Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
nom de plume

Default Five days in Rio on Newark's credit card

Five days in Rio on Newark's credit card
On trips, James used little-known account
Sunday, August 20, 2006
BY IAN T. SHEARN AND JEFFERY C. MAYS
Star-Ledger Staff
In the final week of his 20-year tenure as mayor of Newark, Sharpe James took a five-day trip to Rio de Janeiro, staying in a luxury hotel and dining at some of the city's finest restaurants.

Newark taxpayers paid the tab, which exceeded $6,500, according to credit card records obtained by The Star-Ledger.

The mayor, traveling with an aide and two police bodyguards, stayed at Caesar Park Ipanema Hotel, a four-star resort, and enjoyed meals at Marius Crustaceos and Don Camillo, upscale eateries on the Copacabana beachfront. Rio, at the time, was in the grip of World Cup soccer fever, as the Brazilian team neared the end of its unsuccessful run in the tournament.

James said yesterday the June 23-27 trip was purely business, following up on a 2004 visit there when he lectured on "affirmative action, sanitation, housing and poor people" -- as a guest of the U.S. State Department.

Of his more recent trip, James said: "I went to the consul general and met with him to discuss these issues. I wanted to see if my (earlier) visit paid off, and I found out it did pay off."

Asked why he needed to travel with two bodyguards, James said that "Brazil is a hot spot for crime -- everybody knows that."

The expenses for the trip were the final charges on an $80,000 tab James and his security detail accumulated over a 2 1/2-year period using a Platinum Plus Visa card issued to "Sharpe James Newark Mayor Sec Pol Bus" and paid for with Newark Police Department funds, records show. The use of this card for the former mayor's expenses has not been previously disclosed.
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....870.xml&coll=1
nom de plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
CaseClosed

Default Who was the aide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nom de plume
Five days in Rio on Newark's credit card
On trips, James used little-known account
Sunday, August 20, 2006
BY IAN T. SHEARN AND JEFFERY C. MAYS
Star-Ledger Staff
In the final week of his 20-year tenure as mayor of Newark, Sharpe James took a five-day trip to Rio de Janeiro, staying in a luxury hotel and dining at some of the city's finest restaurants.

Newark taxpayers paid the tab, which exceeded $6,500, according to credit card records obtained by The Star-Ledger.

The mayor, traveling with an aide and two police bodyguards, stayed at Caesar Park Ipanema Hotel, a four-star resort, and enjoyed meals at Marius Crustaceos and Don Camillo, upscale eateries on the Copacabana beachfront. Rio, at the time, was in the grip of World Cup soccer fever, as the Brazilian team neared the end of its unsuccessful run in the tournament.

James said yesterday the June 23-27 trip was purely business, following up on a 2004 visit there when he lectured on "affirmative action, sanitation, housing and poor people" -- as a guest of the U.S. State Department.

Of his more recent trip, James said: "I went to the consul general and met with him to discuss these issues. I wanted to see if my (earlier) visit paid off, and I found out it did pay off."

Asked why he needed to travel with two bodyguards, James said that "Brazil is a hot spot for crime -- everybody knows that."

The expenses for the trip were the final charges on an $80,000 tab James and his security detail accumulated over a 2 1/2-year period using a Platinum Plus Visa card issued to "Sharpe James Newark Mayor Sec Pol Bus" and paid for with Newark Police Department funds, records show. The use of this card for the former mayor's expenses has not been previously disclosed.
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....870.xml&coll=1

chosen to spend time in the sun with King James? I bet it wasn't Mrs. James who would have loved to bask in the sun with the King.
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Miss Tam-Tam
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseClosed
Who was the aide chosen to spend time in the sun with King James? I bet it wasn't Mrs. James who would have loved to bask in the sun with the King.
Could it have been the girls from Ipanema?

Rio at Night
Miss Tam-Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
CaseClosed

Default Ha Ha Too Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tam-Tam
Could it have been the girls from Ipanema?

Rio at Night
James didn't have to go all the way to Rio to see that when Miami is closer.
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
5Reasons
MASTER MEMBER

Thanks, Ms. Tam-Tam. I hope that's what Sharpe was looking at. My boy was Living Lavita Loca up in this motha.

