Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
nom de plume

Default New cop director stresses quality of life

New cop director stresses quality of life
Friday, September 08, 2006
BY JONATHAN SCHUPPE
Star-Ledger Staff
Garry McCarthy says he plans to approach his new job as Newark police director the same way he approached his old job as chief strategist for the New York Police Department: enforce quality-of-life laws to clean up neighborhoods while cracking down on the violent drug trade.

"If you change the quality of life, you also eliminate conditions that foster crime, and that's at the cornerstone of what we've done in New York," McCarthy said yesterday during a news conference in which Mayor Cory Booker formally introduced him to the public.

"At first blush, I'm very concerned about narcotics enforcement and the way it is conducted here in Newark," the 47-year-old McCarthy said. "The vast majority of crime is connected to narcotics, and how you deal with it drives crime reduction."

Noting that Newark's murder rate is six times that of New York City, McCarthy said, "That is unacceptable, but that is about to change."

A lot is riding on McCarthy's appointment, which Booker announced Wednesday after a 3 1/2-month nationwide search. The mayor says he's staking his administration's reputation on its ability to curb violent crime, particularly the rising number of homicides.

Booker said he wants to work with McCarthy to help change Newark's image from one of "fear and crime" to one of "possibility and hope."

"His entire professional career has stood for excellence," Booker said.

The Bronx-born McCarthy is a 25-year veteran of the NYPD. Since 2000, he has been deputy commis sioner of operations, acting as the department's chief crime strategist. He oversees Compstat, a computerized crime-tracking system that has been credited for New York's historic drop in crime and has been copied by police departments around the country, including Newark's.

Before becoming deputy commissioner, McCarthy was a commander in several precincts around the city, earning a reputation for establishing innovative methods to cut crime while boosting the department's relations with the pub lic.

At the 70th Precinct in Brooklyn, he was credited with calming tensions after the station- house torture of Haitian immigrant Abner Louima.

At the 33rd Precinct in Washington Heights, he developed a "model block" program to take neighborhoods back from drug dealers.

At the 20th Precinct on the Upper West Side, he cut grand lar cenies in part by getting stores to prosecute more shoplifters, many of whom turned out to be career criminals.

"He's not afraid to get down into the streets and work with people," former NYPD Commissioner Howard Safir, who promoted McCarthy to deputy commissioner, said in an interview.

East Orange Police Commis sioner Jose Cordero, a former inspector in the NYPD, said McCar thy would bring a fresh approach to Newark by aggressively investigating drug dealers and street gangs and other criminal groups.

At yesterday's news conference, McCarthy and Booker answered questions about problems in McCarthy's past, including a 2005 incident in which McCarthy and his wife were charged with interfering with officers on the Palisades Interstate Parkway who were ticketing their teenage daughter. The McCarthys were fined $230.

Booker called it "a minor, minor thing" in comparison to the situation in Newark, "where kids are being killed with chilling regularity." McCarthy said he wished it never happened and was trying "to put it behind me."

McCarthy's appointment must be approved by the City Council, whose nine members are Booker allies.

In interviews yesterday, many council members said they were impressed by McCarthy. But Councilman Luis Quintana said he wanted to talk with McCarthy more before voting. Quintana said he was put off by McCarthy's comments in yesterday's Star-Ledger that "the community here in Newark has been held hostage by crime for at least three decades."

"I've lived here for four decades. It's been up and down, good times and bad times. He shouldn't have mentioned that," Quintana said. "We've got to build the morale."

Staff writer Jeffrey C. Mays contributed to this report. Jonathan Schuppe covers Newark. He may be reached at jschuppe@starledger.com or (973) 392-7960.
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/...l=1&thispage=1
nom de plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Thewifeofapopo
Superior Member

Default I will remain

Optimistic and pray that he is the man to do the job!!!
Thewifeofapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
nom de plume

Default New York City Crime Strategist Picked as Director of Newark Police Force

Here's another article regarding his hire and the City of Newark.

September 7, 2006
New York City Crime Strategist Picked as Director of Newark Police Force
By ANDREW JACOBS

NEWARK, Sept. 6 — Mayor Cory A. Booker has chosen New York City’s top crime strategist to lead the police department of this city, which has been struggling against a rising tide of homicides, shootings and public unease.

The mayor’s choice, Garry F. McCarthy, a 25-year veteran of the force, has been the New York Police Department’s deputy commissioner of operations for the past seven years, a period in which violent crime has dropped significantly. Mr. McCarthy, 47, helped set up Compstat, the data-collection program for crime statistics embraced by the Giuliani administration and since adopted by police departments nationwide.

