Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
LastCubanStanding
MASTER MEMBER

Default How to Improve Newark's Crime Problem

The following paragraph describes the changes in crime on the NYC Subway 1980's to now:

Quote:
At the time, there were 15,000 felonies a year on average in the subway more than 40 every day around the nation's largest mass transit system. Twenty years later, there were just 2,760 felonies reported through Nov. 14 barely eight per day. Murders in the subways, which topped out at 26 in 1990, are at zero for the year.
How did they do it? Again, "The Broken Windows" theory. Start at the bottom of the crime totem pole. They locked up fare evaders and strictly enforced quality of life crimes.

News flash - the guy who just mugged you probably didn't pay his fare.

Enforce quality-of-life laws already on the books and you'll find that most of these are being committed by the same thugs that are robbing and killing. Start rousting them and you'll find that they have guns and drugs on them, as well as open warrants.

You have to want to do it first.
LastCubanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Or we can go with the Raid theory
jazzyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
myhomenewark

Default Tough One

The problem is that Newark is not important to New Jersey. NJ doesn't care about the city. It's an apartheid state. NJ'ans get to section off towns and create school districts so that the state never has to contend with the areas left behind. When they do try to do something they make it seem like it's some sort of charity or that the city should be satisfied with whatever it gets because there's a mentality that it's meant to be a basket case.

The only thing that is going to save Newark is displacement. You're going to have to displace poor people and their no-count ways to someplace else. No one gives a damn in this country about the disadvantaged and that's why a segment of that population is angry, gun-toting and don't give a f__k. It's been in development for years! Heck the city is even a little bit better now than then now that so many have either died of some social disease or been caught up in record incarceration rates.

We all identify. I don't want to live in an area where people are shooting and killing and dealing drugs no more than any other person who gets up and goes to work everyday and makes a decent living. Most folks live in those areas only if they have to (except for those of us who for one reason or another refuse to leave). We think it's fine to leave it all behind. What else can you do? America doesn't care about you if your skin is dark and your ancestors were slaves. They'd rather stand around a luxury building worried about about a red-tailed hawk--all the while stepping over the homeless man in the vestibule next door.

What will it take? I don't know. Many areas Newark has been written off a long time ago
myhomenewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

myhomenewark, well put. As I raise my children I instill in the the quality of life. Good life. We show them the best and keep them aware of the worst. We show them LOVE and AFFECTION. We read to them at night. We praise their triumphs and work with them on their failures. That is what I believe "Good Parenting" is. I am not saying we are the best parents... but my daughters are not wearing skin tight clothes and their self esteems are hig. I tell them everyday to be independent. Never depend on anyone including me. I will always do my best but try it for yourselves first. I teach my sons... RESPECT women. Never ever think they are below you on any level. Make your own money and love whatever you do. My son (9y/o) wants to become a teacher so I let him teach my 3 y/o. It is a sight to see. But I encourage any behavior that will keep them off the corner. No rap music w/ bit** and hoes. No sexual explicit videos goin on. My kids see me kiss my husband and see us hold hands. Not that cooch** crap you see on that ghetto website My kids know bills need to be paid and we work HARD to make sure they have the neccessities. I refuse to spend $180 for gortex boots when I can buy timbs on sale and buy food for a week. heck I can even get my cable bill in there too. But they know. I am raising them to BUY homes. Eventhough mommy and daddy rent and we pay alot, we are in the process of saving and buying next year. And they are involved in the process. It is about RAISING Men and Women and not thugs and Nigg***
Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

WOW I went way off topic. But it still works!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
myhomenewark

Default Good For You Jazzy

I wish we could bottle your seriousness and sell it. We are now two generations from the original teenage pregnancy explosion. It was babies raising babies. There are grandmothers out there who aren't 40 yet. It's a shame what has befallen the poor black community. I just don't see it getting better without, one, either an agenda set by the NAACP and other black interests to save poor black families which includes a Cosby-type admonishment to elevate thinking and not so much emphasis on religion as opposed to what is in the best interest from a self-preservation standpoint AND/OR massive government programs done the right way to right the wrongs of the past.

The problem is that the element is so thick out there is that you can teach a child everything you think is right and it still can go wayward. Some of the worst ho's I knew growing up (sorry for being indelicate here; I'm plain-spoken) were preacher's daughters.

The most important thing we need to know is that we have value. Jesse Jackson was onto it even though it sounded hokey when he had kids, teenagers and adults chant "I am somebody." Words change meaning. So if kids feel comfortable with a redefinition of the "N" word then I submit it's not to fight them on that, but to redefine that word in their eyes so that when they say it, it becomes the proclamation of King of my own destiny, no-nonsense and making my way in this world with a sense of black identity so strong and powerful that it wouldn't be cowed. i can be a little radical with certain things. We need to stop being so concerned about "god without" and develop a "god within." And we must always look inward dispassionately. Still everyday I challenge myself to love myself more--because it gives me peace and open doors that I thought I could never reach.

Bit of a ramble but I'm going to leave it like it is.
myhomenewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Still working on that Raid Theory for Newark

As far as teen pregnancy, it begins at home. My grandmother had children early (no tv). My mom waited until she was in her mid 20's. I had mine at 17 and I was out of high school. That was my reason. I was not a "teen" per say. I wanted to be independent. I was not a welfare case, nor did I recieve any "money" from childsupport. I worked my behind off and went to school. I busted my as* to raise my daughter. After 5 years I met my dear hubby and he showed me the good struggle. Where you struggle to get more and not just to have. We prospered together and our main focus is our children. We have to show our children these things. Not to have kids and get a check every month. Not to get free milk and cheese and to sit on our behinds and wait for the good ship.

