and messaging that enable BSG to provide our clients with clear, compelling and sustainable winning strategies for persuading consumers and voters.

The Benenson Strategy Group is a consulting firm, not a polling factory. For each new challenge, we develop creative and customized approaches to assess underlying attitudes and beliefs.

Your challenge or campaign is unique. And BSG always treats it that way. Our goal is to be an ongoing member of your strategic team and our mission is to help you test and develop the right strategies and tactics to ensure that you prevail.

The Benenson Strategy Group has helped clients win elections, launch new products, reposition their brand, beat back competitive challenges and overcome public affairs crises. We have worked on five continents and in more than two dozen countries.

Mark J.
12-24-2008, 11:28 AM
From the firm website...

The Benenson Strategy Group is a nationally recognized strategic research and consulting firm with a reputation for being energetic, fast-paced, and analytically aggressive, priding ourselves on developing strategies and tactics for clients and campaigns that achieve one objective: winning.

Founded in 2001, The Benenson Strategy Group’s clients include Premiers, Presidential candidate Barack Obama, Governors, U.S. Senators, Congressmen, international labor unions, Fortune 100 companies and major non-profits. We bring to all of our work a unique combination of cutting-edge analysis and unmatched expertise in communications and messaging that enable BSG to provide our clients with clear, compelling and sustainable winning strategies for persuading consumers and voters.

The Benenson Strategy Group is a consulting firm, not a polling factory. For each new challenge, we develop creative and customized approaches to assess underlying attitudes and beliefs.

Your challenge or campaign is unique. And BSG always treats it that way. Our goal is to be an ongoing member of your strategic team and our mission is to help you test and develop the right strategies and tactics to ensure that you prevail.

The Benenson Strategy Group has helped clients win elections, launch new products, reposition their brand, beat back competitive challenges and overcome public affairs crises. We have worked on five continents and in more than two dozen countries.

So much for "science" and objectivity...these guys are spin doctors.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-24-2008, 11:38 AM

This section was very TELLING!

Newark Advocate
12-24-2008, 11:42 AM
The Benenson Strategy Group has helped clients win elections, launch new products, reposition their brand, beat back competitive challenges and overcome public affairs crises.

I like this one better.

J. Sharpe James, J.D.
12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I love the fact that they clearly state they are

not a polling factory

:eek:

Tells it all right there

5Reasons
12-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice work, guys.

Now can anyone tell me why the Ledger ran with this "internal" poll? Internal polls, even when using a standard methodology, almost always favor the client by 2% to 3%. The traditional polling firms like Quinnapiac and FDU tend to be more accurate. From the look of the results, it appears as though the firm did try to use standard polling procedures. The 896, if randomly selected, would get you to the stated margin of error. The problem as I see it something that confronts all phone polls and especially ones in Newark. You see the primary problem with this survey design is that it doesn't take into account cell phones. This leaves out a whole cluster that don't get surveyed. I suspect that respondents are slightly skewed to be older than the population at large. Either way, this survey has some gaps that need addressing.

Make Newark Clean
12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Alguna gente tiene gusto de utilizar palabras grandes para hacer que aparecen ser más elegante que ella está realmente.

Feliz Navidad a todos y a todo el buenas noches

Translation,

Some people like to use large words to make them appear to be smarter than they really are.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night

Let's try this one more time...

Suspecting the findings of the poll is fine; I never had a problem with you or anyone doing that. What did you expect me to add?

I didn't go to bat for methodology of the poll. Quite to the contrary, I ask Counter to make the case if he had any reason to doubt this "scientific poll." To call the poll into question, all YOU] had to do was post the information that does so. Why should I have to do it?

I STILL maintain -- stay with me now -- that TAKEN AT FACE VALUE THE POLL NEVER STATES CORY BOOKER HAS AN 80% "APPROVAL" RATING. Your musings about 896 participants as a reason it's fallacious continues to be irrelevant provided the poll is validly executed. Now, add to the mix your history of putting words in mouth, as well as posting responses that you never took the time to review (come on, admit it), well excuse me if I suspected your motives when you ask me such a ridiculous question.

You were as free as ACLU-NJ to research this group and post your findings.

