Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > CORY BOOKER SPEAKS

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
NEWARK SPEAKS
Administrator

Default Welcome To Newark Speaks Mr. Booker

Mr. Booker:

On behalf of the 482 members of Newark Speaks I would like to welcome you to our online community. Newark Speaks is a community created by Newark citizens for Newark citizens to talk, debate and give their opinions about all that is Newark.

In this age of on-line technology, Newark Speaks has opened up a segment of Newark’s electorate/citizenry to access that they otherwise might not have. It also gives our elected officials a chance to communicate directly with us, tell us their intentions, find out what we want from them and ask us for our advise without ever having to physically meet with us.

As a candidate for the Office of Mayor we felt compelled to extend an invitation to you to address some of our concerns and questions regarding your intentions for our city. With 99% of the posts on Newark Speaks concerning the political representation of Newark and how this representation effects us, it is only fitting that we would want anyone looking to represent us to come here.

The questions we will have for you today are directly from Newark Speaks members who are all Newark residents. The answer to these questions will help some of us decide whom to vote for on May 9th.

Thanks again for agreeing to meet with us and answer our questions.

Webmaster
Old 04-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Cory Booker
Mayoral Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newark Speaks
Mr. Booker:

On behalf of the 482 members of Newark Speaks I would like to welcome you to our online community. Newark Speaks is a community created by Newark citizens for Newark citizens to talk, debate and give their opinions about all that is Newark.

In this age of on-line technology, Newark Speaks has opened up a segment of Newark’s electorate/citizenry to access that they otherwise might not have. It also gives our elected officials a chance to communicate directly with us, tell us their intentions, find out what we want from them and ask us for our advise without ever having to physically meet with us.

As a candidate for the Office of Mayor we felt compelled to extend an invitation to you to address some of our concerns and questions regarding your intentions for our city. With 99% of the posts on Newark Speaks concerning the political representation of Newark and how this representation effects us, it is only fitting that we would want anyone looking to represent us to come here.

The questions we will have for you today are directly from Newark Speaks members who are all Newark residents. The answer to these questions will help some of us decide whom to vote for on May 9th.

Thanks again for agreeing to meet with us and answer our questions.

Webmaster
Hello Newark Speaks. this is cory booker
Old 04-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
NEWARK SPEAKS
Administrator

Default Question #1

I know time is short so here we go.

AKAladyjustice asks:

What initiatives are you looking to develop your first 90 days as Mayor, and why?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Cory Booker
Mayoral Candidate

Quote:

I know time is short so here we go.

AKAladyjustice asks:

What initiatives are you looking to develop your first 90 days as Mayor, and why?
all of our early initiatives will revolve around our four key policy points in this campaign. We are seeking to achive measurable gains in four areas:

1. The safety of our city
2. Making the local economy work for Newark residents
3. Empowering our children and seniors
4. Making city hall run right: at a high level of excellence, integrity and efficiency.

so our first 90 days will reflect these goals. You will see more police on the streets, an enforcement of all our laws. You will see us begin a disperate impact study that will open up the door for pushing more contracts to local minorities. You will see us unviel a comprehensive apprenticeship program for young newarkers. You will see me push for ethics laws and introduce a new system of city hall managment based on performace and customer service.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
NEWARK SPEAKS
Administrator

Default 5Reasons asks:

1. What are your plans (thoughts) on how we can combat the growing litter/trash problem?

2. Talk to me about improving the quality of streets. What are your plans (thoughts)? Roughly how many "miles" or road can you reasonably expect to replace each year?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
NEWARK SPEAKS
Administrator

Default Westwoman asks:

1. Why Oscar James instead of Arnold Karim Tharien for South Ward after all his hard work with you during the last election, btw, my only problem with your "team" ; and

2. The streets in the West Ward are in desperate need of repair. Its good to hear about education, and every person counting however as an ever-increasing taxpayer, can't I at lease drive without tearing up my vehicle?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Cory Booker
Mayoral Candidate

Quote:
1. What are your plans (thoughts) on how we can combat the growing litter/trash problem?

2. Talk to me about improving the quality of streets. What are your plans (thoughts)? Roughly how many "miles" or road can you reasonably expect to replace each year?
I have very strong feelings on litter and illegal dumping in our city. I personally see it every day in our streets - folks rolling down windows and throwing out trash; people in front of bodegas, opening candy bars and throwing down trash etc. I think the way you change behavior is by encouraging proper behavior with public service announcements etc and other types of outreach - educating folks on what their individual actions do (the cost to the city both financially and spiritually) but then that MUST BE BACKED UP BY ENFOCEMENT. don't vote for me if you want the status quo, I will be instructing law enforcement officialls to put cops out there to give tickets to people who trash our city. We will set up sting operations against illegal dumpers and use cameras and other technology to catch these people and prosecute them.

As far as paving. . . . I can't say I will know until i get in there. . . What I do know is that we can do better than is being done now. How do I know this. 1. we have no system for holding our contracters accountable for the work they do. 2. Our bidding process is flawed if not corrupt. We will make sure that we get the best contractors to do the job and we will hold them accountable. also, we will light a fire under the county and hold them accountable for their roads in our city. We pay them a heck of a lot in taxes and they should be accountable to all of us and our leadership.