Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Great Posts

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #151
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Default Once again

this admin..is insulting the intelliegence of the people of Newark...Not only do you guys attempt to commit highway robbery with this money, but then you continually say that you are doing it for the people....Why do something for the people if they don't want it???
Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #152
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by black4rob2
this admin..is insulting the intelliegence of the people of Newark...Not only do you guys attempt to commit highway robbery with this money, but then you continually say that you are doing it for the people....Why do something for the people if they don't want it???
Hey Rob sweetie, how have you been???
Old 03-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #153
thinktank

Default funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyken
Hey Rob sweetie, how have you been???
I see Im the only newarker here....Mr. 5 reasons anything councilman baraka do you have a problem with so I will ignore you mr. James booker...Its sad that just because of the size of the money allocated you are alarmed ...Look at the size of the problem in the community hell we need more money, more money...the problem can not be fixed in 2 months but we can sure began to fix it within the two months...how do we know what the people want Mr. black rob look in the community stevie wonder could see that our community is in dire need of money....Dont get caught up in who is on the board...get involved ...yes there needed to be public hearing about the money but lets all be fair and real Our situation in newark is urgent, our communities need emergency attention lets not be pissed that we wasnt at the table but lets get to the table and take part
Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #154
ChiefAziz

you all have so much to say on this website... Please come to a council meeting and express your concerns there... someone whats to email the council people. Come down to 920 Broad St and go to the 3rd fl room 309 and sign up. the council meetings are generally the 1st wed of the month and the 3 rd wed... call 973-733-6400 to get the exact schedule. You see that is were you can truly voice your concerns... what good is all this talk on here and aint a damn soul going to do anything about it but talk negative about Councilman Baraka who is standing up for the people of Newark everyday... Like my man Hardball JD said... "Where is the March?"
Oh that may require some of you to actually do some work. to actually come out of the closet... Oh thats what I thought... Not going to happen.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #155
ChiefAziz

Default You Cant Handle the Truth

Standing up to violence: A job for all
Thursday, March 02, 2006
They stood in the street, about 20 of them, on a Friday as students were dismissed at Weequahic High School in Newark.

The day before, about 30 showed up. All of them were men, resolute in their cause, taking a stand with their presence.

They came after a school fight between two sets of youths. A group of fellas who didn't go to Weequahic came to get with some students who did. Over what? Who knows?

School security was out there to break it up when the fists started flying. So were Principal Ronald Stone and Vice Principal Ras Baraka. One of the outsiders had a gun, but walked off before using it.

The cops came. They were out there the next day after Baraka, who also sits on the city council now, asked that they be present. It was the kind of help he has wanted for two years. Thirty minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the afternoon to make sure nothing jumps off. That's what he has wanted daily, not when something happens.

But he made another call -- more like several -- and the men came. While the police were across the street, some on their motorcycles, others nearby in a patrol car, the men stood in the street at the corner of the school. They were there to set a tone that said they were not going to tolerate violence.

The Street Warriors, a group of ex-cons, and Saving Our Selves, a group of ex-gang members, were on hand. The Muslim community from Masjid Ali Muslim stepped up with their brothers. There were others, some getting off work in construction clothes, and more concerned men from the neighborhood.

Like Fred Murphy. Anything to help the kids and he's there. If it's just to listen to them, to talk to them and show them there's another way.

"It's easy for kids to do the wrong thing these days," he said. "Doing the right thing for kids is tough. That's backward. They need to be taught that."

Two days after the fight, the police caught an 18-year-old man with an Uzi-style machine gun outside of the school in the morning.

One man, Ali Muslim, shook his head when he heard about it.

"This is not our dream," he said. "That's somebody's else's dream."

He doesn't know any of the kids, but he came out when the call was made to have them understand the nonsense has got to stop.

"You're not going to come here and take over our school," he said. "At some point, the man has got to stand up and be accounted for."