I hope for your sake that your carelessness is an internet joke of some kind. All the more reason indulging you on this matter is an utter waste of time. It might turn on others, but I'm getting nothing.

By the way, who are you trying to throw off your scent by typing in Spanish? Is this SpokenWord revealing her personality challenges under one of her many guises yet again? I have no explanation here.

I stand by EVERYTHING I've typed on this subject and INVITE anyone to read it and provide feedback consistent with what I've said.

All this other stuff... all that.... is a product of YOUR imagination.

Oh brother. :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

Doofus1
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Now can anyone tell me why the Ledger ran with this "internal" poll? Internal polls, even when using a standard methodology, almost always favor the client by 2% to 3%.

Is this a trick question? Newspapers are shells of themselves. They are too cheap to hire real reporters and have simply become a regurgitation tool for campaigns and PR directors.

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Let's try this one more time...

Suspecting the findings of the poll is fine; I never had a problem with you or anyone doing that. What did you expect me to add?

I didn't go to bat for methodology of the poll. Quite to the contrary, I ask Counter to make the case if he had any reason to doubt this "scientific poll." To call the poll into question, all YOU] had to do was post the information that does so. Why should I have to do it?

I STILL maintain -- stay with me now -- that TAKEN AT FACE VALUE THE POLL NEVER STATES CORY BOOKER HAS AN 80% "APPROVAL" RATING. Your musings about 896 participants as a reason it's fallacious continues to be irrelevant provided the poll is validly executed. Now, add to the mix your history of putting words in mouth, as well as posting responses that you never took the time to review (come on, admit it), well excuse me if I suspected your motives when you ask me such a ridiculous question.

You were as free as ACLU-NJ to research this group and post your findings.

I hope for your sake that your carelessness is an internet joke of some kind. All the more reason indulging you on this matter is an utter waste of time. It might turn on others, but I'm getting nothing.

By the way, who are you trying to throw off your scent by typing in Spanish? Is this SpokenWord revealing her personality challenges under one of her many guises yet again? I have no explanation here.

I stand by EVERYTHING I've typed on this subject and INVITE anyone to read it and provide feedback consistent with what I've said.

All this other stuff... all that.... is a product of YOUR imagination.

Oh brother. :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

You asked not to have any further contact with me on this forum, I respected that and have not. Now I am asking you, Please do not address me any further. Your questioning my ethnicity yet again is becoming offensive at this point.

My questions produced a productive discussion here and that seems to have hit a nerve. Again, please refrain from addressing me further. It is sad that is has to be that way but let us agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday

Young Hal
12-28-2008, 02:01 PM
If the Booker administration and the Star Ledger want this polling data taken seriously, all they would have to do is release the questions. There is a field of study called qualitative statistics precisely for this reason. quantitative statistics can tell you anything you want to hear. Qualitative, in contrast, will only tell you the opinions of those surveyed.

Make Newark Clean
12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
If the Booker administration and the Star Ledger want this polling data taken seriously, all they would have to do is release the questions. There is a field of study called qualitative statistics precisely for this reason. quantitative statistics can tell you anything you want to hear. Qualitative, in contrast, will only tell you the opinions of those surveyed.

I can't resist.

The "Spanish" spoken by the previous poster is a poor word-for-word Yahoo software translation.

It seems someone isn't through playing games (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/member.php?u=1389). Administrator take note.

Try the translations yourself. Just cut and paste:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

No more to say. (Not you, Hal :) )

^

HAVESEENENOUGH
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
I can't resist.

The "Spanish" spoken by the previous poster is a poor word-for-word Yahoo software translation.

It seems someone isn't through playing games (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/member.php?u=1389). Administrator take note.

Try the translations yourself. Just cut and paste:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

No more to say. (Not you, Hal :) )

^

Get some professional help. You really need it. I am glad you found a way to learn another language. You need a hobby.

Last time....Please do not address me in any way whatsoever again. You have no idea who I am or what you are talking about. You have ruined the entire thread because others do not share your point of view.

Make Newark Clean
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Get some professional help. You really need it. I am glad you found a way to learn another language. You need a hobby.

Last time....Please do not address me in any way whatsoever again. You have no idea who I am or what you are talking about. You have ruined the entire thread because others do not share your point of view.

LOL, No, no I don't. Let's not forget: you started it. Good day.