Newark Speaks

Newark Speaks (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Great Posts (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ras Baraka Sold Us Out ... (http://www.newarkspeaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582)

WassupNwk 03-04-2006 09:35 PM

Ras Baraka Sold Us Out ...

so far mr. baraka is getting a free pass on this forum. much was advertised about his being on the council as a sign of good things to come. mr. tucker, may he rest in peace, passed away october 18, 2005. mr. baraka was appointed november 2005 and he is now officially part of the big $80M heist just four short months into his rookie term. we talk so much about the newark jurassic council members being corrupt ... what about the rookie? he is no longer innocent and he is officially stained and one of sharpe's robots. anybody have anything to say about this fact? silence is not golden.

rusty 03-04-2006 10:25 PM

He had his one huge chance to prove he was not part of the same machine and failed miserably. At least make a move or motion to table the decision until more info is given. Anything. instead, same old sh#t. Clean the slate in May

CaptainJim59 03-05-2006 12:57 AM

Ras, shame shame....

you are a sham, just like your illiterate father!

Miss Tam-Tam 03-05-2006 10:41 AM

Ras back atcha!

Here's Ras' response, which appeared in today's Ledger. You know the drill: A Funny Thing Happens to Money in Newark on Its Way to Fix a Problem. As long as a system is broken, all the cash in the world will never be the answer:

<<Essex Forum - Sunday Star-Ledger - March 5, 2006

$50M is needed despite mayor's controversy

Election year or not, I believe the entire council -- no matter who was sitting -- would have voted for $30 million in redevelopment to go to the neighborhoods. This money is sorely needed and long overdue.

For decades, we have watched little to no real development go on our blocks, short of overpriced two-and three-family homes. I have watched Building 505 on Clinton Avenue for 30 years become a pit stop for drug activity and a symbol of neighborhood decay. This is an opportunity fought for and won by our council. And while I understand certain people's suspicions, my job as a councilman is to provide oversight to force the process to be as transparent as possible.

This process is in its infancy. It is not over. And while I may have been a little skeptical about the $50 million, it seemed a bit hypocritical and more like election time drama to vote for one and not for the library, the museum, Lincoln Park Cultural Project and other downtown development proposals.

I invite people to continue asking hard, revealing questions. It motivates us to do our jobs and is the essence of democracy. But I can assure you that the council is in oversight and, contrary to prevailing propaganda, we are not all in some mayor's or would be mayor's pocketbook.

--Ras Baraka
Newark councilman-at-large>>

Doofus1 03-05-2006 11:04 AM

Simple questions for Mr. Baraka: Why now? Why commit to such projects in a rush on the eve of an election when it is clear that the incumbent is heading for the door? There can be only one response: Because it was a payoff.

WassupNwk 03-05-2006 11:27 AM

lame baraka defense ...

rookie ras won't admit to being lost, but does admit to being confused for one $80M vote. he admits that the james administration has failed as follows:

"For decades, we have watched little to no real development go on our blocks, short of overpriced two-and three-family homes. I have watched Building 505 on Clinton Avenue for 30 years become a pit stop for drug activity and a symbol of neighborhood decay. This is an opportunity fought for and won by our council. And while I understand certain people's suspicions, my job as a councilman is to provide oversight to force the process to be as transparent as possible."

mr. james has been around for two of those "decades." rookie ras needed to stand up for real leadership. in the grand scheme of things $30M divided into $6M for each ward is chump change compared to taking a stand for a better newark. what will be the next issue that the council will stumble over? if money blinds you, then move aside and let real leaders change our city. when these individuals campaign, they never talk about how money influences their decision making. we should start asking questions about how their character (or lack thereof) is impacted when money is on the table (or beneath it). mr. baraka's play on hypocrisy boomerangs back at him. we need to attend council meetings and ask these "hard, revealing questions. It motivates us to do our jobs and is the essence of democracy" right in their faces. the words he spoke smack of a sellout who would have taken a totally different position had he not been tapped to succeed the late mr. tucker. mr. baraka is beholden to those who granted him a seat on the council, namely, mr. james. don't insult our intellience by inferring your are not in the "mayor's pocketbook." we know you aren't because he doesn't allow anyone near his stolen money. but you are up his #$$.

RACEMATTERS 03-05-2006 11:30 AM

Obvious payout

It is evident that Ras took the low road and ran with the money without thinking of the consequences. Shame on you Ras... and too think we went to the same school and i helped you in 94 and 98....shame on you.:mad:

Klap Bak 03-05-2006 11:56 AM

From Newark .......

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 273

FOR JAMES ...... FOR MYSELF!!!!

WassupNwk 03-05-2006 09:26 PM

rookie ras messed up ...

i hope mr. baraka is paying attention and realizing how he cannot exist in a glass house. i wonder how he trains his conscience to overlook the guilt of selling out his community? you were honest when you were on the outside looking in. now you are in, and you are playing it typical. you need to be back where you were so the rest of your life can reflect the honor you talked so much about but have failed to walk.

ForNwk 03-05-2006 09:50 PM

Response from Ras

It is good to see a response from Ras whether you agree or not. I don't know of any citizen who would disagree that our neighborhoods need "real" development. The problem remains that the citizens were not given their opportunity to participate in this process.

For a process in its infancy it appears that a lot of conversations, agreements and appointments have already been made. I seriously hope the Mayor and Council see the importance of holding a public meeting or hearing on this matter sooner rather than later.