Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
counterattack
MASTER MEMBER

Default New Show on thenewarkcitizen.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw-FXxNLjWQ&feature=player_embedded
counterattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Make Newark Clean
MASTER MEMBER

Very spirited show. Rock it's obvious that you and Anton both agree that it takes a functioning village to really raise a child. Anton also took your point about the double standards between charter schools and traditional schools, including how they are siphoning dollars away from the latter while many have no better outcome in educating kids. So, yes, closing schools in and of themselves is not the answer. I agree with you. The state's been at it for 17 years. However, I think Anton only meant to emphasize that failure cannot be tolerated. Failing Newark's children is not an option even against the odds. The next step is to find a way out. And that's where his idea for a think tank comes in.

Look, I believe that Cami Anderson, Cory Booker, maybe even Chris Christie care about making a difference. I also believe they have multiple agendas. For the sake of the kids, I hope they are right. I hope I am wrong in my belief that, after Booker, Cerf, Christie and Ms Anderson get paid and Newark has forgotten them -- that even with a significant sprinkling of success (like when crime comes down 12%) -- the state of education will pretty much remain the same. It risks being more demoralizing than ever.

The problem is in the people, but the people aren't the problem. Anyone who has ever made it in America has had help: some of them help themselves to millions of tax credits in Newark's name. In the end not much gets done. To be fair, taking in Newark's name has been an indigenous pursuit, too.

Of course, schools could all get much better if they run all the poor out of town! (just kidding)
Make Newark Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Policy...Man
Superior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Newark Clean View Post
Very spirited show. Rock it's obvious that you and Anton both agree that it takes a functioning village to really raise a child. Anton also took your point about the double standards between charter schools and traditional schools, including how they are siphoning dollars away from the latter while many have no better outcome in educating kids. So, yes, closing schools in and of themselves is not the answer. I agree with you. The state's been at it for 17 years. However, I think Anton only meant to emphasize that failure cannot be tolerated. Failing Newark's children is not an option even against the odds. The next step is to find a way out. And that's where his idea for a think tank comes in.

Look, I believe that Cami Anderson, Cory Booker, maybe even Chris Christie care about making a difference. I also believe they have multiple agendas. For the sake of the kids, I hope they are right. I hope I am wrong in my belief that, after Booker, Cerf, Christie and Ms Anderson get paid and Newark has forgotten them -- that even with a significant sprinkling of success (like when crime comes down 12%) -- the state of education will pretty much remain the same. It risks being more demoralizing than ever.

The problem is in the people, but the people aren't the problem. Anyone who has ever made it in America has had help: some of them help themselves to millions of tax credits in Newark's name. In the end not much gets done. To be fair, taking in Newark's name has been an indigenous pursuit, too.

Of course, schools could all get much better if they run all the poor out of town! (just kidding)
Good observation, and I agree it was a well spirited show.
Policy...Man is offline   Reply With Quote