Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
23MDM

Default Question on Gangs

I have a question; Can any one explain to me how the issue of gangs is being addressed in Newark? Are there any grassroots organization or community groups addressing this issue of blood and crips or is it solely a law enforcement issue?

Moreover how is city council addressing this issue?

Any information will be appreciated.
23MDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Miss Tam-Tam
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23MDM
I have a question; Can any one explain to me how the issue of gangs is being addressed in Newark? Are there any grassroots organization or community groups addressing this issue of blood and crips or is it solely a law enforcement issue? Moreover how is city council addressing this issue?
MDM, you've asked legitimate questions and in those questions lay parts of the solutions. But with all due respect, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.
Miss Tam-Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
CaseClosed

Default Taking Down A Gang

Quote:
I have a question; Can any one explain to me how the issue of gangs is being addressed in Newark? Are there any grassroots organization or community groups addressing this issue of blood and crips or is it solely a law enforcement issue?

How the FBI took down a deadly Jersey gang
Details of 4-year effort reveal depth of problem still facing state
Sunday, December 03, 2006
BY JOHN P. MARTIN
Star-Ledger Staff

The depth of New Jersey's gang problem dawned on John Havens on a steamy Sunday four years ago as he parked along Ninth Street in Newark.

Havens, a 32-year-old FBI agent, had his eyes on a two-story corner house where nearly 50 young men had gathered for a barbecue. One wore a hidden microphone that piped the proceedings to the agent's vehicle

Havens and a Newark detective had waited for five hours with the engine off and windows up. Finally, the man known as "Massacre" began to preach.

"I'm the same as you! We Blood," Tewhan Butler thundered to the backyard crowd. "Blood ain't got sh-- to do with how much money you got, how fresh your clothes is! ... It's dealing with Blood, what you gonna live for, what you gonna die for."

Havens had been in law enforcement for a decade and never heard anything like it. Butler, 22, was surprisingly charismatic; his audience was rapt.

"It's no room for ego!" Butler said, in a rant that lasted more than an hour. "Everybody put that big man sh-- to the side! Whether y'all like it or not, I'm running the motherf-- show. I'm gonna stay running this motherf-- show."

The FBI agent suddenly understood why youngsters idolized Butler and why older teens lined up to join his East Orange set. And he realized why New Jersey's gang problem was probably more dangerous than many knew.

The Double ii Bloods, as they were called, brought gangs to a new level. They met weekly to discuss business and Blood codes, and to break in members. Over the years, they absorbed a generation from the same neighborhood.

Their discipline was matched only by their numbing penchant for violence. Double ii members were responsible for at least 27 murders, countless shootings, assaults and drug deals. Crimes were like merit badges -- earned and worn proudly.

Their victims included an East Orange father gunned down in front of his family because he warned gang members to stay away from his 8-year-old son, and a Newark teen killed by a Blood who wanted to try out his new guns

The article is too long to post here. But here is the link...

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....630.xml&coll=1
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Mslooksogood

Default Great Questions.....

Quote:

Not sure how the New Administration is addressing these issues regarding gang organizations and who they're affiliated with. However, I do know that the old administration had personal connections with some of the old council members. Mamie would receive home phone calls when "something was about to jump off". Ras Baraka initiated truces with gangs, so that they could keep the violence at minimum.

These are questions that really need to be address by our NEW LEADERS!!

Last edited by Mslooksogood; 12-04-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Mslooksogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
karimah
Superior Member

Their are a few organizations out their to help , SOS(SAVING OUR SHELVES) which are form by ex gang members who decided to get out of the game and change their life, they help assist anybody that wants to get out of the game and they help you enroll in school and get a job. Operation Cease fire is another organization that goes and talk to shooting victims to help prevents the victims from giving payback.

If you want the numbers to these organizations let me know and i will get it for you
karimah is offline   Reply With Quote