“Garry McCarthy is the leader Newark has been looking for,” said Mayor Booker, who has made public safety the linchpin of his administration. “I’m confident that with his leadership, combined with all of our efforts across the city, we will create a nationally recognized model for crime reduction.”

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly of New York said Mr. McCarthy’s strong suit was his ability to size up a hot spot and then figure out how to attack it best. “He’s very smart, very analytical and very tenacious,” Commissioner Kelly said.

Mr. McCarthy would replace Anthony Ambrose, the former police director who retired on June 30, the day before Mr. Booker took office. The Newark force has dropped to 1,300 from 1,475 in 2001, and has been buffeted by outdated equipment, negative publicity and sagging morale. With a starting salary of $26,561, Newark police officers — who have been working without a contract since 2004 — are among the lowest paid in the state.

The son of a New York City detective, Mr. McCarthy said he would take a zealous approach to law enforcement, applying the analytical skills he learned as a statistician and the policing tactics he learned as a beat officer in the Bronx in the 1980’s. “Reducing crime is my specialty,” Mr. McCarthy said in an interview Wednesday. “There’s a lot of work to be done in Newark, but I’m looking forward to the challenge. There are a thousand things we can do — fighting gangs, guns, drugs and quality-of-life violations — and I know I can make a difference.”

Mr. McCarthy, who lives in Rockland County, said he and his wife would move to Newark. By hiring someone from across the Hudson, Mayor Booker is diverging from tradition in Newark, where department leaders are often chosen from within the ranks. The mayor conducted a nationwide search for the position, saying he wanted the best candidate possible.

The Municipal Council must still vote on Mr. McCarthy’s hiring, although his confirmation is expected. Augusto Amador, one of four council members who interviewed Mr. McCarthy last month, said he and his colleagues were impressed by his credentials and his thoughts on reining in crime. “I don’t think there will be a problem,” he said of Mr. McCarthy’s confirmation.

Mr. McCarthy does not come without some baggage. Some critics have described his demeanor as occasionally gruff, and there has been much talk in New York about a confrontation last year in which he was arrested by two officers with the Palisades Interstate Police at a gas station on the parkway.

In March, a judge fined him and his wife $200 each for blocking traffic with his police-issued vehicle while they argued with the officers, who had issued a summons to their 18-year-old daughter, who was driving another car. At the hearing, the officers testified that Mr. McCarthy had been drinking and that he used profanities during the confrontation, which started after his daughter parked in a handicapped zone.

In an interview last night, Mr. McCarthy was unapologetic about the incident, saying he was simply protecting his daughter. “I will stake my career and reputation against any of the people involved in the incident,” he said.

In 1983, Mr. McCarthy was disciplined by the New York Police Department for an incident in the Bronx on St. Patrick’s Day, during which he was off duty and drinking when he and his brother, then a state trooper, were confronted by a group of men with a growling dog on a leash. During the dispute, Mr. McCarthy gestured to his gun, he told officials at the time. Mr. McCarthy acknowledged that his conduct was inappropriate, but that it was accepted practice at the time. “That was 23 years ago,” he said. “I think the more important thing is that crime in New York is down 40 percent since I became deputy commissioner.”

Derrick Hatcher, president of the Newark police union, the Fraternal Order of Police, said he was looking forward to meeting with Mr. McCarthy. He said past police directors had been inattentive and at times hostile to the rank and file. “Let’s just say our relationship with management hasn’t been very good,” he said, adding that his members had been chafing under a wave of disciplinary action cases that now number more than 1,000.

Word of Mr. McCarthy’s selection came on the same day that Mr. Booker announced at a news conference the results of his Safe Summer program, an anticrime initiative in which the police, community activists and religious leaders descended on the city’s most lawless neighborhoods every weekend. Although crime dropped in those areas — and violent crime was down markedly in July and August — the number of homicides in the city has jumped to 77 so far this year, up from 60 in the same period last year. Shootings have also been climbing this summer.

Standing beside a series of charts that showed the mixed results, Mayor Booker insisted that his administration would eventually triumph over the violence that plagues New Jersey’s largest city. “We cannot give in to fear,’’ he said. “We cannot give in to hopelessness. I stand here today to accept responsibility for what happens in this city. I want you to hold me accountable.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/07/ny...934&ei=5087%0A
nom de plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Make Newark Clean
MASTER MEMBER

Garry McCarthy seems like someone who seeks to see the whole picture.