The students are used to seeing Baraka, Stone and school security on the grounds. And they've grown accustomed to Baraka walking several blocks with them to make sure nothing happens on their way home.

"It's a shame that our vice principal and principal have to act like cops to make us feel safe," said Karin Tarver. "They don't have to do this, but they do."

But seeing the others there was a bonus, something the students didn't expect, something they appreciated and would like to see on a regular basis. Most of the problems, they say, come from outsiders trying to disrupt the "I.P," the students' acronym for Indian Pride, their school spirit derived from the school mascot.

Go to any community meeting, street rally or neighborhood gathering spot and inevitably the discussion will pivot toward people organizing to take back the community.

There was no more preaching to the choir on this day. The call went out and the men responded in a big way. Everybody always talks about what needs to be done. Maybe this can be the catalyst to get others on board.

The same people can't do it all the time. If enough men volunteer, the powerful statement they have made with their presence will reverberate not only at Weequahic, but it could cause a movement at other schools as well. The police are not going to stay forever. They can't, but the community can.

Barry Carter covers Newark. He may be reached at bcarter@starledger.com or (973) 392-1827.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #156
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktank
I see Im the only newarker here....Mr. 5 reasons anything councilman baraka do you have a problem with so I will ignore you mr. James booker...Its sad that just because of the size of the money allocated you are alarmed ...Look at the size of the problem in the community hell we need more money, more money...the problem can not be fixed in 2 months but we can sure began to fix it within the two months...how do we know what the people want Mr. black rob look in the community stevie wonder could see that our community is in dire need of money....Dont get caught up in who is on the board...get involved ...yes there needed to be public hearing about the money but lets all be fair and real Our situation in newark is urgent, our communities need emergency attention lets not be pissed that we wasnt at the table but lets get to the table and take part
Okay lets try this... I am trying very hard to not start a back and forth bickering with anyone after the whole "you know who2"... So I digress. No, I am no longer a residnet of the City of Newark and that is due to the NUMEROUS shootings and killings on the block that I lived on. The fact that I could not and would not allow my children to play in the streets due to the open air drug markets and hundreds of drug addicts walking the street where I lived. So I moved to a very quiet and nice block in Irvington. No open air drugs on my block or surrounding blocks. No shootings or killings so far and God willing never will happen. But again I digress.

Back to the situation at hand... What if Baraka is not in office on two months, what happens to the money then???? Straight forward answer please!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #157
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefAziz
Standing up to violence: A job for all
Thursday, March 02, 2006
They stood in the street, about 20 of them, on a Friday as students were dismissed at Weequahic High School in Newark.

The day before, about 30 showed up. All of them were men, resolute in their cause, taking a stand with their presence.

They came after a school fight between two sets of youths. A group of fellas who didn't go to Weequahic came to get with some students who did. Over what? Who knows?

School security was out there to break it up when the fists started flying. So were Principal Ronald Stone and Vice Principal Ras Baraka. One of the outsiders had a gun, but walked off before using it.

The cops came. They were out there the next day after Baraka, who also sits on the city council now, asked that they be present. It was the kind of help he has wanted for two years. Thirty minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the afternoon to make sure nothing jumps off. That's what he has wanted daily, not when something happens.

But he made another call -- more like several -- and the men came. While the police were across the street, some on their motorcycles, others nearby in a patrol car, the men stood in the street at the corner of the school. They were there to set a tone that said they were not going to tolerate violence.

The Street Warriors, a group of ex-cons, and Saving Our Selves, a group of ex-gang members, were on hand. The Muslim community from Masjid Ali Muslim stepped up with their brothers. There were others, some getting off work in construction clothes, and more concerned men from the neighborhood.

Like Fred Murphy. Anything to help the kids and he's there. If it's just to listen to them, to talk to them and show them there's another way.

"It's easy for kids to do the wrong thing these days," he said. "Doing the right thing for kids is tough. That's backward. They need to be taught that."

