Newark Speaks

Newark Speaks (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Newark Talk (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Donald Payne, Jr. is in! (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12811)

Miss Tam-Tam 03-16-2012 07:07 PM

Donald Payne, Jr. is in!
 
Donald Payne Jr. to seek father's Congressional seat | NJ.com
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ek_father.html

Inkwell 03-16-2012 08:35 PM

Really?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Tam-Tam (Post 143305)
Donald Payne Jr. to seek father's Congressional seat | NJ.com
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ek_father.html

What a surprise! I cannot wait to see his list of "pre-councilman" accomplishments on behalf of the community. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a person, respect his love and LOYALTY to his father, but if Nia Gill runs, I would vote for her due to a solid professional track record (she won inspite of being off the party line) and her being "unbought and unbossed." As for Council President Payne, name recognition does have its advantages so we will see if the fix is in.:eek:

Make Newark Clean 03-17-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkwell (Post 143307)
if Nia Gill runs, I would vote for her due to a solid professional track record

I'm inclined toward Nia Gill too.

So here we go, everybody vying for The Vacancy. Councilman Rice was shrewd or lucky. I think it would have been difficult for another Newark councilman to declare for Payne Sr's seat after he had died. What do brother councilmen banter about between sessions? Anything you say can be used against you. :eek:

And what's wrong with CouncilmanFreeholder Payne Jr sticking to his two public jobs? What was the point? Is his work done there? Seriously, as Maximus already wrote, the venerable Payne's position belongs to the citizens. It's not a family heirloom. Indeed, it's kind of a cheap charitable appeal to use a loved one's death as a premise to escape the public jobs you were elected to do and move onto one granted through a machine appointment. I guess it's nothing that hasn't been tried before. They figure the voters don't care what all this looks like. After all, we only get a few mediocre choices that they get to choose for us come election time. Those who pass their fealty test. The public, well, d*mn, we'll take it out in apathy. I wish they'd realize that sympathy only goes but so far. This ain't England.

The grandee is in the ground so here it comes. The Democratic machine has got this thing and it's golden! Who gets what? It's just not real democracy. The Paynes, the Rices, and the hoped-for James. Political dynasties of name recognition and entitlement to rule. They are human just like the rest of us. One wonders what alchemy creates these political/budding political dynasties.

What was the turnout in the last municipal election? 26%? The more I think about it, voting should be at least as mandatory as jury duty. Three Jobs Payne, 2 jobs Rice. Foreclosures, poverty, wealthlessness, jail. This is not working.

chad1 03-18-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Tam-Tam (Post 143305)
Donald Payne Jr. to seek father's Congressional seat | NJ.com
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ek_father.html

Miss Tam Tam

Well said.... He's In alright.... In over his head.

The young man is a polite young man. Always was even as a kid, always jubilant and respectful. Something many children in this day and age lack. However, he isn't the Brightest Bulb in the room and that is a problem.

Heck sometimes it's a problem when you do have a bright bulb. Hence, Cory Booka.

In order to truly represent it's crucial that the individual male or female have intelligence, integrity, hard work and dedication interwoven in their being. We already have evidence of what happens when those elements are absent. We cant afford mediocrity at this time-- we the people need Effective representation.

GottfriedK 03-19-2012 09:57 AM

Young Man
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad1 (Post 143348)
Miss Tam Tam

Well said.... He's In alright.... In over his head.

The young man is a polite young man. Always was even as a kid, always jubilant and respectful. Something many children in this day and age lack. However, he isn't the Brightest Bulb in the room and that is a problem.

Heck sometimes it's a problem when you do have a bright bulb. Hence, Cory Booka.

In order to truly represent it's crucial that the individual male or female have intelligence, integrity, hard work and dedication interwoven in their being. We already have evidence of what happens when those elements are absent. We cant afford mediocrity at this time-- we the people need Effective representation.

This is not a young man, unless you're Lautenberg. He's over 50 and married with kids. He may have a track record of a young man, but, as noted, a person with more in the way of accomplishments and experience is warranted for this seat.

Miss Tam-Tam 03-19-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GottfriedK (Post 143349)
This is not a young man, unless you're Lautenberg. He's over 50 and married with kids. He may have a track record of a young man, but, as noted, a person with more in the way of accomplishments and experience is warranted for this seat.

Wow, I always had the impression that Payne Junior is much younger. I sometimes wonder if he even wants to be in politics/public service; he doesn't exactly have a fire in the belly for it. It pays the bills I guess.

NewarkBorn 03-20-2012 01:46 PM

You're
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Newark Clean (Post 143330)


I'm inclined toward Nia Gill too.

So here we go, everybody vying for The Vacancy. Councilman Rice was shrewd or lucky. I think it would have been difficult for another Newark councilman to declare for Payne Sr's seat after he had died. What do brother councilmen banter about between sessions? Anything you say can be used against you. :eek:

And what's wrong with CouncilmanFreeholder Payne Jr sticking to his two public jobs? What was the point? Is his work done there? Seriously, as Maximus already wrote, the venerable Payne's position belongs to the citizens. It's not a family heirloom. Indeed, it's kind of a cheap charitable appeal to use a loved one's death as a premise to escape the public jobs you were elected to do and move onto one granted through a machine appointment. I guess it's nothing that hasn't been tried before. They figure the voters don't care what all this looks like. After all, we only get a few mediocre choices that they get to choose for us come election time. Those who pass their fealty test. The public, well, d*mn, we'll take it out in apathy. I wish they'd realize that sympathy only goes but so far. This ain't England.

The grandee is in the ground so here it comes. The Democratic machine has got this thing and it's golden! Who gets what? It's just not real democracy. The Paynes, the Rices, and the hoped-for James. Political dynasties of name recognition and entitlement to rule. They are human just like the rest of us. One wonders what alchemy creates these political/budding political dynasties.

What was the turnout in the last municipal election? 26%? The more I think about it, voting should be at least as mandatory as jury duty. Three Jobs Payne, 2 jobs Rice. Foreclosures, poverty, wealthlessness, jail. This is not working.

You are wrong about Rice. He has only one job, as City Councilman.

Maximus Returns 03-20-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Tam-Tam (Post 143358)
he doesn't exactly have a fire in the belly for it.

no room for fire in THAT belly. The obese tend to look younger than they really are. Wrinkles get stretched out.

brotherderek 03-20-2012 08:27 PM

Oh God
 
The Governor has found the fountain of youth.

5Reasons 03-20-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximus Returns (Post 143366)
no room for fire in THAT belly. The obese tend to look younger than they really are. Wrinkles get stretched out.

I don't think DP-II is ready to be a Congressman, but given the low level of information, people will vote for the name. In fact, I once saw a movie where Eddie Murphy won a Congressional seat...."Jeff Johnson, the name you know...."


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Legal Disclaimer: The opinions, findings and posts of forum participants and authors expressed herein are those of the forum participants and author and do not necessarily state or reflect those of Newark Speaks.com. Newark Speaks.com does not assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information. Any material contained on this forum may include inaccuracies or errors. Newark Speaks.com reserves the right to make changes and updates to any information without prior notice.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger