Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Make Newark Clean
MASTER MEMBER

Default Would The Newarks of America Be Safer If We Legalized Drugs?

This is a thorny issue; however, from the information that I've examined, it seems common sense that legalizing drugs would make places like Newark a better place for all.

Most of those arrested for drugs are nonviolent offenders. These folks then are cycled into the neo-slavery "correctional" system. It hardens them. It reduces hope for their lives. They made a financial mistake, and now have their second-class citizenship codified in the form of a permanent criminal record. So, therefore, these same kats feel they have less to lose as they try to make ends meet in an area devoid of meaningful employment and opportunity. When groups of people feel that they have nothing to lose for too long, well you have the recipe for what we have today. Each bust, reduces their opportunities to thrive legally. Each infraction reduces respect for society and people, neighborhoods, and giving a darn about right and wrong collapse.

Here is the late, noted economist Milton Friedman's take on legalizing drugs from an interview conducted several years ago: http://www.druglibrary.org/SCHAFFER/Misc/friedm1.htm

Real discussion of issues like these are what our politicians need to focus on, rather than the run-of-the-mill inspirational rhetoric that falls flat once the leader leaves the pulpit.
Make Newark Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
LastCubanStanding
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Newark Clean
This is a thorny issue; however, from the information that I've examined, it seems common sense that legalizing drugs would make places like Newark a better place for all.

Most of those arrested for drugs are nonviolent offenders. These folks then are cycled into the neo-slavery "correctional" system. It hardens them. It reduces hope for their lives. They made a financial mistake, and now have their second-class citizenship codified in the form of a permanent criminal record. So, therefore, these same kats feel they have less to lose as they try to make ends meet in an area devoid of meaningful employment and opportunity. When groups of people feel that they have nothing to lose for too long, well you have the recipe for what we have today. Each bust, reduces their opportunities to thrive legally. Each infraction reduces respect for society and people, neighborhoods, and giving a darn about right and wrong collapse.

Here is the late, noted economist Milton Friedman's take on legalizing drugs from an interview conducted several years ago: http://www.druglibrary.org/SCHAFFER/Misc/friedm1.htm

Real discussion of issues like these are what our politicians need to focus on, rather than the run-of-the-mill inspirational rhetoric that falls flat once the leader leaves the pulpit.
Interesting topic. My question is, will legalizing drugs promote drug use? If cigarettes were outlawed, would use go down? Don't know.
LastCubanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
CaptainJim59
Superior Member

Default Yeah, legalize them...

for your kids. I'll keep them illegal for mine. Legalize and you will have more zombies walking around than there are currently.
CaptainJim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
CaseClosed

Default Legalizing Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Newark Clean

would mean the government would get its cut of profits in the form of taxes. The government would be the drug dealers

And we'd have more and more people using. I don't think it's a good idea.
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
LastCubanStanding
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseClosed
And we'd have more and more people using.
Is that really the case? Just asking.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Thewifeofapopo
Superior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseClosed
would mean the government would get its cut of profits in the form of taxes. The government would be the drug dealers

And we'd have more and more people using. I don't think it's a good idea.

The government is already the drug dealers. How do you think illegal drugs cross our boarders?

Unless you can reform ex-offenders, rehabilitate drug users, and provide jobs and programs that would aide in assisting these people to reacclimate back into society, you may be very well setting them up for failure. The users would continue to use and the ex-offenders would resort to other crimes to make ends meet.
Thewifeofapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
CaptainJim59
Superior Member

Default Yeah its the government....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewifeofapopo

The government is already the drug dealers. How do you think illegal drugs cross our boarders?

Unless you can reform ex-offenders, rehabilitate drug users, and provide jobs and programs that would aide in assisting these people to reacclimate back into society, you may be very well setting them up for failure. The users would continue to use and the ex-offenders would resort to other crimes to make ends meet.
This forum makes my day.
CaptainJim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
CaseClosed

Default I Never Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastCubanStanding
Is that really the case? Just asking.

I would hear about men and women who are in their 70's using and selling drugs. These are our elders resorting to illegal activities, so, anything is probable today.
CaseClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
TE2
Banned

Did I not say something simular and I was Attacked from top to bottom, I stated that if you were to legalize drugs it would take the Profit margin out of the bussiness, and it would help in a whole lot of ways since there seems to be Billions made daily.
Could you think of the many programs that could be started with Just the Tax money that comes from the drugs.

If in New York the Cops make a Bust of 9 million worth of Crank, lets look at the monies that can be generated.
If in Newark the NPD make a big bust of Hit's (Pills) 6 Million dollar bust look at what we could do with that Taxable money.

Now lastley if we were to take the Profit Margin out of the Game the Game will be Over, and Guess what their are some Big Players in this Game, ie Goverment- and will never allow for this to happen.

Do you think if we took the money making out of Drug dealing we would have less shooting in Newark, Less Murder in Columbia, Less broken Holmes in Atlanta, Less People in Jails for senseless, non Violent Offences,

If we say that the people hustling are hustling for the amount of money they can make in a day, Common Sense say's take the large amount of money that can be made out of the deal.

Just my opinion-----------What Say You------------------.
TE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
LastCubanStanding
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE2
Did I not say something simular and I was Attacked from top to bottom, I stated that if you were to legalize drugs it would take the Profit margin out of the bussiness, and it would help in a whole lot of ways since there seems to be Billions made daily.
Could you think of the many programs that could be started with Just the Tax money that comes from the drugs.

If in New York the Cops make a Bust of 9 million worth of Crank, lets look at the monies that can be generated.
If in Newark the NPD make a big bust of Hit's (Pills) 6 Million dollar bust look at what we could do with that Taxable money.

Now lastley if we were to take the Profit Margin out of the Game the Game will be Over, and Guess what their are some Big Players in this Game, ie Goverment- and will never allow for this to happen.

Do you think if we took the money making out of Drug dealing we would have less shooting in Newark, Less Murder in Columbia, Less broken Holmes in Atlanta, Less People in Jails for senseless, non Violent Offences,

If we say that the people hustling are hustling for the amount of money they can make in a day, Common Sense say's take the large amount of money that can be made out of the deal.

Just my opinion-----------What Say You------------------.
I think if you typed this in Braile it would be more readable.