Two days after the fight, the police caught an 18-year-old man with an Uzi-style machine gun outside of the school in the morning.

One man, Ali Muslim, shook his head when he heard about it.

"This is not our dream," he said. "That's somebody's else's dream."

He doesn't know any of the kids, but he came out when the call was made to have them understand the nonsense has got to stop.

"You're not going to come here and take over our school," he said. "At some point, the man has got to stand up and be accounted for."

The students are used to seeing Baraka, Stone and school security on the grounds. And they've grown accustomed to Baraka walking several blocks with them to make sure nothing happens on their way home.

"It's a shame that our vice principal and principal have to act like cops to make us feel safe," said Karin Tarver. "They don't have to do this, but they do."

But seeing the others there was a bonus, something the students didn't expect, something they appreciated and would like to see on a regular basis. Most of the problems, they say, come from outsiders trying to disrupt the "I.P," the students' acronym for Indian Pride, their school spirit derived from the school mascot.

Go to any community meeting, street rally or neighborhood gathering spot and inevitably the discussion will pivot toward people organizing to take back the community.

There was no more preaching to the choir on this day. The call went out and the men responded in a big way. Everybody always talks about what needs to be done. Maybe this can be the catalyst to get others on board.

The same people can't do it all the time. If enough men volunteer, the powerful statement they have made with their presence will reverberate not only at Weequahic, but it could cause a movement at other schools as well. The police are not going to stay forever. They can't, but the community can.

Barry Carter covers Newark. He may be reached at bcarter@starledger.com or (973) 392-1827.
This is a great story and I applaud every individual that participated in stopping what would have the next "murder" article. But this actually emphasizes what everyone is talking about!!! To deter the murders and shootings, you do not need "redevelopement" you need people that are willing to walk the walk. You do not need $80 million dollars to go to a "fund" you need more officers to deter the crimes that plague the city. Newark is short some 200+ officers to be FULL staffed. Adding more cops is not a sure answer but it is a win-win situation. The cops on staff can not handle the amount of crime that plagues Newark right now!!! With these new two and three families going up in every square inch of the city... how are you securing these areas!!! The schools have security and need more policing. This is not random acts of violence... these kids are armed with uzi attack weapons. The old 22's are out the door. These kids have fire-power~~~~ what are we competing with!?!? Maybe we need a police state to get the streets back then we can work on redevelopment!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #158
keepingitreal

Default Parks are great but

Not sure about you guys but when I grew up I did not go the park. We played in the streets around our houses. That is the problem kids can not even do that here. I do not need money to go to parks right now; how about cleaning up the streets so the kids can play then worry about some parks.

And yes Jazzy I have asked the question at least 4 times what happens when these council people lose their seat where is the acoountabilty then? No answer yet!

And yes Think I do live in Newark.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #159
WassupNwk

Default it pays to stand up ...

whether gov. corzine is going through the motions or not, we need to remain indignant toward the attempted theft. the brakes being applied to mr. james & crew is a major reflection of the immoral act perpetrated on the city. the next council meeting should be packed with citizens facing their alleged leaders and putting their feet over the fire. this is proof that the community has great power, if it chooses to exercise it's right of speech, advocacy, and activism. congrats to the city of newark for standing up to the abuse that now has city hall running for cover.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #160
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WassupNwk
whether gov. corzine is going through the motions or not, we need to remain indignant toward the attempted theft. the brakes being applied to mr. james & crew is a major reflection of the immoral act perpetrated on the city. the next council meeting should be packed with citizens facing their alleged leaders and putting their feet over the fire. this is proof that the community has great power, if it chooses to exercise it's right of speech, advocacy, and activism. congrats to the city of newark for standing up to the abuse that now has city hall running for cover.
Doesn't this makes you feel great about this website???? If you think about, if this website did not exist, no one in Newark would not have heard no more than a peep... You have to love 5 for having his passion about Newark irregardless if you agree or disagree!!!

Love ya 5