Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Great Posts

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
WassupNwk

Default Ras Baraka Sold Us Out ...

so far mr. baraka is getting a free pass on this forum. much was advertised about his being on the council as a sign of good things to come. mr. tucker, may he rest in peace, passed away october 18, 2005. mr. baraka was appointed november 2005 and he is now officially part of the big $80M heist just four short months into his rookie term. we talk so much about the newark jurassic council members being corrupt ... what about the rookie? he is no longer innocent and he is officially stained and one of sharpe's robots. anybody have anything to say about this fact? silence is not golden.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
rusty

He had his one huge chance to prove he was not part of the same machine and failed miserably. At least make a move or motion to table the decision until more info is given. Anything. instead, same old sh#t. Clean the slate in May
Old 03-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
CaptainJim59
Superior Member

Default Ras, shame shame....

you are a sham, just like your illiterate father!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Miss Tam-Tam
MASTER MEMBER

Default Ras back atcha!

Here's Ras' response, which appeared in today's Ledger. You know the drill: A Funny Thing Happens to Money in Newark on Its Way to Fix a Problem. As long as a system is broken, all the cash in the world will never be the answer:

<<Essex Forum - Sunday Star-Ledger - March 5, 2006

$50M is needed despite mayor's controversy

Election year or not, I believe the entire council -- no matter who was sitting -- would have voted for $30 million in redevelopment to go to the neighborhoods. This money is sorely needed and long overdue.

For decades, we have watched little to no real development go on our blocks, short of overpriced two-and three-family homes. I have watched Building 505 on Clinton Avenue for 30 years become a pit stop for drug activity and a symbol of neighborhood decay. This is an opportunity fought for and won by our council. And while I understand certain people's suspicions, my job as a councilman is to provide oversight to force the process to be as transparent as possible.

This process is in its infancy. It is not over. And while I may have been a little skeptical about the $50 million, it seemed a bit hypocritical and more like election time drama to vote for one and not for the library, the museum, Lincoln Park Cultural Project and other downtown development proposals.

I invite people to continue asking hard, revealing questions. It motivates us to do our jobs and is the essence of democracy. But I can assure you that the council is in oversight and, contrary to prevailing propaganda, we are not all in some mayor's or would be mayor's pocketbook.

--Ras Baraka
Newark councilman-at-large>>
Old 03-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Doofus1
MASTER MEMBER

Simple questions for Mr. Baraka: Why now? Why commit to such projects in a rush on the eve of an election when it is clear that the incumbent is heading for the door? There can be only one response: Because it was a payoff.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
WassupNwk

Default lame baraka defense ...

rookie ras won't admit to being lost, but does admit to being confused for one $80M vote. he admits that the james administration has failed as follows:

"For decades, we have watched little to no real development go on our blocks, short of overpriced two-and three-family homes. I have watched Building 505 on Clinton Avenue for 30 years become a pit stop for drug activity and a symbol of neighborhood decay. This is an opportunity fought for and won by our council. And while I understand certain people's suspicions, my job as a councilman is to provide oversight to force the process to be as transparent as possible."

mr. james has been around for two of those "decades." rookie ras needed to stand up for real leadership. in the grand scheme of things $30M divided into $6M for each ward is chump change compared to taking a stand for a better newark. what will be the next issue that the council will stumble over? if money blinds you, then move aside and let real leaders change our city. when these individuals campaign, they never talk about how money influences their decision making. we should start asking questions about how their character (or lack thereof) is impacted when money is on the table (or beneath it). mr. baraka's play on hypocrisy boomerangs back at him. we need to attend council meetings and ask these "hard, revealing questions. It motivates us to do our jobs and is the essence of democracy" right in their faces. the words he spoke smack of a sellout who would have taken a totally different position had he not been tapped to succeed the late mr. tucker. mr. baraka is beholden to those who granted him a seat on the council, namely, mr. james. don't insult our intellience by inferring your are not in the "mayor's pocketbook." we know you aren't because he doesn't allow anyone near his stolen money. but you are up his #$$.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
ChiefAziz

Default Sold who out?

First of all you cowardly 5 0r 6 people who make noise on this site give yourselves way too much credit. He does not owe you, whom most of you probably do not even live in this city, not a Damn thing! Councilman Baraka's duty is to the citizens of Newark, NJ. And this is an opportunity to provide upgraded recreational facilities, better services and summer/year round jobs to young people in Newark. And I would say that if Booker was on the Council, whether it was an election year or not would have voted the same way. Even his two candidates voted for the 30 million dollars. Because like the rest of there Council colleagues they realize all of the positive benefits that will come from that kind of money in the neighborhoods. And that is what it is about. Councilman Baraka is a responsible representative for the people of Newark and I trust that when he says there will be oversite, then that will be the case.

Some of you people on this site are cowards. To call out Imamu Baraka in that way is very disrespectful to say the least. A man who has stood up to injustice in Newark for over 35 years. What have any of you done? Call names. What have any of you ever brought to the table in regards to the advancement of Black people, Newark, or anybody for that matter.

So I say that you all on this site who hide behind an anonymous web site persona, bring something to the table. I challege you to bring something to the table. Propose something new and innovative. Come to a council meeting and be heard. Oh that may be like asking boys and girls to grow up and be men and women before they are ready to do so...
Old 03-06-2006, 06:44 AM   #8
Klap Bak
MASTER MEMBER

Default You also wear a sheath ,,,, Chief look in the mirror….

