Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
counterattack
MASTER MEMBER

Default Our Mayor is a Hero!

Newark Mayor Cory Booker taken to hospital after fire rescue
Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 10:45 PM Updated: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
By Tomas Dinges/The Star-Ledger

Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger
Newark Mayor Cory Booker announced on Twitter that he suffered smoke inhalation while rescuing neighbors from a house fire on his street in Newark. The mayor is pictured during a meeting with The Star-Ledger Editorial Board in February.

NEWARK Newark Mayor Cory Booker was taken to a hospital tonight after a fire broke out in his neighborhood and he went inside to help rescue the occupants, according to a spokeswoman for the mayor.

The fire occurred at a two-story building on Hawthorne Avenue in the Upper Clinton Hill neighborhood, shortly before the mayor had arrived home following a taped television interview on News 12 New Jersey.

The mayor confirmed on his Twitter account tonight that he suffered from smoke inhalation, saying he was on his way to a hospital for treatment.
"Thanks 2 all who are concerned. Just suffering smoke inhalation," Booker tweeted. "We got the woman out of the house. We are both off to hospital. I will b ok."

Twitter
Newark Mayor Cory Booker announced on his Twitter page tonight that he suffered smoke inhalation and was heading to a hospital for treatment.

Additional details about the fire, including how it started and how much damage occurred, were not immediately known.

An unknown number of occupants from the house, next door to the mayor's home, were taken to the hospital for treatment, according to Anne Torres, a spokeswoman for Mayor Booker.
counterattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Poet
Superior Member

This did happen. The Mayor possibly saved the lives of my good friend's in-laws. Bravo, Mr. Mayor (I just wish he wouldn't have tweeted it though...)
Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Doofus1
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet View Post
This did happen. The Mayor possibly saved the lives of my good friend's in-laws. Bravo, Mr. Mayor (I just wish he wouldn't have tweeted it though...)
Too much the politician not to do that, unfortunately.
Doofus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
ForOurYouth
Superior Member

I am proud and I appreciate what Mayor Booker and his security team did for this woman. I don't know if holding a press conference to talk about it is a good idea...a true hero is a humble one.
ForOurYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
David Blount

Default Mayor Booker "Hero" status

I congratulate Mayor Booker on a job well done! I trust he will use his new "Hero" status to rescue Newark from an MUA that will cost Newark much debt and hardship well into the future.
David Blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Indigo_Soul
Superior Member

I can give credit where it is due...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the courage to run Ito a burning building. Good job Booker (wow...it feels weird to say that in a non-sarcastic way!)
Indigo_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
CHAPTER XVIII

Default Something doesn't jive

There should be a coordination of this fire with 911 recordings, radio transmissions and cell phone records of everyone with Booker. I think it will show that Booker running into this burning building that just so happened to be near his sham residence was not all what he claims.

He then uses it for political points by letting the world know this dramatic story about it.

Where was the Fire Department during all of this?
CHAPTER XVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
counterattack
MASTER MEMBER

I apologize for not mentioning Officer Rodriquez as a Hero also.

You are also a Hero Officer Rodriquez! and deserve the same praise!

counterattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
5Reasons
MASTER MEMBER

As a Newarker you become so cynical...but alas I just have to go against my Newarkness and say, "Nice job, Mayor Booker." It truly was a heroic act - and perhaps even foolish, but hey, Cory is just one of "those guys"....it's something endemic with that naive burbarian upbringing that he just can't shake. Either way, he did a selfless act and it challenges us all to be a bit more selfless when it comes to helping our neighbors. At the very least, Mayor Booker, you have great new (and true I might add) material to tell your wealthy friends on the speaking curcuit. My guess is that this Saving Private Ryan moment will earn him at least 10 additional speaking dates.
5Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
brotherderek
Superior Member

Default It's a bird it's plane

No it'd bookerman,The Adventures of bookerman Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! ("Look! Up in the sky!" "It's a bird!" "It's a plane!" "It's bookerman )... Yes, it's bookerman ... strange visitor from another planet, who came to newark with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men! bookerman ... who can change the course of mighty MUA's bend The Devil's in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Corey booker mild-mannered Mayor for a great metropolitan city now, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way! Stay tuned for another exciting episode of the adventures of Bookerman.
brotherderek is offline   Reply With Quote