I tell ya, you have to wonder what the heck he was thinking. Didn't he know that this was all going to, eventually, get traced. And I'm sure Booker, no matter how good the audits, will never know the half of it. Booker and the Ledger are going to bleed stories like this for the next 2 years. This is going to be their UMNDJ-type series.

Sharpe and the crew should get out of dodge ASAP. It's only going to get hotter from here.
5Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
OneEyeOpen
Superior Member

Default Just as curious to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Reasons
Thanks, Ms. Tam-Tam. I hope that's what Sharpe was looking at. My boy was Living Lavita Loca up in this motha.

I tell ya, you have to wonder what the heck he was thinking. Didn't he know that this was all going to, eventually, get traced. And I'm sure Booker, no matter how good the audits, will never know the half of it. Booker and the Ledger are going to bleed stories like this for the next 2 years. This is going to be their UMNDJ-type series.

Sharpe and the crew should get out of dodge ASAP. It's only going to get hotter from here.
is what exactly was he doing there on June 23-27, 2006, once we get past his absurd excuse that he was "following up on a 2004 visit there when he lectured on "affirmative action, sanitation, housing and poor people" -- as a guest of the U.S. State Department." Since the evidence is he clear to anyone with eyes and a functioning brain that Sharpe never implemented any of those policies in Newark that he claimed he lectured the Brazilians on, what exactly was he doing in romantic Rio with his 29 year old aide, Alturrick Kenney. We know that Kenney was appointed to a four year term at the Newark Homeless Commission by Sharpe James on June 9, 2006 during one of those now infamous eleventh hour council meetings, but what exactly makes Alturrick Kenney qualified for this position? Other than the fact that he apparently can keep his mouth shut in public and defer all responses to Sharpe James, what is it exactly that he's doing that makes him more qualified than any other person? Was Sharpe hoping to teach Mr. Kenney about homelessness in a four-star Rio resort, while dining in the finest eateries in Brazil?

Mr. Kenney was arrested in 1997 for assault on a police officer in Washington DC, so I'm trying to figure out how he passed the vetting process for a mayoral aide position, and is going on trips to Rio as what was apparently a trusted member of his administration.

Last edited by OneEyeOpen; 08-21-2006 at 01:38 AM.
OneEyeOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
Make Newark Clean
MASTER MEMBER

Is any of this indictable? It sure sounds like it should be.

This kat was like trying to shake a booger off your finger. He delivers fraudulent petitions feigning as if he's going to run for mayor again, damaging his apparent heir. He attempts to create $80 million no-agenda nonprofits as if he really needed more public income. When his boy and team were TROUNCED in the election, he still has the audacity to jet away on a bon voyage junket!!! ??? Breathtaking! Is there no end to the absurdity of his greed? Does he even see us??

With Sharpe James' disdain for the spirit of conflict-of-interest laws, and considering all he and his crew have gotten away with, I want the first solid, actionable offense prosecuted to the fullest extent provided by law!
Make Newark Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Thewifeofapopo
Superior Member

Default Funny you should mention Rio

There is a big issue in Essence Magazine that says Rio is where Black men secretly escape to have affairs with the Brazilian women, who they pay for services Case I seriously doubt he took his wife.

Check out this Month's Essence Magazine!
Thewifeofapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Miss Tam-Tam
MASTER MEMBER

Talking Don't ask, don't tell, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewifeofapopo

There is a big issue in Essence Magazine that says Rio is where Black men secretly escape to have affairs with the Brazilian women, who they pay for services Case I seriously doubt he took his wife.
Check out this Month's Essence Magazine!
Link to Essence online article:

http://www.essence.com/essence/lifes...227036,00.html

Related article: http://www.gringoguides.com/rio-sex.shtml
Miss Tam-Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
zengeist
Superior Member

Eh, Brazil has some of the worse ghettos in the world and is highly segregated. I'm pretty sure that wasn't a business trip and it sure as hell wasn't a lecture on how to improve someone else's ghettos either.

Sharpe in a favela, imagine that.
zengeist is offline   Reply With Quote