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefAziz
First of all you cowardly 5 0r 6 people who make noise on this site give yourselves way too much credit. He does not owe you, whom most of you probably do not even live in this city, not a Damn thing! Councilman Baraka's duty is to the citizens of Newark, NJ. And this is an opportunity to provide upgraded recreational facilities, better services and summer/year round jobs to young people in Newark. And I would say that if Booker was on the Council, whether it was an election year or not would have voted the same way. Even his two candidates voted for the 30 million dollars. Because like the rest of there Council colleagues they realize all of the positive benefits that will come from that kind of money in the neighborhoods. And that is what it is about. Councilman Baraka is a responsible representative for the people of Newark and I trust that when he says there will be oversite, then that will be the case.

Some of you people on this site are cowards. To call out Imamu Baraka in that way is very disrespectful to say the least. A man who has stood up to injustice in Newark for over 35 years. What have any of you done? Call names. What have any of you ever brought to the table in regards to the advancement of Black people, Newark, or anybody for that matter.

So I say that you all on this site who hide behind an anonymous web site persona, bring something to the table. I challege you to bring something to the table. Propose something new and innovative. Come to a council meeting and be heard. Oh that may be like asking boys and girls to grow up and be men and women before they are ready to do so...
The numbers suggest otherwise. Lost are viewing. Careful what you say.

.... careful what you ask for..... Chief.

Quote:
Employment: -It is important to understand that decent jobs with living wages are the first step to improving the quality of life of Newark residents and impacts education and crime. We should ensure that all businesses that receive City contracts offer their employees a living wage. While Newark has progressive policies in the hiring of "minorities" and Newark residents these laws are not aggressively enforced. While the city is being rebuilt we need to ensure that these giant public works projects, such as the arena are holding up their end of the bargain by hiring Newarkers first at all levels of development and management. All corporations that receive city abatement should also pay their workers a living wage and adhere to a policy of employing Newark residents.

While the city also has many development and training programs through the one stop center and the office of MOET we need to ensure that people are being trained for the jobs/careers that are viable and are marketable. As well as beginning to use the Rutgers small business development center to focus some of our residents on developing their own business.

"These 22 Million victims are waking up. There Eyes are coming open... They are becoming Politically Mature" ( The Ballot or the Bullet, Malcolm X).
Your first, second and third posts on this site fall deep into the abyss of plagiaristic dossiers ,,,, I quietly told you that on your first. Your quest for board members to propose something new and innovative should start within yourself.

Name:  thoa048.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  23.7 KB
..... and the kettle replied "you black too fool."
Old 03-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
Klap Bak
MASTER MEMBER

Default Ok let’s play the game……

Quote:
And this is an opportunity to provide upgraded recreational facilities, better services and summer/year round jobs to young people in Newark. And I would say that if Booker was on the Council, whether it was an election year or not would have voted the same way. Even his two candidates voted for the 30 million dollars. Because like the rest of there Council colleagues they realize all of the positive benefits that will come from that kind of money in the neighborhoods.
……… of suppose. Suppose you are right that the 30 Million would go to the benefit of the neighborhoods ……. what is the 50 million for? It is a greater portion. He did vote on that did he not?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
5Reasons
MASTER MEMBER

Chief Shill,

This was an opportunity for the council to pull an election year stunt, to bribe local nonprofits into doing their work. This was ALSO an opportunity to create a slush fund that would be HEADED BY THE SAME PEOPLE that underfunded neighborhood and recreation projects FOR DECADES. Ah, did you miss that point? That's FOR DECADES, Chief Shill?

The fact is, is that these guys stole $80,000,000, robbed it from our treasury, and gave it to a crew that is leaving office. It is just a slush fund that will REALLY ENDOW the bagmen. The same usual suspects that have robbed Newark would get one last payday.

I suggest, since this Council voted for it for SELF- PRESERVATION, that they GIVE THE MONEY BACK immediately. I can assure you, that this thing won't stand up in court. And, I can assure you that the State is looking deep into this matter. So you have ask yourself a question: Is it worth it? Is it worth participating in this scheme just because you got clowned by this administration one last time?

This fund is illegal. It was formed in an illegal manner. It is headed by incompetents and crooks. If you give it back this week, you might have a chance to move on. But I can assure you, the LONGER you talk about this issue and more Newarkers KNOW about this election year theft fund stunt, THE WORSE IT'S GOING TO BE. But it's your bed, Chief Shill; you live with it anyway you want.

And let me end by saying the TRUTH: ANYONE that voted fro ANY PORTION of this $80,000,000 THEFT DID NOT have Newark's best interest at heart. They were thinking about this and motivated by GREED and SELF-INTEREST.( The people? My a$$.) Yeah bro, that's all Ras is; just another politician. But don't worry; he wasn't alone. He assimiliated into that subculture of greed and self-interest in a hurry. Amazing! And truly sad, that if you proclaim to want social justice, that you could defend this. You are part of the problem. You are far more interested in protecting your fantasy candidate, than in what's best for Newark. Those days are over.

Final note: Chief Shill, don't be so sensitive. I only participate in this forum because I love Newark I try to speak truth to power. Ras used to know what that was. Now, he (and you) have become part of the same structure you used to fight against. Eh, that's Newark for ya.

NO MORE TRICKS IN 2006! EVERYONE MUST GO!!!

DAMN MAN, HAVEN'T YOU STOLEN ENOUGH???

Last edited by 5Reasons; 03-06-2006 at 07:36 AM.