Now let me be clear, I am not knocking those on assitance that truly NEED assistance. i am speaking of the welfare mom's that wait until the first and spend their whole check on sneakers and gold chains.

Everything begins and ends at home...
Old 12-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
Miss Tam-Tam
MASTER MEMBER

Default The New York Times

December 17, 2004
Residents Rally for a Response to 8 Killings in Newark
By DAMIEN CAVE

NEWARK, Dec. 16 - Two days after four young people were killed in separate execution-style shootings, and three weeks after a similar slaughter, residents of this hard-pressed city rallied on Thursday to demand a response from Mayor Sharpe James, who they said was minimizing the violence.

About 30 people showed up for a hastily called rally on the steps of City Hall to complain about the climbing murder rate and what they said was cold indifference from city officials. So far, 85 people have been killed here this year, police statistics show, compared with 83 in 2003 and 68 in 2002. Since Thanksgiving Day, there have been eight murders, the police say, a per capita rate that outpaced New York City during the same period.

Members of the clergy, community leaders and friends and relatives of the crime victims said Mr. James, who has been mayor since 1986, had not done enough to address the violence.

Russell Yancey, 45, an unemployed computer technician who attended the rally, said he had lost faith in the city's leader, after more than 15 years of support.

"Sharpe James is more concerned with himself than with his city," Mr. Yancey said. "He is out of touch with the people who put him in office."

The killings on Tuesday occurred within a two-mile section of the city's South and West Wards. The violence started around 2:30 p.m. Sutton Davis, 22, was shot five times on South 15th Street, the police said; about two hours later, Robert Brown, 26, was gunned down on Clinton Avenue; and Nyru Simmonds, 20, was shot later that night on Elizabeth Avenue near Meeker Avenue, and died at University Hospital in Newark at 1 a.m., according to the police. The fourth victim, Ronald Logan, 20, was shot about 8:30 p.m. in the hallway of an apartment at 416 Irvine Turner Boulevard.

On Nov. 26, the bodies of three men and a woman were found lying face down, side by side, with coats over their heads, in a vacant lot near a church in the South Ward. Each had been shot in the head, the police said.

At the rally and in telephone interviews, many residents said that the eight murders, coming so close together, had brought concerns about the city's priorities to the surface.

While Newark is enjoying a mild revival, with property values on the rise, clergy members and residents questioned whether neighborhood crime-fighting had been pushed aside by downtown building projects, like a proposed $310 million hockey arena. The city seems more concerned with newcomers, they said, than residents.

"They ignore the plight of the population for the sake of buildings that will be used mostly for people from outside," said the Rev. Raul Comesanas, the pastor St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church, next to the vacant lot in the South Ward where the four bodies had been dumped.

Salaam Ismial, chairman of the National United Youth Council, a youth advocacy organization, agreed. "We're tired," he said. "There are black people suffering and the only thing the mayor can do is talk about downtown."

Mayor James declined requests for interviews. He issued a statement praising the heroism of the police and denouncing the killings.

After the rally, the deputy mayor, Ras Baraka, said it was unfair to blame city government for problems that had their roots in poverty, unemployment and other social ills. "The mayor could come to every meeting in the city," he said. "That doesn't mean people will stop shooting each other."

The police director, Anthony Ambrose, said at a news conference on Wednesday that overall crime was down 9 percent from 2003, and that most residents did not have to fear violence, because it typically involved criminals attacking criminals. Mr. James has said that the four people shot on Tuesday were involved in gangs.

The police said that three arrests were made Tuesday night. Two of the suspects - Tony Johnson, 19, and an unidentified 17-year-old - were arrested after a chase that led the police to Elizabeth and ended with the suspects' car crashing into several parked vehicles on North and Newark Avenues. A third suspect, Noel Riddick, 26, was arrested when he walked into University Hospital with a gunshot wound and was recognized by an officer who had exchanged gunfire with one of the suspects. Despite the arrests, Stephen Adubato Sr., a local power broker and founder of the North Ward Center, a social services agency, said that the entire city had been shocked. "We're turning the corner economically, so it would seem that this is a time where we would be safer since there is more reason to protect what we have," he said. "But instead, there's this."

Friends of at least one of the victims also took issue with the mayor's charge that everyone involved in the shootings had ties to gangs. Nichelle Woolridge, 27, Robert Brown's fiancée, said that Mr. Brown, an aspiring rapper, only wanted to make music and get married.

Kent Stokes, 33, a friend of Mr. Brown's who said he was with him when he died, criticized the mayor and the police for assuming that the victims were criminals. "You see a cop get killed and they find a suspect," he said. "But they can't find who killed my brother."
Miss Tam-Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
black4rob2
MASTER MEMBER

Default Unfortunately Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyken
myhomenewark, well put. As I raise my children I instill in the the quality of life. Good life. We show them the best and keep them aware of the worst. We show them LOVE and AFFECTION. We read to them at night. We praise their triumphs and work with them on their failures. That is what I believe "Good Parenting" is. I am not saying we are the best parents... It is about RAISING Men and Women and not thugs and Nigg***
There isn't too many people like yourself and your husband. Majority of people around here think that good parenting is making sure your kids have all the latest fashions and games, and that he wakes up and go to school.

As much as Sharpe James and his administration gets blamed for a lot of the things that goes on around here (rightfully so) so should the parents of these kids walking around at 1-2 in the morning.

How can I expect a kid on the street to respect me or a cop if he doesn't respect his parents and if his parents doesn't respect him. These kids react the way that they were taught in any situation. They live on the street, so they have street knowledge...they live at home and parents are involved in their lives...then you see some discipline and respect in that child.

Just my thoughts ya'll!!!
black4rob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
jazzyken
MASTER MEMBER

Rob, when the lucky lady snatches you up she will have a good one on her hands