I am encouraged, excited even, of the prospect of Newark modeling change that the whole country can envy under his leadership. Our mayor may have made a very wise choice.
Make Newark Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
JoefromPGH
MASTER MEMBER

I too hold some optimism, especially since the Mayor is hinging his political future on making Newark a safer city. Frankly, I would have preferred a Black or Hispanic chief but, hey, as long as this guy makes it a priority to build morale within the ranks and fosters programs that will make the streets safer, I don't care what color or ethnic group he belongs to.

I can't believe the starting salary of a Newark law enforement officer. Is that for real? That pay is inadequate for one to be on the streets, contstantly in danger. I will say that that re-affirms a thought that many individuals go into policing becuase they truly want to make a difference because unless they move up in the ranks, the pay is not worth it.
JoefromPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
CaseClosed

Default I will wait

and see if McCarthy will be able to end the murders in our city. And if he can, I will be one of his biggest supporters.

I saw him on the news and based on his accomplishments in New York City, he could do the same for Newark. I never questioned his abilities as a cop; I questioned his alcohol issues. And since he's moving to Newark, I expect him to want his family living in a safe environment, and if he has a thug like mentality, perhaps that is what's needed to rid our city of the thugs, drug dealers and gangbangers.
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
OneEyeOpen
Superior Member

Default McCarthy is the real deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseClosed
and see if McCarthy will be able to end the murders in our city. And if he can, I will be one of his biggest supporters.

I saw him on the news and based on his accomplishments in New York City, he could do the same for Newark. I never questioned his abilities as a cop; I questioned his alcohol issues. And since he's moving to Newark, I expect him to want his family living in a safe environment, and if he has a thug like mentality, perhaps that is what's needed to rid our city of the thugs, drug dealers and gangbangers.
I do know this man, and I assure you he is not the kind that suffers fools well. He will demand that the NPD be the best it can. He will not be well liked by those not interested in working, but the city should see improvement as those who do like to work will be supported, as Garry is what they refer to as a cops cop, at least that was what I remember of him.
OneEyeOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
CaseClosed

Default One

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyeOpen
I do know this man, and I assure you he is not the kind that suffers fools well. He will demand that the NPD be the best it can. He will not be well liked by those not interested in working, but the city should see improvement as those who do like to work will be supported, as Garry is what they refer to as a cops cop, at least that was what I remember of him.
the more I learn about McCarthy, the more I think he may be the answer to the violence and murders that plagues Newark. He is an outsider and he doesn't have to answer to crooked politicans in the City. His main objective will be to lower murders and increase a quality of life for the residents of Newark. If he is able to do this, I won't speak about his alcohol issues which happened 20 years ago because those issues haven't prevented him from performing his job today and in the future.

McCarthy won't get a free pass from ME until I see positive results.
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
CaptainJim59
Superior Member

Default And why would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromPGH
I too hold some optimism, especially since the Mayor is hinging his political future on making Newark a safer city. Frankly, I would have preferred a Black or Hispanic chief but, hey, as long as this guy makes it a priority to build morale within the ranks and fosters programs that will make the streets safer, I don't care what color or ethnic group he belongs to.

I can't believe the starting salary of a Newark law enforement officer. Is that for real? That pay is inadequate for one to be on the streets, contstantly in danger. I will say that that re-affirms a thought that many individuals go into policing becuase they truly want to make a difference because unless they move up in the ranks, the pay is not worth it.
you prefer a black or hispanic, rather than a black, hispanic or white, choosing the most qualified?
CaptainJim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Thewifeofapopo
Superior Member

Default Case....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseClosed
the more I learn about McCarthy, the more I think he may be the answer to the violence and murders that plagues Newark. He is an outsider and he doesn't have to answer to crooked politicans in the City. His main objective will be to lower murders and increase a quality of life for the residents of Newark. If he is able to do this, I won't speak about his alcohol issues which happened 20 years ago because those issues haven't prevented him from performing his job today and in the future.

McCarthy won't get a free pass from ME until I see positive results.

Do you really believe that McCarthy is an "outsider", I'm curious to know who recommended Mr. McCarthy! I hear that McCarthy is know outsider to some of the higher ups in the Newark Police Dept!! I think someone mentioned before how Fonseca is making all of the decisions for Cory Booker!!! Do you think that he made this recommendation??? AGAIN, I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE THAT MR. McCarthy is a stranger to the higher ups in the Newark police dept.....as the saying goes "Birds of a feather flock together"

I hope the streets will get clean, not sure how it would impact the corruption that has festered for many years inside the Police Dept!!

Why wasn't Rankin given another chance??
Thewifeofapopo is offline   Reply With Quote