Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Unhappy Street Soldiers: Hot 97 (Last Night)

I don't know how many of you listen to this show on Sunday's, but I know for myself, I check in every once and a while. Last night they has Russell Simmons and Q-Tip on as guest all in an effort to try and encourage more people, especially the young and urban communites, to go out and vote.

Now if you real some of my previous post on this and other forums, I've always said positive things about Russell and his efforts for the Black Community, but last night, he struck a nerve...a bad nerve and it left a foul taste in my mouth.

With all his efforts with the Vote or Die Campaign and how it is supposed to be a Non-Partisan effort, he actually got on the air last night and said that he was voting for John Kerry. He actually went on to list the reasons why he was voting for Kerry.

Irregardless of who he is voting for, I don't think that it was appropriate for him to make that announcement one way or the other. I think that he's actions and his words were socially irresponsible and contradicting.

He's always saying how is main motivation with the campaign was to get young people to think...How are you allowing them to think when you know that by saying that statement, you've just made their decisions for them. If he was to walk out into the streets wearing holes in his jackets...Thirty million kids would walk outside their homes the same exact way....

It would be a different story if he came out from the beginning and said "Yeah I'm supporting John Kerry and I would appreciate you voting for him", but he always said that he was not going to relinquish who he would be voting for... I don't know what got into him last night, but it was real disappointing.

I just hope that the other celebrities like Puffy do not go ahead and do the same thing. To me Fair is Fair...and i don't think that was fair or right...

Propaganda or What
black4rob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
5Reasons
MASTER MEMBER

90% of talk radio is right wing propaganda. The far right aren't inhibited by normative values of "fairness." In fact, if you've followed the growth of the right wing, it is strongly correlated with the way they've gone about the business of conglomerizing our mass communications (and hence, reality making mechanisms.). In the 80s, Reagan dismantled the "Fairness Doctrine" which REQUIRED that all shows give BOTH SIDES of a story. Once, the right had done away with that, the rise of Rush and the rightwing gang has occurred. Since the mid-90s, a few, very large, communications companies have been eating up smaller companies so that the industry is quickly becoming the definition of a (monopoly - which is defined as when 5 or fewer companies own at least 60% of the market). The rightwing has been fighting to dereg mass communications because they want a few companies to own the market in order to control what we hear (corporate-centric messages).

Trust me - one rapper saying he's "voting for Kerry" is not nearly as influential as the WABC talk radio right wing machine, the 700 club (Pat Robertson tv) and the many venues in which "opinion journalists' are little more than shills for an ideological extreme team with meta-designs for reshaping society.
5Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Default More than just a rapper

"Trust me - one rapper saying he's "voting for Kerry" is not nearly as influential as the WABC talk radio right wing machine, the 700 club (Pat Robertson tv) and the many venues in which "opinion journalists' are little more than shills for an ideological extreme team with meta-designs for reshaping society" [quote from 5Reason]>

Russell is more than just a rapper and it is not just talk radio. Talk radio just happened to be one form he used to make his announcement.

What we have to realize is that what we see on ABC or the papers or MSN about the Presidential Race being neck and neck can be thrown right out the window. When these surveys are conducted they are not being conducted on College Campuses like Essex County College or even Rutgers Newark, they are not being conducted on cell phones (since this is what most young people use)...Instead they are calling residential phone lines, they are going to senior citizen homes, or the corporate world...
My point is that we are not getting an accurate picture of the Race for Presidency because the polls that are being conducted are neglecting a huge population of the voting community.

Currently the polls are saying the race is tied at about 46% each candidate, but wouldn't be surprise if the numbers was more like 60% - 40% in favor of Kerry...

Sure WABC may be have and voice their opinions freely, but how many 18-20 year olds do you know would listen to that... The adults who do listen to those types of programs still form their own opinions regardless of what is being said. Whereas when you get a P.diddy, and a Russell Simmons who are driving Bentley's and wearing $30,000 rings...it looks appealing to these kids who haven't yet formed their own opinions. They are not yet leaders instead they would rather conform with the crowd just to feel accepted or cool.

