PDA

View Full Version : Authorities probe Newark school fire waste dumped in Pa.

jimmyr
12-29-2008, 08:03 PM
The Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office is investigating how 22 tons of demolition waste from a Newark school fire ended up in the Essroc Cement Corp. in Nazareth, Pa., according to a report in the Express-Times of Easton.

The waste, which authorities say might include pollutants such as asbestos, came from a school that caught fire in Newark, according to a police report. An Essroc representative found it Dec. 17 and told borough police.

No charges have been filed but Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said the waste was left by a Newark trucking company hired to help in the school cleanup. He said Essroc is not under investigation

"We believe Essroc is a victim," he said.

The Elliott Street School was demolished in September, two years after a lightning bolt sparked a blaze that ravaged the building. Students were split up and now commute to three buildings, including one in nearby Belleville. Work has begun to replace the school with a new $48 million model.

It is unclear how the demolition debris ended up in Pennsylvania. Morganelli referred the investigation to the attorney general's environmental crimes unit. A spokesman for the attorney general said the office plans to start an investigation soon.

An Essroc spokesman said the the cement maker is cooperating with authorities and is not under investigation.

Hots in the Ironbound
12-30-2008, 10:03 PM
The Sopranos?

Mark J.
12-31-2008, 12:33 AM
...Looks like we did clean up Newark...how ironic is this? Newark, the usual dumpee, is the dumper...what winds up in the garbage? One of our educational institutions...I could go on...I was at the Elliot St. School fire...I had a job then...who was almost next to me at the scene? our new mayor, demonstrating his passionate concern...I wish I could find a moral in this story, but this will have to do.