Welcome To Newark Speaks.com..........The Most Informed Online Community in New Jersey..........Home of 5Reasons * black4rob2 * counterattack * Doofus1 * jazzyken * JoefromPGH * John Sharpe James, J.D. * Klap Bak * LastCubanStanding * Make Newark Clean * Maximus Returns * Miss Tam-Tam * ProSouth * rice2006 * HAVESEENENOUGH * Mark J. * John360 * RACEMATTERS * Caballero De Newark * Poet * Octavia * brotherderek * NewarkNative * Outside * chad1 * newarksbravest * ACLU-NJ * Diamond * ForOurYouth * BraveHeart * 4thGenerationNewarker * Nwrbr * newarkcentral * zengeist * TeachNewark * Inkwell * RealVest * newarkismyhome * OperationRedd*

Go Back   Newark Speaks > Newark Speaks Forums > Newark Talk

Get Ready. There are New Changes Coming To Newark Speaks starting in January, 2016 that will make our forum Bigger, Better, and More Informative. There will also be Powerful Changes to our forum to make NewarkSpeaks.com one of the most protective of poster's Anonymity and Freedom of Speech.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Make Newark Clean
MASTER MEMBER

Default Cellphones Can Be Used Eavesdropping: Family Terrorized

This is pretty chilling stuff. We need to demand security firewalls for cellphones before we're all being monitored against our will for who knows what.

Cell Phone Hijackers Terrorize Family

Quote:
"They're listening to us and recording us. We know that because they will record us and play it back as voice mail," said Kuykendall.

"One of the most common uses of hijacking your phone is enabling the GPS feature.... The[re] are computer programs known as "Snoopware." Illegal versions of the software can be used to hijack a cell phone and even gain remote control of its applications.
By Mark Spain
First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL
-- Millions of cell phones in the hands of millions of people are giving those with bad intentions millions of opportunities to dial up a dose of fear.

Graphic and violent threats were sent to a family in Seattle on their cell phones. They changed numbers and phones, but nothing has worked.

"They left a message on her boyfriend's cell phone in that raspy voice saying, we're going to rape your girlfriend," said Heather Kuykendall.

The family believes anonymous stalkers hijacked the family's cell phones and now follow them everywhere.

"They're listening to us and recording us. We know that because they will record us and play it back as voice mail," said Kuykendall.

"There are several different ways that somebody can hijack your cell phone," said Kelly Forman who runs Spooktech Spy & Security Center on the Southside.

"One of the most common uses of hijacking your phone is enabling the GPS feature. They can track you via several different third party sources like on the internet," Forman said.

They are computer programs known as "Snoopware." Illegal versions of the software can be used to hijack a cell phone and even gain remote control of its applications.

"They can dial into you phone. Your phone doesn't ring and it becomes an open mic. So anybody within ear shot distance can hear everything that's being said on the phone," said Forman.

Forman said there is a device called a "Cellular Jammer" that prevents hijackers from doing damage but the technology is only available to law enforcement and the military.
Make Newark Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Doofus1
MASTER MEMBER

Cell phones are just fancy walky-talkies. I advise all my clients that cell phone conversations are NOT secure. That doesn't stop them from saying things they shouldn't on public airways. The only good thing is that there are now so many cell phones, it is difficult for someone to track the conversations.

Also, cordless home phone conversations are easy to listen in on. Your neighbors could be listening to everything you say.
Doofus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Make Newark Clean
MASTER MEMBER

What's chilling about this is the ability to monitor folks and record their conversations even when one's cellphone is turned off! We must be extremely careful about open ourselves up to public monitoring, whether it be a private criminal or public government.
Make Newark Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Miss Tam-Tam
MASTER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus1
Also, cordless home phone conversations are easy to listen in on. Your neighbors could be listening to everything you say.
When my child was an infant, I had one of those baby monitoring devices which allows you to detect when your infant is crying with a remote receiver. Each and every day this gadget picked up my neighbor's telephone conversations on her cordless phones. I could hear her clear as a bell talking to whomever. I also understand there's a gadget you can buy at Radio Shack, or other electronic stores, that does the same thing. For that reason, I never liked the cordless phones and don't use them.
Miss Tam-Tam is offline   Reply With Quote