Sure these opinion journalists' may just be little bit more than shills on the street, but the Diddys and Simmons have more clout and they aren't gambling....They know their power and they know that these people are going to bite...
Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
MrTim1955

Default Young people don't usually vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by black4rob2
[I][B]
Currently the polls are saying the race is tied at about 46% each candidate, but wouldn't be surprise if the numbers was more like 60% - 40% in favor of Kerry...
Traditionally young college students don't bother to vote. It's mostly the middle-age crowd and seniors that vote. Young people don't know yet that it is their future they're voting for. Also the candidates don't usually know how to market to the younger generation so they (they youngsters) feel left out.

I think Kerry's campaign slogan of a "January Surprise" will help energize the college crowd. I hope so anyway. I also hope your prediction of a 60-40 split for Kerry comes true. It will show a mandate against the Bush way of doing things.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
5Reasons
MASTER MEMBER

Default KERRY will win NEXT TUESDAY

Trust me, I know something about polling. Kerry is up about 2 to 3% - don't even bother with the polls. Kerry is going to win and he may even break 52% of the vote and get 325 electoral college votes.

There are systemic problems with todays polls and they will show their flaws next Tuesday. First, the formula for "likely voters" is grossly out of context. There is no system to measure all of the new registered voters who are overwhelmingly Democrat. Also, this election is so charged, turnout is expected to top 115 MILLION, up from 104M in 2000. Now considering that I think the GOP, in this environment, can only top out at 55M votes, if at ANY TIME during the day you hear there are more than 110M votes, you can start drinking heavily in celebration. It's over.

Today's polls don't use cell phones. Nearly 10% of the general population uses cell phones as their only means of communication. These groups tend to be slighly younger and favor the Democrats.

Also remember this LITTLE fact that no one has talked about. Of the 7 or 8% that identifies themselves as "undecided", 18% say they are Republican; 38% say they are Democrats. And, in virtually all internal polls, INDEPENDENTS are breaking for Kerry.

Please consider this one too: watch Bush's actions carefully, They have STOPPED CAMPAIGNING in Ohio. Their internal polls show that they're going to lose that state. In fact, that's the TRUE REASON why they are spending so much time in Gore states (PA, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wis.). They are hoping to steal one back to offset that loss.

Trust me - unless there is something crazy that happens this week, THIS RACE IS OVER. All the internals are working for Kerry and I don't think the GOP can steal enough votes to offset this gathering storm.

Remember this post: Kerry has a SHOT at 52% and about 325 electors.

BTW - where are the parties going to be next Tuesday?

Last edited by 5Reasons; 10-25-2004 at 01:25 PM.
5Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Default Thanks 5...Mr.Tim you are absolutley right

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTim1955
Traditionally young college students don't bother to vote. It's mostly the middle-age crowd and seniors that vote. Young people don't know yet that it is their future they're voting for. Also the candidates don't usually know how to market to the younger generation so they (they youngsters) feel left out.

I think Kerry's campaign slogan of a "January Surprise" will help energize the college crowd. I hope so anyway. I also hope your prediction of a 60-40 split for Kerry comes true. It will show a mandate against the Bush way of doing things.
Thanks 5...You just supported my original statement of the current polls being inaccurate and to throw them out the window.

Mr.Tim you are absolutely correct...Traditionally, younger people don't usually vote and it is ashame when you consider all of the issues that grossly affects them...US!

That is why I encouraged the initial efforts of those celebs with the Vote or Die campaign that was predominately geared towards the younger hip-hop generation. it was until last night when Russell revealed who he was voting for that I didn't completely agree with his methods.

He is far to influential to say that the whole campaign is Non-Partisan only to reveal who he is voting for. He might as well walk around with a Kerry/Edwards pin on his Phat Farm Lapel.

Like I said before...It would have been a different story had he not been involved with the Vote of Die campaign, and supported Kerry. At that point his motives would not have been contradicting as it is now. Currently right now he is using his power and position to sway voters, and through this campaign...I don't feel s though it is right...Although I am in favor of Kerry...I don't feel as though his actions were warranted and truth be told...I lost a lot or respect for him...

It could very well be just me who is thinking this way, but that's how I feel about it.

Oh yeah...Kerry will definitely win Next Tuesday....

5...name the place and time and I will be there. I'll bring the Heinken's...
Old 10-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
J. Sharpe James, J.D.
MASTER MEMBER

Default Hey ROB

Who did Simmons say he was voting for?
J. Sharpe James, J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Default John

Kerry...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Default 5...

a little reading to back up are statements....

From the SL...